Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Oh indeed. I wish I had put my inheritance into building societies before they started going public, then investing that winfall into apple in 1997. Ah well, no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

Again one is an email scam with poor grammar and spelling and nonsensical situations (why exactly is this money being given to you, at this point in time?) and the other is a barely understood or understandable outgrowth of the tech and finance sectors banging and having a demon scam baby that is being signal boosted by the BBC as legit. They are not the same thing.

The BBC seem to be falling into the same trap that people here keep talking about - I don't understand this so it must be very technical. It's not, though, it is very simple once your lower your expectations enough. The idea is just to scream MINE at a thing you want and expect this to work if you can create that consensus reality. Lots of people will work very hard to try and bring that consensus about by shouting MINE and nodding when other people shout MINE and talking about URL links to a Geocities server on the blockchain because they don't want to accept that the threat of force underlines all human societies.

The people who claim to hate fiat currencies, postmodernism and idpol have decided to base their entire existence around their identity of being pioneers who deconstruct the concept of property with nothing more than a really weird fiat currency and a digital ledger. I see absolutely no way forward that doesn't involve radicalisation and eventual killing sprees the very second they matter enough for a government to laugh at them

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Collateral posted:

Oh indeed. I wish I had put my inheritance into building societies before they started going public, then investing that winfall into apple in 1997. Ah well, no regrets.

I think I was like the only one who wasn't buying into it out of my friends (computer touchers) who kept trying to convince me, so it's a bit more than that.

But yeah to be fair it is a scam and I probably would not last long enough, so.

Still I know several people who got house deposits out of it.

e: While I pay 780 quid to live in an overcrowded house with 7 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, of which only 1 works reliably (something to do with water pressure apparently, the shower is a trickle a toilet takes 15 minutes after flushing to get enough water again). No I'm not bitter.

Reminds me of the discussion about gambling earlier.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 9, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

it’s a bit disingenuous to imply that the danger from Omicron cases in a mostly-vaccinated population is the same as the initial 2019 wave of cases in a totally unvaccinated population
Oh no, I meant the pre-omicron relaxation, i.e. "We are relaxing measures and everything is fine now, oh poo poo wait no it isn't poo poo poo poo poo poo grab masks and work from home again."

The constant cycle of people saying "It's fine now and you're just a pessimist" followed by infection spikes and a return to lockdown is like having a dementia patient in charge of the country.

blunt posted:

Also deaths aren't dropping, they've stabilised at around ~1700 a week for a while now.
If 1700 people were dying as a result of knife crime there'd be hell on. But because it's stupid right wing cunts refusing to wear masks and infecting everyone around them, it's fine and good actually because we can pretend everything's back to normal.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 9, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You could have bought internet drugs with this one tho

I bought :catdrugs: with Bitcoin, then forget about the leftover change until I realized it was worth €500 and cashed out :dukedog:

I'm basically the Warren Buffett of internet weed

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The government are a shower of shits who should always be regarded with suspicion and their priorities are obviously going to be pretty sus, but they're not saying anything crazy here.

Cases are tracking down, deaths are tracking down, hospitalisations are tracking down. Yes, cases were/are probably vastly under-reported because a lot of people with mild/no symptoms never bother getting tested, but if anything that's a positive sign. The Omicron wave has killed a tiny fraction of the number alpha or delta did, despite even the number of officially recorded cases being astronomically higher. Obviously all deaths are bad, but they're now at a level where they're comparable to deaths from other sources. This is no longer a crisis point. Covid is something we need to factor into policy decisions, but it is no longer something that we need to drop absolutely everything else for and treat like the Black Death. The knock on costs of continuing to make Covid the only thing that matters are at this point probably outweighing the benefits.

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for saying it again, but we're absolutely not anywhere close to the near-state of emergency we were last time around, and it's needlessly alarmist to pretend that we are because we're so loving black pilled that our brains cannot accept good news and will twist themselves into knots trying to prove that everything is, in fact, a hundred times worse than it is.

I do think getting rid of the requirement to self-isolate is a dumb move though, that should really be the rule for any potentially dangerous air transmissible disease, assuming there are systems in place to replace wages etc. (lol)

E: missed the above posts- deaths are dropping, albeit slowly. They're always going to trail cases though. I'd also ask who is dying? I would stake money on it being the very same dumbass boomers who refused vaccines, and in that case, you know...

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 9, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s been posted before but honestly everybody should watch that Folding Ideas NFT video:

https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

Yes, it’s loving long but it is an absolutely brutal, laser focused, and intimately researched takedown of the entire cryptocurrency scene. It’s ultimately shocking just how little effort is made to hide the absolute nakedness of the entire scam. It’s a top-tier watch and you will be 100% prepared to take on any credulous claims about cryptocurrency afterwards.

Guavanaut posted:

You could have bought internet drugs with this one tho
You still can 🤫

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

because we're so loving black pilled that our brains cannot accept good news and will twist themselves into knots trying to prove that everything is, in fact, a hundred times worse than it is.

Let's be real, when you say "we" what you mean by this is "you lot, who disagree with me"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't understand NFTs and nothing in this world could convince me to do anything about that, crypto is one of the dumbest, most boring subjects on the entire planet, and I'll sit and happily watch bbc 4

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I don't understand how

ThomasPaine posted:

I do think getting rid of the requirement to self-isolate is a dumb move though, that should really be the rule for any potentially dangerous air transmissible disease, assuming there are systems in place to replace wages etc. (lol)

and

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes, cases were/are probably vastly under-reported because a lot of people with mild/no symptoms never bother getting tested, but if anything that's a positive sign.

can coexist in the same viewpoint? If it's bad to remove the self-isolation requirement isn't it bad that people with mild/no symptoms aren't testing and isolating? (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext - asymptomatic infections cause 1/5 of transmission)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Let's be real, when you say "we" what you mean by this is "you lot, who disagree with me"

Well, yes, but it's hardly limited to this thread and I very much was just as anxious about everyone back when there was a reason to be!

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If I had a time machine then sure, I'd buy all the bitcoin I could and cash out before the first big scams and rugpulls.

But at the time, the chances of you hanging on until it was valuable enough to cash out for millions, but also not become an obsessive hodler, and also avoiding the cratering of the first big exchanges, is astronomically unlikely. You really didn't miss out, because most people weren't on the winning side of the scam.

bingo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

blunt posted:

I don't understand how

and

can coexist in the same viewpoint? If it's bad to remove the self-isolation requirement isn't it bad that people with mild/no symptoms aren't testing and isolating? (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext - asymptomatic infections cause 1/5 of transmission)

Sorry, I wasn't saying that not getting tested was good. I was saying that given the number of omicron deaths the fact that cases were probably even higher than the huge, huge number on record (because of people not being tested) is a positive sign - the number of people getting very sick or dying of omicron is a tiny, tiny fraction of the number catching it by comparison to earlier variants. I think people should always get tested if they think they may have covid, and should self isolate.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Nick Forbes deselected - could get chucked off the everything if it sticks. drat the "hard left".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/09/labour-newcastle-city-council-leader-nick-forbes-deselected-ahead-of-local-elections

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Spangly A posted:

The BBC seem to be falling into the same trap that people here keep talking about - I don't understand this so it must be very technical.

I doubt it. Remember that the BBC is largely staffed by liberals.
And liberals love poo poo like NFTs.

Really, the biggest surprise would be if someone at the BBC hadn't invested big in any NFT named in the piece

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe there's something to the conspiracy that the queen bumped off Phil
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1491377299438321664

Is there really a conspiracy to explain why a 99 year-old man died?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the only plausible way she's ever fought racism in the UK.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

kingturnip posted:

I doubt it. Remember that the BBC is largely staffed by liberals.
And liberals love poo poo like NFTs.

That doesn't invalidate the point. Liberals love pointlessly complicated technical poo poo that makes everything worse, that's a given.

They're still making the mistake in thinking there's anything to explain beyond "some very stupid people think that buying a link to something gives them full property rights"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

It's the only plausible way she's ever fought racism in the UK.

maybe she once tutted about boris in private :shrug:

deano
Sep 6, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwfNzZ7hkRY
stupid loving oval office

deano fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 9, 2022

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Which one?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

this needs a Galaxy O'Brain Warning

e: hmm did I accidentally switch off Youtube thumbnails somehow?

ee: no it should still be showing according to my settings, anyone else having a similar issue?

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 9, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gobjob really has a talent for making the most correct statement in the world sound like bloviating nonsense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If I had a time machine then sure, I'd buy all the bitcoin I could and cash out before the first big scams and rugpulls.

But at the time, the chances of you hanging on until it was valuable enough to cash out for millions, but also not become an obsessive hodler, and also avoiding the cratering of the first big exchanges, is astronomically unlikely. You really didn't miss out, because most people weren't on the winning side of the scam.

If I had a time machine, I'd just bring back a notebook full of winning Lotto numbers.
One good jackpot win and you are sorted. And if you pick one of the draws where the winning amount was going to get reset it arguably won't effect the timeline by denying someone else the money.

Plus you never have to explain how you were so good at picking stocks/cryptos. Just "the numbers came to me in a dream."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
like the idea of a time traveller trolling the lottery people by just winning it every week

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

like the idea of a time traveller trolling the lottery people by just winning it every week

After the fourth or fifth win, you would be greeted in Lottery HQ by the new head of asset disposal, the bald Tobias Rieper, who offers to show you to the champagne room to collect your winnings.

The next thing you know, the press are reporting how you died in a tragic accident when you were crushed by six giant lottery balls.

No, far better to just go around every week handing out winning numbers to a deserving person. You could even make it into a great procedural TV show. We would just get the cast of Person of Interest.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

this needs a Galaxy O'Brain Warning

e: hmm did I accidentally switch off Youtube thumbnails somehow?

ee: no it should still be showing according to my settings, anyone else having a similar issue?

Didn't work for me either. I think the poster can disable it

... if they're EVIL

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mediaphage posted:

i live in a small city in canada and housing prices have jumped here, too. since we were lucky enough to buy a few years ago, the average housing price has literally almost tripled.

i doubt we could afford to buy our house today and we bought one of the smallest houses on the street. i guess theoretically we could take out a heloc and invest that but ew no. it’s really brutal and i have no idea what people are going to do in the next decade.

Yeah we did our first scouting trip of Canada before moving here in 2018, and part of that was visiting lots of different cities (Vancouver, Nanaimo, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto plus a few more between Van/Calgary) and also searching for house prices in each place. We looked at what was available for $400-450k (about £230-260k) because we were selling my house in the UK for ~£230k (up from £165k when I bought it) and figured that was fairly easily affordable. There was lots available at the time, in all of these places except for Vancouver and Toronto, but by the time we'd actually moved here (Ottawa) just 6 months later it was starting to get a lot harder.

My wife was earning as soon as we got here but we thought we'd wait for me to get a job and then be able to afford stuff more easily, but in the meantime house prices started going up by 20% year-on-year, so we ultimately said gently caress it and bought a place in 2020 so as not to get priced out of the market entirely. Was an awful experience, bidding wars on everything - we saw like 20 different houses and made bids on 5 or so before getting one accepted, and even then we were competing with someone else and had to up our initial offer. One house we saw had 28 bids. We ended up getting a place outside of Ottawa proper because we couldn't afford anything closer to town. The place we got is a decent size, and detached, but we had to stretch our budget to the max and it needs about $100k (£60k) of work done on it to bring it up to a nice standard. I'm not talking about spaffing £40k on a kitchen either (though it does need a new kitchen to replace the 30-year-old one), I mean stuff like the cladding/siding is 35 years old and hasn't been maintained so needs replacing, windows and doors need replacing, the garden is gravelly scrubland and the fence is falling down, stuff like that.

On the plus side, I'm learning about home maintenance stuff. This past week I've been repairing damage to my kitchen ceiling caused by a roof leak. Plastering a big patch of ceiling is a complete fucker, especially if you've never done any plastering before. I wish I could have started with a wall, at least.

We were lucky in a lot of ways, having a deposit from selling my house in the UK (which I was only able to buy in the first place because I lived with my parents til I was nearly 30) and my wife finding a reasonably paid job. I have no idea at all how anybody younger than me and especially without living with parents will ever be able to afford to buy a place. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and we can just barely afford our house. It's poo poo. My house has probably gone up in value by $100k or something since I bought it but I don't give a poo poo, it's all imaginary money. We did benefit a bit from UK house prices going up and getting into the Canadian market before things here went *too* insane, but it sucks to have to move to another country to do that, plus 99% of people don't have that option in the first place (even doing all the immigration stuff etc. costs money, too).

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah I know a couple of people who had bitcoin fairly early on. One made £200k... but then their coins were stolen. The other bought in when they were $20, sold out when they were at $200. Made like $20k which, you know, is not to be sniffed at but is not the $5m+ they would have made if they'd held on for longer.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 9, 2022

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Question IRL posted:

If I had a time machine, I'd just bring back a notebook full of winning Lotto numbers.
One good jackpot win and you are sorted. And if you pick one of the draws where the winning amount was going to get reset it arguably won't effect the timeline by denying someone else the money.

Plus you never have to explain how you were so good at picking stocks/cryptos. Just "the numbers came to me in a dream."

In the show 'Travelers', this is exactly how the time travellers make their money. Because they can't bring anything back with them they have travellers who train from birth to be a 'historian', who learns things like stock market events, lottery numbers, baseball scores - anything you could make money from - for their funding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, my dad thought he was basically opening a new kind of investment account, I managed to stop him before he'd put in more than £100, but he definitely didn't think it was a scam or that he was scamming others.

It took a lot of work to convince him that NFTs are just a unique receipt--he's a musician so his frame of reference is that there's multiple forms of partial ownership that come with royalties (songwriting credit, performance credit, etc.) and he'd been under the impression NFTs were something comparable to that, a way of having partial copyright royalties or something. The number of times I said "yeah, they'd be actually useful if they worked like that, but..." Thankfully I headed that off before he'd bought anything.

I think the easiest way to explain it is those "buy land on the moon, buy a lordship in scotland" things.

It's selling you a certificate that claims something you could never actually enforce if you tried, so it is selling you something that is, fundamentally, worthless unless you can convince some bigger idiot that it is worth something.

Then again there are plenty of people who apparently think there is a real official govenment agency or something that is keeping very official track of a million tiny land claims in scotland and issuing titles to people, rather than it being a dude in a shed with a printer telling you all that and you wanting to believe it, sooo....

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Red Oktober posted:

In the show 'Travelers', this is exactly how the time travellers make their money. Because they can't bring anything back with them they have travellers who train from birth to be a 'historian', who learns things like stock market events, lottery numbers, baseball scores - anything you could make money from - for their funding.

time travel fiction is very... :actually:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1491489286620860417

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol Boris would walk straight through Watergate and not bat an eye.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1491483083421462533?s=20&t=9dDwv5h1yt0cWRcb_3Wjkw

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Oh come on Alastair you're doing it on purpose now

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

I watched it. It's a very good show.
From memory, they explain that the Historians are told not to win the full jackpots since that might raise a bunch of red flags.

But winning like $50,000 every few weeks is enough to fund operations while staying under the radar.

It was a good show. I'm glad Netflix let them to an ending.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The world where Iraq could land a missile on Britain by next Thursday keeps looking preferable.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the easiest way to explain it is those "buy land on the moon, buy a lordship in scotland" things.

It's selling you a certificate that claims something you could never actually enforce if you tried, so it is selling you something that is, fundamentally, worthless unless you can convince some bigger idiot that it is worth something.

Then again there are plenty of people who apparently think there is a real official govenment agency or something that is keeping very official track of a million tiny land claims in scotland and issuing titles to people, rather than it being a dude in a shed with a printer telling you all that and you wanting to believe it, sooo....
Since the 1917 Code of Canon Law placed any newly discovered territory under the jurisdiction of the diocese from which the expedition which discovered said territory left, and since that code was still in effect in July 1969, all claims for land on the moon are invalid unless they proceed via the Diocese of Orlando. (Which refuses to process any because people keep asking.)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah we did our first scouting trip of Canada before moving here in 2018, and part of that was visiting lots of different cities (Vancouver, Nanaimo, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto plus a few more between Van/Calgary) and also searching for house prices in each place. We looked at what was available for $400-450k (about £230-260k) because we were selling my house in the UK for ~£230k (up from £165k when I bought it) and figured that was fairly easily affordable. There was lots available at the time, in all of these places except for Vancouver and Toronto, but by the time we'd actually moved here (Ottawa) just 6 months later it was starting to get a lot harder.

My wife was earning as soon as we got here but we thought we'd wait for me to get a job and then be able to afford stuff more easily, but in the meantime house prices started going up by 20% year-on-year, so we ultimately said gently caress it and bought a place in 2020 so as not to get priced out of the market entirely. Was an awful experience, bidding wars on everything - we saw like 20 different houses and made bids on 5 or so before getting one accepted, and even then we were competing with someone else and had to up our initial offer. One house we saw had 28 bids. We ended up getting a place outside of Ottawa proper because we couldn't afford anything closer to town. The place we got is a decent size, and detached, but we had to stretch our budget to the max and it needs about $100k (£60k) of work done on it to bring it up to a nice standard. I'm not talking about spaffing £40k on a kitchen either (though it does need a new kitchen to replace the 30-year-old one), I mean stuff like the cladding/siding is 35 years old and hasn't been maintained so needs replacing, windows and doors need replacing, the garden is gravelly scrubland and the fence is falling down, stuff like that.

On the plus side, I'm learning about home maintenance stuff. This past week I've been repairing damage to my kitchen ceiling caused by a roof leak. Plastering a big patch of ceiling is a complete fucker, especially if you've never done any plastering before. I wish I could have started with a wall, at least.

We were lucky in a lot of ways, having a deposit from selling my house in the UK (which I was only able to buy in the first place because I lived with my parents til I was nearly 30) and my wife finding a reasonably paid job. I have no idea at all how anybody younger than me and especially without living with parents will ever be able to afford to buy a place. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and we can just barely afford our house. It's poo poo. My house has probably gone up in value by $100k or something since I bought it but I don't give a poo poo, it's all imaginary money. We did benefit a bit from UK house prices going up and getting into the Canadian market before things here went *too* insane, but it sucks to have to move to another country to do that, plus 99% of people don't have that option in the first place (even doing all the immigration stuff etc. costs money, too).

Yeah I know a couple of people who had bitcoin fairly early on. One made £200k... but then their coins were stolen. The other bought in when they were $20, sold out when they were at $200. Made like $20k which, you know, is not to be sniffed at but is not the $5m+ they would have made if they'd held on for longer.

don’t want to upset you now you’ve done it but have you not seen those stretchy pvc ceiling things you use to cover the ceiling instead of plastering it , bit late now but next time it may save your sanity

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lynn, this is a fetish ceiling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Cases are tracking down, deaths are tracking down, hospitalisations are tracking down. Yes, cases were/are probably vastly under-reported because a lot of people with mild/no symptoms never bother getting tested, but if anything that's a positive sign. The Omicron wave has killed a tiny fraction of the number alpha or delta did, despite even the number of officially recorded cases being astronomically higher. Obviously all deaths are bad, but they're now at a level where they're comparable to deaths from other sources.
...because we implemented the most basic levels of restriction? And every time we remove restrictions, the cases go back up. I don't see how this is hard. It's happened what, three times now?

But every time cases level out, instead of applauding the measures for working, we clap our hands like seals and start yelling that covid magically solved itself, so we can all go back out and pretend there is no virus ripping through the nation that has mutated into a new variant every loving time we've dropped our guard. In the meantime there are multiple countries across the world taking this seriously who are actually back to normal, apart from the occasional two week quarantine to keep things under control.

But hey, maybe you're right and this time cases and deaths won't go back up when we drop all of the safety measures. Maybe it won't mutate this time. Maybe people will be sensible and keep their distance without being asked. Maybe pigs will fly. Maybe David Cameron won't be hanging out of their mouths.

Seeing that cases and deaths are levelling out or reducing means the measures are working. Removing them is insane.