Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

What was the excuse for fleeing? Still asleep?

He claimed he tried pulling over right after the light (i uploaded another video that shows us both stopped at the light with me yelling at him to pull over, but he continued straight through the light. I was already in the phone with the police and they told me to pull into the gas station and wait for them). The cop didn't believe him. He is apparently on medication for anxiety so I'm thinking he just freaked out. At least he admitted fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One thing about injury attorneys is that they absolutely do not give a single solitary poo poo about your car or property damage, because there's no money in it for them. Like if they're going to make a mint off your injury case then they may step in as a courtesy but otherwise they don't wanna know about it.

My injury case is way into six figures and my attorney still didn't care about Progressive trying to screw me on my truck valuation.

One thing about your car valuation is that if you disagree with your insurance company there's probably a provision about getting it sent to outside appraisers (you pick one and they pick one) and if you win i.e. if they say it's worth even a cent more than the insurance company was trying to give you, then the insurance company has to pay for both appraisers. This is what happened with me and it worked out very much in my favor.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 8, 2022

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CornHolio posted:

He claimed he tried pulling over right after the light (i uploaded another video that shows us both stopped at the light with me yelling at him to pull over, but he continued straight through the light. I was already in the phone with the police and they told me to pull into the gas station and wait for them). The cop didn't believe him. He is apparently on medication for anxiety so I'm thinking he just freaked out. At least he admitted fault.

gently caress that guy he should eat the charge for fleeing the scene.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tyro posted:

I'm surprised it's even up to the guy who got hit. I thought that was something the state/city would issue based on evidence, not based on a victim's complaint.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

The Locator posted:

I'm surprised it's even up to the guy who got hit. I thought that was something the state/city would issue based on evidence, not based on a victim's complaint.

"Pressing charges" typically actually refers to being cooperative as a witness to a prosecution, the reason they're asking you is that if you're uncooperative they're gonna have a hard time convicting and thus won't bother.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tyro posted:

Yeah, and claiming he dozed off as an excuse. What a dickhead! I'd be slamming that 'press charges' button so fast - since as Nitrox said, it happens a lot and someone needs to actually be taught a lesson for legging it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
:lol: 75% of the comments on that video are click vultures begging to use it in their dashcam comps.

CornHolio posted:

He is apparently on medication for anxiety so I'm thinking he just freaked out.

If he's claiming that makes him irresponsible for his actions then he shouldn't have a license in the first place.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

One thing about injury attorneys is that they absolutely do not give a single solitary poo poo about your car or property damage, because there's no money in it for them. Like if they're going to make a mint off your injury case then they may step in as a courtesy but otherwise they don't wanna know about it.

My injury case is way into six figures and my attorney still didn't care about Progressive trying to screw me on my truck valuation.

One thing about your car valuation is that if you disagree with your insurance company there's probably a provision about getting it sent to outside appraisers (you pick one and they pick one) and if you win i.e. if they say it's worth even a cent more than the insurance company was trying to give you, then the insurance company has to pay for both appraisers. This is what happened with me and it worked out very much in my favor.

Depending on your state, this may even be the law.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

CornHolio posted:

My plan, assuming that's the case, is to buy it back from salvage. It's my winter beater and I've had it for 13 years. The heat works great, it's a 5-speed and I've got studded snow tires on it. My fear is that the impact caused other damage - the dash is now fully detached from the cowl and the ABS light is on.

I'd guess an ABS sensor might have had the cable yanked or broken, and yeah the dash mounts are a known weakness, I'm sure you know they're just plastic bosses on the back of the dash, screwed in from the engine bay below the windshield. You can reattach them to the dash with cleverly placed metal straps screwed in and/or really good epoxy. You should only have to remove the cap to see what's going on. They often break just due to age, I'm sure there's a dozen youtube how-tos if you've never been in the dash before.

And I bet if that bumper doesn't quite fit right you can just stack washers under the mounting plate until it does. As long as your rear doors still open and close okay the 'frame damage' is minor. Or you can spend a few bucks on a frame pull at a body shop to pop the bumper mounts back where they should be. Definitely fixable for a winter beater.

Keep 'em rolling!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

I'd guess an ABS sensor might have had the cable yanked or broken, and yeah the dash mounts are a known weakness, I'm sure you know they're just plastic bosses on the back of the dash, screwed in from the engine bay below the windshield. You can reattach them to the dash with cleverly placed metal straps screwed in and/or really good epoxy. You should only have to remove the cap to see what's going on. They often break just due to age, I'm sure there's a dozen youtube how-tos if you've never been in the dash before.

And I bet if that bumper doesn't quite fit right you can just stack washers under the mounting plate until it does. As long as your rear doors still open and close okay the 'frame damage' is minor. Or you can spend a few bucks on a frame pull at a body shop to pop the bumper mounts back where they should be. Definitely fixable for a winter beater.

Keep 'em rolling!

Both rear doors open and close fine, the trunk lid even opens and closes fine. I have the bumper kind of reattached but it feels flimsier than it should so I need to revisit it. I'll probably hit up the junkyard when the weather gets nicer and fit it a bit better then.

Takes No Damage posted:

:lol: 75% of the comments on that video are click vultures begging to use it in their dashcam comps.

If he's claiming that makes him irresponsible for his actions then he shouldn't have a license in the first place.

They can have it, I don't care. I like watching those so if mine is worth watching then others can get some enjoyment out of my yelling.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I had a vastly difference experience with mine.. The person who hit me had the same insurance company as me. My insurance company was trying to take the at fault person's deductible out of my payout (!!), even though the claim was not against my policy. And they seriously lowballed the payout offer. My attorney jumped all over them and got the payout more than doubled. I didn't have to handle or even talk to anyone in dealing with the accident and claims while I was laying in the hospital for a month. The attorney handled it all start to finish. Additionally they found the person at fault had an additional umbrella policy from another insurance company and managed to tap into that as part of my settlement. Their cut was 25% of my 6 figure settlement, but it was well worth it to me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

stevewm posted:

laying in the hospital for a month...additional umbrella policy

I would say those are the reasons they went above and beyond.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I would say those are the reasons they went above and beyond.

Yeah... Good thing too.. Their only had state minimum medical on their auto policy. (25k). The umbrella policy ended up covering the bulk of it.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 9, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The guy that hit me has more medical auto than the guy that hit you but no umbrella and I bet he wishes he had an umbrella even more than I wish he'd had an umbrella.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Corn: was that the fabled Volvo from your BFC thread all those years ago?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Corn: was that the fabled Volvo from your BFC thread all those years ago?

Sure is. Still going strong, though the wife wished I'd scrapped it about eight years ago.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Must be running on pure spite by now

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

Sure is. Still going strong, though the wife wished I'd scrapped it about eight years ago.

I should've realized when you said 13 years. That thing definitely was worth the money in the long run.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
One of forums history's greatest success stories :unsmith:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

I should've realized when you said 13 years. That thing definitely was worth the money in the long run.

Oh yeah, I paid $2500 in July of 09 for it. It's seen some work but I haven't exactly dumped a ton of money into it. I keep meticulous records and in that time I've put $5800 into it for repairs. In almost 13 years. Granted right now it could use a new timing belt (the one in there is due timewise but not mileagewise), new rear brakes (the rotors have some severe oxidation that makes them noisy and that's why the rear wheels are colored the way they are), front struts and who knows what else. But I drove it in to work this morning just fine. The accident split the exhaust somewhere and it's loud as gently caress now which is really annoying so I'm going to have to get that fixed.

I'll be honest, I'm a big fan of the Volvo 850. Maybe Volvo in general, though I don't know if I'd buy one made this millenium.

Takes No Damage posted:

One of forums history's greatest success stories :unsmith:

Yeah and I still have no debt other than a single car payment that's going to be paid off in April. It's amazing how a single post on the internet can so significantly alter the trajectory of somebody's life, but here we are.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 10, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Zaurg made many posts and nothing changed for him. It was in you the whole time :glomp:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nocheez posted:

Zaurg made many posts and nothing changed for him. It was in you the whole time :glomp:
He didn't get the dirvoce? :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I stopped caring after a few years of the carousel.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexYDhraLRI&t=183s

You've made it to the big show, Jake M!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

oh yessssssss that's the one channel I routinely watch for car crashes

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Neat run with some tight squeezes
I hope it’s an ambulance not a cop

https://youtu.be/lZ229_DuW_E

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Queued up to the thumbnail accident. Surprised it rolled, didn't think it looked like that hard of a hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexYDhraLRI&t=101s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

He didn't get the dirvoce? :(

He did but it didn't help that much.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Finally got my 622GW hardwired and installed today. Looking forward to posting my first vehicular idiocy video.

Living in the DC area, it will not be a long wait.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Road rage video

https://www.wral.com/road-rage-incident-caught-on-camera-in-greensboro/20133133/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sound on.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh man... I know this isn't really the place for it, but since I posted the dashcam footage here, it's the thread with the most knowledge of my accident. The other party's insurance company (which is the same as my insurance company) has offered me $600 to fully release them from all injury claims that I may have had. Now, to be clear, I feel fine, but I really don't like how absolute and final it is. Like, what if two months from now something happens and I realize I had some injury I didn't know about? They want me to sign it within a week. On the other hand... $600 and I feel fine.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Oh man... I know this isn't really the place for it, but since I posted the dashcam footage here, it's the thread with the most knowledge of my accident. The other party's insurance company (which is the same as my insurance company) has offered me $600 to fully release them from all injury claims that I may have had. Now, to be clear, I feel fine, but I really don't like how absolute and final it is. Like, what if two months from now something happens and I realize I had some injury I didn't know about? They want me to sign it within a week. On the other hand... $600 and I feel fine.
Stop talking to insurance company and people on the internet and get a lawyer

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

CornHolio posted:

Man, they must hate their other insured. A BI claim that paid out is incredibly bad on loss runs, even if it's only $600.

Do you have health insurance with a decent out of pocket?

$600 wouldn't be enough for me due to the reasons you mention, but there's been times where I absolutely would have taken that offer.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

Stop talking to insurance company and people on the internet and get a lawyer

That sounds expensive and I feel fine. I'm not sure why I would give a lawyer money when I don't feel very injured.

Bondematt posted:

Man, they must hate their other insured. A BI claim that paid out is incredibly bad on loss runs, even if it's only $600.

Do you have health insurance with a decent out of pocket?

$600 wouldn't be enough for me due to the reasons you mention, but there's been times where I absolutely would have taken that offer.

I do have health insurance, and my own insurance has a $10,000 medical coverage. So I'm pretty sure I'm covered. I know I could go get looked at free of charge, but at least so far it hasn't been worth my time because I feel fine. But is $600 enough to fully release them from all injury claims? I don't know. That's tough.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FYI, your posts on the internet saying you don't feel very injured will be used against you in court if you later claim to have been injured.

IMO you should see a doctor to get checked out, and then if you think there's a chance you'll want more than $600 ever, delete these posts, and see a lawyer. One of the things the lawyer can advise you on, is whether $600 is customary and usual, whether it's enough for you to release liability, and whether you have the option to negotiate for more.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lawyer: what are your damages?
Goon: I feel fine.
Judge: case dismissed.

I don’t think I’d immediately settle for $600 but I’m not sure I’d run out and get a lawyer right now either. You might want to check how your state does things but you’ve usually got two years for this sort of thing before statue of limitations expire so no real reason to rush. And your property damage is separate from any injury so it’s not like you have to settle both at the same time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't think our AI resident lawyer posts in here anymore :(

For me I would not take $600

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't settle for less than $800, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I wouldn't settle for less than $800, personally.

I didn't really mean I would not take $x, just I wouldn't be willing to be paid off vs my health, but if they start offering higher amounts they are desperate and you know it's a better idea to say no :P