Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aces High posted:

they did finally wise up to this for 3 by giving Male Shep non-hetero options. Kinda too bad it took them 3 games and ~6 years for that to be a thing but hey at least it finally happened. Despite the Asari being designed as female I always liked them being modelled as monogendered, but much like that episode of Star Trek where Riker gets with a member of a similar race, god forbid we cast/design that individual as androgynous

The developers mentioned there was going to be non-hetero options in ME2, but the producers got scared after the first one had all the negative press on Fox about the sex scene in the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aces High posted:

they did finally wise up to this for 3 by giving Male Shep non-hetero options. Kinda too bad it took them 3 games and ~6 years for that to be a thing but hey at least it finally happened. Despite the Asari being designed as female I always liked them being modelled as monogendered, but much like that episode of Star Trek where Riker gets with a member of a similar race, god forbid we cast/design that individual as androgynous

There is the conversation where Liara's other parent calls Shepard "an anthropocentric bag of dicks" when Shepard says "If you were human, you would both be called her mom."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Crowetron posted:

There was like one ambient conversation that implied Asari look different to each of the other races that could've been interesting, but it's Mass Effect so they never do anything with that and instead focus on them being sexy blue ladies that sometimes become sex vampires.

It annoys me that people are correctly slamming CDPR for doing lovely stuff with LGBTQ issues and then immediately start praising Bioware like they didn't do the exact same poo poo. It's bad in both cases.

I mean really though that idea didn't fit with anything we'd seen before or after with the asari (also they wear the same armor as humans in ME1) so I'm not surprised it never got taken further.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mass Effect 3 is remarkable for being one of those blatantly unfinished games that fans tell you is great with X, Y, and Z mods, that restore partially finished content. But in this case it was the devs themselves selling you a mod made out of stuff that was cut for time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

I mean really though that idea didn't fit with anything we'd seen before or after with the asari (also they wear the same armor as humans in ME1) so I'm not surprised it never got taken further.

They have cameras, it's a silly idea fit for nothing more than a goofy background conversation.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

HopperUK posted:

In the Sims games nowadays, when you create a Sim you just get to pick all the little details. Does this Sim get pregnant or not? Do they pee sitting down or standing up? Pick their voice from all options, change their body from all options. I think you even pick pronouns these days though I might be forgetting and the game just uses 'they' for everything. I wonder if they've gotten around to making all clothing unisex yet.

When the game launched, there was simply one model for male sims and one model for female sims, each with their own sets of clothes. When they did the gender update a few years ago, they made male and female versions of every piece of clothing, as well as adding those options you mentioned.

They also added masculine and feminine body type options, which deformed the base male or female models, and looked different depending on whether you were starting with a male or female Sim. Pronouns were (and still are) based on the male or female base model option. There's an upcoming update that will allow you to type in custom pronouns, but it's not here yet.

Also I kinda lied, there's one piece of clothing that is gender locked, the outfit that's just a towel wrapped around the waist. Only male sims with the masculine body type can wear it. Don't want anybody seeing a nipple unless it's on a manly man.

I've also been kinda impressed by when they added pride flags. They made a few common ones, and people complained about omissions and rather than going "you gays are so hard to please, I give up" like any other company, they added more flags until people were happy.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

christmas boots posted:

I don't think it was that the asari actually physically look different as much as the different races focus on different features most like themselves.

like the Turian brings up the head swoopies that resemble turian crests

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mazerunner posted:

I don't think it was that the asari actually physically look different as much as the different races focus on different features most like themselves.

like the Turian brings up the head swoopies that resemble turian crests

I agree that's the intended reading. And then I think the salarian make a remark wondering if it goes deeper than that, but you're supposed to understand for the musings of a drunken man that it is

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Burkion posted:

I fell assbackwards into romancing Kaiden in ME3 because I didn't realize they opened up the dating pools back in the day.

I actually felt really bad about it because it was on a save where I was specifically following one romance option so I had to hardcore backdown. Fun way to find out though

It's not a Bioware game unless you don't even notice you're romancing someone until you have to cock block them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nice Van My Man posted:

Eh, I was really put off Saints Row 3 when there was that one mission where you intercept trafficked women and the 'joke' was that instead of saving them you divert them to your brothels.

You play as a criminal OP

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Lol my gf knows about the mass effect 3 debacle, and she's played 4 videogames in her life.
Pretty sure your girlfriend is an extreme outlier in this matter. I mean, I play video games and post on Something Awful and all I know about it is that some dickheads complained about the ending of a video game so loudly that the company changed it. I doubt the average person would even know that much.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's really nicely done how people address and talk about the boss while avoiding using gendered pronouns but IMO it never feels like a cop-out because it's so smoothly done even in a ridiculous game series.
There's, I think, exactly one place in the entire series where they hosed it up: there's a scene where Gat, Shaundi and the Boss are in a lift in Saints Row 3 and Gat complains that they've "traded [their] dicks for pussies", which is already kind of weird given that Shaundi's there, but with a female Boss it especially stands out as a weird thing to say.

Nice Van My Man posted:

Eh, I was really put off Saints Row 3 when there was that one mission where you intercept trafficked women and the 'joke' was that instead of saving them you divert them to your brothels.
Saints Row 3 is really bad. Very fun to play, but the story and characters are unpleasant. Part of that is due to it not really being properly finished, but the problems are deeper than that. Whereas the previous game had you playing as a very bad person who didn't care who they hurt, 3 tried to reform the character and give them a "heart of gold", but still had them doing terrible things; in many cases, worse than they'd previously done.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Feb 10, 2022

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Saints Row 3 is kind of a weird intermediate point between the criminal mayhem of 2 and the superhero style of 4 - it bounces wildly between tones, sometimes in the same mission.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

they didn't "change" the ending for ME3, they added a "gently caress you for not enjoying the choices we gave you at launch" dialogue branch that resulted in a game over (they could've made it an actual ending but didn't because gently caress you) and added some additional dialogue and screenshots to pad out the original endings. The fundamental endings of ME3 have never changed

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Maybe all western sci-fi RPGs are just destined to have poo poo endings right now.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Narrative is the bane of video games.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elissimpark posted:

Narrative is the bane of video games.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

The fundamental endings of ME3 have never changed

The actual ending is, you have that huge party on the Citadel, go immediately to Earth, slog through to the end, then when presented with a red/green/blue choice you hit alt-f4 and go read that one Three Panel Soul comic

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

What the gently caress flag is that. What president did I rescue

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jorge Luis Borges couldn't have written a more concise story.

I play video games to wreck poo poo up, not listen to stories.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

While I know others were upset by it, and totally valid to be so, I was never bothered by the in-game advertisement that raised controversy.

Spoilered for mildly Nsfw imagery:

To me it just came across as yeah, capitalism will exploit anyone to sell a product. Having a trans person be the sexualized image on an advertisement is just getting ahead of the curve, in 10-20 years poo poo like this will be on the side of a bus in real life.

lol her dick is upside down

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dave Chappelle: FYGM, NIMBY
https://twitter.com/ExileGrimm/status/1491496240214913029

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
all saints row games are good

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can't find it right now, but Bioware has that one unintentionally hilarious piece of concept art with all the female members of the various Dragon Age races drawn with invisible high heels.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol nevermind:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Different standards of beauty? :crossarms:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, very distinct standards of beauty: "conventionally attractive", "conventionally attractive with horns", "conventionally attractive with pointy ears" and "short and slightly pudgy"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Holy poo poo that image makes me angry

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Moon Monster posted:

It's not a Bioware game unless you don't even notice you're romancing someone until you have to cock block them.

I'm reminded of how Fire Emblem games do it where with nearly every interaction sequence between male and female characters have to double as both platonic and romantic given the difference is one extra scene, and it gets awkward fast.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.oglaf.com/dimorphism/ (midly :nws:)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Different standards of beauty? :crossarms:

Well yes you see, one has a slim waist and big tits, and the other has a slightly slimmer waist and big tits. Diversity!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

moonmazed posted:

lol her dick is upside down

It's called an erection.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Just as a random counterpoint, a friend of mine actually found Cyberpunk weirdly cathartic because her main objective was to oust an invasive male presence from her head. :shrug:

Mr.Chill posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, I'm trans and I Iiked Cyberpunk's addition to making a trans character. Getting nitpicky about stuff like voice in something as notoriously difficult to program as a huge game is whining imho. It's still positive representation and I'm not going to be ungrateful for it.

:chloe:

It's only positive representation if you ignore literally every single piece of context about its inclusion, implementation, and the marketing surrounding it. That's not to say appreciating it for yourself is inherently wrong, but CDPR was poo poo about it in just about every way, shape, and form. Do not give a company credit just because they made the laziest overture towards trans people existing, without actually caring about trans people in any meaningful or relevant way beyond that.

While I know others were upset by it, and totally valid to be so, I was never bothered by the in-game advertisement that raised controversy.

Spoilered for mildly Nsfw imagery:

To me it just came across as yeah, capitalism will exploit anyone to sell a product. Having a trans person be the sexualized image on an advertisement is just getting ahead of the curve, in 10-20 years poo poo like this will be on the side of a bus in real life.

In a vacuum, it's just maybe a bit tone deaf, especially when combined with CDPR's previous transphobic bullshit. FWIW, it didn't instantly bother me from the jump either. The bigger issues are that they 1) pretty blatantly and cynically capitalized on the fervor around it to market the game and its character creation options. (And ultimately, hyper-focusing on the fact that there's a CHICK with a DICK!!!! is unsurprisingly more than a little uncomfortable to transfolks for all manner of reasons!) And 2) they also promoted a cis cosplayer who cosplayed as that character, bulge and all. :fuckoff:

Basically, in short, they took the fictional grotesque commodification of trans bodies - the original point of the in-game ad - and then literally replicated exactly that in the real world. So I say: gently caress 'em.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Feb 10, 2022

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

HopperUK posted:

ME2 originally had a lot of really irritating male-gaze camera work around the character of Miranda. I think they altered it a bit in the recent remasters, though I haven't gotten around to playing those yet.

Is Mass Effect the one that has the female character in a bikini, but it's for story reasons because she breathes (or drinks?) through her skin? Or is that the other series that I always confuse with Mass Effect?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

jjack229 posted:

Is Mass Effect the one that has the female character in a bikini, but it's for story reasons because she breathes (or drinks?) through her skin? Or is that the other series that I always confuse with Mass Effect?

That's metal gear solid 5. In mass effect, Miranda has her tits out because she's genetically engineered to be hot. And Jack has her tits out cause she's punk rock.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Stab posted:

That's metal gear solid 5. In mass effect, Miranda has her tits out because she's genetically engineered to be hot. And Jack has her tits out cause she's punk rock.

I like to imagine she just got all of her tattoos done and literally can't wear extra layers without it hurting a lot

Also no one is bringing up the most ridiculous thing in Mass Effect. It's not the designs, though it's related, it's not anyone's tits. Miranda's breasts aren't even that bad, she's barely got any cleavage in the default outfits, she just wears a space condom like everyone else. She's not the boob person.

It's the fact that in Mass Effect 3, in the original version of the game, you have several meaningful, heartfelt conversations with Miranda's rear end. Her rear end comes to you for help and begs you to save Miranda's sister and you have a whole back and forth with it. Also I think Miranda was there

to explain for those who genuinely don't know, any time the camera can shove itself directly into her crevice, it absolutely does so. In ME3, you have an entire shot reverse shot conversation with her, but the reverse shot is the low rear end angle, so literally she is talking out of her own rear end.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Burkion posted:

to explain for those who genuinely don't know, any time the camera can shove itself directly into her crevice, it absolutely does so. In ME3, you have an entire shot reverse shot conversation with her, but the reverse shot is the low rear end angle, so literally she is talking out of her own rear end.

How come no one told me that Mass Effect was just Ace Ventura The Video Game?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They tried to pull the camera out of her rear end in the remaster as best they could and surprising no one, Certain People were FURIOUS at the censorship. :freep:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
STEVE! [Marauder Shields], good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth