Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Didn't the French have better relationship with the natives than the English? Like, that's what sparked the whole Pontiac Rebellion, right, was the natives getting mad they were getting way shittier trade deals and border enforcement than when the French were around.

I did an effortpost on this a long time ago but basically the French had better relations with indigenous people because their colonial position was much weaker than the English so they weren't usually able to operate from a position of superiority. In isolated incidents where they were in positions of power, and in colonies where they were more numerous, the French were just as violent and oppressive as the English were. So the general answer is: yes, but not as a result of their colonial project being in any way more intentionally humane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

this thread has been quite something lately

now you know how trudeau feels

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Omnicarus posted:

Poutine is pretty good but Tourtière is better

i mean torture pie is great and all but a good poutine and a cold beer is real hard to beat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

skewetoo posted:

I feel like this crisis hasn't reached peak dumb yet lol

which one?

also, i agree

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Omnicarus posted:

Poutine is pretty good but Tourtière is better

I wish it was possible to find a decent creton anywhere in the Maritimes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Probably Magic posted:

Didn't the French have better relationship with the natives than the English? Like, that's what sparked the whole Pontiac Rebellion, right, was the natives getting mad they were getting way shittier trade deals and border enforcement than when the French were around.

Yes. One of Canada’s better military historians just wrote a book about it: Raiders from New France

“Though the French and British colonies in North America began on a 'level playing field', French political conservatism and limited investment allowed the British colonies to forge ahead, pushing into territories that the French had explored deeply but failed to exploit. The subsequent survival of 'New France' can largely be attributed to an intelligent doctrine of raiding warfare developed by imaginative French officers through close contact with Indian tribes and Canadian settlers. The ground-breaking new research explored in this study indicates that, far from the ad hoc opportunism these raids seemed to represent, they were in fact the result of a deliberate plan to overcome numerical weakness by exploiting the potential of mixed parties of French soldiers, Canadian backwoodsmen and allied Indian warriors.
Supported by contemporary accounts from period documents and newly explored historical records, this study explores the 'hit-and-run' raids which kept New Englanders tied to a defensive position and ensured the continued existence of the French colonies until their eventual cession in 1763.”

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

vyelkin posted:

I did an effortpost on this a long time ago but basically the French had better relations with indigenous people because their colonial position was much weaker than the English so they weren't usually able to operate from a position of superiority. In isolated incidents where they were in positions of power, and in colonies where they were more numerous, the French were just as violent and oppressive as the English were. So the general answer is: yes, but not as a result of their colonial project being in any way more intentionally humane

That makes a fair amount of sense and also explains why the Spanish easily had the worst interactions with the indigenous people, because they had the numbers and initial blessing from the Pope to screw around in the Western Hemisphere more.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Yeah consider how they treated Algeria where their position was far far more secure and easier to reinforce

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Probably Magic posted:

I mean there was stil a lot of problems and racism but it is somewhat true that France as an empire was much more focused in the carribean and Africa for it’s brutal exploration colonies and the North had less institutionalized savagery, just by the fact that the trade goods they prized up here, furs at the time, came from dealing with natives rather than displacing them, and didn’t demand the occupation the Caribbean colonies did. different European cultures had different ambitions with regard to what they were looking for in colonies, constrained by practicality for shipment and technology and the like. But ‘enlightenment’ eugenics comes for every culture eventually, once material incentives put enough preassure; by the mid 1800s loving with natives is pretty broad spectrum across the continent, and French Canada is no different. CaptainACAB isn’t wrong that Québécois have participated in a lot of bad poo poo in that regard

Ron Paul Atreides has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Feb 9, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lol at canadians of any stripe pretending like they pronounce literally anything “correctly”

Until Canada learns how to pronounce "Lieutenant" we can forever shut the gently caress up about any other country's pronunciation

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Until Canada learns how to pronounce "Lieutenant" we can forever shut the gently caress up about any other country's pronunciation
If you're talking about that British poo poo where they just pronounce it like it's spelled a completely different way, I will not hear it.

It's a word crime on the level of Colonel.

I will spell colour with a "u" but I will not abide that nonsense.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
what is an interesting conversation for another thread is the shifts in how natives are viewed and dealt with as the hunger for more land to sell to immigrants becomes stronger; go back to the 1650s and the way most North American intellectuals talk about Natives is starkly different then 2 centuries later. Kinda demonstrates the material dialectic and material basis of ideologies quite aptly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TheKingofSprings posted:

lol the one that drives me batty (for no reason, i'm not really much of a prescriptivist) is how so many people in canada pronounce asphalt as ash-fault

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

If you're talking about that British poo poo where they just pronounce it like it's spelled a completely different way, I will not hear it.

It's a word crime on the level of Colonel.

I had an ex-military teacher in grade 7 who loved to say LEFTtennant and it drove me nuts because I was easily triggered even then

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

mediaphage posted:

lol the one that drives me batty (for no reason, i'm not really much of a prescriptivist) is how so many people in canada pronounce asphalt as ash-fault

rear end-fat :quebec:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Wordle spoiler but HUMOR made me mad today. It's still weird that game written by a Brit (afaik) and hosted in the UK uses American spellings and it definitely threw me off today.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/cbcolivia/status/1491162964795473926?s=21

Yes, ha haha… YES!

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

They’re advising each other to use kids as human shields in the Zello chats

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Listening to the zello channels has been a fascinating look into the cavernous mind of the Canadian chud

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
even though I live in the US, I have dual citizenship so I will continue to post here as is my divine right

now get in loser we’re headed to timmy’s

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
whatever happened to that grumpy rear end in a top hat Les? last time I heard he threw a fit and kicked everyone out of his Zello channel.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
you ever think its bullshit they still advertise the powdered sugar jelly filled timbits on the packaging they don’t really sell it at all?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

BGrifter posted:

whatever happened to that grumpy rear end in a top hat Les? last time I heard he threw a fit and kicked everyone out of his Zello channel.

If that’s who I think it is, he may be in the Windsor channel now.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 29, 2022

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Koirhor posted:

you ever think its bullshit they still advertise the powdered sugar jelly filled timbits on the packaging they don’t really sell it at all?

There's like 30+ different timbit flavors but all you get are plain, glazed and chocolate. Fighting over the rare sprinkled glazed tests friendships. Any other flavors are clearly myths.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I like the Tim Biebs, they aren't bad when they are fresh

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Omnicarus posted:

tim horton's stockholm syndromed our entire country into thinking anything they make is better than dog poo poo

edit: actually I do have a soft spot for sour cream glazed because I am a 70 year man

thunderspanks has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Feb 9, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

CaptainACAB posted:

Yeah one thing I hate about the western discourse on Japan is westerners act like the Japanese people are entirely blameless and separate from their government, which is stupid because s majority of the Japanese obviously agree with th LDP and Nippon Kaigi, which is why they keep winning.

CaptainACAB posted:

Because TO THIS DAY, the ruling party of Japan, comprised of both the ideological and actual, literal, flesh and blood descendants of the people who orchestrated this genocide has alternated between denying any atrocities happened and saying that they were good.

The majority of the Japanese people know this and agree with it, which is why the ruling party is the ruling party.

Japan is a right wing ethnostate and the only thing that prevents it from being a nightmare is Article 9, which Nippon Kaigi freaks want to repeal.

Do you know how insane people would go if the CDU in Germany came out and said the Holocaust was a hoax? Yet when the LDP does it, people either agree or look the other way.

not surprised this poster went off about another nationality, but did not expect it to be in the Canada thread and directed at the Quebecois

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Cold on a Cob posted:

Wordle spoiler but HUMOR made me mad today. It's still weird that game written by a Brit (afaik) and hosted in the UK uses American spellings and it definitely threw me off today.

didnt really phase me after using american autocorrect for most of my life

Omnicarus posted:

that was the strangest promotion to me. good for him cashing out long after the end of his career i guess

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

thunderspanks posted:

tim horton's stockholm syndromed our entire country into thinking anything they make is better than dog poo poo

In defense of the previous poster, the only thing even remotely edible from there are the timbits, and I include the coffee in that statement which is just steeped cigarette ashes served at temperatures high enough to light gasoline on contact

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Durf posted:

that was the strangest promotion to me. good for him cashing out long after the end of his career i guess

A friend got the Tim Biebs fanny pack on purpose and it remains the most mystifying purchase anyone I know has ever made.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Timmy's only sells disgusting (and American-owned, as if that makes a difference) swill, although that's not surprising since it's coffee after all

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Tim's used to be good when it was Canadian owned and everything was baked in house, now it's all reheated frozen bullshit because capitalism incentivizes innovation

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Durf posted:

Uh he's headlining in the Metaverse now you old man!

Get with the times

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Danaru posted:

Tim's used to be good when it was Canadian owned and everything was baked in house, now it's all reheated frozen bullshit because capitalism incentivizes innovation

I worked briefly at one of the plants that produces some Tim's pastries and hoo boy did it explain A LOT

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Fried Watermelon posted:

Uh he's headlining in the Metaverse now you old man!

Get with the times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVyLlFezj2E

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
wow hes so relatable

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danaru posted:

Wait you mean there are downsides to aspect of Canadian culture and society being sacrificed to Capitalism?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Yeah the youth are definitely into Meta, sure

Durf posted:

CBC published this article about the Canadian English dictionary and how it hasn’t been updated since 2004, which explains so much about why software doesn’t have it as a localization option.

It’s also driving me insane because I took up creative writing last year and now worry constantly about whether I’ve got things right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Is a donut shop named after a hockeyman really culture? Pretty sure it was always capitalism.