Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The deck is gonna be out before they’re on switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
can the deck emulate the Switch version of portal 2

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

can the deck emulate the Switch version of portal 2

Easily.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Got to hold a deck today. Twas neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kwolok posted:

Got to hold a deck today. Twas neat.

What did it taste like

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
are there any videos of people using the touchpads to navigate menus and UI's and games n such, or is it all just dumbasses showing proc perf monitors while talking about voltage rates?

Also this game better have good rumble:

Edit vv That makes sense, thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

are there any videos of people using the touchpads to navigate menus and UI's and games n such, or is it all just dumbasses showing proc perf monitors while talking about voltage rates?

They are not allowed to talk about that yet. One of the guys mentioned that they are getting daily OS updates.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Just look up some Steam Controller videos. Interface is going to look different, but the controls are the same.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What did it taste like

Not enough salt.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

SCheeseman posted:

Some bullshit from Sweeney:
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1490519194915459072
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1490565925648715781
For Steam Deck support, they would only have to support whatever Valve ships. If they want to expand more than that, there are signed kernels for various Linux distros. The scope is infinitesimally smaller than Android, so presumably this is more of a tactical move.

Yeah no idea why they would react this way. Kinda weird tbh. In other news Tencent is making a Steam Deck like portable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fortnite doesn't even operate in China so if their plan is to withhold the game from a western-market system for the sake of a china-market system they haven't thought this through

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

Edit vv That makes sense, thanks.

Linus very briefly uses it to move the pointer around and notices the movement is momentum based or something?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, the haptic touchpads are set up to act and feel like trackballs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's one of many options for binding it

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You can't bind it. Your magic is too weak.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Battery Life Comparison running demanding games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXxc92neD_s

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
A battery extender is going to be the #1 accessory I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been on quite a few flights with my Aya Neo and one thing I’ve learned is that the seat power jacks never work.

I’ve had a working on exactly one time and this is flying both coach and business classes.

Get a battery pack for real.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The seat outlets or the USB chargers? Most of the time outlets work, but USB chargers are under 1amp, so they might not even have enough juice to register as "plugged in", much less meaningfully charge.

But yeah, a good battery pack will be super useful.

This SD card performance has me cautiously optimistic dual booting to Windows on SD card will be not only feasible but also...good? Getting Xbox game pass (and to a lesser degree, Epic) working on the Steam Deck is going to be an important goal, but I don't really want to give up on SteamOS right off the bat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

The seat outlets or the USB chargers? Most of the time outlets work, but USB chargers are under 1amp, so they might not even have enough juice to register as "plugged in", much less meaningfully charge.

Yeah outlets very last flight the whole row was out and the flight before that the outlet was so worn out the adapter wouldn't stay in.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What a reassuring experience for these companies to build into their airplanes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
personally, battery life shan’t matter to me, as i will play this twenty feet from my pc, sitting on the couch, half paying attention to my five month old baby, plugged into the wall behind the couch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why is your baby plugged into the wall?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Does the dock for this come with the Deck or will it need to be bought separately? Like chances are pretty good I'll be using it handheld most of the time (otherwise what's the point, I can just play my steam games on my PC), but it'll be nice to have a PC-adjacent thing to plug into my TV as well.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The dock isn't real.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Framboise posted:

Does the dock for this come with the Deck or will it need to be bought separately? Like chances are pretty good I'll be using it handheld most of the time (otherwise what's the point, I can just play my steam games on my PC), but it'll be nice to have a PC-adjacent thing to plug into my TV as well.

They are going to have a dock eventually but you could just buy this

Limited-time deal: USB C Hub, Hiearcool MacBook Pro Adapter USB C Dongle, 7 in 1 USB C to HDMI Multiport Adapter Compatible for USB C Laptops Nintendo and Other Type C Devices (4K HDMI USB3.0 SD/TF Card Reader 100W PD) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WPTG7NX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_D46D3DD5P0NC1MYFT32T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The dock is isn’t going to be anything special.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MarcusSA posted:

Why is your baby plugged into the wall?

look pal i dont tell you how to parent your kids do i

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

look pal i dont tell you how to parent your kids do i

One strange trick parents hate!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

They are going to have a dock eventually but you could just buy this

Limited-time deal: USB C Hub, Hiearcool MacBook Pro Adapter USB C Dongle, 7 in 1 USB C to HDMI Multiport Adapter Compatible for USB C Laptops Nintendo and Other Type C Devices (4K HDMI USB3.0 SD/TF Card Reader 100W PD) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WPTG7NX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_D46D3DD5P0NC1MYFT32T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The dock is isn’t going to be anything special.

Nifty. Good to know, thanks!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There are USB-C docks that have battery packs or SSDs built into them also, you can get just about any kind of weirdass dock you want.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1492259379004854273?s=20&t=EBRzWMgsNzWZ3AhdnXcuWg this is p cool!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They did the same with the Steam Controller I believe, I don't know how much came from it but the Deck is way more popular so I can't wait to see what people do with it.

Would be dope for people to print and sell parts in different colors so we can just customize our deck however we want.

edit: I can't wait for someone to just print out a Blue/Red Neon shell and make their Deck look like a Switch.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

sigher posted:

They did the same with the Steam Controller I believe, I don't know how much came from it but the Deck is way more popular so I can't wait to see what people do with it.

Would be dope for people to print and sell parts in different colors so we can just customize our deck however we want.

edit: I can't wait for someone to just print out a Blue/Red Neon shell and make their Deck look like a Switch.

and this is great for whoever wants to develop and sell docks/cases/whatever that fit the deck perfectly without guesswork or official licensing!

The issue with new shells is that you'll need to remove the main board and the screen from the Deck, which seems like a pain to do. It's definitely not made for hot swapping shells.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I went through the arduous process of swapping my Switch shell and joycons so I had a white switch with colorful buttons and poo poo, it was a massive pain in the rear end but honestly I'd do it again for the Steam Deck to get a color scheme I really like. I know it wouldn't be for everyone but people do love to tinker.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really hoping that I'm able to snag one of these as soon as they become available. From how I understood it I was in a later wave of registration because I didn't put my 5 bux down until the evening the day it went live and my projected date was later than my friend who had got in earlier.

I've just been anticipating it a lot. It's kinda exciting that 2 things I've really been looking forward to are coming on roughly the same day (the other being Elden Ring).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Framboise posted:

I'm really hoping that I'm able to snag one of these as soon as they become available. From how I understood it I was in a later wave of registration because I didn't put my 5 bux down until the evening the day it went live and my projected date was later than my friend who had got in earlier.

I've just been anticipating it a lot. It's kinda exciting that 2 things I've really been looking forward to are coming on roughly the same day (the other being Elden Ring).

Define "available." You aren't getting one at the end of the month, that's for sure. And the steam deck might not be "available" in the sense that you can just buy one and have it shipped to you right away until the end of the year or maybe not even until next year. If it's any good at all, that's only going to generate more backorders after it releases, and Valve will have a hard time keeping up with the demand.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You're making it sound like I didn't reserve one at all. I did, just a few hours after it went live because I was at work when it went live.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Framboise posted:

You're making it sound like I didn't reserve one at all. I did, just a few hours after it went live because I was at work when it went live.

Steam gives you an estimate, which you referenced in your post. That's why I was kind of confused. You're not getting it sooner than the estimate.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its not really an estimate at this point though because it's mostly binary before/after Q2. If you got one 2 hours after orders started, or you bought one right now, you're "after Q2" but I'm gonna be shocked if they got to the latter group before 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Well that's discouraging.