Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously. Unloading trinkets on foreign courts who don't know better is a time tested imperial technique.

There should be some kind of white elephant artifact whose only purpose is to be an enormous burden on whoever you gift it to, but where re-gifting it or losing it carries significant penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
My Precious *grotesque 15x20 tapestry depicting zoophilia*

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve barely played CK3 since launch but I’m looking forward to this and giving it a go. I’m a pretty big dummy when it comes to CK so I probably won’t notice it being too easy and it will be cool to fiddle with people in 3D court.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There should be some kind of white elephant artifact whose only purpose is to be an enormous burden on whoever you gift it to, but where re-gifting it or losing it carries significant penalties.

Massive, incredibly ugly statue that's supposed to be Jesus healing the sick but looks more like Carrot Top punching out a gnome. Given to you personally by the Pope. Can't get rid of it - that would be blasphemy - but everyone snickers as they walk past it right in the middle of your court room.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

megane posted:

Massive, incredibly ugly statue that's supposed to be Jesus healing the sick but looks more like Carrot Top punching out a gnome. Given to you personally by the Pope. Can't get rid of it - that would be blasphemy - but everyone snickers as they walk past it right in the middle of your court room.

Oh no! The... *checks notes* Vikings just raided my castle because some MORON left the gates unlocked while we were all on a picnic and, would you believe it, the Vikings stole the pope's gift. drat THOSE VIKINGS!1!1!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

megane posted:

cant stop me from putting it by my bog/ swamp/ county held near the irish

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

megane posted:

So I've been talking to my bishop and here's 95 reasons your statue can gently caress off

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

megane posted:

This is a great idea and I would love for things like that to be added in a patch.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

megane posted:

I think in the end the most disappointing thing about CK3 for me is how easy it is. Every single system gives you bonuses upon bonuses upon bonuses for basically no effort. I'm glad to hear they're adding new mechanics, but not super stoked that their primary impact seems to be "more bonuses to stack!!"

OTOH you can just vibe just sitting and goofing around your land. The game is plenty difficult if you are playing as Afghanistan in the early start date, mazdayana characters etc.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You cuck the Pope so he just keeps sending terrible art he finds in the Vatican archives and lets everyone know he has done it so they ask about it when they visit.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The game is pretty easy but I'm pretty bad at it so it suits me well. Looking forward to it becoming even easier in the expansion!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I could be off-base generalizing this, but to me specifically, a fair amount of what makes CK3 feel "easy" is that CK2 had, in comparison, quite a bit of artificial difficulty. In many cases, just knowing what to do and knowing that it'll work the way I expect it to has made me feel stronger in CK3 in CK2. That's certainly not to say that's the entire difference (because it isn't), and sometimes the CK3 higher-QoL system is something so simplified that it can't be difficult at all, but I think it's meaningful.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also being a King in those days was pretty easy of you didn't die of illness or stupidity you could hang on a long time

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’d like to see PDS engineer in more pushback on the player, but there’s plenty of flavorful self-imposed challenge to add if you want it. Most of it being some sort of “do what you think your character might do in this situation”.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

They already do that with the stress mechanic, which penalizes out-of-character decisions way more than CK2 ever did. I think it could stand to go even a little further though, it's not hard to bleed off stress once you get it and some of the choices are still absolutely worth the stress gain, especially when it comes to deciding what traits your kids get

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh yeah I've really liked the Stress system, it's great for roleplay.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
character threats aren't really there yet. vassals aren't able to gently caress with you enough yet, especially past a certain level of strength. i miss conclave

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the stress system is good, but it mostly seems to force you to pick between two options I mostly didn't care about in the first place.

disaster pastor posted:

I could be off-base generalizing this, but to me specifically, a fair amount of what makes CK3 feel "easy" is that CK2 had, in comparison, quite a bit of artificial difficulty. In many cases, just knowing what to do and knowing that it'll work the way I expect it to has made me feel stronger in CK3 in CK2. That's certainly not to say that's the entire difference (because it isn't), and sometimes the CK3 higher-QoL system is something so simplified that it can't be difficult at all, but I think it's meaningful.

I'd say the main things making it easy is:

1. the AI doesn't understand MaA at all, and their armies are extremely feeble as a result.
  2. the AI is very bad at warfare in general. They can massively outnumber their opponents, yet bring their entire army to chase a small stack around instead of executing sieges, and depleting all of their supplies while they do so.
  3. the AI is happy to commit its entire army to helping some ally on the other end of the world. In a Seljuk game I managed to snatch an entire kingdom in Anatolia off the Romans because their army was in Estonia for some reason.
  4. the AI is pretty passive in expanding, possibly as a result of the above. They don't seem interested in consolidating their de jure borders in easy fights.
  5. the AI is extremely focused on revoking a bunch of counties, fighting constant tyranny wars in the process. This one is tough because that's nominally a good move but they pick fights way above their strength, and are thus constantly in civil wars
  6. Player characters live waaaaay too long. Unless you actively seek death by running headlong into every battle, odds are good you'll see 70. Which is a lot of time spent at the height of your power.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I also feel the vassal limits are way too high (I have literally never ran into them, whereas in CK2 they were a threat), meaning you can just have a bunch of weak vassals, especially since the disparity between someone with good MaA and someone with bad ones is lesser, letting you do things like hold way too much duchies because who cares if your vassals keep rebelling you have ridiculous man at arms.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hellioning posted:

I also feel the vassal limits are way too high (I have literally never ran into them, whereas in CK2 they were a threat), meaning you can just have a bunch of weak vassals, especially since the disparity between someone with good MaA and someone with bad ones is lesser, letting you do things like hold way too much duchies because who cares if your vassals keep rebelling you have ridiculous man at arms.

If they just fixed MaA stat stacking, wouldn't that solve the issue? It seems like the root of the problem is the ability for the player to take on 10 to 1 odds with space marine MaA and Champions mowing down levies by the thousands.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the stress system is good, but it mostly seems to force you to pick between two options I mostly didn't care about in the first place.

1. the AI doesn't understand MaA at all, and their armies are extremely feeble as a result.
  2. the AI is very bad at warfare in general. They can massively outnumber their opponents, yet bring their entire army to chase a small stack around instead of executing sieges, and depleting all of their supplies while they do so.
  3. the AI is happy to commit its entire army to helping some ally on the other end of the world. In a Seljuk game I managed to snatch an entire kingdom in Anatolia off the Romans because their army was in Estonia for some reason.
  4. the AI is pretty passive in expanding, possibly as a result of the above. They don't seem interested in consolidating their de jure borders in easy fights.
  5. the AI is extremely focused on revoking a bunch of counties, fighting constant tyranny wars in the process. This one is tough because that's nominally a good move but they pick fights way above their strength, and are thus constantly in civil wars
  6. Player characters live waaaaay too long. Unless you actively seek death by running headlong into every battle, odds are good you'll see 70. Which is a lot of time spent at the height of your power.

I agree with you, but the other guy is also right. CK2 was just as piss easy as this once you ripped the hood off it. Remember the standing armies you had just chilling 24/7? The AI didn't know how to handle that in CK2 either. In CK3, it's just easier to understand everything.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MikeC posted:

If they just fixed MaA stat stacking, wouldn't that solve the issue? It seems like the root of the problem is the ability for the player to take on 10 to 1 odds with space marine MaA and Champions mowing down levies by the thousands.

It wouldn't help when it came to the war AI, which is still very very dumb. It would help though.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I agree with you, but the other guy is also right. CK2 was just as piss easy as this once you ripped the hood off it. Remember the standing armies you had just chilling 24/7? The AI didn't know how to handle that in CK2 either. In CK3, it's just easier to understand everything.

Say what you will about CK3 at least you can't walk your retinue into a country's territory and declare war a day before it reaches it for a massive advantage in that game.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Counterpoint: Stat stacking is fun and allows you do cool things like creating a really centralized hard to conquer state. Its really fun playing as the the Shah of Kabulistan in 867 and basically doing guerilla war on invading armies. I look forward to doing more of it by creating a complete custom kingdom stretching across the Himalayas, Hindu Kush, Pamirs and Tianshan mountains and dorfing it up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MikeC posted:

It would help, but there's bigger issues as well; the entire class of MaA that is light infantry and skirmishers (with the notable exception of Horse Archers) are so utterly useless that there's no reason to ever recruit them, and removing stacking will not help with that. I'm of a mind that the entire MaA counter system is worth discarding entirely as well too but I'm not sure what you replace it with to bring back asymmetry.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Light infantry is great for buffing up your initial numbers when starting out. The AI tends to recruit heavy infantry which is countered by light infantry.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I really try to RP so my characters in general try not to be dicks and i don’t take advantage of stuff like dread or torturing or murdering so i end up making the game harder because i work within moral constraints

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m getting hype for this but there’s no way I’m beta testing another paradox release (even though I own it already through the royal pack), especially after northern lords.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
it just occurred to me that murdering royalty in order to gain power is more moral than doing it through wars that kill tens of thousands of people :thunk:

i wonder how far i could get in a playthrough where i don’t declare any wars

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ELTON JOHN posted:

it just occurred to me that murdering royalty in order to gain power is more moral than doing it through wars that kill tens of thousands of people :thunk:

i wonder how far i could get in a playthrough where i don’t declare any wars

Umm that’s a legitimate and powerful strategy.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
sweet. extremely pumped to be a line of royalty-murdering heroes of the peasantry in my next playthrough. probably as a viking

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Umm that’s a legitimate and powerful strategy.

Not declaring wars? It can work, but it will definetly make the game a lot harder. Wars are easy to win

PittTheElder posted:

I agree to most of this. And I feel CK2 was harder, because at least the AI was a lot more aggressive and retinues werent so powerful as MaA can be, even though you could abuse it too. Also characters died a lot more easily, specially from diseases. And eugenics was a bit harder too

I guess it woulnd be hard to make the AI use MaA effectively too, since is very simple ("choose the strongest type, specialize on it" is pretty much enough), but that would be to admit their system dont work as they intended

edit: also, murdering people feels easier too, murder plots seems to have a higher success rate, compared to CK2. And at the same time, the AI seems to avoid trying to murder the player. I have some dozens of hours on Ck3 already and I dont think I was ever murdered, while I can usually murder most people I want

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 8, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tankbuster posted:

heavy infantry which is countered by light infantry.

Wait, what? Why? Even on completely flat fields?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Not declaring wars? It can work, but it will definetly make the game a lot harder. Wars are easy to win

I mean yeah, obviously you’re hamstringing yourself if you don’t declare wars but you can hoover up huge swathes of land with scheming, murder and marriage.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

THE BAR posted:

Wait, what? Why? Even on completely flat fields?

It says right there on the unit counters. The starting LI are weak to archers but strong against Foot Infantry.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I agree with all of these, especially 1 and 6.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-89-1-5-0-fleur-de-lis-patch-notes.1509587/

Patch notes are out!!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is the expac live now? I just tried playing the game and saw none of the new features.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So tech is still part of culture?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

SirPhoebos posted:

Is the expac live now? I just tried playing the game and saw none of the new features.

Should be up in a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tankbuster posted:

It says right there on the unit counters. The starting LI are weak to archers but strong against Foot Infantry.

But that doesn't make any sense. You put guys in heavy armour to murder the peasantry in rags.

Pretty cool that both artifacts and the coat of arms maker are part of the free patch. The latter especially feels like something you'd normally find in a DLC.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 8, 2022