Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

(outside of maybe ruby) when interviewing.

after I turned down a counter offer at my last job they asked if I would be interested in a lead dev position in another business unit. I said I’ll talk to them.

ruby and php. in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i dont think ive ever met anyone who works for goog even on these forums. i think it probably breaks down to experts who work on their advertising platform and dont really care about anything else cause they know ads are the money maker and then dumb fucker web "developers" who got hired out of college and dont know any better cause they're children.

the former is embarrassed to admit what they do for a living and the later dont post here.

there is at least one of the former here, and i'm pretty sure they make over seven figures at it, so i wonder if someone like that has to fully drink the flavor-aid to get to that level.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can't believe theg uy who has never left maine has never met a googler

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines posted:

i don't know where the hell the google thread went, so here

google kills their laptop and tablet teams to focus on game console development, a long term goal which surely they won't abandon after a couple half-assed products bought by approximately no one in which they completely fail to gain any significant traction in the market

lmao. called it just under three years ago.

they've got a hell of a product lifecycle these days

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

there were a few who got salty over the reception of stadia pre-launch when 90% of the coverage that wasn't bought and paid for was joking about when it would get shitcanned

probably because they knew, deep down, that the naysayers are probably right

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Google needs to spend, in a sustained manner, some serious cash on their moonshots. The xbox is probably the only thing ballmer got right, and he had no problem dumping a billion dollars when it was needed.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

lmao. called it just under three years ago.

they've got a hell of a product lifecycle these days

Tablets are coming back, baby!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01/google-says-tablets-are-the-future-wants-to-hire-android-tablet-leadership/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gently caress. too bad there's no longer an oem making android tablets they can just buy out and then never use the talent from

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i want raju powers's opinion

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pollyanna, fuzzymammal, and i all work at google. others too who post less like jose valesquez

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shaggar posted:

the kind of person who chooses gcp and/or goog apps is the dumbest on earth and its probably the biggest red flag (outside of maybe ruby) when interviewing.

the one time i worked on an appengine project it was a startup that decided to rewrite their working dotnet thing into python+coffeescript+backbone on appengine (this was at the tail end of the time period where coffeescript and backbone were cool before react came along). there's stiff competition for which part of that terrible decision was the worst, but i do lean towards picking appengine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
someone was smart enough to pick .net from the start. what happened?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my impression of Google employees from the ones I’ve met is that there are two types, as mentioned, but the split is 1) college grad who went directly to Google, and 2) someone who worked at a normal job before.

the first ones have been told that they’re geniuses because Google only hires geniuses, and they believe it. they literally think anything Google does is smarter then anything any other company can do. they don’t really see the failures as meaning anything because they’re told that they need to launch hits or kill them fast, and think this is just how it’s done. they never think about customers or users because the whole company doesn’t care about them, they only care about metrics of product success. the idea that they can burn a customer who relied on something and then that customer will not trust them again doesn’t make sense to them. google is the best, everyone loves it, nobody thinks bad things about Google.

the second group are aware of the absurdity of it all. some of them can assimilate and just go along, keeping quiet around the naive googlers. others reject it and bail out soon.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shaggar posted:

someone was smart enough to pick .net from the start. what happened?

i think they were a contractor who did not stick around for obvious reasons (i also was a contractor who did not stick around for obvious reasons)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

does google even know that their public image is of a bunch of flaky, easily distracted children? that the idea of google "support," in any sense of the word, is a running joke?

pretty sure they do, you can kind of tell by the fact that they are pretending that stadia isn't actually cancelled in the saddest way possible.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

can't believe theg uy who has never left maine has never met a googler

lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hobbesmaster posted:

after I turned down a counter offer at my last job they asked if I would be interested in a lead dev position in another business unit. I said I’ll talk to them.

ruby and php. in 2022.

nothin wrong with php these days :colbert:

there are businesses that use GCP and google apps, they're just also worthless startups that will probably go under before their infrastructure gets rug pulled

i work for a place that has decided to adopt gcp for everything and i've been patiently waiting for the inevitable "we're getting out of the public cloud biz" announcement

i'm not sure how anyone looks at what goog is doing and decides "yes, i will hitch my entire business plan to this offering from a company known for its long-term support of its products"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm very sorry about your CIO

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
your c-suite is a piece of poo poo

cio is probably a green bubble bumpkin

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

your c-suite is a piece of poo poo

yeah lol

they were all Cloud First so we did. then they got the first bill, lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
never trust google with your infrastructure

https://twitter.com/bwjones/status/1490802506628145153

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

yeah lol

they were all Cloud First so we did. then they got the first bill, lmao

the cleverest thing that aws does with serverless is all the training that has the subtext of “if you get a giant bill it’s your fault”

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yep lol

hobbesmaster posted:

the cleverest thing that aws does with serverless is all the training that has the subtext of “if you get a giant bill it’s your fault”

i do remember this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

100 TB for the entire institution? In 2022?

That's literally like $2500 of hard drives. Lmaoo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

promising a university unlimited storage seems really dumb. a university believing someone is going to give them unlimited storage for a flat fee seems really dumb

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

promising a university unlimited storage seems really dumb. a university believing someone is going to give them unlimited storage for a flat fee seems really dumb

i'm guessing they didn't have a service agreement either if, one day, google just went "hey, you suddenly have limited storage"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

So nice they killed it twice: Google+’s business pivot is dead

just gonna savour that headline

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imo it's pretty funny that even microsoft was able to somehow shoehorn sharepoint into a workable collaboration/chat app but google, despite making chat apps for 15 years, can't swing it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

Ron Amadeo - Reviews Editor

By the way, the "Google Currents" mentioned here should not be confused with the earlier product called "Google Currents" which existed from 2011-2013 as a magazine app. Similarly, the "Spaces" product here should not be confused with the earlier "Google Spaces" messaging app, which existed for nine months in 2016.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

but google, despite making chat apps for 15 years, can't swing it

they havent made chat apps for 15 years, theyve made 15 yearly versions of an entirely new application

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

imo it's pretty funny that even microsoft was able to somehow shoehorn sharepoint into a workable collaboration/chat app but google, despite making chat apps for 15 years, can't swing it

you seem to have a broad definition of "workable"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Midjack posted:

it makes money, that's all it needs to be in the end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

they havent made chat apps for 15 years, theyve made 15 yearly versions of an entirely new application

each chat app has been approximately 6% as good as a proper one should be, so just a couple more years and they'll have collectively made one whole one!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Midjack posted:

I prefer teams to slack so, yeah

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I prefer teams to slack so, yeah

the teams fat client on macos is a gigantic piece of poo poo, but being integrated with office 365 is nice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google invents monochrome icons again in android 13

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i know when i look at my phone i really appreciate it telling a ~brand story~, instead of it just being really easy to find the one app i'm looking for

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

i know when i look at my phone i really appreciate it telling a ~brand story~, instead of it just being really easy to find the one app i'm looking for

otoh googles own icon design language is just about as easy to differentiate between with or without color.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Midjack posted:

everyone has legitimate gripes with MS Teams but it does let you chat, share documents, and hold meetings, so yes it is "workable"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh googles own icon design language is just about as easy to differentiate between with or without color.

i think the icons are easier to differentiate as outlines. the colour ones don't have any real distinctiveness, so losing the colour isn't an issue, but they've made the outlines somewhat clearer so they're easier to distinguish at a glance

they're mostly logos for the services though, so they're useless unless you already know what those services are anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I haven't run into anything I don't like about teams. way better than skype