Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

is "from X traditional lands" a new thing now?

The US must intervene to protect traditional Ukrainian lands

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Nichael posted:

If you are a land owner, it's probably easier to just note that it's so-and-so's traditional land than to point out that it's someone's unceeded land that you could give back but won't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US must intervene to protect traditional Ukrainian lands

You don't want RUSSIA to be saying "We're currently on indigenous Ukrainian lands" now, do you?!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pepperoneedy posted:

it is, at least the land acknowledgement is, so much so i've heard federal government employees in DC give them

Is it meant as a dab on the Native Americans they took the land from?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

is this the virginia model?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phone posted:

is this the virginia model?

look they worked really hard and that means you have to listen to whatever they tell you okay?!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
What's gonna happen when kids have no immune systems by 16

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lool my mom would react less strongly to me calling her a bitch to her face compared to "bless your heart"

your mom's peach cobbler sux

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Andorra posted:

idk I've lived in the South my entire life and I've not once heard anyone say "Bless their heart" with the clear intent of insulting someone politely. This whole thing is internet people from outside the south misusing phrases, I say, and I will not stand for this shameful display of cultural appropriation :bahgawd:

get out of here yankee, carpetbagger scum

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Palladium posted:

What's gonna happen when kids have no immune systems by 16

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1361893895156678660?s=20&t=LEODbQ8RIr9rDIBZ5cgpnA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

2nd book introduced a philosophical concept i never even considered before and really scared me with its implications. So ya, really liked the 2nd one, but the girlfriend stuff was really strange and i dont know why its in the story

Oh yeah, I do have to hand it to the second book on the Dark Forest Theory. I don't know if Liu Cixin invented that, but he seems to have scared the world with it enough that I've even seen scientists saying we should act as if it's true going forward.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah, I do have to hand it to the second book on the Dark Forest Theory. I don't know if Liu Cixin invented that, but he seems to have scared the world with it enough that I've even seen scientists saying we should act as if it's true going forward.

From the limited I've read they were if not the orginator of the idea, the first to widely push it

Edit: for as much worth that sci-fi idea credit is worth

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dreylad posted:

yeah i sold all my old cards this summer it's insane.

I should look around, because I'm pretty sure I have some old magic cards from the late 90s or very beginning of the 00's sitting around somewhere (I never played even remotely seriously, but some kids in school were doing it so I got a deck and a few booster packs IIRC)

Andorra posted:

idk I've lived in the South my entire life and I've not once heard anyone say "Bless their heart" with the clear intent of insulting someone politely. This whole thing is internet people from outside the south misusing phrases, I say, and I will not stand for this shameful display of cultural appropriation :bahgawd:

I can only see this happening if you've stuck to the more urban areas, but condescending use of "bless your/their heart" is extremely common among Christians. My dad's side of the family (Church of Christ) say it all the time with this sort of tone.

I agree with the poster who said that it's not really equivalent to "gently caress you," though. It's more a sort of "you're a child who doesn't understand what they're doing" sort of thing. Sometimes it's used in a more "honest" way, but when aimed at actual children or something.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

ram dass in hell posted:

The name DELAWARE was given to the people who lived along the Delaware River, and the river in turn was named after Lord de la Warr, the governor of the Jamestown colony. The name Delaware later came to be applied to almost all Lenape people. In our language, which belongs to the Algonquian language family, we call ourselves LENAPE (len-NAH-pay) which means something like “The People.” Our ancestors were among the first Indians to come in contact with the Europeans (Dutch, English, & Swedish) in the early 1600s. The Delaware were called the “Grandfather” tribe because we were respected by other tribes as peacemakers since we often served to settle disputes among rival tribes. We were also known for our fierceness and tenacity as warriors when we had to fight, however, we preferred to choose a path of peace with the Europeans and other tribes.

Many of the early treaties and land sales we signed with the Europeans were in our people’s minds more like leases. The early Delaware had no idea that land was something that could be sold. The land belonged to the Creator, and the Lenape people were only using it to shelter and feed their people. When the poor, bedraggled people got off their ships after the long voyage and needed a place to live we shared the land with them. They gave us a few token gifts for our people’s kindness, but in the mind of the Europeans these gifts were actually the purchase price for the land.

Did they try voting??

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phone posted:

your mom's peach cobbler sux

Peach cobbler is bush league, blackberry cobbler is a true warrior's dessert.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Majorian posted:

Peach cobbler is bush league, blackberry cobbler is a true warrior's dessert.

one thing i miss about living away from the gulf coast is the lack of availability of grocery store frozen blackberry cobblers

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Any good?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they're decent, it basically saves you the ingredient prep for the same oven time

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Gripweed posted:

land acknowledgements are basically the "i see you, i hear you" for people who were ethnically cleansed

the most absolutely patronizing poo poo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Gripweed posted:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Smythe posted:

the north shoulda finished the job imo. no survivors.

Instead, they showed them mercy and allowed them to subvert them from within, like a beautiful parasite.

Bless their hearts.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Nichael posted:

it's more common if you live near a native peoples you would like to pander to

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

yes, im speaking to you today from the location that was traditionally your bed, and no, i will not be leaving. this is about awareness. solutions are complicated. its a complicated situation. i suggest you sleep outside until we figure this out in a few dozen generations

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

yellowcar posted:

land acknowledgements are basically the "i see you, i hear you" for people who were ethnically cleansed

the most absolutely patronizing poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5OlBT2OcGg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

this is very insulting and demeaning

to the bricks

if poo poo sucks, hit da dems

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, they are really betting on the fact there won’t be another serious variant, when they have been wrong about that twice in a row. If anything, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was at least another related variant of Omicron and/or another “sleeper” variant out there.

Even with the antibodies out there, so many different people have been infected that the chance of mutation is still very much there.

(The pandemic may eventually slow down, but early 2022 is too early to call it.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:26 on Feb 9, 2022

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_I8mZKFfto

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

it'd be cool if at some point during the pandemic anyone in a position of power would go "hey we think it's gonna get better soon but we're gonna plan for the worst just in case" so that when the worst does happen we're prepared for it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I got a feeling those folks aren’t gonna make it

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I really thought in the preview pic joe was holding a vanilla cone in his hand

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Joe Biden reassures Janice Soprano: "we're gonna get those records back from that russian tramp, honey."

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Srice posted:

it'd be cool if at some point during the pandemic anyone in a position of power would go "hey we think it's gonna get better soon but we're gonna plan for the worst just in case" so that when the worst does happen we're prepared for it

how does this relate to Number Go Up

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Srice posted:

Look at this Debbie Downer over here

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

black border or bust

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the LAST thing a kid wants to hear Joe Biden say is "Don't be scared, honey"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

how does this relate to Number Go Up

true, it'd be appalling if number would only go up a modest amount instead of going up a lot

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Srice posted:

covid is over! theres only one thing you should be spreading now: voting! get out there and spread spend spread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

the north shoulda finished the job imo. no survivors.

See, I don't get why goons give you poo poo -- that is an objectively correct take.