Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1490802375753404423/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInoZ8uIAao

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Explained ZX Spectrum games to my mid-20s boss the other day. She was astounded. Yes, you had to wait for many minutes, and sometimes it just wouldn't work for some arcane reason, but you see, we had no choice

Sometimes I listen to ZX Spectru loading sounds on YouTube.

I watched all the Dizzy playthroughs recently. I loved those games. The only one I didn't complete was Treasure Island Dizzy because of that fuckwitted item selection thing were you could accidentally remove the snorkel while underwater.

I never completed Spellbound Dizzy without the infinite health cheat either, but that must be almost impossible to do normally. Slogging over to that Sandstone Quarry was a right pain in the hole after the first dozen trips.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It is exactly as I called it a year ago, these antivax cunts are homegrown terrorists and I can't wait till they start rioting to support their masters more explicitly (tax is immoral, don't cancel my slurs, global warming isn't real, etc)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gambrinus posted:

Sometimes I listen to ZX Spectru loading sounds on YouTube.

I watched all the Dizzy playthroughs recently. I loved those games. The only one I didn't complete was Treasure Island Dizzy because of that fuckwitted item selection thing were you could accidentally remove the snorkel while underwater.

I never completed Spellbound Dizzy without the infinite health cheat either, but that must be almost impossible to do normally. Slogging over to that Sandstone Quarry was a right pain in the hole after the first dozen trips.

Was mental about Dizzy myself. Had the pleasure of meeting the OliverTwins when I went trying for a game coding job in their place in Leamington Spa.
Loved to have worked there, even though they were doing shovel ware poo poo even poundland wouldnt stock.

Edit:
And sad Spectrum story. Friends uncle was a nerd too, and he had an original ZX Spectrum box never opened, all parts in it, no box marks, pristine. Got offers from £500-700 for it.
He died from a work accident, and they sold it in a job lot with all his other stuff, didn't see the value in it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 8, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

It is exactly as I called it a year ago, these antivax cunts are homegrown terrorists and I can't wait till they start rioting to support their masters more explicitly (tax is immoral, don't cancel my slurs, global warming isn't real, etc)

I can wait tbh

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

happyhippy posted:

Was mental about Dizzy myself. Had the pleasure of meeting the OliverTwins when I went trying for a game coding job in their place in Leamington Spa.
Loved to have worked there, even though they were doing shovel ware poo poo even poundland would stock.

Last time I met them they were running some kind of trade body for UK indie game developers. I vaguely remember it being at some sort of awards show in the mid 2000s. I wonder what they're up to these days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wolfsbane posted:

Last time I met them they were running some kind of trade body for UK indie game developers. I vaguely remember it being at some sort of awards show in the mid 2000s. I wonder what they're up to these days.

I thought they had sold out to EA but that's the Darling brothers, and how many sets of siblings does one game developer need?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This Starmer thing isn’t funny. As someone said, the genie is out of the bottle. Johnson’s slur has worked, the tactic of whipping up a mob has worked, and it’ll be used again. Next time it probably won’t be a target that you find so amusing. This unleashed anger and fury is very concerning because I don’t know how one stops it and I suspect that government has no interest in stopping it; probably the reverse. While you’re chuckling away ask how it ends and who the next targets are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They already had to arrest a guy for plotting to kill corbyn thanks to the efforts of the same press that is handwringing about it being used against starmer, so I am far past giving a poo poo.

If you're running a society that wants to kill its politicians, that's the fault of the politicians. They're the ones making the society that wants to kill them, so gently caress em, let them reap what they sow for once. If they want to make a better society at any point, they're welcome to.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

They already had to arrest a guy for plotting to kill corbyn thanks to the efforts of the same press that is handwringing about it being used against starmer, so I am far past giving a poo poo.

If you're running a society that wants to kill its politicians, that's the fault of the politicians. They're the ones making the society that wants to kill them, so gently caress em, let them reap what they sow for once. If they want to make a better society at any point, they're welcome to.

Yeah, but next time it might not be politicians. It might be refugees, or asylum seekers, or human rights lawyers, etc. This poo poo can’t be controlled once it’s unleashed and the targets are broadly going to be people that we actually care about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Yeah, but next time it might not be politicians. It might be refugees, or asylum seekers, or human rights lawyers, etc. This poo poo can’t be controlled once it’s unleashed and the targets are broadly going to be people that we actually care about.

So did you have a relaxing sleep for the last... 35 years or so? Because official government policy for all three of these groups is "gently caress off and die" and has been for as long as I've been aware of politics.

(also "asylum seekers" *are* refugees and it's testament to the power of propaganda you listed them separately despite being on their side)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's already all those things and the government is leading the charge though, it has done it under the tories, it did it under labour, protecting the sanctity of starmer's legal career isn't going to change that.

All the people in government and at the top of the parties have spent their lives courting those exact attitudes, fostering them so they can play off them come election time, and pursuing them on the level of a personal vendetta most of the time too.

That is the society they want, the society they have worked their lives to build, and now it hates them. That it very, very occasionally ends up biting them in the arse as well, cannot move me to anything but laughter as they are simply shocked to think that they occasionally have to live in that society they have built as well.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 8, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

therattle posted:

next time? pretty sure I remember hearing about immigrants getting "GO HOME" notes and literal poo poo pushed through their letterboxes the instant the Brexit vote came through. This has been happening for a long time already

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So did you have a relaxing sleep for the last... 35 years or so? Because official government policy for all three of these groups is "gently caress off and die" and has been for as long as I've been aware of politics.

(also "asylum seekers" *are* refugees and it's testament to the power of propaganda you listed them separately despite being on their side)

All asylum seekers are refugees but not all refugees are asylum seekers.

And yes, of course govt policy has been anti all of them, but they are just some potential victims. Mob hatred like we are seeing is not a good thing, regardless of who it is currently directed at. I wouldn’t have thought that was controversial.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM

When the evil company guy gets blown up by the robot it's funny because it's his fault for building the robot that kills people, even though people getting killed by robots is not, in isolation, funny.

This is called "irony"

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 8, 2022

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lmao suck it Keith.

Edit: bullying these empty cunts is always funny.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
No its not good that is worked but its been loving obvious since the beginning that the oh so forensic electable Starmer has been in his position entirely at the grace of this country's press and when they want rid of him they'll tear him to shreds.

This is why all his work to appeal to sun readers has been a waste of time. They'll either be told to vote for him or not, he doesn't have a choice in the matter no matter how much he alienates left wing voters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probably going to give him a bit of a bump if the press continues to be performatively outraged by it, which I'm sure he will be happy about.

Which i suppose makes "getting starmer almost beat to poo poo by an angry mob" labour's most effective electoral strategy yet.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

therattle posted:

All asylum seekers are refugees but not all refugees are asylum seekers.

And yes, of course govt policy has been anti all of them, but they are just some potential victims. Mob hatred like we are seeing is not a good thing, regardless of who it is currently directed at. I wouldn’t have thought that was controversial.

It's not controversial, but like... it already happens?

Rotherham grooming gangs, the trojan horse poo poo?

It's funny because the mob is actually being whipped up against someone powerful for a change.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, vulnerable people have been on the receiving end of this kind of violence and intimidation in this country for a very long time. We're well down Niemoller's list by now. Talk to literally any homeless person you meet, and they will have some loving terrifying stories. That's before we get into the more indirect social murder that's been simmering away since Blair and has kicked into overdrive over the past few years.

This one's funny because the people who've been using these mobs to savage the underclass for years (and I absolutely count Starmer and his front bench among those) are now receiving a few bites of their own.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The Sisyphean struggle against technology and common sense continues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60293057

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1490632843080384515?s=20&t=qA-3_pmnmCOuInzwM7uPyg

Interesting. Left-wing policies very popular even among Con voters.

But no, gotta swing right eh Keith.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

once keir is pushed out by the new leader streeting i bet there will be articles about how keir was a throughly decent man brutally attacked by an antivax mob set on him by the lovable oaf boris, who gloriously led us through the first dozen covid waves as best as anyone could do

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

jaete posted:

So this is a society of nerds who will read any old floppy disks (etc) you give them and provide you with the data on something more modern like a USB stick or whatever. Costs nothing (if you're in Finland and have some spare time, lol). They are especially on the look out for "skene" (Finnish for scene as in demo scene) stuff it seems, to make old demos more available to the public

I'm shamefully out of the loop re UK scene so not sure if a similar nerd museum club exists here

There is also a games/gaming museum at the city of Tampere where you can play some super obscure things.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Strategic Tea posted:

(tax is immoral, don't cancel my slurs, global warming isn't real, etc)

I get this from my drug dealer (although less rioting, more angrily muttering over a cup of tea). Last time I saw him it happened to come up that he’d never even heard of Starmer, so we’ll see what he has to say when I see him tomorrow. At least it’ll take the conversation away from Joe Rogan.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jel Shaker posted:

once keir is pushed out by the new leader streeting i bet there will be articles about how keir was a throughly decent man brutally attacked by an antivax mob set on him by the lovable oaf boris, who gloriously led us through the first dozen covid waves as best as anyone could do
I’m still expecting them to make a tenuous connection between somebody in the crowd and JC so they can blame it all on furious Corbyinistas driven mad by his expulsion from the party.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I dunno seems like a problem to me if right-wing weirdos are rioting and trying to kill people. Yes it's a chuckle that it was Kier this time, but people like Diane Abott are going to be solidly in the cross hairs of these freaks.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TACD posted:

I’m still expecting them to make a tenuous connection between somebody in the crowd and JC so they can blame it all on furious Corbyinistas driven mad by his expulsion from the party.

Piers was there so ....

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

idgaf about kieth but the fact that the far right have been organising & are getting emboldened is a bad thing. There's always been fash about but usually just some pathetic little demos outnumbered by antifash, nowadays it seems like roving mobs of violent fascist are just a feature of life, they're really mobilising off the back of anti-lockdown poo poo & imo we should all be worried

The fact that Johnson is just straight-up siccing them on his political opponents is also bad, even if those opponents are themselves bad. Like how the Heil "enemies of the people" headline wasn't bad because we're so concerned about the poor oppressed Law Lords, it was bad because we're witnessing the decline into fascism

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's definitely bad but tbh I don't see what I personally can do beyond laughing at the hubris of those who thought they could ride the tiger

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s also not as “random outraged people” as it looks apparently:

https://twitter.com/pozzywozzy/status/1490800200159485958?s=21

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Red Oktober posted:

It’s also not as “random outraged people” as it looks apparently:
Well yeah, it was very obviously an organised fascist mob

Remember when liberals were sliver-lining Johnson's premiership, saying the way to stop all these far right demos was to put their guy in charge & give them what they want

lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't forget a member of the NEC has openly said that the Freikorps were Good, Actually:

https://twitter.com/lukeakehurst/status/1056845497518960640

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Changed my mind because of good points made.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 8, 2022

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Can anyone please remind me of the person the Eye take great delight in calling a liar because he was found to have lied in civil court, meaning they can't be found liable for libel?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shyrka posted:

It's not controversial, but like... it already happens?

Rotherham grooming gangs, the trojan horse poo poo?

It's funny because the mob is actually being whipped up against someone powerful for a change.

It's not funny at all. The Tories are rabblerousing scum, but they've always punched down to distract from what they're really doing. Now they feel able to sic the mob on anyone who actually can conceivably oppose them - not that Keir Strasser would, but still. This is how one party states happen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We're already in a one party state, and have been since the 2019 election. The descent into fascism is unavoidable now.

So I look for nuggets of karmic schadenfreude, and watching Starmer being attacked by a mob for something he didn't do is absolutely loving hilarious.

There will also be a time when the mob will turn against Boris, and I will laugh then too.

e: and on the subject of looking for nuggets of comedy gold, check out the latest CWS:

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1490981348693139459

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 8, 2022

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Sanford posted:

although less rioting, more angrily muttering over a cup of tea

Ah yes, the English riot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Question IRL posted:

Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga didn't come on nine discs. It came on 11 discs!

THIS GUYS A NARC! GET THEM!

In my defence I think this was a fully fabricated memory formed of a patchwork of similar experiences. It wasn't the Barras it was Ayr Sunday Market, it wasn't Ebeneezer Goode (that's a separate memory from a day at Inglestone matket), and it wouldn't be MI2 as my folks would be too cheap to stump up the money for 11 pirated floppies, more likely to be Lemmings 2 or the Chaos Engine.

Memories are weird.