Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My local dealer charges $35/wheel for a tire change and that's me bringing in just the wheels. They do it for free if I buy the tires there, which is good incentive and their prices are good.
But I have three dirt bikes that see regular changes between paddle tires and regular knobbies so I bought a changing stand and accessories up do it myself. I'm still getting drat sick of it and will probably just buy extra wheels soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just get a Yuasa. There are probably better batteries out there but there are also definitely worse, and there's a reason basically every manufacturer specifies Yuasa as OEM.

Agreed. Yuasa is good stuff.
I have a more than 10 year old UPS 7ah 12v backup battery from them in use for any job where i need mobile 12v, and although it probably has lost some capacity, it's aging incredibly gracefully, still able to handle decent peak currents from whatever mobile 12v thing i'm hooking up to it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds good, I'll just grab one of those wherever I can. Cheers!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Cycle Gear charges $25 to mount street tires if you buy from them or Revzilla, and take off the wheel to bring it in. $50 for tires bought elsewhere it looks like.

I was looking at the Diablo IIIs but couldn't find the rear tires in stock online, looks like they're still showing out.

edit: oh also it's per tire so $50 to install sounds pretty decent, especially if you don't have to wrestle the wheels off yourself!

This is good to know, cheers.

Toe Rag posted:

Those tires will probably square off even sooner FYI. $50 to drop off the bike and come back with new tires is well worth it. My Honda dealer charges mores than that if you bring in just wheels.

We looked at several different options that they could order. Several michelins were out of stock; i think my other options were the dunlop q3+, but i think they have a similar life to the rosso 3's and are more expensive. I'm ok with shorter life if it makes for a fun riding tire.

Finger Prince posted:

Get some pilot roads for your next set. They're ideal for when you have to be mindful of squaring off the middle, but you still want something that'll stick when leaned over.

Backordered until march wherever this shop chain is getting theirs (Ridenow - so a big chain outfit). I will keep them in mind for the following set though!

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 7, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I was looking at the Diablo IIIs but couldn't find the rear tires in stock online, looks like they're still showing out.

It might be getting low in stock, their diablo IV has been out for a while.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

We looked at several different options that they could order. Several michelins were out of stock; i think my other options were the dunlop q3+, but i think they have a similar life to the rosso 3's and are more expensive. I'm ok with shorter life if it makes for a fun riding tire.

:hellyeah:

Yeah I'm still deciding which tires to get. I was going to get Q3+ but they are indeed expensive. I'm surprised that Bridgestone RS10s are available in my size (110/70 & 150/60) and am kind of tempted to buy those, heh. Potentially overkill, but would be interesting to try a tire designed with track riding as an intended use.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy previously recommended Pirelli Night Dragons for my Fat Bob for the rainy roads of Scotland.

What can be recommended for my LiveWire?

Currently it has the following, which feel a bit slippery in the wet.

FRONT
120/70 ZR17 58W
H-D/Michelin Scorcher “Sport"

REAR
180/55 ZR17 73W

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Slavvy previously recommended Pirelli Night Dragons for my Fat Bob for the rainy roads of Scotland.

What can be recommended for my LiveWire?

Currently it has the following, which feel a bit slippery in the wet.

FRONT
120/70 ZR17 58W

REAR
180/55 ZR17 73W

Angel gt 2 with the heavy duty rear tyre option.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Pirelli Night Dragons

I couldn't tell if you were making a joke so I googled and holy lol that's a real tire name.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

I couldn't tell if you were making a joke so I googled and holy lol that's a real tire name.

Listen 12 year old me was very grateful for that contract work I got naming the entire Pirelli tyre range.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Angel gt 2 with the heavy duty rear tyre option.

Thank you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pirelli Imagine Dragons that plays Radioactive through a little piezo speaker glued to the inside when rolling like one of those cheesy birthday cards.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I've just been doing a bit of googling and making Amazon lists for bike parts. I have a hernia surgery scheduled, finally, for March 22nd. I think I've decided that I'm going to buy a decent-ish carb rebuild kit that includes o rings, but no other bits, no needles, floats etc. The kit is 75 dollars. Is this excessive or should I take a chance on a no name kit on Amazon with needles and jets?

I'm also going to order 4 spark plugs, and all new fuel hose.

Tentative plan is to remove the gastank and unmount the carbs. Then I'll bring them inside to fiddle with them as I'm recuperating from surgery since I won't be able to ride for a while anyway.

Is it worth it to buy a carb synching tool? I would assume so, especially after doing everything else and if so can anyone recommend a decent one?

Also forgot to add that I found a great write up on replacing fork seals so I'm gonna do that too, as well as replace the rubber bits on my front brakes and clean and rattle can them. Come April and May I should have the bike I thought it was the first time I rode it! The handful of times it was running on all cylinders, presumably, I had an absolute blast! 750 V4 engines in a standard/cruiser frame are an absolute RIOT! Especially when they're 39 years old!

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 9, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. Rebuilding those carbs is something you really only want to do once, for this reason I think finding a really comprehensive kit with all the little cotter pins and other v4-specific stuff is the way to go. $75 does not seem like enough for this but I don't live in America

2. Carbtune

3. Rattlecan on brake calipers is a good way to have calipers that look like vomit on poo poo within a year. Powdercoat or polish imo.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
When is the best point to buy new tires? Checked my rear tire and realized there really isn't that much meat left on it. Should I buy at beginning/end of season or is offseason better?
Also, guess I am in the market for new 80:20 wheels.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Good point, looks like a good cleaning and detailing is a better idea. Besides, looks are second to functionality to me anyway, it's an old bike with poo poo paint.

Not trying to be a nuisance, but this is the one I was looking at. The seller of this kit also offers a rebuild and refurb service, but it's rather pricy. Almost 300 American. But then again..all I would do is remove, send them off, then put them back on. I dunno. Thoughts?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

When is the best point to buy new tires? Checked my rear tire and realized there really isn't that much meat left on it. Should I buy at beginning/end of season or is offseason better?
Also, guess I am in the market for new 80:20 wheels.

If you buy from a small shop with an obscure dimension of a type of tire the is little sales of you may get an older tire. This should not be an issue if you buy from a bigger supplier, or if you choose a newish tire model.
Just check date code.
I order tires from https://www.motorsykkeldekk.com/ based in germany,(they seem to a web page for all european countrys, check the bottom bar) they actually have a "guaranteed fresh" option if really want this years tire. Though, oldest I've seen from them is 8-9 months old. I usually go through 3-4 tires a year.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Supradog posted:

If you buy from a small shop with an obscure dimension of a type of tire the is little sales of you may get an older tire. This should not be an issue if you buy from a bigger supplier, or if you choose a newish tire model.
Just check date code.
I order tires from https://www.motorsykkeldekk.com/ based in germany,(they seem to a web page for all european countrys, check the bottom bar) they actually have a "guaranteed fresh" option if really want this years tire. Though, oldest I've seen from them is 8-9 months old. I usually go through 3-4 tires a year.

Oh this is actually https://www.reifendirekt.at/ I think. I have bought car tires before from them, but I don't want to mount my own tires, I don't think anyone does bike tires sold through third parties around here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Good point, looks like a good cleaning and detailing is a better idea. Besides, looks are second to functionality to me anyway, it's an old bike with poo poo paint.

Not trying to be a nuisance, but this is the one I was looking at. The seller of this kit also offers a rebuild and refurb service, but it's rather pricy. Almost 300 American. But then again..all I would do is remove, send them off, then put them back on. I dunno. Thoughts?

Provided your floats, jets and other brass stuff are good, the only thing I'm seeing missing here is float needles/valves.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, I mount my own. I know they have a "certified partner" thing where you can get it shipped to a local shop for mounting, but I've never used it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SEKCobra posted:

Oh this is actually https://www.reifendirekt.at/ I think. I have bought car tires before from them, but I don't want to mount my own tires, I don't think anyone does bike tires sold through third parties around here.

Those guys have all sorts of websites in all manner of european countries and languages. They have warehouses all over too, not just in Germany. I recently bought tires from them and had them mounted/balanced at a local tire place (southern Stockholm). They were happy to do it but it was expensive, like €80 for both front and rear.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Invalido posted:

Those guys have all sorts of websites in all manner of european countries and languages. They have warehouses all over too, not just in Germany. I recently bought tires from them and had them mounted/balanced at a local tire place (southern Stockholm). They were happy to do it but it was expensive, like €80 for both front and rear.

There is a partner "near"by, I'll get a quote for the ContiTrailAttack 3 from them and some tyre places, then I'll see about what I can do.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gileadexile posted:

A decent V4 carb kit is going to be expensive. As someone who just recently rebuilt and synced a set of v4 carbs $300 is a good deal if it is good work with good parts, especially if it includes a sync (probably not). Replacing all the various bits in the carbs themselves is easy, but you also have to split the carb rack to replace the between carb o-rings. If you don't do those you will get leaks. Splitting them will require a sync afterward. I go with OEM parts in this kind of stuff I do not want to do it twice.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Having rebuilt both Mikuni and Keihin carbs in watercraft for years, NEVER get anything but OEM parts oh God
The aftermarket diaphragms and orings are poo poo and the needles will start indenting and leaking immediately.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 9, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

Having rebuilt both Mikuni and Keihin carbs in watercraft for years, NEVER get anything but OEM parts oh God
The aftermarket diaphragms and orings are poo poo and the needles will start indenting and leaking immediately.

Yup, with 1 caveat: an OEM NOS rubber gasket with a browned label pulled off a wooden shelf at Bubba's Part Shack is likely to be 1) bad from age and ultraviolet and 2) not made of ethanol resistant rubber. Buying off ebay is a crapshoot, it would be better to source from a dealership that is ordering directly from a distributor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seconded, I got a carbtune to do my bike and the setup/teardown of moving the tank over, extending the fuel hose, and attaching the vaccum lines took three times as long as actually synching the carbs, and that's all poo poo you'd have to do anyway

The $200 CAD was worth any amount of loving around with liquid-filled manometers

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Last series of question posts, I promise. So I was talking it over with my wifes uncle (she has two, both very mechanically inclined), and I'm wondering if I should try this route of diagnosis and repairs.

1. Remove and unrack carbs. Investigate by running a small camera into the bowls and seeing if any are dirty.

2. If dirty, then clean. Either buy a refurb from a vendor and send them off or attempt if myself, slowly and carefully, following along with videos on youtube and writeups by V4 forum members.

3. If not dirty, check airbox for leaks, etc. If good..

4. Check and adjust valves. If within spec..

5. Try a sync first. If still no joy..I dunno. Start looking into coil boxes and cdi boxes, which is where it gets more expensive.

Does this sound reasonable? I know they aren't exactly in order, but I plan on starting with free, etc valves, then sync, then refurb/rebuild myself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Last series of question posts, I promise. So I was talking it over with my wifes uncle (she has two, both very mechanically inclined), and I'm wondering if I should try this route of diagnosis and repairs.

1. Remove and unrack carbs. Investigate by running a small camera into the bowls and seeing if any are dirty.

2. If dirty, then clean. Either buy a refurb from a vendor and send them off or attempt if myself, slowly and carefully, following along with videos on youtube and writeups by V4 forum members.

5. Try a sync first. If still no joy..I dunno. Start looking into coil boxes and cdi boxes, which is where it gets more expensive.

Does this sound reasonable? I know they aren't exactly in order, but I plan on starting with free, etc valves, then sync, then refurb/rebuild myself.

This is what 'just enough knowledge to be dangerous' looks like.

Basically, starting at step 1, no that's insane. If you've gone to the effort of taking the carbs out, which I suspect you're underestimating, it is then a trivial next step to just take a bowl off and look inside; what you're describing is like using n endoscope to find the stone in your sock instead of just turning it inside out. But all that's irrelevant, because if you've taken them out you are already committed and any 'inspection' beyond just establishing what's hosed, is pointless.

You basically have the order completely backwards. You check airbox integrity first because it's the easiest. Then you check spark integrity cause it's the next easiest. Then you sync. Only then, if it still runs bad, do you think about taking the carbs out.

The valve clearances are neither here nor there. The clearances on that engine barely move when they're in the high revving, high power sport models. The detuned cruiser version will be fine, I'd be surprised if any of them are far out of spec, I'd be absolutely astonished if any are so bad that it actually affects how it runs. I wouldn't bother, basically.

Fundamentally: what are you actually trying to do here? If you have an actual problem, describe it and we'll try to diagnose. If you want to have a rollicking cosplay adventure in mechanic land, you have selected hard difficulty.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not my experience on bikes generally. K&L and All Balls make good kits, and even random ebay crap has generally been usable, with some exceptions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not my experience on bikes generally. K&L and All Balls make good kits, and even random ebay crap has generally been usable, with some exceptions.

:same:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm glad to hear the situation is better with motorcycle carb parts. Years of lovely aftermarkets in the watercraft sector have really soured me on that.
And for clarification, "needle" in those carbs is a rubber/viton needle tip seated in a brass orifice. Heavy vibrations will tear up cheap aftermarkets and cause fuel dribbling within days.
There is no bowl. Manifold vacuum pulls the needle away from the seat, but it's supposed to seal above that point.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks identical to a normal motorbike float needle and seat :shrug:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

That looks identical to a normal motorbike float needle and seat :shrug:

It is, but what I think TLB is specifically referring to PWCs. Imagine a 650cc two cylinder two stroke mated to a flimsy fiberglass hull by a few bolts, rattling away in an enclosed environment of a few cubic meters, spinning an impeller via direct shaft out the back at 6000rpm. That was my Superjet 650, and it's a hard environment that is going to expose any parts weaknesses, OEM or otherwise. It's why those things are always broken, though in my experience it was usually electrical. The whole boat industry is shady as poo poo and I assume that extends to the parts suppliers, don't buy boats. Don't even look at them!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is good to know, I've been very close to pulling the trigger on K&L kits. I would definitely use them on single or dual carbs, but with V4's the hassle isn't fixing the carbs themselves but getting to them. I've used several All Balls bearing kits with success, but no gaskets.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

gileadexile posted:

Slavvy has already laid the truth down for you, but if your "very mechanically inclined" uncles-in-law suggested you unrack carbs and scope them out to see if there's crud in the float bowls as the first step in figuring out your bike's issues, they either have absolutely no clue what they're talking about or they're taking the piss

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Arguably you can be mechanically inclined without knowing anything about carburetors or motorcycles. Maybe the dude is a skilled machinist or great at repairing clockwork or something. I've been wrenching on things all my life and I'm mostly pretty descent at it but I still know almost nothing about motos. Which is why I love this thread, and YouTube and service manuals.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Learning about motorbikes has gone hand in hand with learning how little even motorbike people know about motorbikes. People who don't know anything about motorbikes but have some sort of technical competence elsewhere are lethal weapons, I don't care if you work at CERN, you're still going to get lost trying to set the pilot screw. The corollary to this is realising I know literally nothing about anything besides motorbikes and I'm fine with that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Always ran into this when I worked in a bicycle shop too.

Customer: i would like to buy this stem to put on my bicycle
Me: would you like us to install it?
Customer: no i can do it myself, i wrench on all sorts of things all the time, it's just a few bolts
Me: do you know how to adjust a headset [this is required on threadless headsets if you remove the stem as it serves as the thing holding the preload adjustment for the head tube bearings]
Customer: no, why is that important?
Me: *explain why and why it's a HUGE safety issue or how it will destroy your bearings eventually depending on the what flavor of wrong you choose to do*
Customer: ugh you charge $15 dollars to do that??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey so while we're here, it's the top cap bolt that you tighten to preload the bearings on those, then do up the pinch bolts, right? It looks like the same basic principle as the top triple design on a Ducati or KTM ie the top nut stops mattering after you do up the pinch bolt, because the bearing is being preloaded by the triple clamp itself.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Yep, top cap just sets the preload, the bolts on the stem actually hold everything in place to the point you don't even need the top cap once they're tightened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Learning about motorbikes has gone hand in hand with learning how little even motorbike people know about motorbikes. People who don't know anything about motorbikes but have some sort of technical competence elsewhere are lethal weapons, I don't care if you work at CERN, you're still going to get lost trying to set the pilot screw. The corollary to this is realising I know literally nothing about anything besides motorbikes and I'm fine with that.

I do actually know someone who worked at CERN who has a fairly impressive collection of bikes that he maintains himself, and is a bit of a font of knowledge on the Honda CB range through the years.