Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Where is that goon that ran during recall, bring him back. What animal is he going to bring along in his campaign van though? Bears are already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

A golden retriever named Comet with poise and gentleness as unwavering as the Ace Combat dog

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

quarantinethepast posted:

Where is that goon that ran during recall, bring him back. What animal is he going to bring along in his campaign van though? Bears are already done.
Canasta_Nasty, also known as David Moore.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3630303&pagenumber=786&perpage=40#post517538217

According to ballotpedia he received 31,224 votes during the recall election.
https://ballotpedia.org/David_Moore_(California)

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 5, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Yeah he did really well in the recall, not just in votes but raising class consciousness amongst workers by pointing out the in-our-face problems (pandemic, climate) and their cause. Hopefully the SEP runs someone again with the same vigour. That landlord loving capitalism-isnt-that-bad Green candidate getting more votes is really indicative

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2022/02/05/how-last-minute-progressive-push-sunk-universal-health-care-in-california/

quote:

Despite, or perhaps because of, an aggressive last-minute push by progressive activists ahead of a crucial deadline, legislation to create a government-run universal health care system in California died without coming up for a vote.

The single-payer measure, Assembly Bill 1400, was the latest attempt to deliver on a longtime priority of Democratic Party faithful to get private insurers and profit margins out of health care. Because it was introduced last year, when it stalled without receiving a single hearing, it needed to pass the Assembly by Monday to continue through the legislative process.

But even the threat of losing the party’s endorsement in the upcoming election cycle was not enough to persuade the Assembly’s Democratic supermajority to advance the bill for further consideration, effectively killing the effort for another year.

After several tense hours Monday afternoon, during which a scramble of meetings took place just off the Assembly floor, Assemblymember Ash Kalra, the San Jose Democrat carrying AB 1400, announced that he would not bring up the measure for a vote.

Kalra declined multiple requests to discuss his decision and whether he would seek another path forward for his proposal. Following the floor session, he waited on a members-only balcony outside the chamber until a group of reporters was told to leave by a sergeant-at-arms.

“I don’t believe it would have served the cause of getting single payer done by having the vote and having it go down in flames and further alienating members,” Kalra said on a Zoom call with disappointed supporters later in the evening, in which he shared that he believed the bill, which needed 41 votes to pass, was short by “double digits.”

Later on in the article a chairperson of the California Democrat Party said that they wouldn't say who these mysterious assembly people who would have voted "no" were because they were worried that they would get scrutinized (for not doing their job I guess :shrug:)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Scrutinizing a politician is the worst thing you can ever do. It's very triggering for them, and is essentially violence. Same for remembering things they said and then repeating those things back to them.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hope you enjoyed the rain we got Oct and Dec cause that's all NorCal's gonna get

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1490412611472543744?s=20&t=o7rfd4qNRDY97Ol1mRDM2g

Temps in the 80s possible this month, both sweet and terrifying

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally some global warming.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah SLO's got a forecast of 82 on Wednesday and I feel like my beard might spontaneously shed

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's only gonna be 73 here proving once again that the sierras are based.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Not another Ridiculously Resilient Ridge!

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Beach day!

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The rest of the country: Prepare for a large winter storm, ice and snow everywhere! School is canceled, toilet paper is in limited supply.

California: Prepare for extended 80-90 degree weather.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
E: Wrong thread

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CompeAnansi posted:

The rest of the country: Prepare for a large winter storm, ice and snow everywhere! School is canceled, toilet paper is in limited supply.

*gets swim trunks and sunscreen* I am prepared

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm just surprised there was snow on the mountains in Southern California for as long as there was. almost two whole months!

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

And just in time to be in crowded air-conditioned spaces.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/07/us/california-indoor-mask-mandate-ending/index.html

California's indoor mask mandate will end next week for vaccinated people, governor says

quote:

(CNN)Citing a 65% drop in Covid-19 cases since the peak of the Omicron surge, California will end its statewide indoor mask mandate for vaccinated individuals next week, nearly two years after it was first implemented, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Monday.

"On February 15, California's statewide indoor mask requirement will expire. Unvaccinated people must still wear masks in indoor public settings," he said. Less than 20% of the state's population remain unvaccinated, according to data from the state health department.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

20% of the Californian population is still about 8 million people, or about twice the population of LA proper or roughly the population of Virginia.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/Elex_Michaelson/status/1490856465216671745

Personally, I havent had a cold in a few years now because of masks.
So gently caress everyone else, i'm going to be masked up for the next few years at least.

CompeAnansi posted:

I dont think my wallet can handle another extended heat wave this summer of 105+ like last year (from running my AC constantly)

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 8, 2022

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

OgNar posted:

So gently caress everyone else, i'm going to be masked up for the next few years at least.

2 years without a cold has been great!

I already told my kids that we might loosen up and start letting kids over for playdates and sleepovers once the cases in LA get really low, but for places like grocery stores and theme parks we will be keeping these masks on for the near future. They do not care either way, which was awesome.

I saw a Let's Go Brandon shirt in the wild yesterday on a maskless woman at Legoland in SD, and it was startling because it's the first thing like that I've seen in person. My kids were wondering out loud why so many people were unmasked, not out of jealousy but more concerned about their personal health.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

There really aren't that many people walking around with Let's go Brandon shirts, you think there would be a few since it's basically a more subtle version of a MAGA hat but I've seen all of 2 people wearing them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The truth is nobody likes a landlord. Even if you're doing well the last thing you want to do is pay rent. It's probably the one thing people pay for that feels the most like a tax on being alive.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

OgNar posted:

I don't know if I'm going to keep masked up for the next few years, but for now I'll probably be playing it by ear for a while. Some other Greek alphabet strain is going to pop up again, and I'll be like "welp glad I kept masking up".

That said, I have the luxury of a remote job, so I don't have to worry about other people breathing on me all day.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 8, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My boss had a light case of COVID early in 2020, masked up the whole time, is fully vaxed, but caught Omega 3 weeks ago after attending a retirement party.

He said it was absolutely miserable, way worse than his first bout.

I'll keep my mask for a bit longer thanks.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It's fine to get worked up about the mask mandate ending, but the truth is that the mandate wasn't really being enforced in most places and if someone didn't want to wear a mask, they weren't anyway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My grandmother has cancer. I have called maskless people selfish toddlers who don’t care if they kill her to their face. They never learn. I hate humanity.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
personally my favorite is handing pizzas to people through the window of their car who don't have masks on. occasionally some employee will not have theirs on and some dipshit city slicker loses their minds and it's like. look, not only are you not wearing one either, but we're in closer contact now because you're too lazy to get out of your car. god forbid you do what you're technically supposed to do and just leave it outside on the curb for them to get, that'll get someone screaming in the lobby for minutes.

the reverse of this is people insisting i don't need to wear one who don't take whatever deflection or excuse i have as an answer and keep lecturing me on it. the county never rescinded the mask order for businesses, I don't care that you don't care, dipshit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the summary is i wish people would shut the gently caress up about masks forever, ive endured the same conversations 10000 times in real life and online and nobody will ever convince anyone else at this point. it's like arguing with your friends about whether vanilla or chocolate is better. the conversation never ends and is only fun the first time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Take off my mask? Heh, okay, how else am I protecting myself from 5G waves dude? :byodood:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Larry Parrish posted:

it's like arguing with your friends about whether vanilla or chocolate is better. the conversation never ends and is only fun the first time.

Similarly, in both conversations, the right answer is obvious.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gonna go out on a limb and guess that SCC will refuse to lift the mask mandate along with the state and the resulting river of salt that will flow out around here will be glorious.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

On a zoom call today with a bunch of maniacs who are all ecstatic about the 85 degree weather this week likes its some kind of godsend.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hate that poo poo. One of my friends posted back in September all sad that summer was over because there was drizzle on their car windows that morning. I was like mfer you were here LAST September when we set the all-time record for SLO at 114, right? You KNOW we always get our rear end kicked one last time in September or October!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My parents are currently buried under a foot of snow and were giving me poo poo about how it's going to be sunny and 70-80 here all week. I tried to point out to them that a) this is supposed to be our rainy season and the drought is going to get very bad as the year drags on, and b) 80 degrees in Feb means we can absolutely look forward to sustained periods of 100+ during the actual summer. They were unmoved which hey I get it, shoveling snow sucks, but still.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Sydin posted:

My parents are currently buried under a foot of snow and were giving me poo poo about how it's going to be sunny and 70-80 here all week. I tried to point out to them that a) this is supposed to be our rainy season and the drought is going to get very bad as the year drags on, and b) 80 degrees in Feb means we can absolutely look forward to sustained periods of 100+ during the actual summer. They were unmoved which hey I get it, shoveling snow sucks, but still.

I've been saying for a while that if you want to live in Bay Area now you need to accept that in 20 years it's going to look like Arizona. My guess is that agriculture in the Central Valley has about 5-10 years left.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My choice of xeriscaping my front yard in Roseville (Sac) 5 years ago with fruitless (mostly) olive trees, lavender, sage, rosemary, manzanita, agave, grasses, etc has paid off. It is way more maintenance than you'd think though but once established doesn't need much water in the summer.

Avoid Caribbean agave, it grows very fast and at year 7 throws up the stalk and throws off a million pups. Stick with the slow growing Blue agave. Grasses like the blue fescue look great half of the year but really really hate the scorching summer and turn brown and shrivel up. Don't bother with them unless they are in the shade.

I wish the arizona style small brown pebbles were available instead of the choices we get here in in mostly black/white/grey - and the decomposed granite stuff that does come in desert brown is great for around 3 years but then needs lots of maintenance to keep weeds controlled.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 8, 2022

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Keyser_Soze posted:

My choice of xeriscaping my front yard in Roseville (Sac) 5 years ago with fruitless (mostly) olive trees, lavender, sage, rosemary, manzanita, agave, grasses, etc has paid off. It is way more maintenance than you'd think though but once established doesn't need much water in the summer.

Avoid Caribbean agave, it grows very fast and at year 7 throws up the stalk and throws off a million pups. Stick with the slow growing Blue agave. Grasses like the blue fescue look great half of the year but really really hate the scorching summer and turn brown and shrivel up. Don't bother with them unless they are in the shade.

I wish the arizona style small brown pebbles were available instead of the choices we get here in in mostly black/white/grey - and the decomposed granite stuff that does come in desert brown is great for around 3 years but then needs lots of maintenance to keep weeds controlled.

I have a bunch of rosemary lining my back yard. I really like it. Looks good, smells good and is home to a bunch of animals. Bunnies, quail and the occasional bobcat. Getting rid of the grass is the project for this year.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
My project is to learn how to meditate so that I can accept not having a yard and paying 3000 for the privilege

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

confused posted:

I've been saying for a while that if you want to live in Bay Area now you need to accept that in 20 years it's going to look like Arizona. My guess is that agriculture in the Central Valley has about 5-10 years left.

Lmao, that's not how anything works. Climate change isn't going to make the ocean go away. We have a model for what a hotter, be drier Mediterranean climate looks like, it looks like Southern California or parts of Spain or southwestern Australia. All of those places also have agriculture, and Central Valley ag is much more threatened by increasing land prices as Bay Area transplants convert acres of farmland into residential plots that yield higher tax revenue.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Keyser_Soze posted:

The California native sages are pretty awesome and mostly unkillable.