Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (May 6 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 6-7, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

:allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 9, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

A Sketchy Life (February 4, 1926)

Al Frueh:

T.S. Sullivant:

A cleverly hidden signature that I haven't found yet:

Our good friend Mr. Crosby only chips in for a subscription ad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

FATHER I CANNOT CLICK THE BOOK

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

When did Slylock Fox start talking? :psyduck:

So glad I wasn't the only person to freak out at that. Slylock isn't supposed to have a voice in my head and it feels very wrong.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Indigineous art is not only a thing that exists, a lot of modern art is inspired by it

Yeah in between this and the girls not knowing that it's dangerous to wander around away from home unattended this whole storyline is feeling very much like a white guy making noble savagesque assumptions about how indigenous people go about their daily lives.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I just got the Patreon preview of John Allison's next comic event and I think people are going to want to pay attention to this one. The first page is up now at badmachinery.com.

I guess this is now the thread where we discuss John Allison and his work?

Sure, why not.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zereth posted:

Ah, I see.

And she chose a melon.
That's not a melon, it's melon bread.

Looks like we're moving on from Wilbur! :dance:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

It's clearly a melon.

Edit: And I was just wondering what happened to Professor Fat Lincoln and there he is!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

I do not know why these resonate with me so much - yet somehow, they do. Thanks for postin' em.

However, in today's Blueberry: Everyone's a critic..., or Gee, I wonder who the next villain of the story is going to be, or Now, 'I'm just a poor lonesome Cowgirl' is almost CERTAINLY a reference to Lucky Luke, another Belgian Western comic set in roughly the same time period, but of a much less serious tone. The titular hero was often drawn in the last panel of his adventures, riding into the sunset, singing the refrain 'I'm just a poor, lonesome cowboy, and a long way from home...', which apparently comes from the 1920s record 'Cowboy Songs and Other Frontier Ballads' by John Lomax. It was written by Maurice De Bevere (AKA Morris) and René Goscinny of Asterix and Obelix fame. Charlier worked with the latter to make Edipress/Edifrance in '55.

As to 'Orphan Annie', well - it ain't after the comic strip - that came about in the '20s, many decades after this is set. It is true, however, that the comic is based off of a poem that would have been around at this time, however - there is the slight problem that 'They call me little orphan Annie' is not a line in that poem. I ca only guess that it is possibly a reference to Annie Oakly, famed gunslinger of the old West

Oh yeah, to follow up on that scare I had a few days ago - the test came back negative, and I'm not feeling 'cold-y', so I guess it was just a scare.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 7, 2022

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Looks like we're moving on from Wilbur! :dance:

felicitations

who talks like that, really

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

EBB posted:

felicitations

who talks like that, really

the squire of gothos

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

*does the melon dance to convince u*

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

uh oh looks like Sarah Morgan is a diabetic too now

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

you broke my grill posted:

the squire of gothos

gunther

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: how the gently caress is cyberbullying real hahahahaha just walk away from the screen like close your eyes haha (October 3-9, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

An entire sunday page styled comic wasted on a one panel "joke" and ironically it's about being environment friendly?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Starting today, Mon-Thu for eight weeks, a new Giant Days story. I’ve wanted to do one for a while, but I only had one worked-out story that I hadn’t used in my story pile. It takes place in the ladies’ second year of university, when they all live together in Crookes. It was intended for a special, but never got anywhere at the time. You may have some idea what it is about already.

If you want to read this whole special now, it’s available to $3/month and up subscribers to my Patreon as a PDF.

—

If you’re not familiar with the 1200+ pages of Giant Days I wrote (and very occasionally drew) for Boom!Box between 2014 and 2019, they’re all available in print or on Comixology. If you’re a Comixology Unlimited subscriber, the whole series is on that service.

So here's the mystery comic Allison was teasing about last week. To be honest I wasn't expecting him to return to the Giant Days setting. If you're not familiar with the series, it's basically a slice-of-life comic following three friends as they attend the University of Sheffield, Allison's own Alma matar. Chronologically the series takes place in the three years that pass in-universe between Scary-Go-Round and Bad Machinery. The series lacks the supernatural and extraordinary elements found in Allison's other comics (except the original webcomics as well as the final special issue). The article on Wikipedia give a good summary if your not familiar with the series

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/6/02

Brenda Starr 2/15/48

Smokey Stover 1/20/46

Everyday Movies 10/26/34

"We'd be foolish to spend so much for an apartment just because it's convenient for our boy-friends. If a man's interested, he'll come miles, and if he isn't he won't walk across the street."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
See, after almost dying of starvation my fat cousin is not ugly anymore.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The_Other posted:

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

So here's the mystery comic Allison was teasing about last week. To be honest I wasn't expecting him to return to the Giant Days setting. If you're not familiar with the series, it's basically a slice-of-life comic following three friends as they attend the University of Sheffield, Allison's own Alma matar. Chronologically the series takes place in the three years that pass in-universe between Scary-Go-Round and Bad Machinery. The series lacks the supernatural and extraordinary elements found in Allison's other comics (except the original webcomics as well as the final special issue). The article on Wikipedia give a good summary if your not familiar with the series
I was hoping for a special installment of Here Comes Gothy! and I guess I get my wish sort of.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 28, 1949)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Yeah in between this and the girls not knowing that it's dangerous to wander around away from home unattended this whole storyline is feeling very much like a white guy making noble savagesque assumptions about how indigenous people go about their daily lives.
I don't really see why the Phantom can't just walk up to them and tell them where it's safe to go and where it isn't. There no need for this "invisible protector" bullshit.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I don't really see why the Phantom can't just walk up to them and tell them where it's safe to go and where it isn't. There no need for this "invisible protector" bullshit.

If there's one thing that teenagers rebelling from being told what to do by authority figures love, it's being told what to do by authority figures.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "19 - Jucika at the Beach"

"Napola = Sunblock, ilyen barna lesz = Your tan will be this brown"

"20 - Jucika and the Novelty"

"pogácsasajt = Pogácsa Cheese, (kvargli) ismet kapható = (Olomouc Cheese) is also available." The olomouc is known for its odor.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

csammis posted:

When did Slylock Fox start talking? :psyduck:

Some Guy TT posted:

So glad I wasn't the only person to freak out at that. Slylock isn't supposed to have a voice in my head and it feels very wrong.

The art also looks different and there's a new name in the signature, so maybe there was a Slylock reboot recently that we missed?

Anyway, I just straight-up forgot to post comics for the past four days, so here's some catch-up:

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

I'm not doing Curtis catch-up. You want Curtis so bad, you get it yourself.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A triptych of Fingerporis.

In Finnish slang "tonttu" means "one thousand moneys", but is also the word for gnome. The etymology isn't that complicated, one thousand things have been called "tonni" (after "ton") for ages, and it's a pretty short skip from there. So this guy had quite a big debt which is now being collected by "Cruel Collections".

Traditionally we had two types of milk in Finland named after the colours of the containers: red milk and blue milk (and of course viperless milk). Red milk is full milk with full fat content, blue milk is light milk. In the 80s or 90s they added a third type, fat free milk, which comes in a light blue carton.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

I'm not doing Curtis catch-up. You want Curtis so bad, you get it yourself.
But...but...did the video of his dad singing in the shower "go viral" and get "likes"?

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Traditionally we had two types of milk in Finland named after the colours of the containers: red milk and blue milk (and of course viperless milk). Red milk is full milk with full fat content, blue milk is light milk. In the 80s or 90s they added a third type, fat free milk, which comes in a light blue carton.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

If there was any question of, "Does Family Circus just reuse the same jokes word for word?" my piano teacher wife says she has, "seen that one a bunch of times."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

EasyEW posted:

A cleverly hidden signature that I haven't found yet:

I think this might be it:

Storm P

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (dubba Gumps edition)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Weembles posted:

If there's one thing that teenagers rebelling from being told what to do by authority figures love, it's being told what to do by authority figures.

I don't think they love being followed by authority figures either. I'm not a fan of this arc.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The morning paper we've been waiting for (02/1937)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modest Blaise: "La Machine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery