Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

Technically Thor can't fly. He just looks like he's flying by throwing Mjolnir and then hanging on.

Yes, that doesn't make any sense.

The hammer pulls him off?

Keromaru5 posted:

In superhero comics, death tends to only be a suggestion. Wolverine's died. Superman's died. Cap died in Civil War. Tony Stark once died and got replaced with his teenage self. Thanos was actually dead in the comics for a long time, and that was *before* the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. That cyborg clone Thor I mentioned? They made him because the original Thor was dead at the time.

Heck, currently, in X-Men, they have a system where they can resurrect any mutant ever.

They used to say "Only Bucky stays dead," but then Winter Soldier came along.

It was Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben.

So just waiting on that Uncle Ben revival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Push El Burrito posted:

There's at least one alternate-dimension version of Ben in the Spiderverse runs

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Push El Burrito posted:

The hammer pulls him off?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Silver Ben/Golden Oldie fic when?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FFT posted:

There's at least one alternate-dimension version of Ben in the Spiderverse runs
Eh, everybody's got a living alternate-dimension version. It's when they become a permanent fixture that it starts to matter (see also Stacy, Gwen).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's going to be no real consistency or logic in terms of who gets hurt and how badly and when. You just have to sort of go with it or you'll go nuts.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

I don't need to see two people punch each other through walls for forty five minutes if it ultimately means absolutely nothing.

This gif kinda illustrates the point, a little.

This has always bugged the hell out of me in, say, Terminator 3 where two killer robots try to destroy each other by....throwing each other through walls clearly weaker than they are. Woop.

Same thing with most Superhero movies. Yes the bit in endgame where cap gets the hammer and everyone fuckin lays into Thanos was a cool bit. Entirely let down by "all that for a drop of blood" What's the loving point. Everyone surround Scarlet Witch so she can just discombobulate the fucker already.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arrath posted:

This has always bugged the hell out of me in, say, Terminator 3 where two killer robots try to destroy each other by....throwing each other through walls clearly weaker than they are. Woop.

Same thing with most Superhero movies. Yes the bit in endgame where cap gets the hammer and everyone fuckin lays into Thanos was a cool bit. Entirely let down by "all that for a drop of blood" What's the loving point. Everyone surround Scarlet Witch so she can just discombobulate the fucker already.

Boy do I have a Terminator for you: https://youtu.be/jv-NI4X_Amg

TSCC is extremely mid-00s, but I think they nailed how Terminators are so tough that even other Terminators struggle to damage them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pewter Parker?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The climax in X-Men: First Class where Magneto kills Kevin Bacon... if I'm remembering right. Watching Xavier be like, "No! Don't do it! Don't kill him! You're a good person!" was silly because, like... what the gently caress did you think was going to happen? How else did you expect Magneto to stop the bad guy? Talking to him?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Like at the end of Unbreakable where superhero Bruce Willis lets the mass murderer get arrested. Bitch, if I found out you were hunting for me, and killed scores of people to do it, I'm breaking your neck.

Vox Machina: do you need to have some backstory to know the characters? Because six episodes in, everyone is still kinda flat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're certainly a group of professional voice actors.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

Technically Thor can't fly. He just looks like he's flying by throwing Mjolnir and then hanging on.

Yes, that doesn't make any sense.

No, I can see that making sense. If you've ever spun something very heavy around you, then attempt to stop the spinning but keep moving and get dragged with it, it makes sense.

Unless you mean how is he being dragged by a hammer, that's easy, it's space magic.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Even loving around with a Wii controller would drag your arm around if the wrist strap was actually secure. A small object being thrown or fired hard enough, fast enough, will pull larger objects along for the ride with no issue.

There was a comic page or something showing that Thor throws Mjolnr, then immediately hops and grabs onto it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He just lets it slip out of his hand and grabs the loop on the bottom.

Watched Reacher, and while it was pretty good, the lead dude kinda came off like he was trying to do a Tom cruise impression instead of his own take on the character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schubalts posted:

Even loving around with a Wii controller would drag your arm around if the wrist strap was actually secure. A small object being thrown or fired hard enough, fast enough, will pull larger objects along for the ride with no issue.

There was a comic page or something showing that Thor throws Mjolnr, then immediately hops and grabs onto it.

Ah, the Mercenary Tao method.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just watched the Marvel What If episode with zombies, and its so dumb. The idea that these heroes who have taken on small armies of men with guns and kungfu could be taken out by shambling corpses is absurd - there is exactly one realistic death to the zombies, and that's Captain America being bitten on the neck by a fly-sized Pym. Everything else is ludicrous. You see the Avengers slam down in the actual middle of a horde and get overwhelmed instantly....what was even the plan there? And it's never explained how one of these things got through Iron Man's armor either. Even Thanos is a zombie! Fuckin how???

Like, there's a possible way to do this sort of thing, but it's so poorly done here (I forget how it happens in the comics).

Also while Parker is, like, genre savvy and such, enough to know that you shouldn't get bitten and whatnot, he doesn't realize that hey maybe letting gisnt-sized Wasp turn is maybe a bad idea.

Just a dumber-than usual episode all together. Shouldve been a two-parter at least so that they could actually explore how something like this could happen.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Who cares? Zombies are the most tedious loving concept anyone has ever come up with but like, doubly so if anyone tries to explain how they work.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pilchenstein posted:

Who cares? Zombies are the most tedious loving concept anyone has ever come up with but like, doubly so if anyone tries to explain how they work.

I mean, Marvel's been chasing the dragon of Zombies since the original run in the early 2000s or whenever. Expecting this run to be good is like thinking this time, Bullwinkle's really gonna pull the rabbit out of his hat.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Zombies don't interest much nowadays because the collapse of society isn't novel; I'm loving living it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I just watched the Marvel What If episode with zombies, and its so dumb. The idea that these heroes who have taken on small armies of men with guns and kungfu could be taken out by shambling corpses is absurd - there is exactly one realistic death to the zombies, and that's Captain America being bitten on the neck by a fly-sized Pym. Everything else is ludicrous. You see the Avengers slam down in the actual middle of a horde and get overwhelmed instantly....what was even the plan there? And it's never explained how one of these things got through Iron Man's armor either. Even Thanos is a zombie! Fuckin how???

Like, there's a possible way to do this sort of thing, but it's so poorly done here (I forget how it happens in the comics).

Also while Parker is, like, genre savvy and such, enough to know that you shouldn't get bitten and whatnot, he doesn't realize that hey maybe letting gisnt-sized Wasp turn is maybe a bad idea.

Just a dumber-than usual episode all together. Shouldve been a two-parter at least so that they could actually explore how something like this could happen.

Yeah Marvel Zombies was a bad comic line. That's just how it happened

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Zombies don't interest much nowadays because the collapse of society isn't novel; I'm loving living it.

Yeah, the take home message from Covid has been literally every single stupid thing you've seen people do in a zombie movie is exactly what would happen.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Morpheus posted:

In the comics, it's all started by the Superman equivalent (The Sentry) falling through a tear in reality, already infected, and well, he's not-Supes, there was not much anybody could do to keep it from spreading. So instead of everybody getting got by regular zombies, all the superpowered people are the zombies hunting down everyone else.

How did they sell regular zombies being a threat to any of the named Marvel characters? Even Hawkeye and Black Widow could stomp through regular zombies.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Schubalts posted:

In the comics, it's all started by the Superman equivalent (The Sentry) falling through a tear in reality, already infected, and well, he's not-Supes, there was not much anybody could do to keep it from spreading. So instead of everybody getting got by regular zombies, all the superpowered people are the zombies hunting down everyone else.

How did they sell regular zombies being a threat to any of the named Marvel characters? Even Hawkeye and Black Widow could stomp through regular zombies.

This one is started by Ant Man so at least it was a powered person doing it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it would have been better if thanos weren't a zombie and - as the new lesser evil - they had to go ask him to kill the 50% of earth that was infected

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Was I the only one disappointed in 'all of us are dead'? It started out pretty interesting, but the constant going back and forth between the science teacher and his video logs and then just everything else started getting so stupid and drawn out.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Vox Machina: do you need to have some backstory to know the characters? Because six episodes in, everyone is still kinda flat.

Three days ago I, also tired of Vox Machina, also on episode 6, switched the The Adventure Zone and regret nothing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC there is also supposed to eventually be an Adventure Zone cartoon series in the works.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They've given some backstory to a few characters, but right now it seems to be focused mainly on Percy. The elf siblings had the traditional tragic childhood, the dryad/druid lady is on a quest to prove herself so she can become queen and go home, the paladin/cleric lady rode around with the giant barbarian before joining the band. Not much has been said about the bard or the barbarian guy as far as histories go.

They haven't had much of specific flashbacks for story, but they've all mentioned this stuff in conversation across the episodes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They've given some backstory to a few characters, but right now it seems to be focused mainly on Percy. The elf siblings had the traditional tragic childhood, the dryad/druid lady is on a quest to prove herself so she can become queen and go home, the paladin/cleric lady rode around with the giant barbarian before joining the band. Not much has been said about the bard or the barbarian guy as far as histories go.

They haven't had much of specific flashbacks for story, but they've all mentioned this stuff in conversation across the episodes.

Oh I got all this, but something just seems so...flat about the series.

Compare to, say, Dark Crystal Age of Resistance: even if you never saw the movie, you know the main characters by first episode's end and a pretty good idea of who they are and their issues. Vox Machina seems to thrive more on characters using curse words than a storyline.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As I understand it, Vox Machina is from the roleplaying adventures of a group of friends who are also all professional voice actors. They first turned them into a comic, then made this.

And, have to be honest, I don't see how it got popular enough that some TV executive decided to throw down the money to have it all animated.

All the plot beats are very obvious to anyone who's ever even glanced at the cover of a fantasy novel and all the dialogue is spoken in the "We're all just so cool and bored with this" manner of Castlevania, but without any of that series balls to the wall insanity.

And if suffers from the all too common D&D experience of "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I did this really stupid thing, or said this incredibly out of place thing. lol random"

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Feb 9, 2022

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As I understand it, Vox Machina is from the roleplaying adventures of a group of friends who are also all professional voice actors. They first turned them into a comic, then made this.

And, have to be honest, I don't see how it got popular enough that some TV executive decided to throw down the money to have it all animated.

All the plot beats are very obvious to anyone who's ever even glanced at the cover of a fantasy novel and all the dialogue is spoken in the "We're all just so cool and bored with this" manner of Castlevania, but without any of that series balls to the wall insanity.

And if suffers from the all too common D&D experience of "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I did this really stupid thing, or said this incredibly out of place thing. lol random"

The first season of the show is entirely backer funded. Amazon paid for a 2nd season because Bezos funbucks go brrrr. And as someone who likes Critical Role and likes Vox Machina, them being mostly violent fuckups is one of the things that made them interesting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cannon Busters did it better, and I am bitter we will probably never get another season.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Critical Role as a media property is worth something like fifteen million dollars. Of course they're going to make a show for it.

People like watching people do stuff they find funny, I guess a lot of people find these guys funny. I guess they also have some pretty emotional moments in the live play series as well? I dunno, I've never watched it, but my gf loves it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I had a quick read of the TVIV thread and there seems to be an absolute fucktonne of backstory and history to the show.

It's just that, as someone with no knowledge of those years of build up, it feels flat.

Not to take away from those enjoying the show. I mean, to see characters you've known for years make the leap to TV is a real hoot. I felt the same way about The Witcher. Another TV show that I thought was a bit flat if you didn't know all the fluff but was still excited as hell to watch.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Feb 9, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Cannon Busters did it better, and I am bitter we will probably never get another season.

Cannon Busters was fun but I was annoyed by the opening showing all those characters who actually barely show up.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

credburn posted:

The climax in X-Men: First Class where Magneto kills Kevin Bacon... if I'm remembering right. Watching Xavier be like, "No! Don't do it! Don't kill him! You're a good person!" was silly because, like... what the gently caress did you think was going to happen? How else did you expect Magneto to stop the bad guy? Talking to him?

I mean, at that point the bad guy had been stopped. Once Magneto removed his helmet, Xavier was able to freeze him. At that point Magneto could have just carried him back to the plane like a mannequin.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it’s one of those things where watching the writing as a scripted show is kind of rote and unimpressive but watching it as a Dnd game where it’s organically constructed in the moment it’s less so, or at least it’s less grating

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Given the disparity of knowledge and power, I'm gonna say Peter is absolutely blameless. If you give a toddler an uzi you can't say "well the toddler asked me for it".

Given he's literally a doctor, Dr strange seems to have no idea about informed consent. The responsibility was on him to explain it all to Peter before even picking up his wand.

I absolutely believe that the brilliant wildly powerful egomaniac doctor-wizard cannot be assed to take an extra ten seconds to explain his spell to the layman before casting it

I also absolutely believe that the brilliant wildly powerful egomaniac doctor-wizard would refuse to see himself at fault for the inevitable cock-up and blame the layman entirely

(this doesn't make it less contrived)

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know there was anything to it besides the show. I just enjoy murderhobo cartoons. Same reason I read the caverns and creatures book series.

To me, it's fun and entertaining, but I can see where it'd be annoying to someone as well.

Never listened to the podcast so no idea about any of the other stuff. I've heard of it, but d&d doesn't really fit as a spectator sport to me.

On NWH, I still don't see strange at fault. I mean, peter has been spiderman for a long time. He can throw a Buick, he was iron man's protege, he's been a legit superhero for longer than strange, anyway.

Peter hosed up the spell after the guy casting it said to knock off what he was doing. He's not an innocent teen who's just stepped into this guy's house while going door to door for church. He's a superhero in his own right, who's straight up murdered aliens and fought a demigod on a different planet, and saved lives as both an avenger and a street kid who's trying his best. He's got experience. He's also still a dumb kid who does dumb poo poo like give a superweapon to a guy he barely knows without doing any research whatsoever on him.

Yea strange could have said "ok, this is how the poo poo works" but when you hear the warning about how it's a dangerous spell, then decide to get it cast anyway, and then ignore the dude casting it after he tells you to knock it off, bud those consequences are on you.

The real question, to me anyway, is why is mj wearing the broken necklace Peter gave her in the last movie at the end?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Feb 9, 2022