Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

It should come out in about 5 ish hours or so if it comes out the same time the others do.

gently caress yes!

Some tidbits...

quote:

New Council Tasks:

Bestow Royal Favor (Chancellor): Increase the Prestige of both you and a select vassal, while significantly increasing their opinion of you.
Convince De Jure Territory (Steward): Convince other rulers to relinquish to you what is yours by De Jure right, or face diplomatic consequences.
Manage Royal Guards (Marshal): Increase the effectiveness of your knights, while reducing the success chance of any schemes targeting your person.

I don't think we saw that officially before? I like the convince de jure territory option!

quote:

Added new Men at Arms - Monaspa, unlocked by the Caucasian wolves tradition (requires to be or descend from Georgian culture)
Added new Men at Arms - Mulaththamun, unlocked by the tradition Desert Ribats for Berber heritage cultures
Added new Men at Arms - Nile Archers, unlocked by the tradition Land of the bow, for East African heritage
Added new Men at Arms - Garuda Warriors, unlocked by the Garuda Warriors tradition (Dravidian heritage)

Nice to see this continue to expand.

quote:

You can now pick the map color of your new faith when you create a faith

gently caress yes!

quote:

- Claimant Faction - The AI will now only prefer siding with an existing Claimant faction if the Claimant is of their faith/culture and they like them better than their current liege

Hmmm. This may help with that everyone loves me but keeps revolting situation.

quote:

- It's now somewhat stressful for certain characters to execute or torture their children

ah, crusader kings. :allears:

quote:

- Made the Mongols pay less for their Army Maintenance for a while after appearing

I like any buff to the mongols.

quote:

- Rebalanced Dread from Executions, you should no longer get massive amounts of dread for executing random peasants

GOOD. That poo poo was broken.

quote:

- Torturing infidels as a zealous character is now relaxing

Heh.

quote:

- You will no longer get Dread for executing prisoners that have spent so much time in your prison that everyone's probably forgotten them by now

Also good. Prison larder has been nerfed as it deserved.

quote:

- Allowed the AI to assign their Spymaster to support their scheme if there are ongoing murder or abduct attempt, and if the Spymaster is skilled enough

The fact that they weren't doing this before explains a bit.

quote:

- Fixed the AI being unable to upgrade special buildings and duchy capital buildings

Oh this may actually help them out a decent amount.

quote:

- Told the AI that even if it can't get to the war goal due to attrition, sieging something near it to open a path is a pretty good idea

We'll see.

quote:

- Fixed the checkbox for "Only X Faiths" in the Other Faiths list being inverted

Nice, that's always bugged me. :buddy:

quote:

- Small static portraits in places like the character finder now refresh on a yearly basis so that they don't get horrifically out of date, like showing a toddler in place of a 25 year old

Also nice.

And man a ton of bug fixes that I'm happy to see. Hopefully the thousand new ones doesn't cancel them out right away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
So which character/county will everyone play when it is released?
I've been waiting on the expansion to try one of the Tamil culture characters to try and do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ypupxhNDc

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Continuing to justify being the only patch notes I read in full.

quote:

Made sure you can always extort a murderer if you walk in on them killing someone during a feast

quote:

You will no longer magically know that a prisoner killed a family member, but they might accidentally confess if they're stupid

quote:

You're now clearly told why you cannot abduct your own child since decency evidently isn't enough

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

Player characters live waaaaay too long. Unless you actively seek death by running headlong into every battle, odds are good you'll see 70. Which is a lot of time spent at the height of your power.

Absolutely this. In CK2 you had some rulers live into their late 50s/early 60s but it was relatively rare, and a 70 y.o. ruler was kind of a once-a-game thing. In CK3 barring accidents and stabbings, I never had a ruler die less than 55 I think, and several ones got to the late 60s/early 70s... most rulers get to around 50 with their health still "fine" and that's without even getting the Medicine focus, just good court physicians.

This of course means that half the time, your idiotic failson of an heir proceeds to pump out even worse failnephews and then kick the bucket, leaving you in the shoes of a 16 year old nobody with barely 1-2 counties to their name, that every vassal hates and doesn't even have claims on their siblings/uncles' lands...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

THE BAR posted:

But that doesn't make any sense. You put guys in heavy armour to murder the peasantry in rags.

"Peasantry in rags" are levies, they don't counter anything. Light foot MaA are more like skirmish troops that counter heavy infantry via manuever, while heavy infantry counter, like, pikes and bows once they get in their face?

i dunno I just play here

Batmans dad
Jun 27, 2008

quote:

Torturing infidels as a zealous character is now relaxing

Well, there's a thread title if I ever saw one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Absolutely this. In CK2 you had some rulers live into their late 50s/early 60s but it was relatively rare, and a 70 y.o. ruler was kind of a once-a-game thing. In CK3 barring accidents and stabbings, I never had a ruler die less than 55 I think, and several ones got to the late 60s/early 70s... most rulers get to around 50 with their health still "fine" and that's without even getting the Medicine focus, just good court physicians.
Injury and disease seem way more survivable in CK3 compared to CK2. I’ve had outbreaks of the Black Plague where half my court caught it but basically nobody died.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TjyvTompa posted:

So which character/county will everyone play when it is released?
I've been waiting on the expansion to try one of the Tamil culture characters to try and do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ypupxhNDc

Personally I've been holding off on this so I could play a Han Taoist ruler and build a harmonious Silk Road state.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Quorum posted:

Personally I've been holding off on this so I could play a Han Taoist ruler and build a harmonious Silk Road state.

Great idea, good luck when the mongols appear! :)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

megane posted:

Injury and disease seem way more survivable in CK3 compared to CK2. I’ve had outbreaks of the Black Plague where half my court caught it but basically nobody died.

Yeah, it is

Physicians are more effective too

Plus we have perks and dynasty legacies that make you characters live more or be more resistant to diseases

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Also the AI is completely inept at intriguing you. I've played 500+ hours and the only time I've ever been murdered is as Daurama Daura when she was one of the first characters I played, and who I learned starts with a rival with super high intrigue who wants you dead. Never had that situation develop organically playing through ever.

Disease outbreaks are too easy to stop by just kicking out the courtier that gets it. The only situation in which a black death really hit me was when it started with my heir, and even then it wasn't that big a deal.

And yeah, there are too many health bonuses that are too easy to get and stack and almost no long term health maluses that seem to do anything.

I have to actively try to get a leader to die before 50 even in very early tribal games with no resources, up to 80 in late game feudal age.

I think they made PCs too healthy to avoid the awful game over from an heirless pc dying, hopefully down the line they figure out a way to let us play as a landless dynasty member and then can crank up pc death rates in return.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

megane posted:

The bland way they treat The Black Death is a real bummer to me. It’s one of the truly transforming events of European history and it’s just not that impactful in game.

I know I know, dlc down the line, I’m just saying.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BigglesSWE posted:

The bland way they treat The Black Death is a real bummer to me. It’s one of the truly transforming events of European history and it’s just not that impactful in game.

I know I know, dlc down the line, I’m just saying.

I think it might be an over correction from Paradox because in CK2 the black death could easily completely ruin your game by killing almost everyone. I am still salty about it ruining my Venice game by killing off all the other merchant families completely.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SlothBear posted:

Also the AI is completely inept at intriguing you. I've played 500+ hours and the only time I've ever been murdered is as Daurama Daura when she was one of the first characters I played, and who I learned starts with a rival with super high intrigue who wants you dead. Never had that situation develop organically playing through ever.

Yeah, is very rare to see the AI try to murder you, in my experience too.

And at the other hand, when the player decides to murder someone, most of the time is easy (even foreign rulers)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

I think it might be an over correction from Paradox because in CK2 the black death could easily completely ruin your game by killing almost everyone. I am still salty about it ruining my Venice game by killing off all the other merchant families completely.

It's realistic!

With regards to diseases specifically, I can imagine that the developers weren't really in the mood to model horrifying epidemics in 2020. But everything else is also much more calculable in CK3, only the death-in-battle rate is pretty high (without certain perks), but that just gives you an easy way to rid yourself of undesirable heirs.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TjyvTompa posted:

After the End Fan Fork had a bug in one of their recent patches which made it so that none of the AI secluded themselves during the Red Death (anthrax), and so 70% of the characters in-game got wiped out. Entire family trees of 100+ characters were gone. My own family tree of 250 got whittled down to 80. Lot of interesting marriages suddenly occurred afterwards.

It was pretty cool but then the next patch fixed it. I think seclusion in CK2 should only have a chance of preventing disease.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

pidan posted:

It's realistic!

With regards to diseases specifically, I can imagine that the developers weren't really in the mood to model horrifying epidemics in 2020. But everything else is also much more calculable in CK3, only the death-in-battle rate is pretty high (without certain perks), but that just gives you an easy way to rid yourself of undesirable heirs.

The rate of maiming and deaths in battle in unrealistically high, while the rate of death from disease is unrealistically low. It's like none of the nobles fighting are using armor at all, or all the battles are being fought with late medieval gunpowder weaponry.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

After the End Fan Fork had a bug in one of their recent patches which made it so that none of the AI secluded themselves during the Red Death (anthrax), and so 70% of the characters in-game got wiped out. Entire family trees of 100+ characters were gone. My own family tree of 250 got whittled down to 80. Lot of interesting marriages suddenly occurred afterwards.

It was pretty cool but then the next patch fixed it. I think seclusion in CK2 should only have a chance of preventing disease.

Sounds like my experience in unmodded CK2. The AI characters did seclude themselves but they never did anything about characters that were inside with them that had the disease so they all died anyway. It is weird seeing most characters reach 60+ years old but I prefer it compared to how it was in CK2.
And I think Paradox made the best choice between realism and playability, CK2 was kind of frustrating to play with all the diseases, especially republics since you relied so much on having a large family.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

1. the AI doesn't understand MaA at all, and their armies are extremely feeble as a result.

I've thought about this a bunch over the last year, and I think the way to do it is to get rid of all the generic MaA, and then make every culture's MaA available in the tribal era. It'll make it so you naturally have enemies that you are good at fighting, and ones that you need to be careful about or they'll roll right over you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TjyvTompa posted:

And I think Paradox made the best choice between realism and playability, CK2 was kind of frustrating to play with all the diseases, especially republics since you relied so much on having a large family.

In CK2 diseases got too common and too powerful after the plague DLC (forgot the name), its wanst always like that

And I appreciate that they decided to tone that down in CK3, but now its gone too far, I think

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Servetus posted:

The rate of maiming and deaths in battle in unrealistically high, while the rate of death from disease is unrealistically low. It's like none of the nobles fighting are using armor at all, or all the battles are being fought with late medieval gunpowder weaponry.

It’s like a lot of the fighting sides has a “no prisoner” attitude, which is very much against the norm of medieval European fighting, when a victorious army would be scrambling to get their hands on the enemy nobles, expecting a juicy payday down the road for their release. I could see them adding something to this in the future, having people making their fortune by hunting down particularly rich enemies on the battlefield.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Elias_Maluco posted:

In CK2 diseases got too common and too powerful after the plague DLC (forgot the name), its wanst always like that

And I appreciate that they decided to tone that down in CK3, but now its gone too far, I think

Yeah I know, I played CK2 during its entire "lifetime" but I will admit that I stopped after having my Venice game ruined by the black death. It's probably a hard thing to balance but I do agree with that they toned it down too much in CK3, I am sure there will be some future expansion that adds it back though, just like adding things such as hospitals and player manors like we got in CK2.

The Royal Court expansion is almost here now, just 25 more minutes to go, perfect time to watch this video on 8 interesting Royal Court starts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxkvlPU2ro

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s like a lot of the fighting sides has a “no prisoner” attitude, which is very much against the norm of medieval European fighting, when a victorious army would be scrambling to get their hands on the enemy nobles, expecting a juicy payday down the road for their release. I could see them adding something to this in the future, having people making their fortune by hunting down particularly rich enemies on the battlefield.

This is true, but also you can look at the number of metal facemasks around your court indicating people who have been maimed; there are way too many. Prior to firearms grievous loss of limb was a lot less likely to be seen among veterans, the weapons caused that kind of injury less often and it was more likely to see someone, with many scars, perhaps a missing eye or a damaged leg or arm, but still have all their bits.

From acoup.blog: https://acoup.blog/2021/02/12/collections-the-universal-warrior-part-iib-a-soldiers-lot/

quote:

Of course the wounds themselves were also different. One thing Hudson notes in the emergence of an English (and later British) pension and hospital system for wounded veterans was how this process was motivated by the change in the kinds of wounds received created by gunpowder weapons. Now of course ancient weapons could also give disabling wounds (note Debby Sneed’s work on the topic of people with disabilities in the ancient world), but the real difference in the lethality of different kinds of weapons matters quite a bit.

The modern reader, for instance, may be puzzled by the repeated framing in ancient texts of units in combat being ‘wearied by wounds’ since generally speaking a soldier wounded in combat with modern weapons is typically a lot more than ‘wearied’ by the experience. But pre-gunpowder weapons aren’t that lethal, especially with blows land against the limbs instead of the head or the chest (which might be better armored in any case). When you view, for instance, tests of pre-modern weapons, remember that real targets would be armored and often moving to try to minimize the damage of the hit (on this see S. James, “The Point of the Sword: What Roman-era weapons could to do bodies – and why they often didn’t” in Waffen in Aktion, ed. A.W. Busch and H.J. Schalles (2010)). Which is how you have M. Servilius covered in scars and yet still very much alive in his 70s to brag about them.

Firearms – even fairly early firearms – are substantially more lethal (a point W.E. Lee makes in Empires and Indigines (2011) in explaining why even slow-firing muskets so radically raised the lethality of ranged fire exchanges as compared to bows as to force Native North Americans to give up such pitched battles entirely). They inflict very different sorts of wounds, which often require the removal of limbs. It is striking that, prior to gunpowder, the image of the disabled veteran seems to have been a scarred fellow, with all of his limbs, but perhaps a limp or a missing eye (both Philip II of Macedon and Antigonus Monopthalmus, one of his generals, managed each to lose an eye in combat) or requiring a crutch (note Debby Sneed’s piece above for a few pictures; Matthew, A Storm of Spears (2012) also has a relevant discussion of wounds in hoplite combat).

With gunpowder, as Hudson’s essay demonstrates quite clearly (he has some tables on the topic) the picture changes. With musket balls or grape-shot, non-lethal scarring wounds to the body were far less common (such wounds were much more likely to be lethal) while wounds to the extremities seem to have often rendered limbs inoperative, if there was a limb left at all. It was precisely this change in military technology that overwhelmed the old charitable systems of almshouses and forced the reforms Hudson discusses.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Update is live on Steam, not sure if the DLC itself is unlocked yet.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 8, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dallan Invictus posted:

Update is live on Steam, not sure if the DLC itself is unlocked yet.

It is.
Restart steam if you don't have the update yet.
Edit: The DLC is available on Steam and is listed as owned but the launcher doesn't recognize it. Im dying over here send help.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 8, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Downloaded the update, and it really sucks that I'm just starting my workday :negative:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

How are u posted:

Downloaded the update, and it really sucks that I'm just starting my workday :negative:

:same:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Ok NOW the DLC is out for real, lets go!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
oh drat you gotta be king or higher to hold court. welp i guess i gotta start murdering my way up then

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

^^^ yeah they said that during the dev diaries, I'm really hoping you can attend your local King or Emperor's court though? Assuming you're a vassal I guess

binge crotching posted:

I've thought about this a bunch over the last year, and I think the way to do it is to get rid of all the generic MaA, and then make every culture's MaA available in the tribal era. It'll make it so you naturally have enemies that you are good at fighting, and ones that you need to be careful about or they'll roll right over you.

Yeah that'd be a good step as well. There's some that seem like they belong more in the late game (big Pike blocks mostly) but yeah stuff like Druzhina and Cataphracts should absolutely be available in the Tribal era, and there's loads of weird stuff like the Germans and Sicilians not starting with the armoured cav tech in even the 1066 start (insane given Armored Cav is basically how the HRE came to be in the first place, and the exploits of the Normans in the Roman Empire just a few years later).

But the biggest problem is that the AI is currently told in the defines file to recruit as many different MaA types as possible, meaning all of their armies are completely generic no matter the tech setup. I've tried editing that out as well, and while they don't really specialize to the degree they should, the King of France is a hell of lot scarier walking around with 400 ACav in 1066.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 8, 2022

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
We literally just got a new update and everyone is complaining about the previous update. Go play a bit and update your priors, jeez.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
welp time to murder an infant to avoid a war

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

scaterry posted:

We literally just got a new update and everyone is complaining about the previous update. Go play a bit and update your priors, jeez.

Look buddy I can't play CK3 while at work, but I sure can shitpost about it

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I've been furiously F5ing for the update then remembered its a mid level change in an absolutely glacially paced game.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I forgot how pretty ck3 is, and how much I love the UI changes.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Held court, went OK, left court, a situation developed a few days later, went back into court, clicked on the guy with the situation, game crashed.

Ah, release-day CK, I have missed you.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Something has changed about how the characters are rendered, maybe the skin texture / eyes. At first glance I really hate it, closed the game for now. Maybe I'll get used to it as time goes on.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Held Court, woman brought me a spiked chastity belt as I am a known adulterer, had her flogged for mocking me. A+ would hold court again.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The lack of skulls in the coat of arms editor is driving me mad but probably less than the mod that will fix that but disable achievement for NO REASON. So ck3 as usual. Also you need to be able to mirror those animals emblems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I love it when you try to follow a youtube "tutorial" and it is immediately obvious that the guy didn't do it in ironman mode for a reason. He cheated. Guess this Tamil run will take a bit longer than expected.