Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

is it weird to lose satellites in low earth orbit due to a geomagnetic storm?

idk, but it is at least not like lower is better since the earth's magnetic field is part of the equation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, musk is launching so drat many of these things that you’d expect “extremely rare” events to happen eventually

they just lost 40 out of 2000 total. this is worse than the ham radio program's record which i think is 1 out of like 150

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i guess the reason they lost most of the batch is that they were all launched into the same storm so it's just the one rare event

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i don’t think you can count all 40 as independent events like that but the point remains, you’d expect ol musky to do better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you would?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
they were lost due to second order effects. the solar surge heats the atmosphere substantially, which means it’s going to expand and be denser higher up.

this happened basically hours after launch. the company turned the sats edge on into the storm, but the atmospheric drag had risen by 50%, and as a result they couldn’t pivot them back to enter a higher orbit. this is why it only affected this most recent launch batch.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

seems like Starlink satellites launch into a really low orbit first and then boost themselves up to the goal altitude later, in hopes that most dud satellites will fail before they reach the target orbit

except the geomagnetic storm increased upper-atmosphere drag, so the "really low" parking orbit became a "too low" orbit. so when they launched a batch of satellites, the drag in the usual parking orbit was suddenly so high that most of the batch fell out of the sky before the time came to boost themselves up to their real target orbit

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1491186805211017216

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

setting the fsd mode to “shaggar”

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

full spandex destruction

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

All this talk about space weather actually makes me feel like we live in the future though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

you’d expect ol musky to do better
no, i've seen his track record

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

hobbesmaster posted:

hate to hand it to Elon here, but launching low so that failing satellites re-enter quickly is the right move AND putting satellites in safe mode when a big storm is going to hit them is the right move. 40 satellites re enter quickly sounds bad for your rep but actually “40 satellites dead on orbit immediately after launch and won’t re-enter for 5 years lol lmao” is worse.

geomagnetic storms / space weather absolutely gently caress with estimated drag, I can say this from professional experience.

Starlink wants to make each satellite cheap and launch it low. low = higher drag, cheap = weaker propulsion. their satellite design probably has some kind of safety factor, like “drag can be 25% higher than expected and we can still climb to operating orbit without expending more than N years of station keeping propellant”

if they decide to start launching higher all the time or higher during geomagnetic storms, that’s… probably worse for space sustainability

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
th e best thing elon did for space sustainability was to dunk 40 of the 49 satellites that were supposed to launch, back into the atmosphere

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

our "garage" is just a shed since it has a small door. i want to tear it down and replace it with something else but in the meantime its a good project space and the more tropically inclined plants enjoy it.

lol the geraniums just bloom year round now

Owns

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

this is what i've got going on right now

tomatos

they're starting to bud!

lettuce

peppers and herbs

the tomatoes grow faster than anything i've seen before. i have to prune them every other day, and they drink a half gallon every day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i harvested 30 calamondins last week and now they're all squished and soaking in 96% etoh

Nfcknblvbl posted:

this is what i've got going on right now

tomatos

they're starting to bud!

lettuce

peppers and herbs

the tomatoes grow faster than anything i've seen before. i have to prune them every other day, and they drink a half gallon every day

nice! honestly i found the aerogardens nice for basil but that's it (and they are gangbusters at it) because they're a pain to keep up with otherwise. we ended up building our own grow lights out of some high lumen/W strips and such from digikey and it's been working out super well

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1491597910814957569?s=20&t=Fy-FWX0hnSpKwm54_nSn6w

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

once you start spending more on a car than a “normal” 7 series (like 90k) they get less reliable and more poorly built

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

possibly paywalled, but the washington post has published a lengthy article including several video dunks on fsd and a this-implementation-is-doomed attitude:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/02/10/video-tesla-full-self-driving-beta/

not that press attention will do anything but poke a stick into bazinga twitter and somehow make number go up, but it's fun to dream after watching this thread for a long time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

an animal rights group is suing neuralink for abusing monkeys

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1491825200014368768?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1491827050398765064

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh wow that's amazingly bad even relative to Tesla's existing reputation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

who could have ever predicted that the world's richest man, a libertarian south african emerald baron, would have a culture of racism in his companies

like all these articles keep coming out about some new rear end in a top hat thing ol' musky did and i'm like. <billie eilish voice> duh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

100 times a day? drat elon.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

an animal rights group is suing neuralink for abusing monkeys

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1491825200014368768?s=21

Things looking extremely bad for Tesla here:

https://twitter.com/ChrisCaesar/status/1491844681810026499?s=20&t=LnOJ6MjgvsfcmT6z0f-oUA

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yup this will be the thing to bring muskman crashing down

possibly this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah, well, nevertheless

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, musk is launching so drat many of these things that you’d expect “extremely rare” events to happen eventually

also he's bad at it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

musk having these issues isn't the problem, its more his flippant 'if you aren't making mistakes then you aren't iterating fast enough :smuggo:' attitude that doesn't really apply when youre building cars or trying to launch satellites.

from his dumb ideas about AI and machine vision to toddler level poo poo like the hyperloop, 99% of his bewildering stupidity comes from him taking the tiny portion of concepts he does sort of understand and assuming they apply everywhere.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1491853030790103042?s=20&t=Io4qEFoDZPPHYK5vo5hPYQ

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 11, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

oh cool I get to make a second "this machine kills fascists" joke this week!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tesla autopraxis.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fsd is maybe blessed?

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
facist-seeking driving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

epitaph posted:

fascist-seeking driving

yep i like this

mystes
May 31, 2006

It feels like there have definitely now been enough similar accidents where if this had happened at any previous point in history Tesla's FSD would have already been banned, so it's cool that we're just completely unable to regulate stuff anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cars parked on the shoulders of highways get hit a lot. if a cop's pulling you over it's safest to keep driving until you find an offramp