Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its hard to find your footing when you go faster than the speed of sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sonic found his footing, took one step, and then fell into a ditch.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the camera rotated very fast and sonic fell through the ground and died actually

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, while I disagree with the Adventure-era purists who have a hate-on for all the post-Unleashed games, I can at least understand their position and where it comes from.

Sonic 06 stans are just completely baffling to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good things about 06:

-Blaze
-The music
-Shadow kicking Silver in the head

That’s about it as I recall

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m not an Unleashed fan but plenty of people still like that game. It’s stupid to casually alienate part of your fanbase like that just to try and make yourself look “self-aware”

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

But Sonic's first 3D outing was Sonic 3D Blast in 1996, it even says so in the title.

(Not counting Sonic The Fighters, mainline Sonic games only!)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Frankston posted:

But Sonic's first 3D outing was Sonic 3D Blast in 1996, it even says so in the title.

Fighters is technically mainline as Mania makes direct reference to Bean and Bark

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

sega if you're going to keep taking hilarious jabs at sonic 06 then quit being cowards and make it backwards compatible on xbox

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

KingKalamari posted:

Relentless contrarianism and the mainstay of "good music excuses flaming trashfire of everything else."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KingKalamari posted:

The other best part about the Archie Sonic comics was that magical period after Sonic Adventure came out where the art team was frantically attempting to adapt to the updated character designs introduced in those games and failing...

Yardley seems to be were they finally got the updated look down.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

KingKalamari posted:

Man, while I disagree with the Adventure-era purists who have a hate-on for all the post-Unleashed games, I can at least understand their position and where it comes from.

you don't have to be a "stan" to recognize good intent and a lot of potential for honest fun

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

you don't have to be a "stan" to recognize good intent and a lot of potential for honest fun

Yeah, 06 at least has the blueprints of a good game (they were basically trying to make a Sonic Adventure 3 by the looks of things) and probably would have been better if it’d gotten an extra year or so of development rather than being rushed out the door

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

Good things about 06:

-Blaze
-The music
-Shadow kicking Silver in the head

That’s about it as I recall

IT'S NO USE!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Frankston posted:

3D blast didn't use 3d models, it used rasterized renders the same way Donkey Kong Country did.

The Saturn special stage used 3d models but that's it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well then the first 3d sonic game was Knuckles' Chaotix

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Did people not like Generations? I seem to remember it being well received and I remember enjoying it more than the other post-2D games I'd played (one of the Wii fairytale ones and SA2 on the Dreamcast, years after release).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Simply Simon posted:

Don't lie, you're just there for the romance plot.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

06 is a phenomenal dating sim with an okay platformer attached

Disco Pope posted:

Did people not like Generations? I seem to remember it being well received and I remember enjoying it more than the other post-2D games I'd played (one of the Wii fairytale ones and SA2 on the Dreamcast, years after release).
Generations is the best Sonic game by a frankly insane margin

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Generations is the best Sonic game by a frankly insane margin

Except for the final battle that is (I somehow S ranked it a while back and I STILL don’t know how to do that fight properly)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kurieg posted:

3D blast didn't use 3d models, it used rasterized renders the same way Donkey Kong Country did.

The Saturn special stage used 3d models but that's it.

Well they should have called it Sonic Rasterized Blast then. :mad:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Larryb posted:

Except for the final battle that is (I somehow S ranked it a while back and I STILL don’t know how to do that fight properly)

The "proper" way to do it is to That looks like a homing shot. Be careful, Sonic!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fred is on posted:

The "proper" way to do it is to That looks like a homing shot. Be careful, Sonic!

That too. Though I will say recently I found that peppering the boost by mashing the button seems to get you closer to the boss than just holding it down (the rings are still practically invisible in 3D mode though)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Simply Simon posted:

Larryb posted:

Yeah, 06 at least has the blueprints of a good game (they were basically trying to make a Sonic Adventure 3 by the looks of things) and probably would have been better if it’d gotten an extra year or so of development rather than being rushed out the door

See, the problem with that is, if you take away the glitches and other gameplay problems caused by the game's rushed production, you still have to deal with the overly self-serious, nonsense time travel plot and terrible voice acting.

I feel like the only way to really salvage that game's plot would be to do an irreverent, self-aware retelling that basically amounts to "Shadow the Hedgehog is fed up with all this dumb time travel bullshit".

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

KingKalamari posted:

See, the problem with that is, if you take away the glitches and other gameplay problems caused by the game's rushed production, you still have to deal with the overly self-serious, nonsense time travel plot and terrible voice acting.

I feel like the only way to really salvage that game's plot would be to do an irreverent, self-aware retelling that basically amounts to "Shadow the Hedgehog is fed up with all this dumb time travel bullshit".

the overly self-serious, nonsense time travel plot and terrible voice acting are good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

elf help book posted:

the overly self-serious, nonsense time travel plot and terrible voice acting are good

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just remove the Sonic and Silver paths and call it Shadow the Hedgehog 2

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
shadow should travel back in time to murder sonic. with a gun

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s a lol when your anniversary video actively treats the last couple decades worth of output as “3D Sonic am I right fellas?” But also, yeah.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

My man have you heard of a magical invention called "the start button"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

elf help book posted:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

man nurse posted:

It’s a lol when your anniversary video actively treats the last couple decades worth of output as “3D Sonic am I right fellas?” But also, yeah.
The self-awareness would be fine if the past decade decade had shown any of the lessons learned applied to development. Instead we got ANOTHER anniversary game that was still clearly not fully-baked even with an extra year of dev time.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Mania is the best Sonic game by a frankly insane margin

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the true 3d sonic has arrived

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1490429572478865408

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic man nooooo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Self-awareness is cowardly and lame.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thats evil sonic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a different character from shadow the hedgehog

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hey question: what's the best way to play Sonic Unleashed on PC, and is there a mod to remove the night battle music so you can actually hear the tracks? I don't mind beat em ups since I play too much dynasty warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MatchaZed posted:

Hey question: what's the best way to play Sonic Unleashed on PC, and is there a mod to remove the night battle music so you can actually hear the tracks? I don't mind beat em ups since I play too much dynasty warriors.

I think it's actually a bit better in Xenia than it is RCPS3 these days.