Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Collateral posted:

It's all about the twitter dogpile. This special was released a while ago.

What does GRT mean?

Gypsy, Romani, Traveller. It's a catch all term for all groups all these people who experience similar discrimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Red Oktober posted:

I'm pretty much 100% cast iron, due to finding a great le creuset offer on in Debenhams when I was 25 and figuring this would be a good investment. They work brilliantly with cast iron.

oooooooh this is good news

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Maplin seemed aright when I went in a few years back, I wonder how they went out of business while lovely companies like curry's are still going. Who's going to bloody curry's in 2022?

Me, but because the ONS covid survey is continuing to shower me with vouchers :colbert:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I can also confirm induction hobs are great, but touchscreen controls on something that is liato get liquid slashing on it fairly frequently is high idiot design. Make sure you have a teatowel ready while cooking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Maplin seemed aright when I went in a few years back, I wonder how they went out of business while lovely companies like curry's are still going. Who's going to bloody curry's in 2022?

Me, regrettably, when my monitor crapped out and I needed a same day DVI/HDMI cable, which they charged me twenty loving quid for and then I found out my gpu has HDMI ports on it anyway they're just covered.

It is me, I am the mug.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Will keep an eye out for a stand alone single or dual induction hob. :-)

I only cook for myself so it sounds a good option compared to buying a cooker + oven unit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Induction heaters are also great for heating dynavaps

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1458879070704447495

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Marmaduke! posted:

The thing is it wasn't just a joke as he was trying to use it to educate but still got it wrong. The "joke" could have maybe worked if he'd specifically said "And I picked gypsies as the target because of how so many people hate them including all of you in the audience who laughed at it, as that group is still so marginalised and treated like poo poo, so we should all think about that next time someone casually jokes about what scum they are", but no, it's nothing quite that aware. He is allowed to tell poo poo nasty jokes but it's all the others lining up to defend it or pay him for it that are the real problem.

I saw Ross Noble do this a few years back. Got the audience in a punchline/laughter/punchline/laughter sort of rhythm and then as the laughs were fading he pointed out that the last punchline was about exterminating disabled people.
The Jimmy Carr thing came across as so stupid and mean that I was waiting for the trapdoor hiding a deadly serious point about endemic hate in our society/tone policing/censorship/wokeism/Nadine Dorries being the arbiter of comedy.
But now all his mates have come out in defence, it's clear he wasn't throwing a marginalised group under the bus to make any kind of point. He was throwing a marginalised group under the bus for fun. What a poo poo.

R.E. inductionchat- new induction hobs are fearsome beasts. You need a 32A breaker for some of the built in ones, which is the same as a good EV charger. It makes you realise something that's hidden when you're buying energy in so many different sets of units. An absolutely massive quantity of energy comes through your gas meter and that's nothing compared to what comes out of a petrol pump.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ThomasPaine posted:

Eh, strangely when it comes to big ticket white goods or home appliances I trust them over other places.

For instance I got my chest freezer and TV from them in the last few years.

I had originally got my TV from Amazon but it was one of those Amazon sellers or whatever they're called and they not only shipped me a broken shop floor model with a cracked screen, but they were some England only chain and gave me hassle about the delivery into Scotland (both the first time and in picking up the broken tv).

Curry's basically gave me the service you'd expect in the 21st century. I ordered it, they showed up with it. No fuss.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kin posted:

Eh, strangely when it comes to big ticket white goods or home appliances I trust them over other places.

I had originally got my TV from Amazon but it was one of those Amazon sellers or whatever they're called and they not only shipped me a broken shop floor model with a cracked screen, but they were some England only chain and gave me hassle about the delivery into Scotland (both the first time and in picking up the broken tv).

Curry's basically gave me the service you'd expect in the 21st century. I ordered it, they showed up with it. No fuss.

I would absolutely go to somewhere like Curry's over amazon for appliances like that. One thing I've realised with amazon is that when buying goods of that value you have to really really check that they're actually sold by amazon and not fulfilled by them, because the latter you'll have to speak with the actual seller for any issues, and who knows if they're any good.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I can see them going online only soon. The shops are separate from their delivery arm, and the shops are sad and empty.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

They were on the slide, like all retail, but weathered the GFC surprisingly well because their then-owners completely cocked up the normal PE slash-and-burn trick and accidentally paid off the debt. They then flogged it on to another PE firm who started it all up again but also abandoned a lot of their traditional market in an attempt to chase some weird dream of being the place to go for home automation stuff - just as Amazon and Google went into the market completely obliterating the random Shenzhen factory sweepings that Maplin were trying to sell (along with subscriptions).

It probably didn't help that they started opening up new shops just as commercial rents started to go through the roof (the place on Eastcheap alone - formerly a bank, now "Pizza, cocktails & wines presented in a vibrant, industrial-chic venue with live music & DJ sets." - must have been costing them as much as 20 other shops) but as far as I know they were cashflow-positive all the way up to going out of business.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Time to remind everyone that if you want to buy a telly (or any other form of home entertainment) Richer Sounds exist, are no more expensive than any other shop, and are owned by their workers (well 60% owned, with the other 40% going to them when Julian Richer dies). Also they don't pretend to be on first name terms with me in their emails which counts for a lot IMO. It's just a pity they sold up their white goods business to AO.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I mentally mixed up Maplins and Butlins a second there and was briefly very puzzled.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

R.E. inductionchat- new induction hobs are fearsome beasts. You need a 32A breaker for some of the built in ones, which is the same as a good EV charger. It makes you realise something that's hidden when you're buying energy in so many different sets of units. An absolutely massive quantity of energy comes through your gas meter and that's nothing compared to what comes out of a petrol pump.

They have a high peak load when starting up but don't actually use much power overall. We run a 4 burner induction on an off grid solar system at home and it's a pretty small load on the system overall. Maxing it out would draw a bit but you only really use that to boil liquids as max power pretty much incinerates any food.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

I mentally mixed up Maplins and Butlins a second there and was briefly very puzzled.

Not as much of a brain fart as you might expect, the holiday camp in Hi-De-Hi was called Maplins and it's amazing how cultural osmosis can force those things into your brain - I don't think I ever watched a single episode of the show but I still know that.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Time to remind everyone that if you want to buy a telly (or any other form of home entertainment) Richer Sounds exist, are no more expensive than any other shop, and are owned by their workers (well 60% owned, with the other 40% going to them when Julian Richer dies). Also they don't pretend to be on first name terms with me in their emails which counts for a lot IMO. It's just a pity they sold up their white goods business to AO.

Seconding Richer Sounds as a place to buy entertainment stuff.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah Curry's is fine. In Milton Keynes they're paired with PC World in the same building (which makes sense as PC world is owned by Curry's). They're decent enough for appliances. I bought a (cheap) TV from there in like 2012 when I bought my house. Also yeah if you need a cable right now instead of waiting for one to be delivered or something they're OK for that (but also take the absolute piss on cable prices just like everywhere else).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rust Martialis posted:

Maplins funding a big part of the equipment floor of the GPO tower in exchange for a lease would make more sense, but we don't live in sensible world and that actually was Billy Butlin.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Amazing. I should probably have a poke round the rest of the forums (fora?) one day.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Here's a long explanation about the corporate finance fuckery that did in Maplins

Clarence
May 3, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah Curry's is fine. In Milton Keynes they're paired with PC World in the same building (which makes sense as PC world is owned by Curry's). They're decent enough for appliances. I bought a (cheap) TV from there in like 2012 when I bought my house. Also yeah if you need a cable right now instead of waiting for one to be delivered or something they're OK for that (but also take the absolute piss on cable prices just like everywhere else).

That's made me poke around Milton Keynes on google maps trying to remember where PC World is. Some of it's completely changed - I used to play 5-a-side football at the hockey stadium and was confused until I realised it had been completely knocked down.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My banking app asked me to approve a £10 payment to a retailer called 'Adidas' last night, which had nothing to do with me.

I rang the bank and they cancelled the card cos I guess someone got my details somehow. The bank said that the bastards wot dun it tend to start with small payments like that first to see whether you notice and then eventually just clear out the account. First time I've ever (almost) been the victim of a crime like this.

So two handy hints for my goon pals :

1. Get 2FA for your banking, if possible
2. Check your statements regularly!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

I've got a 32A breaker with a dedicated 40A twin and earth going to the cooker anyway, which doesn't use anywhere near that much. The regs say that you can put up to 15kW of cooking appliances (62.5A draw if they were all running full tilt) on that kind of setup without it actually frying it, because

Tomberforce posted:

They have a high peak load when starting up but don't actually use much power overall.
and its expected that you won't turn all oven elements and all induction hobs on at the same time, so I might as well do that (share the feed, not turn all the oven elements and induction hobs on at the same time).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

People coming to his shows are no longer coming for well-crafted jokes that happen to be offensive (he named one of his shows "Joke Technician" because he was described that way in a review, and that was really what he was - he genuinely was one of the best technical standups in the country, able to hone middling material to a razor edge),
I think that's what's so disappointing. The Naked Jape is a really interesting deconstruction of stagecraft and what makes a joke function, the only more memorable tear down I've seen was Nanette. There's even a prescripted counter-heckler bit he used to do where he does a to-audience deconstruction of how a joke works, and It was clever, tightly performed and used as an in to make a 'your mum' joke.

Seeing him go from that to the Netflix show's level of pandering poo poo is just incredibly disappointing. It's so bizarre. I would say it would be worth watching one of his mid-2000s shows and comparing it to the Netflix show, except I really don't think anyone should have to watch the Netflix show because it was absolute dogshit.

When I first watched it I was worried that I had become the 'humourless right-on leftie' stereotype, but it's kind of refreshing to see that no, this was just a terrible show.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1490381246144434176?s=21

Brenda is 100% about to shuffle off if stories like this are being cranked out by the BBC. This feels like Step 0 of Operation London Bridge (or whatever it’s called)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

They went out of business for being a lovely company.
There was one just beside my work, and all of being computer geeks would check out the place if we needed anything.
It was great if you wanted small item poo poo that you didn't want to wait for a week via Amazon, like network cables.
They were then caught increasing prices in September/October so they could then reduce them back to the original price at christmas and claim it was a sale.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 6, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

happyhippy posted:

They were then caught increasing prices in September/October so they could then reduce them back to the original price at christmas and claim it was a sale.
This is how retailers pretend to show savings. Every business does this, as in it's standard practice. A national company has to have just one item in stock in a single branch listed at the higher price for a month. Then the following month, all the other branches are flooded with stock and those items are advertised with the false saving.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1490381246144434176?s=21

Brenda is 100% about to shuffle off if stories like this are being cranked out by the BBC. This feels like Step 0 of Operation London Bridge (or whatever it’s called)

They might just be setting the stage for her to abdicate. Wouldn't be surprised if it was on the table after the jubilee.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

They might just be setting the stage for her to abdicate. Wouldn't be surprised if it was on the table after the jubilee.

She has repeatedly and vehemently denied she will ever abdicate - she considers her uncle's abdication to be what killed her father.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

This is how retailers pretend to show savings. Every business does this, as in it's standard practice. A national company has to have just one item in stock in a single branch listed at the higher price for a month. Then the following month, all the other branches are flooded with stock and those items are advertised with the false saving.

I did not know that.
I know that Curry's were caught having a 'we will refund the difference if you find it cheaper within X miles' and the X was always just short of the nearest competitor.
All other places within the radius was Curry parent company owned, like said before PC World, and Dixons.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 6, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Related to one of the other big chats itt

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1490158093900165121

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

One of my first jobs was inputting that higher price for an item in Bolton so that next month we could claim the "saving" nation wide.

Good times.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

goddamnedtwisto posted:

She has repeatedly and vehemently denied she will ever abdicate - she considers her uncle's abdication to be what killed her father.

Eh it's easy to say that when you're 80 and (relatively) healthy, but she's clearly in declining health and the amount of "work" (and I use that term very loosely) she's doing is dwindling by the day.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RedCollectiveUK/status/1490376537362866184

e: and a bonus CWS
https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1490352193676922885

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 6, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

My banking app asked me to approve a £10 payment to a retailer called 'Adidas' last night, which had nothing to do with me.

I rang the bank and they cancelled the card cos I guess someone got my details somehow. The bank said that the bastards wot dun it tend to start with small payments like that first to see whether you notice and then eventually just clear out the account. First time I've ever (almost) been the victim of a crime like this.

So two handy hints for my goon pals :

1. Get 2FA for your banking, if possible
2. Check your statements regularly!

This is why I have two accounts and only keep small amounts in the one I actually use.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://mobile.twitter.com/EyeEdinburgh/status/1490244098019758082

Not sure if this is true but I hope it is.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They need to work on their marketing/brand image a bit then.

I just googled who they were and its the electronics store in Edinburgh (across from the Museum) that's been there for donkeys but I've always written off because it looks like a second hand store like cash converters.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Surely Boris will obey the unwritten conventions of parliament this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

They need to work on their marketing/brand image a bit then.

I just googled who they were and its the electronics store in Edinburgh (across from the Museum) that's been there for donkeys but I've always written off because it looks like a second hand store like cash converters.

That's probably why they're reasonably cheap! They've been around for decades. I used to use the one in Bloomsbury when I lived/worked around there so at least 30 years.

They do online as well: https://www.richersounds.com/

There used to be a computer store near there to, can't recall the name, but was similar in terms of looking like poo poo but actually being really good with knowledgeable staff etc.