Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

eizouken is so boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cross Ange

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

watch eizouken but the live action drama version instead

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh drat the fubuki nendo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Strange Quark posted:

but when has stux ever steered anyone wrong

Assuming you mean the stux I'm thinking of, when HASN'T stux ever steered anyone wrong?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

princesses AND dragons? hell yeah

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's my trash

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I. M. Gei posted:

Assuming you mean the stux I'm thinking of, when HASN'T stux ever steered anyone wrong?

stux is right exactly 50% of the time. every time he needs a new opinion he just flips a coin to decide whether to be right or wrong

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
but also it's a pretty good show more often than not

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I. M. Gei posted:

congrats you have identified the joke 👍

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal posted:

it's my trash

how is the world's end harem watch going

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you made a lot of people uncomfortable and unhappy, so you're being executed

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

how is the world's end harem watch going

dogshit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
the main character is a huge crybaby bitch about doing anything and the dude with glasses has serious personal issues that he tries to resolve by loving his teacher

it would be an excellent show to do something with the characters if it wasn't bad

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
i thought this show's gimmick was having 99% of the world's population of men dying. how are there multiple male characters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Strange Quark posted:

i thought this show's gimmick was having 99% of the world's population of men dying. how are there multiple male characters

the same way shows about people with superpowers have them keep meeting each other. If it's the setting conceit, it's going to end up explored from a few different angles

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The best mecha genre

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

well you see 99% of men dying means 1% is more than likely more than 1 person

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

princesses AND dragons? hell yeah

first ep ends on a weird note and the second ep has some tonal issues but it's mostly legitimately good after that and has some of the more unique characters and dynamics in a mecha anime from its time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
vaguely on the topic because it's a kind of mediocre show about a princess, but the show I got weirdly into back in the day that nobody else watched was Scrapped Princess. I wonder if it holds up as solidly decent or if the reason nobody else watched it was because it was trash the whole time. I barely remember anything about it, besides the big twists at the very end

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

first ep ends on a weird note and the second ep has some tonal issues but it's mostly legitimately good after that and has some of the more unique characters and dynamics in a mecha anime from its time

the wikipedia blurb is legitimately one of the better ones I'd read so far so I'd already planned to watch it after Gridman, probably before a number of better shows that aren't about dragons and princesses

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

vaguely on the topic because it's a kind of mediocre show about a princess, but the show I got weirdly into back in the day that nobody else watched was Scrapped Princess. I wonder if it holds up as solidly decent or if the reason nobody else watched it was because it was trash the whole time. I barely remember anything about it, besides the big twists at the very end

if you liked that one the same writer & director did a more recent show called Chaika the Coffin Princess that's pretty similar but is mostly an improvement imo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you should watch mobile suit zeta gundam

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

incorrect

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Baal posted:

the main character is a huge crybaby bitch about doing anything and the dude with glasses has serious personal issues that he tries to resolve by loving his teacher

it would be an excellent show to do something with the characters if it wasn't bad

Oh my god it got an anime adaptation?

Lmao, I gotta catch at least an episode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel gundam is a hole I'm not ready to fall down yet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can just watch, one gundam season. the only sort of big commitment to gundam is if you wanna watch the whole stretch of 80s tomino culminating in cca but you could also just watch turn-a or wing or something. or one of the ovas, those are shorter

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just watch a standalone series like IBO or G Gundam.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you watch one gundam, i'd recommend war in the pocket because it is 6 episodes long and a single tight, focused narrative

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibblebibble posted:

Just watch a standalone series like IBO or G Gundam.

I did watch G Gundam, years ago. I was really into shows in that vein for a while there. Gurren Lagann, Gaogaigar, Kill la Kill

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dogsicle posted:

incorrect
what's good, dogsicle

cheetah7071 posted:

I did watch G Gundam, years ago. I was really into shows in that vein for a while there. Gurren Lagann, Gaogaigar, Kill la Kill
if you only pick a single gundam, Turn A Gundam is a pretty good pick. good setting, good style, phenomenal music(yoko kanno), great story. knowing things about gundam helps, but isn't necessary to enjoying it at all. and the original to the show mech designs are all done by Syd Mead. If you watch it, I highly recommend checking out his process of creating a "Syd Mead-styled Gundam" afterwards, it's loving fascinating how he takes the original Gundam design and reworks it bit by bit into the Turn A.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel gundam is a hole I'm not ready to fall down yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXHBMS4m1fo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i certainly don't think zeta is what you watch before first gundam

if you want to do an au instead that's fine

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
anime janai

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
between war in the pocket, g-reco, ibo, and the entire build fighters sub-franchise, war in the pocket was the only gundam i've really enjoyed. i watched 20 eps of turn a before shelving it because i really wasn't feeling it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
probably doesn't help that the only subs for turn a are pretty stilted

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah those subs are bad, i wish the retail ones had been ripped somewhere

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I watched turn-a high and it was still kind of a slog to get through imho

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Strange Quark posted:

war in the pocket was the only gundam i've really enjoyed.

:same:

0080 War in the Pocket is great, and you don't need to see any other Gundam stuff to enjoy it. I'm a sucker for anti-war stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I'm about three-quarters of the way through Gundam '79 right now and it's mostly been really good. The initial arc is a bit underbaked, but as soon as White Base lands on Earth it becomes a gripping military serial. Episode premises take a turn for the bizarre -- Gundam pilot Amuro visits his mother; White Base runs out of salt; a bunch of draftees on hoverskis coat the Gundam with time bombs -- and are executed better than ever; the action, freed from the weightless void of space, starts to really excel; the writing becomes obsessed with war's strange moral dilemmas, which it treats with a fascinating intensity. It's some of the best television I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, as of episode 33 White Base has gone back into space and the show has returned to a wobbly 7/10. Tragic!