Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have visited every barber in London and so far only one of them so far can master "Richard Spencer, but more punchable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

has anybody seen streeting and darren grimes in the same room together?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

has anybody seen streeting and darren grimes in the same room together?

The answer to that question is currently locked in a basement in Whitehall and will be released in 2122.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Crossposting myself from the covid thread:

Dunno if anyone's interested but I can't stop messing around with the UK covid data and realistically this is why they're all making "it's over" noises:

This is how the CFR now compares with last year. That jump to an >4% CFR isn't because of a lack of testing, as it was in the early days, or because Alpha was notably deadlier than Wuhan or other variants, it's because the NHS was unable to cope with the number of patients. Now whether or not you take the much lower CFR being all to do with Omicron or all to do with vaccines (I suspect mostly the latter but a little of the former) it's indisputable that we're now dealing with a much less deadly disease.

Now of course you certainly can argue we're relaxing too much way too soon even with that, but it's hard to argue that measures that were suitable last winter are suitable here and now.

One last titbit - covid deaths so far this winter are actually considerably lower than flu deaths in 2014/15, the last really nasty year for flu in the UK (44k deaths over the winter in England and Wales - we're currently at 15k covid deaths since the beginning of November, and losing about a thousand people a week, so *extremely* unlikely to overtake that number).

OK, but what's CFR? Because without knowing that this doesn't mean much. COVID Fatality Rate?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

OK, but what's CFR? Because without knowing that this doesn't mean much. COVID Fatality Rate?

Case Fatality Rate - it's the number of people who die per confirmed case.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Crossposting myself from the covid thread:

Dunno if anyone's interested but I can't stop messing around with the UK covid data and realistically this is why they're all making "it's over" noises:

This is how the CFR now compares with last year. That jump to an >4% CFR isn't because of a lack of testing, as it was in the early days, or because Alpha was notably deadlier than Wuhan or other variants, it's because the NHS was unable to cope with the number of patients. Now whether or not you take the much lower CFR being all to do with Omicron or all to do with vaccines (I suspect mostly the latter but a little of the former) it's indisputable that we're now dealing with a much less deadly disease.

Now of course you certainly can argue we're relaxing too much way too soon even with that, but it's hard to argue that measures that were suitable last winter are suitable here and now.

One last titbit - covid deaths so far this winter are actually considerably lower than flu deaths in 2014/15, the last really nasty year for flu in the UK (44k deaths over the winter in England and Wales - we're currently at 15k covid deaths since the beginning of November, and losing about a thousand people a week, so *extremely* unlikely to overtake that number).

Three of my friends tested positive today and I’m waiting on the PCR so I just lolled at big Boris’ plan for a covid free-for-all but I mean I guess it can’t go on forever.

Of course it would be insane to make it say, illegal to request employees come in when verifiably sick as a response to easing of all restriction but hey what do I know.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aipsh posted:

Three of my friends tested positive today and I’m waiting on the PCR so I just lolled at big Boris’ plan for a covid free-for-all but I mean I guess it can’t go on forever.

Of course it would be insane to make it say, illegal to request employees come in when verifiably sick as a response to easing of all restriction but hey what do I know.

Honestly I'm fairly sure this is already happening on a massive scale. As I thought I'd mentioned upthread but I remembered I lost my train of thought halfway through the post and ended up trashing it[1] I'm still doing RVS work shopping for people in isolation and this time last year I'd generally get a call within minutes of going on-duty, but I've not had a request all week despite 10x the cases.

[1] Am I the only one who does this? I only post about a third of the things I actually open a reply window for (and if you extrapolate from the stuff I *do* bother to post you can only imagine what I don't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unbelievably, I also do not always post everything I write.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I only abandon a post when I realise it's an incredibly poo poo joke instead of my usual very bad joke.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

The labour party is under new management and the last thing a respectable union should be doing is renegotiating agreements when management changes

I wonder if winter flu masks will make a comeback now that most people are comfortable with the idea and the people who vocally aren't are massive twats

lol you know they won't imo

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I often post and you should too

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I should probably just replace each of those abandoned posts with AD Wintle's letter to the Times:

quote:

From Lt. Col. A.D. Wintle.
The Royal Dragoons
Cavalry Club
127 Piccadilly W.1.

To the Editor of The Times.

Sir,

I have just written you a long letter.

On reading it over, I have thrown it into the waste paper basket.

Hoping this will meet with your approval,

I am
Sir
Your obedient Servant

(Signed, ‘ADWintle’)

6 Feb ’46

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's very brave of the Labour Party to say that they don't need money.
I'll admit that I'm surprised; I though the daily rate for tarquins more or less relied on the employer having a consistent cashflow. On reflection, though, I guess a lot of them do have secondary sources of income, so it's probably not going to result in the brain drain that senior Labour sources would have feared.

Also, Neil Coyle is a good lad who certainly isn't a raging alcoholic, and certainly doesn't have the Evening Standard on speed-dial.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
This week's 'Unbelievable Truth' on Radio 4 had two 'right wing comedians' on, and god it was abysmal. They really need to stop this affirmative action for nazis poo poo.

(But they won't, it's going to get worse)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The public interest includes the interests of a bunch of landlords and Tories, I try to vote for political parties acting in my interest instead. In Labour's case maybe the interests of labour would be good a start.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
WTF?
Is this real? Anyone here still in the party and got this email? (The tombola bit)

https://twitter.com/eddietheknife/status/1491558922670555140?s=20&t=lio1V7VGC8r22BkjbsgSDg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They do them quite often I think, I have one from 2016 where they're raffling tickets to a "gala dinner" with corbyn. And a bunch more from labour north.

I don't think any of them offered cash prizes, mind.

Exciting opportunity to meet lisa nandy!!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 10, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Will she be doing a magic show too?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Marmaduke! posted:

Will she be doing a magic show too?

Nah, she's no Penny Mordaunt.

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1491570670513360898

Labour being bank rolled by the House of Saud would be incredible.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 10, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

When your goal isn't to win, but to comfortably come second and make sad faces before collecting a personal cheque from private business and loving off to a consulting gig you don't really need a lot of money for the party to be fair.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Going to be interesting to see how Keith balances being Islamophobic to try and attract Tories while also being funded by the Saudis. Can't see that contradiction causing any problems.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mebh posted:

When your goal isn't to win, but to comfortably come second and make sad faces before collecting a personal cheque from private business and loving off to a consulting gig you don't really need a lot of money for the party to be fair.

I dunno if that's fair. There's also a lot of Luke Akehurst types who are incomprehensibly influential in the party and who think that replacing unions with literally nothing is the best way to get elected, because unions represent some vague idea of left wingness that must be stamped out at all costs, including very literal costs.

That no one in 2022 except them gives any thought to the role of unions in politics is irrelevant, apparently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Going to be interesting to see how Keith balances being Islamophobic to try and attract Tories while also being funded by the Saudis. Can't see that contradiction causing any problems.
It will just conveniently never be mentioned, in the same way that New New Labour will never be called antisemitic even while being funded by wahhabists.

Plus it's not like the TBI can't be extremely islamophobic despite being funded by extremists.

https://twitter.com/dannybirchall/status/1491694588297416704

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

I think they need to rebrand, and might I suggest a new name that embraces the Atlanticism and love of The Troops that are the core of the current party - "The Washington Generals".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Do the house of Saud even care about Islamophobia? Seems like it's part of the whole Wahabbi deal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably not, but it's an easy attack line for the papers to say "kieth you oppose Islam as the terror religion but you funnel money to King Murder through the Tonty Bastard Institute, how does that work?"

Which is why it's important that they never will, which he will have to ensure by never making any legislation that inconveniences the newspaper owners.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

Nah, she's no Penny Mordaunt.

I don't know, Starmer has managed to saw a political party in half and make hundreds of thousands of members disappear in front of the entire nation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1491355182982365184

I can't keep up with all these narratives being rewritten on the fly.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Aipsh posted:

but I mean I guess it can’t go on forever.

It absolutely can and it almost certainly will!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think they need to rebrand, and might I suggest a new name that embraces the Atlanticism and love of The Troops that are the core of the current party - "The Washington Generals".

Following you on Twitter and also reading this thread gives me horrible deja vu sometimes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Following you on Twitter and also reading this thread gives me horrible deja vu sometimes.

recycle he own content, a shameful goon

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Lol, because I know a big chunk of my followers on Twitter are from here I do at least *try* to keep them distinct but drat I was proud of that joke considering I'd only had one cup of tea at that point.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1491723276875407368

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1491507563749425156

and in other news:

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1491722508847964162

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 10, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
We can bring back the Page 3 Tits now that the cruel whip-hand of Brussels has been withdrawn

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1491725806971801600

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to think of one thing that the EU has banned that wasn't already banned by the UK or in the process of being banned by the UK or just generally useless and all I can think of is those antique shotguns disguised as walking canes. Definitely want one of those to take pot shots at brexiteers' incandescent lightbulbs while out walking.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

We can bring back the Page 3 Tits now that the cruel whip-hand of Brussels has been withdrawn

The tits can be under 18 too, that’ll appeal to Tory voters!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

I'm trying to think of one thing that the EU has banned

Us

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Debt to gdp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Jesus, Major is giving a good speech atm.