Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Really? Why?

I mean there was at least a reason behind his TERF-ery, (There was some famous TERF woman he had a crush on, and also the stuff about him getting butthurt about people rightfully calling him out on the misogyny of his jokes in that IT Crowd episode). Not a good reason, and the kind of reason only someone who was already an arsehole would pursue. But a reason nevertheless.

What on God's green earth could possibly persuade someone to suddenly pick up Holocaust denial? Also, that poo poo generally shows itself so much earlier in the form of anti-semitism, racism, and weirdo conspiracy theory believing.

The guy just straight up blew up his entire life just so that he can post terfy tepid takes on trans ppl. I always assumed he had early onset dementia or something like that, kinda like Tila Tequila or Kevin Sorbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The video game also advertised 'minimal involvement from Rowling' as a feature.

I think the game has also advertised that you can make your character trans, but we'll see what they actually do to try to pull that off, I guess.
The way Cuberpunk did it drew criticism, though that was clearly just hacked in late in development after all the CDPR transphobia stuff before release so they can say "we're not transphobic! See, you can play as a trans person in our game!".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Veotax posted:

I think the game has also advertised that you can make your character trans, but we'll see what they actually do to try to pull that off, I guess.
The way Cuberpunk did it drew criticism, though that was clearly just hacked in late in development after all the CDPR transphobia stuff before release so they can say "we're not transphobic! See, you can play as a trans person in our game!".

They also determined your character's pronouns in the absolute worst way, pretty much proving it was a hollow gesture, by basing it on their voice.

You know, one of the hardest things to actually change for a huge portion of trans people.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Weirdly enough, a lot of terfs are wildly antisemitic and a lot of their theories on WHO'S BEHIND THE TRANS AGENDA are similarly so

Yeah, there's one particular high-profile academic terf who built up a whole conspiracy theory/headcanon about how the entire trans "movement" by one particular jewish millionaire who is also a transhumanist that wants to turn everybody into robots or some poo poo. She's one of the more annoying ones because she usually gets incredibly condescending to people who never heard about her theories, along the lines of "Oh, you're a trans activist but you don't even know your own history (that I completely made up)?!"

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Cleretic posted:

They also determined your character's pronouns in the absolute worst way, pretty much proving it was a hollow gesture, by basing it on their voice.

You know, one of the hardest things to actually change for a huge portion of trans people.

Tbh, I wouldn't even go that far. It's a dumb decision because they set the universe as depicted by them up to be so hyper advanced that body modification isn't just commonplace but actively expected of basically everyone, and there's tons of sidequest and advertisement content in the game about artificial dick replacements, breast enhancement, etc etc.

Pronouns should be 'whatever the gently caress you want' in that universe, because anyone can almost just noncommittally bodyswap themselves to whatever catches their fancy.

To be incredibly charitable you can maybe make the assumption that pronouns are tied to voice because 'changing your voice' is more than likely incredibly easy in-universe (especially compared to 'giving yourself sword arms' or 'grafting six eyes onto your head and connecting them with your brain') so there wouldn't really be much a reason for someone transitioning to need to do that via voice training, but it's still really dumb. And is very tonedeaf in terms of messaging.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ishikabibble posted:

To be incredibly charitable

Yeah I stopped doing that a while ago

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
To play Devil's Advocate, I'm trans and I Iiked Cyberpunk's addition to making a trans character. Getting nitpicky about stuff like voice in something as notoriously difficult to program as a huge game is whining imho. It's still positive representation and I'm not going to be ungrateful for it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The voice stuff is clearly because it was added in late in development. They probably only have male specific lines recorded for the male voice and vice versa.

The best way to have done it would have just had a choice during character creation that determined your gender, rather than tying it to another choice, but that would have required additional work for something that was just done in response to controversy and not part of the original design of the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Saint's Row just had voice and gender be completely separate.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Veotax posted:

The voice stuff is clearly because it was added in late in development. They probably only have male specific lines recorded for the male voice and vice versa.

The best way to have done it would have just had a choice during character creation that determined your gender, rather than tying it to another choice, but that would have required additional work for something that was just done in response to controversy and not part of the original design of the game.

Every aspect of the game feels like it was added in late development honestly

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Saint's Row just had voice and gender be completely separate.

I don't remember the voice options in 2, but body type was a sliding scale in it instead of binary choice. Still lead to somewhat confusing NPC lines about motorboating, even though I felt like I had made a masculine character.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

AceOfFlames posted:

Linehan also had to get a testicle removed due to cancer, so some people speculate he's doubling down on TERFery as a twisted way of reassuring himself that he's "still a man"

Miss me with that poo poo, my dad lost a nut to cancer and he's not a raging bigot.

Of course it's gonna affect you psychologically but it's not fair or reasonable to say 'oh yeah it makes you a bastard'

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Veotax posted:

Didn't Fallout 4 just have everyone refer to your character as they/them? I know it was to save costs on recording dialogue, but it did work and literally required less effort.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

In the Sims games nowadays, when you create a Sim you just get to pick all the little details. Does this Sim get pregnant or not? Do they pee sitting down or standing up? Pick their voice from all options, change their body from all options. I think you even pick pronouns these days though I might be forgetting and the game just uses 'they' for everything. I wonder if they've gotten around to making all clothing unisex yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Miss me with that poo poo, my dad lost a nut to cancer and he's not a raging bigot.

Of course it's gonna affect you psychologically but it's not fair or reasonable to say 'oh yeah it makes you a bastard'

I don't think that's what he's saying. Glinner is just insecure enough in himself as a man that losing a goolie negatively affected his mental state. Your father isn't.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Every aspect of the game feels like it was added in late development honestly

It's wild that a game that startet development before the Witcher 3 was released could be so broken. But it's funny how the Playstation store basically says "do not but this game. If you buy it and your console catches fire you have been warned."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jedit posted:

I don't think that's what he's saying. Glinner is just insecure enough in himself as a man that losing a goolie negatively affected his mental state. Your father isn't.

At this point I think Glinner was more looking for excuses than anything. Funny thing is you can't even say he's in an echo chamber because mumsnet hates him, and all the other terfs seem to shun him for fear the same fate might befall them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At this point I think Glinner was more looking for excuses than anything. Funny thing is you can't even say he's in an echo chamber because mumsnet hates him, and all the other terfs seem to shun him for fear the same fate might befall them.

I don't think he's ever said "losing a ball made me go nuts" since that would be an odd thing for him to say, odd in a different way to all the other poo poo he spouts. It's just internet speculation, looking for answers when the answer is probably just "generally liked comedic writer who is used to unconditional praise goes loving nuts and torpedoes his entire life over it when people say "hey that episode was perhaps a little ill judged wasn't it?". All he had to say was "yeah my bad, I was an idiot and hosed up and I wouldn't do it again", even if he was lying.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HopperUK posted:

In the Sims games nowadays, when you create a Sim you just get to pick all the little details. Does this Sim get pregnant or not? Do they pee sitting down or standing up? Pick their voice from all options, change their body from all options. I think you even pick pronouns these days though I might be forgetting and the game just uses 'they' for everything. I wonder if they've gotten around to making all clothing unisex yet.

Unfortunately, the Sims is published by EA, a double-plus bad company.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The South Park game from a couple years ago had a thing where you would choose your gender and then after choose whether you were cis or trans.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I'd pay a little bit to be able to say my phone number is something like STONE 0823-L as if it's 1925

You don't have to pay anyone for that, nothing has actually changed. Just give people the legacy name of your exchange. e.g. 736-5000 would be PEnnsylvania 6-5000. So they can just call the operator and ask for that. Hell, it might work. Are there still operators?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Mr.Chill posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, I'm trans and I Iiked Cyberpunk's addition to making a trans character. Getting nitpicky about stuff like voice in something as notoriously difficult to program as a huge game is whining imho. It's still positive representation and I'm not going to be ungrateful for it.

Yeah but doesn't the story get incredibly hosed up should you play a trans woman?

Possible cyberpunk spoilers (as I never played it, gently caress that company): Johnny silverhand takes over your body, which is unbelievably gross in the context of playing a trans woman.

It's still funny that the fuckin saints row series has some of the better character creation.

This video will always be relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egNGa41tRac

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MokBa posted:

This post feels like a very niche joke.

Taured is a fictional country from a (supposedly true) story about a man tried to get into Japan with a (forged) passport from that country. It's often held up by the kind of people who believe in alternate universes as proof there's alternate universes.

The rest is just Mandela Effect references.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neito posted:

Taured is a fictional country from a (supposedly true) story about a man tried to get into Japan with a (forged) passport from that country. It's often held up by the kind of people who believe in alternate universes as proof there's alternate universes.
Funny thing internet detectives actually tracked down the origin of this story and it turned out to just be a guy committing visa fraud to rob places. He ended up being extradited. All the stuff about him disappearing was made up after the fact.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
should have used a cobrastan visa, those are impossible to fake!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Funny thing internet detectives actually tracked down the origin of this story and it turned out to just be a guy committing visa fraud to rob places. He ended up being extradited. All the stuff about him disappearing was made up after the fact.

I think Barely Sociable did a video about it, but yeah. It's one of those things were we very definitely know what happened, but people still bring it up as OOOOOHHHH SPOOKY UNIVERSES rather than "Guy just lied."

It's like the whole loving Mandela Effect thing. People would rather invent an entire cosmology and alternate universes rather than just admit they misremembered something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neito posted:

I think Barely Sociable did a video about it, but yeah. It's one of those things were we very definitely know what happened, but people still bring it up as OOOOOHHHH SPOOKY UNIVERSES rather than "Guy just lied."

It's like the whole loving Mandela Effect thing. People would rather invent an entire cosmology and alternate universes rather than just admit they misremembered something.

It's nice to have some whimsey and mystery in life, even if fake.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah but doesn't the story get incredibly hosed up should you play a trans woman?

Possible cyberpunk spoilers (as I never played it, gently caress that company): Johnny silverhand takes over your body, which is unbelievably gross in the context of playing a trans woman.

That happening is pretty horrifying no matter who you are, really.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

That happening is pretty horrifying no matter who you are, really.

Yeah, but it is next level in this situation. To be assigned male as a child, knowing it's wrong, spending years of effort to change that, and then the end result is to just have a man take over and reverse all of the work is unpleasant in a way I cannot express. I've known a few people who played the game and were kinda traumatized by that happening to their character, something I doubt would have happened (at least to the same degree) if someone was playing a cis character.

It really speaks to the creators slapping in the ability to be trans last minute to try and make up for the poo poo they pulled earlier, and doing so without actually ever consulting a trans person.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
So what’s the solution? Don’t let players make a trans character?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Think about the outcome for two entire seconds, and write a better ending? One that won't potentially bring harm to a portion of its players?

I assume the plot in that game is pretty poo poo anyways since despite being the best selling game in ages, you don't see people talking about the story. In fact, other than to make fun of how much the game was a wet fart, nobody talks about it at all.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Feb 9, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The context of Cyberpunk explains the whole thing, and it's never presented as something good or positive and the PC is constantly furious that it is happening. It's treated, in video game context, as borderline rape.

You seem to have a pretty limited view of the ending too. Nothing happens the way you describe it in any of the ending options. The first article I can find that explains all the endings at no point mentions anything about what you're blocking in spoiler text.

the only ending options that let Johnny take over are if the player specifically allows it

pentyne has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Feb 9, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

The context of Cyberpunk explains the whole thing, and it's never presented as something good or positive and the PC is constantly furious that it is happening. It's treated, in video game context, as borderline rape.

Johnny’s not particular happy about it either. It’s pretty horrific on both ends.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

christmas boots posted:

i'd start by not writing a story where an ai cyber ghost of a rock star, a concept that died well before my lifetime, takes over the player's brain in a game they kept promising you could do anything in

can't wait for gta6 to include a constant ai companion who is a telephone operator

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If your character wouldn't let Johnny take over their body why not just pick one of the other endings?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i'd start by not writing a story where an ai cyber ghost of a rock star, a concept that died well before my lifetime, takes over the player's brain in a game they kept promising you could do anything in

You can do anything*!

*as long as it results in losing all agency in a fate worse than death

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

You can do anything*!

*as long as it results in losing all agency in a fate worse than death

To be clear, you haven't actually played the game or seen the endings? Or looked them up?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

pentyne posted:

To be clear, you haven't actually played the game or seen the endings? Or looked them up?

Correct. I heard enough from people who had played to never want to go near that game (I was gonna pirate it).

So yes, I could be way off in my knowledge of what occurs, but they fact that a friend of mine was literally triggered by the games ending, I feel confident in saying "gently caress it forever".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There are five endings and Johnny only ends up in control of your body in one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

There are five endings and Johnny only ends up in control of your body in one of them.

And it's always the players option to allow it. There's other choices.