Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

nielsm posted:

Could you move the wall outlet/switch here up or to the side, and place the fridge against that wall instead, would that fit?
If you can do that, you could probably add some more (semi-)permanent counter space next to the stove.

Although I see there's also a vent on that wall, maybe not the best to block that off.

You could also switch the fridge and stove around, and install a small countertop against that corner. Maybe add a cabinet or some storage for cookware above it.

The vent is just a stupid pass through directly next to a big opening to the same room with literally no way to block it. Suffice it to say that it can be blocked. Sadly the refrigerator in that spot gives me the heeby jeebies. It fits... technically.

MetaJew posted:

If it is a one story house, over the stove microwave/range hood combo and add a roof exhaust vent. This would free up some counter space.

Mobile kitchen island with a butcher block or other solid top for some food prep or baking needs.

I imagine you could build a rail or shelf to span the cabinets, going over the sink for a little more storage of rarely used items.

These are all definitely on my projects list.

peanut posted:

Put the coffee maker in the window over the sink, or use those outlets to the right of the fridge. A shelf or rack over the trashcan(s).

The standalone stove is frustrating.
Some kind of flat space and rack near the stove would help a lot, the wire rack is an ok start. Something above the stove eventually, but for now you could try magnetic hooks or baskets on the side of the fridge to hold tools, oil, salt, and other essentials.
Luckily we have a designated little coffee station and bar in what was supposed to be a dining room and we made a dining/living room hybrid elsewhere.

The wire rack should be getting a butcher block to here pretty soon and it's on casters already. Definitely good idea with the fridge mounted storage. Gotta get me some powerful magnets.

falz posted:

Bunches of great ideas.

No the fridge would almost block that whole little nook (which happens to be the doorway to the only bathroom in the house lol). I gotta find that Ikea video though.

Thank you all for all great ideas. Sounds like we're headed in the right direction, vertical storage on the walls and window well, utilize drawers well, kitchen island, etc... Gonna put my kitchen zones hat on and think about that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Justa Dandelion posted:

This might not be the right place to post this but my wife and I just moved into a less sprawling house and the kitchen is tripping me up. Can anybody point me to an actually good article or book on home kitchen layout/organization? I am hitting a wall with Google where I can only find cutesy Pinterest storage "hacks". I'll attach some photos in an edit from my computer in case anybody has any practical tips. Pardon the boxes and clutter, we're in the "everything is here, oh crap everything is here" stage of the move. I know we have enough space between the kitchen and pantry but I'm struggling to not repeat the nonsense cupboards and drawers that have been my kitchen life the past 5 years.

I was able to massively expand the utility of my somewhat limited cabinets by adding a bunch of pull outs to the bottoms so that the space can actually be used and you don't have to move a bunch of poo poo to get to things in the back. There's some you can buy but they're $$$ and I couldn't find any that were exactly the dimensions I wanted so I ended up just making them which is a pretty cheap/easy process if you're into that kind of thing.

Also saved a bunch of room by creating some dividers so I could store my dishes in a drawer instead of a cabinet.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Justa Dandelion posted:

I gotta find that Ikea video though.

found it, short but sweet IMO everyone should watch this, ikea or not. its only ~3mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7K8mh3ici0

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Justa Dandelion posted:

This might not be the right place to post this but my wife and I just moved into a less sprawling house and the kitchen is tripping me up. Can anybody point me to an actually good article or book on home kitchen layout/organization? I am hitting a wall with Google where I can only find cutesy Pinterest storage "hacks". I'll attach some photos in an edit from my computer in case anybody has any practical tips. Pardon the boxes and clutter, we're in the "everything is here, oh crap everything is here" stage of the move. I know we have enough space between the kitchen and pantry but I'm struggling to not repeat the nonsense cupboards and drawers that have been my kitchen life the past 5 years.

Edit:

Hello fellow haver of a not-eat-in kitchen with too many doors, not enough counter space, and a freestanding stove! I feel your pain. My kitchen, which has similar vibes but with even less counter space and more doors, sucks and needs serious work. On the bright side, we've figured out some interim mitigation.

Some issues that I immediately notice in your kitchen is the freestanding stove (they are the worst) and underutilization of vertical space.

Short term you can put tall shelving units where the wire rack is and/or next to the fridge in front of that air intake (and have an empty pocket for the light switch). I think you said you'd have a rolling butcher block where the wire rack is? Is the kitchen big enough to have it in the middle like a small island or does it need to live against that wall? Something else you can do is install a pot rack over your stove to free up some cabinet space that would otherwise be taken up by pots and pans.

Since the kitchen is closed and not eat-in, I'm assuming you have a dedicated dining room/area. Absolutely utilize the dining room for additional storage. A sideboard (or better, a big breakfront or Hoosier cabinet) is a super handy piece of storage furniture. You can store stuff like stemware, china and silverware, placemats and napkins, booze, servewear, bowls of fruit, etc. It can take a huge load off your kitchen storage and in turn free up counter space, and you have the stuff you need to set your table right next to your table. I don't know what the gently caress we'd do without our sideboard.

Longer term, changes I'd make include replacing upper cabinets with ones that go to the ceiling - that'll give a several additional cubic feet of enclosed storage. Keep one of those ultra light aluminum step ladders nearby. I think the biggest puzzle of your kitchen is figuring out how to improve the stove/fridge area. You could try to swap their position and try to add some counter space next to the stove and maybe even a narrow lower cabinet for baking sheets and cutting boards. I think a skinnier but taller fridge might be helpful.

All around a challenging space, but your starting point is better than mine. I don't even have counters around my sink.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Be aware that keeping your oven next to the fridge can overheat and spoil the food in the latter in some cases.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
anyone know a place to get a midrange version of this farmhouse dining table? I don't want MDF/sauderwood tier stuff here but this vendor is solid wood and I don't need that either. I'm looking for something around the 36x60 range - needs to be at least 30" wide.

I'm trying to replicate an existing table I've got, it's got planks that are roughly 12" long, maybe pine or maple, and probably a poly finish? It might be wood on wood or something similar. Something along those lines would be perfectly fine. It also doesn't need to be an exact exact match (that picture above is not an exact match either), just something in that style.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 2, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

anyone know a place to get a midrange version of this farmhouse dining table? I don't want MDF/sauderwood tier stuff here but this vendor is solid wood and I don't need that either. I'm looking for something around the 36x60 range - needs to be at least 30" wide.

I'm trying to replicate an existing table I've got, it's got planks that are roughly 12" long, maybe pine or maple, and probably a poly finish? It might be wood on wood or something similar. Something along those lines would be perfectly fine. It also doesn't need to be an exact exact match (that picture above is not an exact match either), just something in that style.

https://www.millstores.com/product/extension-table-w/turned-legs

I don’t know if you have a millstores near you or how much shipping costs. I have this table and it’s good.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

theflyingexecutive posted:

Be aware that keeping your oven next to the fridge can overheat and spoil the food in the latter in some cases.

Yup, the plan is to pull out the range a few extra inches whenever we cook. Sucks but there's like nowhere else the range or stove could go that would suck less lol.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Having your stove right next to the refrigerator sucks from a usability standpoint but I don't think it's going to cause your food to spoil. My kitchen is currently figured the same way (it sucks, a lot) and I haven't had any issues in the two years I've been here. You'll probably make the compressor work harder which potentially shortens the overall lifespan of the fridge but not sure I'd bother pulling out your range when you use it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It shouldn't be a problem with good appliance insulation but I know of people it has happened to, just be aware and maybe run a probe thermometer in your fridge the next time you bake something to be sure.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Could the fridge be moved forward right to swap places with the trashcan? If lightswitch access is still ok?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

peanut posted:

Could the fridge be moved forward right to swap places with the trashcan? If lightswitch access is still ok?

That arrangement really messes with the flow of the room in a way I can't quite put my finger on. It just feels claustrophobic as soon as you want through the door.

For those who asked for some pictures after we unpacked here you go:

the south side from the kitchen entrance

the problematic north side from the same entrance.

the kitchen entrance viewed from the north side of the kitchen

pantry and bunny zone

the cluster gently caress that is our rolling "kitchen island"

coffee zone

adjacent bar

dining nook in living room, pardon the crumbs and food droppings we had a party last night and haven't finished cleaning up.

Our next steps are to place our task zones in the kitchen, for us I think that would look like: washing/drying (dishes and food), cutting/baking, cooking, sauce station, plating/packaging/quick-serve (for lunches and leftovers). We are fortunate to have a small dining nook, a pantry, as well as a coffee station and bar combo area all of which are outside of the kitchen. Organizing purchases will include: a wall mounted bread box; butcher block top for the rolling wire rack island; wall mounted rollers for parchment paper, aluminum foil, etc...; Magnetic tool block; wall mounted holster for spatulas; over oven pot/pan hanger (perhaps a beefy rolling surround platform that the oven can sit on with deployable counters on the side and extra insulation on the fridge side?). Down the line I would like to add a hood vent at the same time as we add a bathroom fan. I say eventually because the ductwork and exhaust does not exist yet.

Thank you all again for the advice and ideas.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

It would feel way less claustrophobic if the upper cabinet near the south entrance weren’t there. Depending on whether you can lose some cabinet storage (or swap it for something shallower like utensil/pot rails or shallower open shelves, it would make it feel better to walk in.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

BadSamaritan posted:

It would feel way less claustrophobic if the upper cabinet near the south entrance weren’t there. Depending on whether you can lose some cabinet storage (or swap it for something shallower like utensil/pot rails or shallower open shelves, it would make it feel better to walk in.

The one that's closest to the door in the first picture?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think that's the best you can do without replacing the stove or fridge with narrower appliances.

The coffee zone rack is good, something just like that behind the stove would be comfy.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Justa Dandelion posted:

The one that's closest to the door in the first picture?

Yes. It definitely looms over the entryway space. If it’s needed, it’s needed, but it’d feel more open if the cabinet wasn’t *right there*.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't think I agree with moving that cabinet, maybe it just feels in the way because of the position the pictures were taken in.

What is the room directly across from your rolling cart? Does it have another entrance? Just wondering if there's any room layout options available like closing that up put put cabinets and counter over there.

Having wall cabinets above the fridge and stove will certainly increase a lot of storage.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
That seems like a perfectly normal place for an upper cabinet? I might be biased because of my hatred of open shelving-everything on open shelves will get nasty fast, especially in a place without a great vent hood.

I think that you can get more out of the storage that you do have with some better organization - you have a ton of wasted space in your pantry with putting short spice bottles in there. Get a couple of short baskets, sort the spices by general use case, and adjust your 2nd shelf on the wire rack to be just tall enough to pull out the basket and grab the bottles. This way you free up valuable pantry space for things like canisters and other bulky objects, plus the spices can be wheeled over to where you're doing the cooking. If there's enough room below, get some s hooks and hang your skillets currently taking up valuable counter space.

I actually have those wire shelves in my apartment and have 2 of them set really shallow to fit all my baking sheets and pie dishes, etc. They're all upside down to keep the cooking surface clean since they're out in the open. They take up so much less space than if they were in a cabinet. I can also set baked goods straight onto them to cool.

Don't be afraid to take out one of the shelves in the pantry for tall things - it feels a little like you're losing storage space, but you'll be able to store a lot of grocery stuff and free up lower cabinets for bulkier things.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

The Dave posted:

What is the room directly across from your rolling cart? Does it have another entrance? Just wondering if there's any room layout options available like closing that up put put cabinets and counter over there.

That's the only bathroom and yes there's technically another entrance from the guest bedroom but the guest bedroom door is already awkward because of the stove position.

And yeah Hutla the current layout is definitely not optimal, just had to get it unpacked and usable for my wife's bday party last night. Those are some solid ideas.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Could you sketch out a floorplan of cursed kitchen? My next genius recommendation is to fully relocate the heckin doors of the bathroom and guest bedroom.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The combination of cat activity toy and fragile, easily knocked over glasses in close proximity fills me with anxiety.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Collateral Damage posted:

The combination of cat activity toy and fragile, easily knocked over glasses in close proximity fills me with anxiety.

Hell just having that narrow tall cart on carpet with a narrow human space behind it. Push it up against the wall pretty please?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Kitchen is a lost cause. I suggest burning it down and starting over

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Justa Dandelion posted:

That arrangement really messes with the flow of the room in a way I can't quite put my finger on. It just feels claustrophobic as soon as you want through the door.

pantry and bunny zone

coffee zone

adjacent bar

dining nook in living room, pardon the crumbs and food droppings we had a party last night and haven't finished cleaning up.

Our next steps are to place our task zones in the kitchen, for us I think that would look like: washing/drying (dishes and food), cutting/baking, cooking, sauce station, plating/packaging/quick-serve (for lunches and leftovers). We are fortunate to have a small dining nook, a pantry, as well as a coffee station and bar combo area all of which are outside of the kitchen. Organizing purchases will include: a wall mounted bread box; butcher block top for the rolling wire rack island; wall mounted rollers for parchment paper, aluminum foil, etc...; Magnetic tool block; wall mounted holster for spatulas; over oven pot/pan hanger (perhaps a beefy rolling surround platform that the oven can sit on with deployable counters on the side and extra insulation on the fridge side?). Down the line I would like to add a hood vent at the same time as we add a bathroom fan. I say eventually because the ductwork and exhaust does not exist yet.

first of all that's a sick vintage bar

secondly, partially informed by my habit of cooking elaborate meals and my tendency to severely injure myself if there isn't enough stable counter space for food prep, if this was my kitchen I would do a few things:

- make the chopping and food prep area as expansive as possible by moving everything except knives/holder off the portion of the counter to the left of the sink. cast iron pans can go on the backing rack and storage canisters can go on the window sill above the sink (if they don't have heat sensitive things in them)
- to free up windowsill space, get a drying rack to go directly to the left of the microwave or in one of the sink basins (maybe a clever folding one)
- consider relocating the microwave on top of the rolling island, which would free up some space for a second food prep area on the right side of the sink (i don't like prepping on anything that isn't rock solid, but if it works for you, then ok)
- might get a rolling rack that is twice as high in place of the rolling kitchen island/backing rack, and one that doesn't jut out the corner like that (otherwise i could see myself running into that and knocking everything over pretty easily)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I would go for the full cabinet + mounted microwave above the stove to get more counter space.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

kreeningsons posted:

first of all that's a sick vintage bar

secondly, partially informed by my habit of cooking elaborate meals and my tendency to severely injure myself if there isn't enough stable counter space for food prep, if this was my kitchen I would do a few things:

- make the chopping and food prep area as expansive as possible by moving everything except knives/holder off the portion of the counter to the left of the sink. cast iron pans can go on the backing rack and storage canisters can go on the window sill above the sink (if they don't have heat sensitive things in them)
- to free up windowsill space, get a drying rack to go directly to the left of the microwave or in one of the sink basins (maybe a clever folding one)
- consider relocating the microwave on top of the rolling island, which would free up some space for a second food prep area on the right side of the sink (i don't like prepping on anything that isn't rock solid, but if it works for you, then ok)
- might get a rolling rack that is twice as high in place of the rolling kitchen island/backing rack, and one that doesn't jut out the corner like that (otherwise i could see myself running into that and knocking everything over pretty easily)
We moved from a house with expansive counter space to one with slightly-below-average amounts of counter space and it's killing me. Counter space is at an absolute premium and I'm doing everything I can to get stuff off. An under cabinet paper towel rack and tri-level hanging fruit/vegetable rack/basket thing are the two latest wins.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Justa Dandelion posted:

pantry and bunny zone

coffee zone

adjacent bar

If you still wanted to de-clutter your space, there’s more you can do. You have 6 cast iron pans, two tea kettles, a huge 70’s punch bowl, a very crowded coffee bar that takes up a lot of space. That’s just what’s obvious from the photos. Maybe these are all things you want and need, or maybe you could trim down more.

That kitchen island looks pretty useless and doesn’t fit the space well at all, and seems to just be a place to put more stuff in a disorganized way. Better storage in that spot would be useful.

Edit- found a 3rd tea kettle! And a coffee pot and a French press. Could you live with one or the other? Maybe not, but cutting down on all the STUFF you have might be a lot easier than figuring out storage in a small space.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 6, 2022

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

spf3million posted:

We moved from a house with expansive counter space to one with slightly-below-average amounts of counter space and it's killing me. Counter space is at an absolute premium and I'm doing everything I can to get stuff off. An under cabinet paper towel rack and tri-level hanging fruit/vegetable rack/basket thing are the two latest wins.

those are good ideas.

just under 3 feet total of counter top space haver over here. :wave:

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

BigFactory posted:

If you still wanted to de-clutter your space, there’s more you can do. You have 6 cast iron pans, two tea kettles, a huge 70’s punch bowl, a very crowded coffee bar that takes up a lot of space. That’s just what’s obvious from the photos. Maybe these are all things you want and need, or maybe you could trim down more.

That kitchen island looks pretty useless and doesn’t fit the space well at all, and seems to just be a place to put more stuff in a disorganized way. Better storage in that spot would be useful.

Edit- found a 3rd tea kettle! And a coffee pot and a French press. Could you live with one or the other? Maybe not, but cutting down on all the STUFF you have might be a lot easier than figuring out storage in a small space.

Lol the blue tea kettle is going to good will, the copper one is a family heirloom that we keep because it's pretty. No idea where we are going to be putting it but deffo not the kitchen. Coffee bar has been a bit of a crap catch since we unpacked so that definitely could be better, same with the rolling cart. These photos are from the day after everything came out of boxes and was haphazardly put into places also the morning after a party. We did not trim our crap as aggressively as I'd have liked before the move but we are actively working on that now. Don't you talk poo poo about my punch bowl though, that is a crucial party hosting piece for me.

Regarding people's concerns about the bar placement, that might be an optical illusion because there is plenty of space behind the bar for a person and also the bar is quite bottom heavy and stable. That is a good point about the wine glasses and cat toy land though. I hate those glasses and they don't fit anywhere so I'd be ok if they broke but the repercussion for the cat would likely be not great.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The important thing is you post pictures every time you reorganize because now we're all overly invested.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

How Not to Frame example #629

So I picked this up, as it hit the magic trio of being 1) interesting looking print 2) interesting looking frame 3) cheap enough that I can work on either and not worry

Taking off the flimsy paper glued to the back and... this does not look right. Back mats/backing boards are not supposed to have plate marks (the line that gets pressed into the paper from the edges of the copper plate when the image is made)

Yep, there's no back support at all, that's just the actual artwork nailed/somewhat glued to the frame

And what the hell did they do to the frame??

So instead of getting a frame that fit, they just roughly chiselled out some space to shove the excess paper into the bottom?

The darker brown was covered by/touching the wood, and got this discoloured from the acid in said wood. This is what you use good quality framing materials - acidity kills paper.

I guess they didn't trim the paper because there's actually a hidden signature under here! Bad news, though - it's so dark that you can only really see the signature via reflected light like this

I don't know if this label is for the framer, but, if it is, you suck Paul

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. I’m trying to set up a home office for two in a fairly constrained space and I’m wondering if a product like I’m imagining exists for the home market.

I’m looking for something like a Bisley drawer cabinet (or any other drawer cabinet, preferably locking, and preferably not a hanging filing cabinet) with a bookshelf on top of it. However, the bookshelf would go front to back, creating a divider between two desks.

If this does exist at the home consumer level, what do I call it? I’ve found lots of front-facing shelving like this, but nothing that’s oriented in the direction I’m looking for. Wfh isn’t going anywhere for us any time soon, so I’m willing to budget plenty for the right thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think you might as well bite the bullet, get the base you want, and find (or more likely build) a separate bookcase you want to stack on top.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

BadSamaritan posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. I’m trying to set up a home office for two in a fairly constrained space and I’m wondering if a product like I’m imagining exists for the home market.

I’m looking for something like a Bisley drawer cabinet (or any other drawer cabinet, preferably locking, and preferably not a hanging filing cabinet) with a bookshelf on top of it. However, the bookshelf would go front to back, creating a divider between two desks.

If this does exist at the home consumer level, what do I call it? I’ve found lots of front-facing shelving like this, but nothing that’s oriented in the direction I’m looking for. Wfh isn’t going anywhere for us any time soon, so I’m willing to budget plenty for the right thing.

Ummm... a secretary?

It is a combination cabinet/desk/bookcase and is an excellent piece of furniture for a small office (provided that you don't require a huge space for multiple monitors and poo poo). I did my homework in grade school at one of these. I loved having all my books and knickknacks in the upper part. Also all parts of them are lockable with a cool skeleton key.

That's not quite what you described though. Maybe a lower cabinet with a freestanding bookcase placed on top in the right orientation would do the trick? Basically you want a divider between desks that also provides storage?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Queen Victorian posted:

That's not quite what you described though. Maybe a lower cabinet with a freestanding bookcase placed on top in the right orientation would do the trick? Basically you want a divider between desks that also provides storage?

Secretary’s are pretty cool but our space doesn’t allow for much in the way of east-west storage (for lack of a better term). Hurray for retrofitting a wfh space- I’ve got a max of 20” to work with. The current setup has an awful, dying cabinet of IKEA drawers that would be replaced by whatever we put there. We’ve got a lot of reference books used by one of us. I’d like to kill two birds with one stone and have (deep? north-south?) drawer storage with some book and printer storage.

Currently looking at modifying/staining an IKEA BROR shelf and putting a slim file cabinet in the base, but I’d be happier with a more handsome, one piece solution. We have cats and little kids, so any tall, heavy thing has to be attached to itself and the wall.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

BadSamaritan posted:

Secretary’s are pretty cool but our space doesn’t allow for much in the way of east-west storage (for lack of a better term). Hurray for retrofitting a wfh space- I’ve got a max of 20” to work with. The current setup has an awful, dying cabinet of IKEA drawers that would be replaced by whatever we put there. We’ve got a lot of reference books used by one of us. I’d like to kill two birds with one stone and have (deep? north-south?) drawer storage with some book and printer storage.

Currently looking at modifying/staining an IKEA BROR shelf and putting a slim file cabinet in the base, but I’d be happier with a more handsome, one piece solution. We have cats and little kids, so any tall, heavy thing has to be attached to itself and the wall.

Honestly, I'd consider commissioning a custom piece from a local carpenter. What you want is super specific with and I very highly doubt that you'll find it in an existing piece of furniture. And a custom piece is going to be much more attractive than a bookcase set on top of a cabinet (and also more stable).

My husband and I are probably going to end up commissioning a custom media console, speaking of custom furniture - there's no mass produced piece that we could find that meets all of our specifications - needs to be short enough (proper viewing height is a big thing for us and almost everything is 2+ inches too tall) and be able to accommodate our particular combination of game consoles.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't think you'll find a north-south cabinet with east-west shelves, but there might be something like a phone/fax stand or kitchen appliance rack that fits.

Cubes and storage baskets are adequate for many purposes.
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/cat/cube-storage-55012/

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

BadSamaritan posted:

Definitely doesn't solve your problem but bisley does make these neat hairpin legs

They also make a wooden desktop thing that matches the size. Imo you could with fairly minimal tools (and a friend who can do some tack welds for you) fabricate a metal frame with shelving made from those wooden desktops that fits the look and dimensions of a bisley file cabinet to bolt to the top of your unit.

Edit: hell, get two of these and place the cabinet inside of one, bolt the other one upside down to the top, tack weld some braces for shelves and get a few of the wooden tops for the shelves and some hairpin legs. You must do it all in the safety cone orange though for maximum visual impact.

Edit 2: oh those desktops are way, way bigger than I thought. NVM on those but you can still do the shelf idea.

Edit 3: missed the memo about the book shelf being a divider. Basically disregard anything I have had to say on the matter. I will see myself out.

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 10, 2022

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

if it's within your budget you could definitely set something up with modular pieces from USM Haller.

They even have a handy tool on their website for configuring designs. https://us.usm.com/pages/usm-haller-configurator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dandelion do a thorough decluttering first. you have a lot of stuff just scattered around instead of in storage. pull out literally everything in your kitchen (well not literally) and divide into keep, sell, donate, throw

kreeningsons posted:

if it's within your budget you could definitely set something up with modular pieces from USM Haller.

They even have a handy tool on their website for configuring designs. https://us.usm.com/pages/usm-haller-configurator

I mean yeah, but there's going to be some major sticker shock with USM Haller