Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Maroon Hawk posted:

What the gently caress show is in tech/rehearsal for 13 months??? loving Frozen didn’t take half that long and that included building the set from scratch!

Well yes, that's just Disney and not real theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Still thinking about this. This woman is a loving monster. But beyond that, this thread is chock full of emotionally stunted men who struggle to show even the slightest amount of affection. Here is a man both privately and publicly processing his grief, while also maintaining new bonds with family, and his wife just cannot loving handle it. The absolute balls on her to read his loving journal and then demand he do the same for his living loving children is just beyond the pale. I cannot imagine how this marriage recovers from this at all, but at least the kids certainly have 1 good parent.

Society has absolutely done a number on us regarding gender roles.

Well, it is what it is and I'm sure she's sorry you feel that way.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I couldn't get over the Care and Feeding from yesterday, the bolded part at the end. The response just ignores the red pill in the room.

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

Our son “Mark” is a junior in high school, which is about the time we started kicking the college search into gear with his older sister. We’d planned to do the same with him. But he’s not interested. He wants to attend a coding certificate course or “bootcamp” instead. On the one hand, I understand: My brother makes a good living as an electrician without having gone to college, and Mark is a B/C student with interests and abilities outside of school that are meaningful to him, so maybe traditional college wouldn’t be right for him. And we’d be able to help him with only half of his college costs, so he’d probably have some debt after he graduated. On the other hand, it’s not clear what kind of long-term career prospects a bootcamp could offer him in our area, where tech seems very competitive, and a lot of tech companies have been busted for scam behavior.

I’m also concerned that his wanting to pursue this path might be the result of nothing more than his determination to be different from his full-scholarship sister, and that a lot of what he says about college boils down to “it’s a debt scam” and “it’s set up to give women advantages over men.” Such ideas all seem to come from the internet, and I’m worried that he hasn’t thought any of this through and that his plan won’t work when it comes to the real job market. Do I push him toward community college? Drag him to a state school he insists is designed to land him in debt? Somehow vet a coding bootcamp?

—Coding or College?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I couldn't get over the Care and Feeding from yesterday, the bolded part at the end. The response just ignores the red pill in the room.

Ma’am have you considered that the right thing to do might be to let him take his own path? The world needs ditch diggers after all.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

coronatae posted:

Dear Prudence

Place your bets now!

This is absolutely a Lord of the Rings piss-take.

fake edit: I knew it!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I assumed it was a Nazi ring, I didn't think of LotR but lol at "uncle 'Bill'"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

What the gently caress show is in tech/rehearsal for 13 months??? loving Frozen didn’t take half that long and that included building the set from scratch!
They're doing a two-man revival of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I assumed it was a Nazi ring, I didn't think of LotR but lol at "uncle 'Bill'"

"Greg" the Grey.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Not /r/relationships but pure 100% :allears:

/r/NoStupidQuestions

What are Florida ounces?

quote:

I didn't think much of this when I lived in Florida. Many products were labeled in Florida ounces. But now that I live in another state I'm surprised to see products still labeled with Florida ounces.

I looked up 'Florida ounces' but couldn't find much information about them. Google doesn't know how to convert them to regular ounces.

quote:

toofarbyfar

"Fl oz" stands for "fluid ounces," not Florida.

snapwillow OP

Oh gently caress

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kuros posted:

/r/NoStupidQuestions

What are Florida ounces?

We've all been there. Well, not THERE-there, but in slightly smarter versions of there.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Kuros posted:

What are Florida ounces?

I looked up 'Florida ounces' but couldn't find much information about them. Google doesn't know how to convert them to regular ounces.
Google does know what florida ounces are, because google does the exact same nonsensical fuzzy search thing in reverse. You search "florida ounces" and it recognizes that florida is abbreviated fl and so also does a search for "fl ounces."

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For telling my boyfriend to take back the car he surprised me with?

There's a update on this one and it's...yikes.

quote:

UPDATE:

Well, first off I just want to say how much i appreciate every single one of you that gave some input on this crazy situation.

Last night I talked to him. Physically i’m okay but mentally i’m not. I told him how much his words hurt me. He got very upset, i’ve never been one to take any bullshit from any man. So he started calling me names, belittling me and his body language acted like he wanted to hit me. I got up, looked at him in the eye and didn’t say a word.

I got a few of my things, put it in my OLD car, and since the new car is in my name I took off the license plate and left the car. I texted him later and told him to plan on meeting me at the DMV this week to sign it back over. I went to my friends house after it all went down. He started texting me all kinds of things saying he knew where I was because he put a tracker on my old car a few years ago.

This whole situation blind sided me and I will be going to the police if this psycho behavior from him continues. I can’t believe I was with this dude for almost 5 years and nothing like this has ever happened before. I’m shocked and heartbroken.. we were supposed to get married…..

Please continue to keep me in your thoughts, it’s gonna be so hard healing over this. Again thank you so much to everyone that has reached out, I appreciate it more than anything and i’ve never felt so loved ❤️

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Kuros posted:

/r/NoStupidQuestions

What are Florida ounces?

Oh. I just thought people were talking about Flo Rida’s ounces.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bruceski posted:

We've all been there. Well, not THERE-there, but in slightly smarter versions of there.

I thought New England was a state until like, early high school

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for insisting that my boyfriend pay me for breaking my $3,500 model ship?

You missed the absolute glory that is the comments.

Multiple people posted:

What shall we do with a drunken boyfriend /
What shall we do with a bully boyfriend /
What shall we do with a loser boyfriend /

When he breaks an heirloom?

Dump him.
--
Make him pay you back and gently caress himself /
Make him pack his stuff and gently caress himself /
Make him walk the plank and gently caress himself /

When he breaks an heirloom!
--
Kick him to the curb and file small claims court

Early in the morning.
--
Change the locks and block his number

Early in the morning!
--
Shave his balls with a rusty razor

Early in the morning!
--
He better hope he has a tetanus shot

Early in the morning!
--
Peg him in the butt with a sandy dildo
peg him in the butt with a sandy dildo
peg him in the butt with a sandy dildo

Ear-lie in the mornin’
--
Don't forget to file a protective order
Don't forget to file a restraining order
Take him to the court where he'll come to order

Since he might harass you

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Biplane posted:

This is the most insane and perverted thing to ever come up in any iteration of this thread.

You're welcome

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for quietly leaving my boyfriends family Christmas when his mom was trying to set him up with the nextdoor neighbor in front of me.

quote:

I visited my boyfriends family for the first time and it was so awkward. I was literally just sitting there at dinner and his mom starts talking about how the neighbor girl is single, and pretty, and a good Christian (ick) and she was going to invite her to new years.

I was sitting there like.... WTF. It felt like she was trying to "put me in my place" or something and despite my boyfriend declining he was being very unassertive about it when I would have been saying "WHAT THE ABSOLUTE gently caress ARE YOU SAYING MOM" in his shoes.

So I got up, got my casserole, cake, pie, and wine from the kitchen, and headed out. Drove home to my place. And texted my boyfriend "Not here for this reality dating show drama lol. Is your mom always like this?"

He asked me where I was and I said I'd headed out, I'm not into the trashy reality TV drama vibe. He asked where and I said I was at home.

He said he didn't want me to spend Christmas alone and I said "Come on by then!" And he felt conflicted because his family was already tense after they realized I'd left with my cooking and the dessert

I said, come by or don't, just tell me when you figure it out.

But then I ate a bunch of casserole and cake, drank a lotta wine, and feel asleep.

My boyfriend was texting and calling a lot when I was asleep but I missed it all. He had apparently decided to leave the party and spend the night with me but when I didn't answer he ended up staying.

The next day I asked him if he sorted things out with his mom so she doesn't go saying that poo poo anymore. He said he'd said he wasn't interested when it was happening. I asked if he could have a serious talk after the fact because I was there when it was happening and I don't think she got it.

He wasn't sure (???) So I just made other plans for new years because even though he'd invited me to his I wanted a good time and not to be dealing with pettiness.

My boyfriend was frustrated I dipped on new years too, and it's been an ongoing argument. I think he should have chewed out his mom on Christmas for being petty and weird. He thinks I shouldn't have ghosted with my food especially because I'd brought a few big parts of the Christmas dinner

AITA for dipping on Christmas dinner?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
da_share_zone_just_leave.png

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for quietly leaving my boyfriends family Christmas when his mom was trying to set him up with the nextdoor neighbor in front of me.

It's kind of weird to be eager to have your boyfriend dip out of the party to join you and then just plain drink and fall asleep and fail to see that he actually wanted to do that. Also it seems like this relationship is over, just dump this guy instead of trying to desperately hope that he'll find the courage to confront his parents.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I gave my partner three vibrators – now she is addicted to them and I feel redundant

quote:

A few years ago I gave my girlfriend her first sex toy, a small metal vibrator she could wear on a necklace, and then later, a more powerful, waterproof version she could use in the shower. For Christmas, I gave her a third sex toy: an even more powerful model. While our sex life is great, she now struggles to climax just with me, and has become addicted to the quick powerful orgasms the machines give her. I liked our old, slower, sex life, but now I feel I’m in a dystopian climax contest with a hyper-sexualised vacuum cleaner. I’m all for democratising the orgasm, but am I even needed in the bedroom any more?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mx. posted:

I gave my partner three vibrators – now she is addicted to them and I feel redundant

r/r: dystopian climax contest with a hyper-sexualised vacuum cleaner

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I was told that making love to a woman was like working in a factory. Do your best, but eventually you will be replaced by a machine or a foreigner.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

the solution is an even more powerful vibrator, get one of those riding vibes with the saddle an poo poo

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Mx. posted:

How much you wanna bet she wasn't actually having orgasms when it was "just" him?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for saying my dad doesn’t need to apologize for almost ruining our wedding?

which I get is pretty messed up, but my moms very reserved in public

wait, so your DEFENSE of your dad is "He did it in public because he thought she wouldn't make a scene"? That's weird!

Mom isn't great either, making a fuss at a wedding, but that's just a drat weird line!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's kind of weird to be eager to have your boyfriend dip out of the party to join you and then just plain drink and fall asleep and fail to see that he actually wanted to do that. Also it seems like this relationship is over, just dump this guy instead of trying to desperately hope that he'll find the courage to confront his parents.
There’s some missing context in there. Gossiping about the neighbors makes a pretty good chunk of family conversations and to go from that to “she’s trying to set up my boyfriend with the neighbor” based on what she posted seems like a huge leap.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For telling my son that if he doesn't want to work, he doesn't get the benefits of my labor

quote:

My son (21M) dropped out of college at the end of this last semester in December. His grades had been failing for almost a year and a half, so it was pretty much either drop out or get kicked out. My wife and I had paid for his first 2 years completely and given him extra spending money each month so that he could concentrate on school instead of having to work. We also made him sign up with the school counselor and got him a therapist about 18-months ago because we were worried his mental health could be a contributing factor.

We later found out that he had been skipping counseling and therapy sessions and skipping a lot of classes. We had a conversation about it with him and he went on a rant about how he doesn't want to spend 40-50 years of his life toiling away at some job he doesn't like in order to make some boss more money. He said that work is just a social construct designed to keep the masses down and that humans aren't designed to sit in a cubicle for 40-hours a week and then die.

When my son told my wife and I that he dropped out, my wife immediately allowed him to come back home. That was about 3 months ago. Since then all he does is sit on his computer. He's maybe left the house a dozen times. He refuses to get a job and tells us that his plan is to live the "van life."

I've worked a union blue-collar job for years to support my family and I'll be damned if I'm going to let my son crap all over my hard work. A couple weeks ago I got home from work exhausted and he made a remark about me "breaking my back for the man." I told him that my job gave him the opportunity to go to college and he chose to squander it. It turned into a fight where I let out a lot of frustration on him.

I told him he either gets a job, or he no longer gets to take advantage of my hard work since he seems to think so little of it. I told him I would remove him from our family phone plan, cancel our internet, no longer let him eat our food, and give him a tent so that he can sleep in the backyard.

He yelled at me that I am being an rear end in a top hat and that those are basic human necessities and I can't deprive him of those. I told him that if he needs those things, then he can f*^%ing work for them like the rest of us or go find a van and get out.

He hasn't spoken to me since. But my wife says I was too hard on him and that this transition has obviously been difficult for him. I told her I am tired of coddling him and I will not allow him to blatantly disrespect me in my own house while also taking advantage of all the things I have worked hard to give him.

Now my wife is upset with me too because she thinks I am being unreasonable to expect our son to at least do something with his life to contribute if he's going to stay with us. At this point, I don't care if he lives in the backyard and makes a little garden back there to grow his own food. At least that would show some initiative on his part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFwe86NtN3k

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If he didn't reply in the affirmative in the time it took her to eat some casserole and cake, and drink enough to fall asleep, that's kind of on him.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Dik Hz posted:

There’s some missing context in there. Gossiping about the neighbors makes a pretty good chunk of family conversations and to go from that to “she’s trying to set up my boyfriend with the neighbor” based on what she posted seems like a huge leap.

According to the comments mom did invite neighbor girl for NYE and tried to matchmake again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA For telling my son that if he doesn't want to work, he doesn't get the benefits of my labor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFwe86NtN3k

Tell me your son is a r/antiwork mod without telling me your son is a r/antiwork mod.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for saying my dad doesn’t need to apologize for almost ruining our wedding?

How long has the dad been married to the mom? And he waited until his son's WEDDING to declare his intention to divorce this woman? Dad's a selfish piece of poo poo. OP's wife has every right to be pissed that the parents of the groom decided to end their marriage right at the beginning of hers. The mom might be a terrible partner but she got blindsided and understandably went to her parents for support.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for sitting back and doing nothing when mom told my wife that she'd take us to court for grandparents right?

quote:

This situation is a bit of a mess. I'll just mention the relevent conflict at hand.

So My wife Liz and I have been married for 7 years. we have preschool age kids, and because we currently live in the same city as my parents. Mom would take the kids while my wife and I work.

Liz is the one with a much larger income, she got an even better job opportunity that is requiring us to move to another city. I agreed since I could easily find a job in my field in the city we're moving to. but after my family heard we were selling the house to move, hell broke loose.

Sunday, mom and Liz got into a huge fight because Liz told mom we'll move away and hire a babysitter for the kids so she's no longer "needed". mom said she doesn't want her grandkids moving away, even said we should let the kids live at her house while we move. Liz laughed at her and mom lost it basically saying that Liz was an ungrateful witch and that her grandkids moving will only happen over her dead body. they began exchanging harsher words and Liz snapped and told mom to butt out of private matters that don't concern her. and said that she had no right to decide things regarding the kids. Mom firmly told her she was dead wrong and proceeded to tell her that she, as an involved grandmother, knows her rights and she will be taking Liz and me to court to ensure she still gets to see her grankids. Liz was in shock, she looked to the left and saw me sitting there not saying or doing anything. She told me to check my mom but I told her she was being unfair to mom and that mom had to feel upset because she will no longer be able to see her grandchildren - I honestly told Liz that she was a bit selfish to not consider my mom's feelings and her crucial presence in the kids life first. Liz started arguing with me saying she couldn't believe I didn't stand behind her and defend her after hearing mom saying she'd get the court involved. I said mom was upset and can not be blamed for her reaction. Liz started yelling at me calling me unsupportive and an enabler then went home with the kids, insisting my family is MY problem and I should handle it although this whole moving thing was her idea.

Situation hasn't been resolved and Liz and mom are getting more intense in their fights. I choose to stay out of it because both have valid arguments but Liz has called me awful for not siding with her after seeing how mom spoke to her and being okay with the fact that mom was willing to cause us issues in court.

AITA? I get that Liz wants my support but I feel like mom has been punished through no fault of her own after being a loving grandmother to my kids.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

ad090 posted:

AITA for sitting back and doing nothing when mom told my wife that she'd take us to court for grandparents right?

Dude, she's not my mom, don't call her just "mom" like we're siblings.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
divorcing is the opposite of proposing, so if proposing at a wedding is bad then divorcing at a wedding must be good. QED

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

ad090 posted:

that guy is such a loving rear end in a top hat

OP posted:

They're both adults and I don't always have to pick a side and get involved in arguments that I didn't even start.

like his mum is literally threatening to try to take custody of his kids in family court because they're moving away...

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

the holy poopacy posted:

divorcing is the opposite of proposing, so if proposing at a wedding is bad then divorcing at a wedding must be good. QED

Maybe life would work a bit better if the only way someone could get married was if they brought a couple who gets divorced the same day

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ad090 posted:

quote:

I feel like mom has been punished through no fault of her own

dude gently caress you. your mom is trying to steal your children from you for christ's sake

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At strongest Grandparent's rights extend to the right to visit and have contact with the grandkids, which they have to facilitate themselves. Grandma is making a dumb empty threat anyway.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA I fed my son curry rice

quote:

My wife and I have been married for 5 years. We have a 3 year old son.

Yesterday, my wife had to go to meet her mom immediately because her mom had fallen from the stairs and was admitted in the ER.

My wife called a babysitter but our usual babysitter was busy so she couldn't come. I told my wife I had a day off from work and I'd take a sick leave as well so I didn't have a problem taking care of our son but my wife said that I wouldn't possibly be able to take care of my son all by myself. She has a history of not trusting me with our son ever since he was born. She thinks I can't possibly take care of a child on my own because I'm a man. Her father didn't know to take care of her and her siblings so she thinks even I'll not be able to take care of our son properly. That's why she even became a SAHM after our son was born.

So she prepared some food for our son and told me to not feed him anything else apart from what she had prepared because she doesn't trust me not to burn down the kitchen. I'm actually a very good cook so I was pretty offended but agreed to do what she said because she was already stressed.

At around lunchtime, when I tried feeding my son the porridge, he spat it out and wasn't eating it. So I tasted the porridge myself and found that it had too much salt in it.

My wife hadn't prepared anything else apart from porridge so I fed him the curry rice I had prepared for myself. I mashed the rice well and added just the curry without any beans to prevent choking. He ate it without complaint. For dinner I fed him rice with curd.

When my wife called me this morning, she asked me if everything was fine. I told her that the porridge she prepared had too much salt in it so I fed our son curry rice and curd rice. She blew up saying that I must've lost my mind to have fed our son despite her repeatedly telling me not to cook for him. I got mad at her and asked her what I was supposed to do if our soon didn't want to eat the porridge. I couldn't have let him starve all day obviously so I fed him what was there at home. She said that I'm very irresponsible and that she should've just taken our son with her to meet her mom.

She cut the call abruptly on my face and had been ignoring me since then. She texted me a while ago saying that her friend would come to take our son and that her friend would be babysitting our son until she comes home. I told her immediately that she's delusional if she thinks I will let a stranger take my son. She said I'm being a jerk to her when she's already stressed about her mom.

AITA?

quote:

I am not aware of his medical history and my wife refused to let me accompany her on his doctor visits. I once tried to talk too the pediatrician behind her back and she just switched doctors after that. She didn't tell me who the new doctor was either. She locked up all my son's medical reports in her locker

quote:

My son is about 3' 3" tall and roughly around 13 kgs in weight. My wife usually does everything for him like dressing etc. However, yesterday, he buttoned up his shirt himself without needing me to do I think it's just my wife babying him.

He also doesn't talk much but my wife said that some kids don't start talking a lot until preschool so I didn't push the topic anymore.

My wife gives him some pills everyday. The bottles are however unnamed so I have no way to know what they actually are. She told me they're just nutrition supplements because he's a little underweight.

He tries to eat by himself if given a spoon but my wife usually is too impatient to let him eat at his own pace so she feeds him herself.

what the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mx. posted:

R/Relationships: I’m all for democratising the orgasm