Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm sick at home with COVID and I'm feeling nostalgic. When I was a kid my stepdad used to import anime for us to watch so I'm in the mood for an anime movie, preferably from the 80's, preferably a classic, regardless of genre. Only rule is no sexual assault and no weird sex stuff. I don't want to start watching Vampire Hunter D and all of a sudden be like "Oh yeah I forgot about that horrible rape scene". No need to list Miyazaki films as I've already watched them all to death, but other than that I'm open to whatever. Thanks in advance.

I'll throw in a plug for Night on the Galactic Railroad. It's a signature movie of the classic novel, and practically required watching in case you ever decide to watch Mawaru Penguindrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is sweetness and lightning worth checking out for cooking anime?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Is sweetness and lightning worth checking out for cooking anime?

Yeah it's pretty good

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I just finished Twelve Kingdoms and liked it a lot but got pretty bummed out that it just ends abruptly. Made a nice companion to Yona which I watched right before.

Anyway I知 looking for ancient China themed shows or movies with or without fantasy elements, if anyone has some they壇 like to share!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tatakae!! Ramenman is basically Fist of the North Star set in feudal china.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Sleng Teng posted:

I just finished Twelve Kingdoms and liked it a lot but got pretty bummed out that it just ends abruptly. Made a nice companion to Yona which I watched right before.

Anyway I知 looking for ancient China themed shows or movies with or without fantasy elements, if anyone has some they壇 like to share!

The Twelve Kingdoms anime was adapted from a somewhat popular Japanese novel series, which fortunately has been mostly fan-translated by Eugene Woodbury. The anime covered four novels, which I enjoyed revisiting in book form, but if you want to get to the new material, this is where you'd want to look:

The Wings of Dreams: The backstory of how Shushou became queen of Kyou.
The Shore in Twilight, the Sky at Daybreak: Second in the Taiki trilogy, representatives from several kingdoms work together to try to find Taiki and return him to Tai.
Hills of Silver Ruins, a Pitch Black Moon: Third in the Taiki trilogy, a continuation of the above. This finally came out (as an enormous 4-book set) a couple years ago after an 18 year hiatus, so the translation is still ongoing.

I also really enjoyed the two short story collections, Dreaming of Paradise and Hisho's Birds.

On a similar note, Yona was adapted from a manga, which also continues far beyond the end of the anime.

Regarding other anime, you'll often see Saiunkoku Monogatari mentioned together with Twelve Kingdoms and Yona, but I wouldn't personally recommend it. It definitely has some of the court politics inspired by ancient China, but is much more shoujo, so it's mostly centered on the main character's love interests.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Tatakae!! Ramenman is basically Fist of the North Star set in feudal china.

sounds cool, I'll see where I can find it - thank you!

runawayturtles posted:

The Twelve Kingdoms anime was adapted from a somewhat popular Japanese novel series, which fortunately has been mostly fan-translated by Eugene Woodbury. The anime covered four novels, which I enjoyed revisiting in book form, but if you want to get to the new material, this is where you'd want to look:

The Wings of Dreams: The backstory of how Shushou became queen of Kyou.
The Shore in Twilight, the Sky at Daybreak: Second in the Taiki trilogy, representatives from several kingdoms work together to try to find Taiki and return him to Tai.
Hills of Silver Ruins, a Pitch Black Moon: Third in the Taiki trilogy, a continuation of the above. This finally came out (as an enormous 4-book set) a couple years ago after an 18 year hiatus, so the translation is still ongoing.

I also really enjoyed the two short story collections, Dreaming of Paradise and Hisho's Birds.

I knew that it was from a novel series but I didn't know that there were translations past the fourth one. Thanks for the heads up!

runawayturtles posted:

On a similar note, Yona was adapted from a manga, which also continues far beyond the end of the anime.

Oh yeah I should have mentioned that I started on this - it gets way better after the end of the show lol.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
It's not an anime, but the 2010 Three Kingdoms live action TV series is excellent (although quite the time commitment at 95 episodes).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres also multiple three kingdoms anime, check out Sōten Kōro!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are the Ace Attorney adaptations worth watching if I've played and enjoyed the games already?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Are the Ace Attorney adaptations worth watching if I've played and enjoyed the games already?
Not particularly, the animation is pretty unimpressive and there's not any significant adaptational changes. If you want to go through everything again it might be a more unique alternate to playing the games again? But it is still, 'everything again.'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The bloopers on the English dub where the voice actors start trolling each other are pretty funny. Unless you're not into that stuff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks. Probably pretty boring if you remember the cases from the games then

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
The links to adtrwiki in the OP are broken. The wiki appears to be gone from the internet. The links should probably be removed from the OP.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nebrilos posted:

The links to adtrwiki in the OP are broken. The wiki appears to be gone from the internet. The links should probably be removed from the OP.

I kept on intending to reboot this thread before stepping down as a mod but :effort:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

There's a read-only mirror at https://adtrw.nulani.net/ if you really want to read it, though it's several years "out of date" now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nebrilos posted:

Edited the op with Polsy's link, ty for mentioning this.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I missed the recommendation sticky somehow. I知 looking for martial arts tournament style shows. I really liked how Baki turned up the tropes to 11. Baki Hanma was pretty bad. Kengan Ashura was great, but the racist stereotypes were a shame. Ideally, no underage characters will beg for sex from the adult protagonist in this hypothetical recommendation.

So yeah. MA tournament anime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I missed the recommendation sticky somehow. I’m looking for martial arts tournament style shows. I really liked how Baki turned up the tropes to 11. Baki Hanma was pretty bad. Kengan Ashura was great, but the racist stereotypes were a shame. Ideally, no underage characters will beg for sex from the adult protagonist in this hypothetical recommendation.

Shumatsu no Valkyrie

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I missed the recommendation sticky somehow. I知 looking for martial arts tournament style shows. I really liked how Baki turned up the tropes to 11. Baki Hanma was pretty bad. Kengan Ashura was great, but the racist stereotypes were a shame. Ideally, no underage characters will beg for sex from the adult protagonist in this hypothetical recommendation.

You ever seen G-Gundam?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

That Works posted:

Shumatsu no Valkyrie

Looks rad thanks.

chiasaur11 posted:

You ever seen G-Gundam?

I have not. I知 not big on mech stuff but I値l check it out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Looks rad thanks.

Just a heads up that Shumatsu no Valkyrie is a pretty mediocre adaptation of the Manga, it's a much better read than watching the anime.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will second both reccs of Shuumatsu (manga version) and G-Gundam.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Julias posted:

Just a heads up that Shumatsu no Valkyrie is a pretty mediocre adaptation of the Manga, it's a much better read than watching the anime.

Yup

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

not exactly a rec but really i just wasn't sure what thread would fit this better:

your name is a great movie. i would like to watch it again, but the dub this time, with a friend who does not enjoy subbed anime. however, when i have tried watching the dub online in the past, i found that the dub does not translate the on screen japanese text (which, if you've seen the movie, is a pretty big deal for a few scenes and one of the best, emotionally climatic moments in the movie requires being able to read what someone has written down).

if i buy the dvd will that have those texts translated?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Looking for some weird, offbeat comedy

Shows I loved: Chio's School Road, Asobi Asobase, Hinamatsuri

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

And Yet the Town Moves.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Nichijou, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Sakamoto Desu ga? are all in that absurdist comedy vein.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hmm...

If fantasy is alright, you might like Konosuba.

For some other possible candidates, Tonegawa Middle Management Blues is a spin-off from Kaiji about the middle management of a company that has a sideline in elaborate supervillainy. There's three seasons of Osomatsu San, which might be your speed. Space Patrol Luluco is really short and a bit action-y, but fun. Oh Maidens in your Savage Season is probably a better fit early than late (when it gets more melodramatic), but it had one of the funniest gags I've seen anyway. And then there's Monthly Girl痴 Nozaki Kun.

Any of those sound interesting?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

You might like Joshikousei no Mudadzukai

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Detroit Metal City

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Gintama

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Reik posted:

Gintama

Beat me to it

E: Cromartie

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pop Team Epic

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Seconding Nichijou (probably the best fit of them all), Nozaki-kun, Cromartie and Pop Team Epic. Pop Team Epic is largely a collection of disconnected short gags, Nichijou's similar-ish but there's some overarching continuity and the bits are usually longer, Nozaki-kun is less surreal and mostly focuses on parodying shoujo manga tropes (the character humor is pretty great though), and I haven't seen a lot of Cromartie but what I saw was gold.

I've only seen a few eps of Sakamoto Desu Ga? and Gintama and they're funny enough, but Sakamoto's one joke does begin to overstay its welcome after a while, and I think Gintama cycles between relatively straightforward shonen parody arcs and more general comedy bits, so your mileage may vary (also Gintama goes a lot for that kind of super fast-paced humor that relies on wordplay and Japanese pop culture references, which often doesn't translate super well. This also applies to Cromartie I think).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

seconding And Yet the Town Moves, and also Arakawa Under the Bridge. shaft used to specialize in these sort of shows

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

AnoHito posted:

Pop Team Epic

popteam is along those lines but a lot more intense and unhinged. try it first to know your limits imo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

Seconding Nichijou (probably the best fit of them all), Nozaki-kun, Cromartie and Pop Team Epic. Pop Team Epic is largely a collection of disconnected short gags, Nichijou's similar-ish but there's some overarching continuity and the bits are usually longer, Nozaki-kun is less surreal and mostly focuses on parodying shoujo manga tropes (the character humor is pretty great though), and I haven't seen a lot of Cromartie but what I saw was gold.

I've only seen a few eps of Sakamoto Desu Ga? and Gintama and they're funny enough, but Sakamoto's one joke does begin to overstay its welcome after a while, and I think Gintama cycles between relatively straightforward shonen parody arcs and more general comedy bits, so your mileage may vary (also Gintama goes a lot for that kind of super fast-paced humor that relies on wordplay and Japanese pop culture references, which often doesn't translate super well. This also applies to Cromartie I think).

This is an accurate summary

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Pani Poni Dash is right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School doesn't rely on pop culture references to the point that missing them destroys the jokes. It's excellent. Watch the dub. Watch out for one f-slur in an early episode.