Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Relentless posted:

It's not the ones that spill coffee on their keyboards that are a problem.

It's the ones that lie about it and claim they don't know what happened.

Justice doesn't discriminate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I can literally see the coffee stains when removing the keyboard and smell the stench of old coffee. Fooling absolutely nobody.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Back when I did school IT I had to deal with a laptop that some kid had pissed on. Of course I didn’t realise it was piss until I opened it up and the stink hit me.

Yeah I don’t miss working in schools.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bargearse posted:

Back when I did school IT I had to deal with a laptop that some kid had pissed on. Of course I didn’t realise it was piss until I opened it up and the stink hit me.

Did enough mouse piss computers to last me for a while. I swear there is a nest in every computer that's in a garage.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
One heavy smoker was enough for latex gloves to be a default, mandatory item in every tool bag I have now.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Ancient grandpa spotted.

Let me offer you terrible hard candy and stories of administering NT4.0

T-connectors. 3db of signal loss per.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

I am beyond caring about the "why" and I am honestly confused why anyone else would be either. They might not legitimately know what caused the screen to break. It also doesn't matter if they know. Laptops and phones breaking as people use them is simply the cost of doing business.

I can assure you 100% that they don't want to go through the headache of getting a laptop replaced. Almost as much as you not wanting to replace it.

Getting transparently lied to about stupid poo poo like you're talking to a three year old is infuriating, no matter how trivial the fix is.
It doesn't matter if they know, it matters if they can be an adult about it during a routine workplace interaction. You're right in that no one cares why it broke, and neither us nor the end user is directly paying for it anyway, but someone telling me they have no idea how the crayon got on the wall is just disrespectful in colleague interactions.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
It's fairly normal for people not to want to admit stuff like spilt coffee / broken laptops so it doesn't bother me. Just the same as people will try and wriggle out of anything they did wrong.

If the person was alright I'd usually mock them, I can remember saying to one guy "I see what has happened here" and he was a bit surprised... "yes, this black circle in the middle of your screen will be where your thumb caught it when you dropped it"

I just made it up / took an educated guess and I guess he believed I could actually tell and was then very apologetic

I told him I wasn't bothered, I think he was just worried I'd tell him off or not replace it or something.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bargearse posted:

Back in the beginning of my IT career I was working as a desktop support person at a company.

A VP, who we all considered one of the good ones, very nice treated us well and was kind, brought in a laptop that wouldn't boot. I started working on it and learned that Dell, at that time at least, had some little sticker that would change colors if it was exposed to water. I figured it got something spilled on it and started the process to get it replaced under warranty.

The VP then admitted that her new puppy had pissed all over her laptop bag. What the gently caress lady? I was wrist deep in that thing! You couldve warned me!

She apologized at least once she realized how gross that was.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I think the longer you're in the business, and the bigger the company you're in helps with understanding how little desktop support cares about the "why" than the what.

I had a can of monster puncture in my laptop bag in the elevator one morning and drowned a MacBook Air. I went straight over to desktop and explained what happened.

"We're out of Airs right now, so do you want a 13" or 15" MacBook Pro?"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I've had an external HDD almost become casualty to a can of Cherry Coke, and a bunch of other stuff dodged the wrath of a Strawberry Fanta due to sheer luck over a decade later. poo poo happens and we all do stupid things like assume a can will be safe in a bag this time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had a dude who left his laptop on the top of his car and then drove away. To HP's credit they replaced the laptop with the bag of parts the guy brought in.

Edit; bad English

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 8, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm reading that as "they took his bag of parts and gave him a different bag full of replacement parts"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah the reasons for damage never bothered me, it wasnt my money.

Just tell me the truth and what was damaged so I can troubleshoot it quicker!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Years ago, I was responsible for cell phones in my medium-sized business. We had a bunch of folks that were field engineers in both senses of the term "field". One day one of the older guys came to me with a sheepish grin and an iPhone folding at a 30° angle.

Apparently it fell out of his pocket just as he was closing the heavy-rear end door on his truck, and got caught.

Beside the fact that we already budgeted for accidents (these guys were in some pretty gnarly places), he was at the end of the contract for his line and due for an upgrade anyway. He just had to wait a day or so because his sim card also had a measurable curvature.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The first warm weekend of the year is always fun for phones.

"I dropped my phone in the lake"

"I went swimming and forgot my phone was in my pocket"

You're almost out of data. You have <10% remaining and may incur overage. Switch today to get unlimited data at vzw.com/unlimited

Which of my users is using streaming video at a campsite...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Eh, it's a cost of business and I'm sure companies come out ahead from having their staff tethered to their jobs by a smartphone that costs very little as a percentage of the total costs of that employee. I'm sure it happens due to rigid enforcement of one-size-fits-all policies, but someone who would cause a rift with an incredibly good member of staff over a £200 data overage or a slightly poor average for how long their equipment lasts is not a good manager.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's what always gets me about hardware damage that actually affects productivity. Do you think your time cost the company less than an laptop if you are idle for a month?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Apparently it fell out of his pocket just as he was closing the heavy-rear end door on his truck, and got caught.

I had that happen the other week when a thing in my car on a windshield mount in the lower left corner fell off right as I was closing the door and got wedged right in the door hinge area. Destroyed the LCD but fortunately the rest was fine, and it only cost $35 plus two way shipping for the manufacturer to replace the LCD, so not terrible. Definitely a believable tale, haha.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

That's what always gets me about hardware damage that actually affects productivity. Do you think your time cost the company less than an laptop if you are idle for a month?

Wait, are you telling me that I can spend a month loving around if I just break my laptop and keep quiet?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Arquinsiel posted:

had a boss's boss who was like this with the on-call phone, which had a clapped-out battery. I notified my boss in writing that I would not endeavour to avoid the on-call rota, but that if the company, in the person of said boss's boss, observably didn't consider a reliable on-call phone a suitable use of money, then I would follow the company's expressed preference. Said boss's boss has since been made redundant and I got a less dead work phone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
That's a golden ticket to free on call money. "Sorry, phone died".

RFC2324 posted:

Wait, are you telling me that I can spend a month loving around if I just break my laptop and keep quiet?
As long as your boss never checks the ticket that you absolutely submitted to get it fixed... sure. Probably stretch it out to a full quarter if you spin some bullshit about "pandemic supply chains" and your boss is particularly trusting.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
That's a golden ticket to free on call money. "Sorry, phone died".

As long as your boss never checks the ticket that you absolutely submitted to get it fixed... sure. Probably stretch it out to a full quarter if you spin some bullshit about "pandemic supply chains" and your boss is particularly trusting.

make sure you accidentally route the ticket to a dead queue. depending on the state of your ticketing system you can get away with this for a shocking amount of time, based on some of the poo poo I have seen

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"These barcos are trash! They keep disconnecting!"

*Finds cheap USB-A to USB-C adapter for Logitech wireless in the port next to the port the Barco is plugged into*

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

make sure you accidentally route the ticket to a dead queue. depending on the state of your ticketing system you can get away with this for a shocking amount of time, based on some of the poo poo I have seen
Heck if you're WFH how do you even get a ticket raised? :thunk:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

In some jobs you don't even need to break your laptop!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Years ago, I was responsible for cell phones in my medium-sized business. We had a bunch of folks that were field engineers in both senses of the term "field". One day one of the older guys came to me with a sheepish grin and an iPhone folding at a 30° angle.

Beside the fact that we already budgeted for accidents (these guys were in some pretty gnarly places), he was at the end of the contract for his line and due for an upgrade anyway. He just had to wait a day or so because his sim card also had a measurable curvature.

The phrase "his sim card also had a measurable curvature" is making me giggle every time I read it, so thanks for that.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Did enough mouse piss computers to last me for a while. I swear there is a nest in every computer that's in a garage.

Took me a while to parse this correctly. I was like, who pisses on their computer mouse :dafuq:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bell jar posted:

Took me a while to parse this correctly. I was like, who pisses on their computer mouse :dafuq:

the internet is a wild place

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
smarthands more like paininmyasshands

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
for as much of a pain it is to handle dark fiber

man, the combination of T2 circuit providers combined with unmanned colos loving blows chunks. I want this ticket to just go awayyyyyyyyyy

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

bell jar posted:

You and your John Howard avatar can't tell me what to do

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For people using Meraki's really janky SAML implementation, it's worth signing up to this

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Feature-Announcements/Single-Sign-On-for-Mobile-Private-Beta/ba-p/139350

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bargearse posted:

thankfully this was not considered an IT matter but one time a kid here threw a frisbee full of piss down the stairs to the science wing

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Weedle posted:

thankfully this was not considered an IT matter but one time a kid here threw a frisbee full of piss down the stairs to the science wing

Did the experiment work?

Surely the kid thought up some dumb experiment to use as an excuse to sling piss around

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

For people using Meraki's really janky SAML implementation, it's worth signing up to this

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Feature-Announcements/Single-Sign-On-for-Mobile-Private-Beta/ba-p/139350

Yeah but when the gently caress are they going to enable SSO to Azure directly for WiFi auth so I don't have to run RADIUS somewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably never, they want to sell you their own identity platform

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Probably never, they want to sell you their own identity platform

But they do it for Google, is the thing. I've been presuming it's just that they're a bunch of anti-Microsoft morons and refuse to integrate with one of the most widely-used IDPs. One of the more frustrating things in trying to move clients to cloud-only, because running a RADIUS server in Azure doesn't qualify as cloud (i.e. we still have to admin it).

Interesting factoid I heard from a friend who works there, apparently it used to be an insane frathouse environment (very unpleasant for women obvs), sanctioned by one of the founders who was fratbro douchebag supreme, and most of those guys got shoved out at some point and went to work for that founder's NEW company, Verkata. So that whole "employees watching women with the cameras" thing with Verkata was...not a surprise to anyone at Meraki.

edit: should clarify this is mostly about the sales department, the engineering department may have been very different

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I once got a laptop someone had had a double nosebleed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah but when the gently caress are they going to enable SSO to Azure directly for WiFi auth so I don't have to run RADIUS somewhere.

Never cause there are no known protocols for that. It's more likely that microsoft provides radius for azure than a new magical auth scheme for wifi materializes.