Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

you might also enjoy houseki no kuni

You know i enjoyed it, or if you forgot then please add it to the .xls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thankfully we were able to wrest the fire emblem franchise from namtab's control

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Namtab posted:

If i had my way nobody would have feet

And other than that, Mr. Liefeld, how was your day?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't "get" feet

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I get feet, I just don't approve

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah metric is better

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
did you know that there are two types of feet, one of which is defined as 1200/3937 of a meter and the other of which is defined as 0.3048 of a meter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

like theres feet guys in hollywood but itd still be weird to watch a tarantino movie and go 'ugh, hate how common the feet thing is in the industry,' after having watched 7 other tarantino movies. like the thing you have been watching is powered primarily by his foot fetish.

'Boy I sure wish that less of these series were about child soldiers.'

Cracks wrists, sits in easy chair

Well, time to read Dr. Stone, Jujutsu Kaisen and Attack on Titan!

Namtab posted:

If I had my way, hands would be invisible. Artists would make me a Saint.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

If I had my way, hands would be invisible. Artists would make me a Saint.
if I'm elected president of anime, everyone will have Bomberman limbs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You either die a Tarantino or live long enough to become a Dan Schneider.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My favorite game is Fire Emblem Awakening because there are no feet

EDIT: I choose to believe that I made this joke first

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waffleman_ posted:

You either die a Tarantino or live long enough to become a Rob Schneider.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
is tarantino still breeding the perfect actors for kill bill 3

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My contribution to feet talk is that the old tradition of Chinese foot binding basically led to a proto-foot fetish culture where Chinese poets would write about how the smell of bound feet that were beginning to rot from lack of blood circulation got them hard.

Foot binding was pretty hosed up.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah there was a lot about tiny-feet sad wives when i read the good earth as a kid. also opium everywhere man the opium. its really funny when the mc doesnt like his uncle(?) or w/e getting in his way so he just gets him opium hooked for life. legal assassination

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
but also that should not get you going

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
does the trope that doing magical girl stuff earns you A Wish date further back than Madoka or did that become a touchstone because of Madoka's influence

I've seen it several times now in this tour of the last decade, but I can't remember it at all in older stuff, besides Madoka. But also, my knowledge of magical girls is far from encyoclopedic

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's Kobato from 2005 but it's not really a traditional magical girl thing

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
before madoka there is kamen rider ryuki which is generally agreed on as a big influence on madoka and other anime. ryuki itself is pulling from the battle royale format and the premise of a battle royale is usually "the last one standing takes the cake" right, whereas madoka itself doesnt call it a battle royale but shows before and after are closer. stuff like wixoss and granbelm for example are post-madoka but are about peers fighting to secure their wish. before that you had mai hime et al

this stuffs not a linear pipeline basically, the popular stuff will disseminate ideas but isnt often just pulling them from nowhere.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 6, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess when you frame it that way, even Fate/Stay Night is playing in that space

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

cheetah7071 posted:

does the trope that doing magical girl stuff earns you A Wish date further back than Madoka or did that become a touchstone because of Madoka's influence

I've seen it several times now in this tour of the last decade, but I can't remember it at all in older stuff, besides Madoka. But also, my knowledge of magical girls is far from encyoclopedic

A good rule of thumb regarding Madoka is that it didn't really bring anything new to Magical Girl shows outside of taking lots of subtext from the genre and making it plain text. It's why all of the Madoka deconstruction/subversion hot takes were a bit off because the genre has always been dark and hosed up, Madoka just discarded subtlety. Hence the "become a magical girl to get your wish" thing being a literal contract instead of being portrayed via character wants that develop and change over the course of a series. Madoka is full of banger episodes though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I rewatched some Stand Alone Complex and caught up a bit with the Girls Frontline anime while playing Old School Runescape. Good Saturday night.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess when you frame it that way, even Fate/Stay Night is playing in that space

And when you consider that Urobuchi had written the Fate/Zero novels before this, another influence shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Urobuchi also worked on a BL visual novel called Togainu no Chi. He's only credited with direction and supervision, not writing, but.

quote:

Igura is a vicious battle game that may result in the death or murder of participants. To participate, one must go to Toshima's palace, meet with a man named Arbitro, and tell him their reason for their decision to enter into Igura. Upon meeting with Arbitro, participants are given five dog tags, each engraved like a card in a standard deck of playing cards. One tag must hang from the participant's neck as proof of participation. Participants must then put their lives on the line to collect others' tags, with the goal being to collect a Straight or a Full House using cards 10 through Ace. Tags representing cards less than 10 are referred to as "pig tags" and can be used in dedicated neutral zones to purchase sustenance, first aid supplies, and other essentials. If a participant collects a Straight or Full House consisting of the tags representing the cards 10 through Ace, they earn the right to challenge Il Re in battle.

Many participants use a drug called "Rein," which temporarily boosts their strength significantly and gives them an advantage in battle; however, Rein has many side effects, is extremely addictive, and the withdrawal is unbearably unpleasant and can even be fatal. Il Re is involved in the distribution of Rein, which leads to him having a high level of wealth. If they defeat Il Re, they assume his position in distributing Rein and become incredibly wealthy, which is the primary motivation for many of the fighters who join Igura.

The similarities are very much there - 'state your reason,' a component of the game that endangers your life in exchange for power, stealing from the other participants in order to feed yourself/heal yourself, etc. It's a lot more convoluted and less magical but it's probably an influence. (Sidenote, Togainu no Chi is very much an early 2000s nitroplus BL VN, lol, so heads up if you google that one)

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 6, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I haven't watched the second season of Magia Record yet since I'm hoping it gets dubbed, but one thing I like about that show is that it leans a little more into the competitiveness between magical girls for territory and grief seeds. Not a ton more than Madoka did, but a little more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if anyone’s checked it out yet, how’s the Shenmue anime out of curiosity?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first episode was good, actually! I said this in the season thread, but I think removing the story of Shenmue from the shackles of the experience of actually playing Shenmue is going to do it a lot of favors.

For reference, the first episode ended with the first encounter Ryo has with Chai in the dojo, but the beginning of the episode showed the ending of 2 and there were a couple of added scenes with Shenhua.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

it can be helpful to keep track of things like, if a manga artist consistently does things that you dislike, who they are so you know to avoid their work or at least to be prepared for what you're likely to find within

the hard part of that is how to find out that information in the first place. this thread and the season thread are basically all the exposition i have to the weebsphere outside of directly consuming content
i decide what anime to watch by going on anichart and sorting by score when a season starts :v:

e: in any case this is a discussion i'm very passionate about but woefully underprepared for. i really don't know what the right thing to do when it comes to authors being creep weirdos is because it's clearly not just one or two guys who are a tiny minority

marumaru fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 6, 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Put mangaupdates.com in your bookmarks because it's a good resource for tracking new releases and manga you've read/want to read, but also there's info on authors and artists like their other works & short bios (usually links to their social media too where they might post art or publication news). It's handy if you run across a mangaka you don't know much about to see what else they've put out, and the user-designated content tags on all the entries can give you a heads up about content (in a very broad, general way) that you might like/dislike in their work.

e: this is also useful for anime in the case of adaptions because you can see what the source material had in it, which may not map 1:1 to the adaption but can still kind of give you a broad frame of reference.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 6, 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

please don't use MAL/anilist/anichart scores to decide what to watch. you are going to end up with the taste of an edgy 17-year-old

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tales of Woe posted:

please don't use MAL/anilist/anichart scores to decide what to watch. you are going to end up with the taste of an edgy 17-year-old

I'm a superficial shell of a human being that picks strictly based on cover art or the title, so I actually appreciate those really long ones that explain the basic plot/origin.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

e: in any case this is a discussion i'm very passionate about but woefully underprepared for. i really don't know what the right thing to do when it comes to authors being creep weirdos is because it's clearly not just one or two guys who are a tiny minority

the right thing to do, is to avoid artists who draw things that weird you out

like there's. not really anything beyond that. that's it. you just look at their art, and if it has a thing you don't like, stop reading or watching. you can find stories that give similar stuff to maidragon that aren't by cool kyou. art gives people a way to express themselves very vividly and a natural consequence of that, is that people with weird heads, will draw weird things because there is nothing that can stop them within the bounds of art. and there are, a lot, of artists.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 6, 2022

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Arist posted:

the anime of it all

oh the huge anime

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm a superficial shell of a human being that picks strictly based on cover art or the title, so I actually appreciate those really long ones that explain the basic plot/origin.

looking at the key art is definitely a better way to pick shows than user scores. i do that

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Namtab posted:

speaking as a foot-haver, ganbare

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

homeless snail posted:

I don't "get" feet

you have to ask for them, OP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

the hard part of that is how to find out that information in the first place. this thread and the season thread are basically all the exposition i have to the weebsphere outside of directly consuming content
i decide what anime to watch by going on anichart and sorting by score when a season starts :v:

just read stuff/watch stuff that interests you and if something you dont like is in it, stop reading/watching it. idk. its not one or two guys but you can read manga for hundreds of years and not run into that stuff also. because theres a ton of manga.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

I rewatched some Stand Alone Complex and caught up a bit with the Girls Frontline anime while playing Old School Runescape. Good Saturday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWYt-P7yJ1k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'so, wanna go out, or' is a good manga. however it has been given the fail title 'how do we relationship' by the official translation.