Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Kyrosiris posted:

It's just so confusing because it was at the start of the turn, I hadn't even started developing, just blind blasted Raigeki to clear my own way and... that.

Its not uncommon for people to Maxx C after the first card play. Usually its not the right play, but depending on the decks, it could be a correct move. Beginners will very often do it right at the start though, so it common on master duel. Then, the Ash prompt came up, and they either misclicked or didn't realize that it was in response to the Maxx C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Getting used to the chain vs mtg's stack has absolutely caused me to handtrap myself. Fun times

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The chain is so potentially confusing that the anime itself took a time out to explain it once.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MegaZeroX posted:

Its not uncommon for people to Maxx C after the first card play. Usually its not the right play, but depending on the decks, it could be a correct move. Beginners will very often do it right at the start though, so it common on master duel. Then, the Ash prompt came up, and they either misclicked or didn't realize that it was in response to the Maxx C.
The correct play is usually to Maxx C chaining off of their first effect that'd special summon, right? That way even if they don't play, you're guaranteed to at least +0. And then they aren't necessarily playing around knowing they can only make one SS without stabbing themselves in the foot.

Having Maxx C legal does some weird things to the meta but is also kind of fun. I kinda wanna see it unbanned in the TCG, at least at 1 copy. Nibiru already exists, so it's not like it's totally unprecedented for there to be hand traps that punish Link climbing, et al.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 7, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Maxx c againt me is always correct bc super quants folds hard to maxx c lol

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Deofuta posted:

Getting used to the chain vs mtg's stack has absolutely caused me to handtrap myself. Fun times

That, and conditions apparently being checked on activation, rather than resolution. I was playing my Pendulum deck against a Blue-Eyes deck. My opponent activated Burst Stream of Destruction (If you control "Blue-Eyes White Dragon": Destroy all monsters your opponent controls. "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" you control cannot attack the turn you activate this card.) - and I thought I could deal with it by destroying their Blue-Eyes White Dragon in response. I was very surprised when it still resolved as normal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skios posted:

That, and conditions apparently being checked on activation, rather than resolution. I was playing my Pendulum deck against a Blue-Eyes deck. My opponent activated Burst Stream of Destruction (If you control "Blue-Eyes White Dragon": Destroy all monsters your opponent controls. "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" you control cannot attack the turn you activate this card.) - and I thought I could deal with it by destroying their Blue-Eyes White Dragon in response. I was very surprised when it still resolved as normal.
That's a Problem Solving Card Text thing. Everything before the colon on a card with an activated ability is condition or cost. Other cards where destroying the monster would work have verbiage like "If, after this card resolves, you control "Blue-Eyes White Dragon", destroy all monsters your opponent controls."

Yugioh is ridiculously allergic to just creating a keyword system with homogenized effects, and has instead decided the best route to go is "stupidly specific grammar." (See also: The difference between mandatory When effects, mandatory If effects, optional When effects, optional If effects, and which can or can't miss the timing. Also, the whole concept of missing the timing.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Skios posted:

I've been looking at tutorials on YouTube, specifically to see if I can turn my current Pendulum Magician deck into Pendulum Magician FTK/OTK off of Lyrilusc - Independent Nightingale. Unfortunately the only YouTuber I've found so far that was talking about this deck is pretty horrible, declaring every card either 'based' or 'cucked' and constantly talking about how he's going to clap his opponent's cheeks. Are there any good resources on this deck before I take apart my Blue Eyes deck and commit?

If you're talking about Trif, there are much bigger issues than him using that language. Avoid him like the plague.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

girl dick energy posted:

That's a Problem Solving Card Text thing. Everything before the colon on a card with an activated ability is condition or cost. Other cards where destroying the monster would work have verbiage like "If, after this card resolves, you control "Blue-Eyes White Dragon", destroy all monsters your opponent controls."

Yugioh is ridiculously allergic to just creating a keyword system with homogenized effects, and has instead decided the best route to go is "stupidly specific grammar." (See also: The difference between mandatory When effects, mandatory If effects, optional When effects, optional If effects, and which can or can't miss the timing. Also, the whole concept of missing the timing.)

So I've been wondering, is the grammar any better / easier to follow in Japanese? Its it at least more concise?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

The correct play is usually to Maxx C chaining off of their first effect that'd special summon, right? That way even if they don't play, you're guaranteed to at least +0. And then they aren't necessarily playing around knowing they can only make one SS without stabbing themselves in the foot.

Having Maxx C legal does some weird things to the meta but is also kind of fun. I kinda wanna see it unbanned in the TCG, at least at 1 copy. Nibiru already exists, so it's not like it's totally unprecedented for there to be hand traps that punish Link climbing, et al.

Yeah, but not all cases. Like, with Skystrikers, they are basically only going to be doing extra deck special summoning (at least for their first special summon), and when you Maxx C in response to an extra deck summon, it doesn't count that initial summon, you are better off just chaining Maxx C immediately when you know they are on it if they are going first, unless their first play is exactly to summon Raye, in which case its probably just better to hold it since it won't do anything because they can just chain her to their only special summon of the turn. If they are going second, then they will usually bring out Hayate first so you can also chain it to them sending a card from deck to GY, which will cause them to be in a bind, where they either let you draw 2, let you draw one and get the card they sent, let your draw one and get a search for some other card that isn't in the GY, or just awkwardly pass with Hayate out.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 7, 2022

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

So I've been wondering, is the grammar any better / easier to follow in Japanese? Its it at least more concise?

Yes.

The issue is that the idiots in charge of the TCG don't want to have a rulings database or need outside sources to understand the game. They want everyone to figure out how a card works and interact with other cards just by looking at it and reading it.

For obvious reasons, this does not work! The TCG came up with Problem Solving Card Text so that everyone could understand how things function but for the most part all it has done is make the game more confusing!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Cards with multiple or sequential effects also have them numbered in Japanese.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Snoww, Unlight of Dark World is still one of the most terribly worded cards in the entire game and I hate it so much.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

*Last Turn has entered the chat*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Oh hey did someone mention both 'Last Turn' and 'PSCT' on the same page?

https://twitter.com/MBTYuGiOh/status/1363498654888308737
https://twitter.com/MBTYuGiOh/status/1363500347453550604

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Dare I ask who Mika is/was?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ardeem posted:

Dare I ask who Mika is/was?

That's TreeTopDuelist's real name.

And MBT and Cimo tried to resolve Last Turn correctly I think three times over three different series, and only got it right with the aid of an official judge.

And the guy using it lost anyway, because even if you do resolve it correctly Last Turn can blow up in your face.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Thanks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've never actually played Trinity format but it seems neat. What's it like?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah, but not all cases. Like, with Skystrikers, they are basically only going to be doing extra deck special summoning (at least for their first special summon), and when you Maxx C in response to an extra deck summon, it doesn't count that initial summon, you are better off just chaining Maxx C immediately when you know they are on it if they are going first, unless their first play is exactly to summon Raye, in which case its probably just better to hold it since it won't do anything because they can just chain her to their only special summon of the turn. If they are going second, then they will usually bring out Hayate first so you can also chain it to them sending a card from deck to GY, which will cause them to be in a bind, where they either let you draw 2, let you draw one and get the card they sent, let your draw one and get a search for some other card that isn't in the GY, or just awkwardly pass with Hayate out.

I played Skystrikers and managed to establish Domain of the Monarchs on my first turn. Other player had no counter and quickly realized the only move was to set and pass. I won in three-four turns

Props to them for not scooping

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They could out it by drawing Afterburners or Engage, wouldn't be correct to scoop there.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

girl dick energy posted:

Maxx "C" is one of those cards that you kind of have to have at either 3 or 0. Limiting it means you can't build decks around it because it doesn't come up frequently enough, but when it does, it's an absolute sack card that basically wins the game for whoever draws it first, whether they're going first or second, since in modern yugioh it's basically "You don't build a board? I Win. You do try building a board? I draw hand traps to disrupt you and enough cards to out your board and I win."

Generally formats with no Maxx "C" benefit combo decks more, because they can't play through it unless they draw the specific counter in the form of called by the grave, crosscut designator+ maxx "c", or ash blossom, and running those cards makes the deck more bricky and inconsistent.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

King of Solomon posted:

If you're talking about Trif, there are much bigger issues than him using that language. Avoid him like the plague.

Yeah, his language was a massive red flag for me. So what's his particular malfunction? Strong opinions on age of consent laws, or insisting that he can use the gamer word?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Skios posted:

Yeah, his language was a massive red flag for me. So what's his particular malfunction? Strong opinions on age of consent laws, or insisting that he can use the gamer word?

Assaulting a woman on a plane I believe.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yup you can see the post and video here since he deleted the post obviously.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I have no desire to witness an assault, but thanks for the heads up. Good to see that unironically talking about things being 'cucked' and 'based' continues to have a 100% track record as a red flag.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Wait were not calling things based anymore?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

based on what

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its w

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Wait were not calling things based anymore?

"Based" is fine, I think? Using "cucked" unironically though is weird.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Moving the conversation away from rapey freaks: I'm trying to make my favorite girls work since they work in Master Duels, but also pairing them with other cards. So, show of hands, which of these sounds less insane: Invoked Lunalight, or Lunalit Shaddolls?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lunalight Tri-Brigade is a thing, its almost entirely Lunalight just stealing some Tri support cards and Link monsters. I've seen it played a few times, no idea how powerful it is.

Haven't really seen them outside of that or acting as Tri-Brigade support tbh.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Bouncing between Gold 1/Plat 5 is super frustrating now that its settled into a morass of Drytron/Tri-Brigade. Jesus give me anything to play against that isn't my opponent playing solitaire for minutes on end.

also Eva is the worst card and whoever designed it should feel bad about themselves

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zore posted:

Lunalight Tri-Brigade is a thing, its almost entirely Lunalight just stealing some Tri support cards and Link monsters. I've seen it played a few times, no idea how powerful it is.

Haven't really seen them outside of that or acting as Tri-Brigade support tbh.

hello, im doing this right now. Did pretty well until Platinum because of people who dont read my drat cards. Leo Dancer is untargetable/destructable and not many decks can out that if theyre not fully invested in meta staples, But most importantly, When banished, Kaleido chick is a Utopic Zexal for that turns battle phase. This almost makes up for Fusion lunalights being just able to OTK.
Plus panther dancer is just the funniest thing if your opponents board is full of monsters to run into.

Its very feast or famine if you're using the fusion side of lunalights as I am (Warning: Go Second or Scoop). But Im guessing its pretty consistent if all you do is Tiger/Yellow marten loops for link materials. Not nearly as good as Zoo/Lyrilusc hybrids though, but pretty budget rarity wise. Personally im waiting for the branded stuff so I can get some real consistency boosts and i can dump the tri-brigades.

And when you get tired of them, they share a pack with lyriluscs so pretty good value overall.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 8, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is my current build. I'm probably gonna pull Fusion Substitute for a Super Poly, find a spot for 1-2 Forbidden Droplet, and find room for Fire Fist - Swan in the extra deck. The main issue is that there's a lot of competition for the normal summon, so if I get Kaleido-chick and an Aleister in the same hand, I kind of have to use one inefficiently in order for it to not be dead in hand. That being said, "I have too many combo starters" is a pretty good problem to have, compared to my usual brickfests.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zore posted:

also Eva is the worst card and whoever designed it should feel bad about themselves

:agreed:

I don't begrudge Tri-Brigade that much because, as a Dragonmaids player, my most involved turns can get similarly bullshit. :shobon:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Got my first crooked cook today.... AND FORGOT WHICH MONSTER HAS PIERCING DAMAGE and promptly fused her off to try and bounce it with Zeus. :suicide:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
As always complaining about it on the internet works, just got a fun run of Thunder Dragon, Cyber Dragon, Fluffal and a mirror Dino opponent which let me get enough wins to climb to the lofty heights of Plat 4.

Now to see if I have enough willpower to grind through all the duels I'll need to to get up to Rank 1 by the end of the month. I would like more gems so I can potentially actually try another deck at some point :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tell me about Madolche because they seem cute and my vibe in decks is "they're cute but also beat you into the loving dirt", see also Dragonmaids. I didn't get a very good picture of what they did because they felt like they stalled out their combo, and then got Sheou'd to hell. :shobon: