Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vigilantes is extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

Vigilantes is extremely good

That series really needs an anime honestly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't care about romance in vigilantes and i also wasn't reading it for epic powerup fights against a giant flaming skeleton but whatever

it'll be over soon and i enjoyed most of it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

VIGILANTES SPOILERS, WARE BELOW

the current thread where the ghosts of knuckleduster and pop are giving running commentary to the fight because there's no other way to have dialogue is really kind of straining it for me, especially on top of how much dialogue we've had from a weird mind ghost of AfO

entirely too much real estate in mha is taken up by mind ghosts

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My fear is it won't ever get animated because the opening chapters are just extremely horny in a way MHA generally is not

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

My fear is it won't ever get animated because the opening chapters are just extremely horny in a way MHA generally is not

Yeah, it dials things back considerably later but the early chapters are pretty rough (and in some cases extremely uncomfortable) I’ll admit

Speaking of, it’s still weird to me that a gang of characters that were basically planning to rape the female lead of the series in their first appearance are quickly forgiven and become allies soon afterwards

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 8, 2022

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DoubleDonut posted:

Iruma has done a much better job of doing all the things I wanted MHA to do, imo
A Certain Scientific Railgun too in terms of a similar sort of setting

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

You should finish Punpun.

i was in a legitimately terrible place when i was reading it and it was getting to the point where i couldnt help but notice that it was not helping me at all

it's really good though, so i'll definitely pick it up again.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it dials things back considerably later but the early chapters are pretty rough (and in some cases extremely uncomfortable) I’ll admit

Speaking of, it’s still weird to me that a gang of characters that were basically planning to rape the female lead of the series in their first appearance are quickly forgiven and become allies soon afterwards

jojo does this every season and no one cares

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i forgot that even happened, i am the audience

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Strange Quark posted:

jojo does this every season and no one cares
I've watched every adapted season and I don't remember this happening in any of them, aside from a vague half-memory of Kakyoin's introduction in Stardust Crusaders.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking more generally, I mean things like the literal nazi kidnapping speed wagon and then turning out to be our big hero 10 eps later

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can easily smooth over that stuff in an adaptation anyways if you wanted. Or just leave it the same, who cares.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The extremely epic nazi

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Strange Quark posted:

Speaking more generally, I mean things like the literal nazi kidnapping speed wagon and then turning out to be our big hero 10 eps later
Stroheim is more of a third party than an ally, IMO, but I see what you mean. I don't think the franchise is particularly extreme in that regard, though; villain-to-hero is hardly an uncommon trope, and in most parts it's hard to find villains-turned-party-members who do anything particularly heinous beyond attempting to kill the lead. Stroheim is an outlier in that regard.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Annasui committed first degree murder, Hazamada is a would be rapist, and Fugo is a huge bitch.

Tamami Kobayashi is probably the closest someone skirts while still being a criminal and being an ally to the main group.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forget what happens with koichis stalker but I don't think she ever does anything close to apologizing

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She ends up in a relationship with him because Koichi is a bad character

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Captain Baal posted:

She ends up in a relationship with him because Koichi is a bad character

no dignity...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Being stalked is cool and jojos knows this.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Being stalked is cool and jojos knows this.

Guy who thinks he's being gangstalked but is kind of into it

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Captain Baal posted:

Annasui committed first degree murder, Hazamada is a would be rapist, and Fugo is a huge bitch.

Tamami Kobayashi is probably the closest someone skirts while still being a criminal and being an ally to the main group.
Annasui is admittedly pretty hosed up. I forgot Hazamada even existed, to be honest; after looking at the wiki, he appears to come back as an ally for all of two episodes. Fugo goes from an ally to an enemy a neutral party written out of the show, which is the opposite of a sicko turning into a hero. Tamami's scam is pretty nasty, but he ultimately just bilks people out of money. All in all, I still think JoJo's redemption arcs are pretty normal

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FF killed 5 people

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
redemption arcs are hot but jojo's are all pretty unearned with how slapdash they're put together

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Irony Be My Shield posted:

FF killed 5 people
ff is also a sentient colony of plankton

Strange Quark posted:

redemption arcs are hot but jojo's are all pretty unearned with how slapdash they're put together
Calling them "arcs" was probably an overstatement on my part. Redemption tends to be a two-step plan: (1) JoJo and company beat the antagonist up; (2) they stop being evil. (Plan may not be available to all antagonists. Contact the Speedwagon Foundation for details.) I think the only real redemption arc is Iggy gradually overcoming his cowardice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jojo doesn't do redemption arcs. Either it's mindcontrol or just "don't worry about the intro this guy is cool".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

FF killed 5 people

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FF killed 5 people

Yes, but she is my favorite Jojo friend and also pondscum that gained sentience in a Florida prison. She doesn't know right from wrong yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

A Certain Scientific Railgun too in terms of a similar sort of setting
I have read beyond the bit with the doll assassin(iirc?) fighting some other assassin in a mall like six times, and every single time I stop at some point a dozen or two chapters beyond that, utterly forgetting everything that happened past that fight

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’m looking forward to the next season of railgun in *checks calendar* 2028?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I have read beyond the bit with the doll assassin(iirc?) fighting some other assassin in a mall like six times, and every single time I stop at some point a dozen or two chapters beyond that, utterly forgetting everything that happened past that fight

Right after that is a like 40 chapter long arc which probably explains some of the issue because there’s some good stuff there but it also takes a while

The arc after that is back to the cliques and early misaka so I’m hype

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm reading yotsuba for the first time. It's mostly just light hearted and sweet, but sometimes, it's very very funny.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/simsnotebook/status/1489631962696491008

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gay for gacha posted:

I'm reading yotsuba for the first time. It's mostly just light hearted and sweet, but sometimes, it's very very funny.

While reading it, you should listen to the two OSTs that got produced by Kuricorder Quartet, who also did the theme for Pytagora Suichi.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gay for gacha posted:

I only own physical copies of three manga: Yotsuba, Punpun, and the anniversary collection of Akira.
Yotsuba is my healing read.

marumaru posted:

i was in a legitimately terrible place when i was reading it and it was getting to the point where i couldnt help but notice that it was not helping me at all

it's really good though, so i'll definitely pick it up again.

Punpun is my depression read. But yeah. I hear ya. There are definitely times I’ve had to put it down for the sake of my own mental health.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

The extremely epic nazi
I don't think Stroheim ever does anything that actually helps. Maybe distracting Kars briefly in the last fight?

Strange Quark posted:

I forget what happens with koichis stalker

He's the author's SI, so he gets his own spinoff series.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've been watching the Gundam 0079 movies with the old "Gun-drat" dub and it honestly grew on me

They pronounce it right a lot more often later on, surprisingly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stroheim nobly steps up to help kill Santana, for starters

then there's also Mark the nazi with a gf that Caesar cries over

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Stroheim also got an epilogue/eulogy along the lines of "And then he went on to die honourably at Stalingrad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he also says 'german science is the greatest in the world' and by all reasonable evidence we are given hes completely correct