Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

anatomi posted:

I don't see how the haptic feedback is gonna compensate for the lack of proper rumble. I know some people don't care about rumble but I miss it a lot when I'm using the Hori Split Pad on my Switch.

At this point I think the only major downsides to the Deck is 1) the lack of rumble and 2) the mediocre screen.

If it's anything like the DualShock 5, I vastly prefer the haptic "rumble" to traditional rumble. Feels better and is more versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
am I the only one who turns off rumble whenever I can? it's annoying and burns the battery faster (exception is the steam controller's haptic trackpads, those are good)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

TwoDice posted:

am I the only one who turns off rumble whenever I can? it's annoying and burns the battery faster (exception is the steam controller's haptic trackpads, those are good)
Yes, you're the only one. But you should be happy that every single game developer in the world have put in the option to disable rumble, just for you.

Edit: sorry, that probably came off way more bitchy than I intended.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 8, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care about rumble one way or the other

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

Yes, you're the only one. But you should be happy that every single game developer in the world have put in the option to disable rumble, just for you.

Edit: sorry, that probably came off way more bitchy than I intended.

i wish they did lol, a surprising number of games won't let you (im looking at you diablo 3)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I turn it off when it’s loud, like in a lot of switch games.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I always give rumble a chance. Most games prove themselves unworthy and I turn it off after the first ten minutes, but a few use it right. Hollow Knight on the switch is really good, when you're sliding down a wall it actually feels like the controller is rubbing against a rough surface

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

TwoDice posted:

i wish they did lol, a surprising number of games won't let you (im looking at you diablo 3)
If it's for the Switch you can disable rumble system wide in the controller settings.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just offloaded $200 of lovely CSGO skins. Guess my purchase is 30% funded. Now i gotta decide which of my nice skins are gonna go, since one of them will pretty much cover the remaining cost.

Anyways i can't wait.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TwoDice posted:

I'm kinda glad that the Steam Deck won't have another thing to drain the battery faster, but I do find rumble important in a racing game like Forza Horizon. You can really feel when you need to brake or let off the gas when your car starts to lose grip because the vibration is so subtle.

I also really enjoy the haptic triggers of the PS5 controller for interactions like pulling a gun trigger/bow string or swinging on Spider-Man's web.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is there any articles discussing what kind of performance the Steam Deck will have in dock mode? I'm think of selling off my old desktop(i5-3570) and just using the Deck in docked mode for whatever light productivity work and web browsing I use that desktop for now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
same as in portable mode

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I think the first game I'll play on the Deck will be a heavily modded BG2, picking up my first full trilogy run from where I left it a month or so ago.

Those sweet touchpads and steam input should make this as smooth as playing with a KB&M.

I kind of ignored the Aya devices and handheld PC gaming until the Deck came out. Now that it's here and if I really like it, I can see wanting to upgrade to higher-end hardware down the road.

Which is to say the Deck could be a good thing for competitors if they focus on niches the Deck doesn't attempt to fill: higher end hardware at a more premium price.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

DariusLikewise posted:

Is there any articles discussing what kind of performance the Steam Deck will have in dock mode? I'm think of selling off my old desktop(i5-3570) and just using the Deck in docked mode for whatever light productivity work and web browsing I use that desktop for now.

There's no difference between performance on battery or plugged in. Wait a week or two, valve still has an embargo on actually using the Deck software. Only thing people are allowed to talk about is the hardware and a small selection of games.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

If it's anything like the DualShock 5, I vastly prefer the haptic "rumble" to traditional rumble. Feels better and is more versatile.

I haven't used a DualShock 5, so I don't know what that implementation feels like, but I have used the steam controller and it's possible that the Deck's haptics are basically the same as those. They don't really do any rumbling in the traditional sense, but they do a good job of making your finger movements across the touchpad feel tactile. It's hard to explain but when you set them to act like a trackball, it really kind of feels like a trackball is spinning in the controller when you move about.

But they don't rumble when you shoot a gun or anything.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

Increasing performance in dock mode is really only a Nintendo Switch thing.

Because this is just a Linux PC at the end of the day, there is a small chance the fans could mod something up like that with the TDP profiles and all, but you should absolutely not pre-order based on an expectation of that.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dramicus posted:

I haven't used a DualShock 5, so I don't know what that implementation feels like, but I have used the steam controller and it's possible that the Deck's haptics are basically the same as those. They don't really do any rumbling in the traditional sense, but they do a good job of making your finger movements across the touchpad feel tactile. It's hard to explain but when you set them to act like a trackball, it really kind of feels like a trackball is spinning in the controller when you move about.

But they don't rumble when you shoot a gun or anything.

I have the Steam Controller and would also be happy with those haptics.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Pirate Jet posted:

Because this is just a Linux PC at the end of the day, there is a small chance the fans could mod something up like that with the TDP profiles and all, but you should absolutely not pre-order based on an expectation of that.

Yeah, the switch slightly underclocks itself in handheld mode to maximize battery life, while on the Steam Deck you can set it to go full tilt 100% of the time and burn through the battery in 90 minutes if you want

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TwoDice posted:

i do it too. i just think it's irritating most of the time, and actually distracting instead of more immersive.

i turned down my ps5's resistive triggers too, those actually irritate my tendonitis. i turn that off where i can but some games like returnal or ratchet and clank require it as part of the gameplay, so.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hosed up about Retro Arch. Thanks for the heads up homeless snail.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Samopsa posted:

There's no difference between performance on battery or plugged in. Wait a week or two, valve still has an embargo on actually using the Deck software. Only thing people are allowed to talk about is the hardware and a small selection of games.

Cool, thank you

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm not expecting a performance boost or anything just wondering if anyone has hooked up a monitor/keyboard/mouse to the thing and seen if there's any major slowdowns while doing that. It looks like there isn't any Windows drivers yet though so that's another hurdle I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Cool, thank you

I'm not expecting a performance boost or anything just wondering if anyone has hooked up a monitor/keyboard/mouse to the thing and seen if there's any major slowdowns while doing that. It looks like there isn't any Windows drivers yet though so that's another hurdle I guess.

You can just install windows on it and use it as is. It would work just fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

One of the reviews said Windows drivers weren't available yet

Probably just a case of AMD needing to add the PCI ID for the custom SOC to their driver

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

live LTT teardown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK43RAc90ZA

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I'm going to buy this just for Project Zomboid because I am a god drat moron.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

loving Moron posted:

Carpet matches the drapes, user name post combo.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TwoDice posted:

I've never used a Steam Controller, but I turn off rumble whenever possible, preferably at the system level. I've never played a game where I felt that the controller deciding it's actually a back massager every so often actually added to the experience.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Commander Keene posted:

I've never used a Steam Controller, but I turn off rumble whenever possible, preferably at the system level. I've never played a game where I felt that the controller deciding it's actually a back massager every so often actually added to the experience.
Rez literally did this (with multiple extra controllers) and it was great because of this.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I turn it off when it’s loud, like in a lot of switch games.

The Switch's rumble is nice when dev's use it like it's supposed to: subtly. Some just kick to 100 and it's really annoying.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah I thought Metroid dread had excellent rumble, probably the first game I noticed it adding to the experience

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

all early tests so far point to it not being a massive deal.

I'm happy to hear that. I figured it wouldn't matter all that much. I've never had an issue running games on my PC from ancient slow drives in the past. Also I don't play any AAA games except for destiny which tbh I haven't heard anything about yet...

Do you guys think this is gonna be like the PSP all over again where the thing just gets broken open and hacked to pieces almost day 1?

I dug up my old launch PSP 1000 a few weeks ago because a buddy gave me Hackers on UMD for Christmas as a Gag gift - I still had a ton of emulators and cool programs on it like an IR blaster TV remote thing.

Really excited to see what people come up with...

loving Moron posted:

To be fair they did just add multiplayer...

I bought it too :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CerealKilla420 posted:

Do you guys think this is gonna be like the PSP all over again where the thing just gets broken open and hacked to pieces almost day 1?

You can install any OS you want onto it, it doesn't need to be broken open or hacked! You could boot windows from an SD card and run whatever.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, there's nothing locked down software wise.

But I bet we're gonna see some really funky hardware mods.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can install any OS you want onto it, it doesn't need to be broken open or hacked! You could boot windows from an SD card and run whatever.

Dang can't believe I missed that...

Wow this is gonna be good.

Can't wait for someone to IBM OS/2 Warp running on it lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’ve always been a rumble slut, since the n64 rumble pak, but the PS5 is beyond anything else out there it’s incredible.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’ve always been a rumble slut, since the n64 rumble pak, but the PS5 is beyond anything else out there it’s incredible.
Everyone knows it's what all the other guys wanted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23XtCDDIEM 4:50 is when the rumble pack comes in but if you want to laugh at cheesy acting the whole thing is 90s as heck.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
this is a real weird moment to announce this, valve
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1491538110101995521?s=20&t=74yp2bTTDx6Rea1Z7i9hjg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Valve shoulda got HL2 on switch years ago, it already got a shield port.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

minusX posted:

Everyone knows it's what all the other guys wanted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23XtCDDIEM 4:50 is when the rumble pack comes in but if you want to laugh at cheesy acting the whole thing is 90s as heck.

Lmao that is amazing. They also feature the superior blue controller when demo’ing it.

I never realized the 90’s gaming wars included Sony and Sega torturing Mario. They should have parodied the Reservoir dogs torture scene tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I think it's either to fix on switch players to their games and have them switch over, or just a way to develop the input model for the deck ahead of launch.