Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1491896739955200000?t=aKUiSnNuFiPgpZPuhjpgow&s=19
https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1491927607222628355?t=3gWKhodlFhrx-RfLuf8BZg&s=19
https://twitter.com/robertlargan/status/1491884799090434051?t=3x1EJhGrwDGm7nO-B12lew&s=19

so do we think Keith is going to be regretting not immediately suspending him tomorrow morning or is he going to try (and probably fail) to ride it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's embarrassing that Jeremy Corbyn didn't suspend him for sending drunken abusive messages to Jeremy Corbyn tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure there are no end to the number of things that starmer cannot be held personally responsible for despite happening under his leadership.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Listening to that Trojan horse podcast. Only into episode 4 but I'm guessing lol the British state just decided to use a batshit defense strategy from a woman who was bang to rights guilty to justify a whole raft of anti Muslim laws. Its all bullshit and everyone in a position of power just went along with it and then quite happily pretended to care about antisemitism and saw no hypocrisy.

We are so hosed.

Kinda. It's loving grim all the way through. Spoilers for part 5: a white teacher's racist new wife saw one man act a little unpleasant to one woman and decided to go on a personal crusade of anonymous letter writing setting herself up as the defender of the oppressed Muslim women who would not, nay, could not, speak out for themselves, and that happening at the same time as the obviously insane fake letter was all the excuse they needed to start cracking skulls.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
imo there's a huge variability in the enjoyability of michelin restos. i've eaten at a few and i'd say that the average quality of that groups is a fair bit higher than the average quality of say, all restaurants, but a lot of the high cost goes to the extremely good service which, frankly, i don't give a poo poo about beyond not bringing out plates that you spit on.

i think that going to an Ultra Fancy food spot is worth it if you're like, a food nerd and want your palate to be challenged, etc., etc. but for a lot of people the experience is not necessarily going to be worth the cost.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1491381518325149702?s=20&t=cHWgJUnjn6o--HQSlepFlg

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Women for wes? Snipes? That kid in star trek?

Specify, women! It's important

Oh... that wes... the bad wes

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

Women for wes? Snipes? That kid in star trek?

Specify, women! It's important

Oh... that wes... the bad wes

It’s a joke account.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's a good thread and those are good ideas, but it baffles me that someone can be intelligent enough to come up with all of those points and still miss that none of that is at all possible while we have a government ideologically opposed to doing anything ever.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's a good thread and those are good ideas, but it baffles me that someone can be intelligent enough to come up with all of those points and still miss that none of that is at all possible while we have a government ideologically opposed to doing anything ever.

I mean she does acknowledge that the UK is just pretending it's not happening.

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1491891811765399554?s=20&t=AIAdm6L23bzLg8LC1QFf3w

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Joe Biden’s mother so disliked England she refused to sleep in bed Queen had slept in

quote:

Joe Biden once revealed his mother so disliked England that she chose to sleep on the floor rather than in a bed in which the Queen of England had previously slept, according to an autobiography written by a comedian.

Georgia Pritchett claims the US leader made the revelation when they met in the White House during his period as vice-president. Pritchett met him because she was conducting research for the hit comedy Veep, on which she had been a co-executive producer and joint writer. They were also making a film tie-in of the show.

Pritchett, who is British, records that her initial conversation with Biden was about Ukraine – from which he had just returned – but this was closed down by his minders.

She wrote: “He changed the subject to how much his mother hated the English. His parents were Irish and she had written several poems about her hatred of the English. He went off to find them and returned with hundreds of poems describing how God must smite the English and rain blood on our heads.”

He also recalled how his mother, Catherine Finnegan – known as Jean – visited the UK and spent a night in a hotel where, she was told, the Queen had once stayed.

“She was so appalled that she slept on the floor all night, rather than risk sleeping on a bed that the Queen had slept on,” Pritchett wrote, adding she personally admired anyone who allowed their principles to take precedence over a comfortable bed.

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm getting tired waiting for Bidens supposed hatred of the English to translate into anything worthwhile - just another broken promise imo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

If that is real then :stare:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dabir posted:

Kinda. It's loving grim all the way through. Spoilers for part 5: a white teacher's racist new wife saw one man act a little unpleasant to one woman and decided to go on a personal crusade of anonymous letter writing setting herself up as the defender of the oppressed Muslim women who would not, nay, could not, speak out for themselves, and that happening at the same time as the obviously insane fake letter was all the excuse they needed to start cracking skulls.

Spoiler for part 5
Oh that woman is absolutely some crusader type.
But the schools defense of "brought kids to a tennis lesson. Discovered the instructor was male, so brought all the female students home" as being "we didn't think it was appropriate for a male tennis coach to teach our female students" and this being uncritically accepted by the hosts was a bit :wth:

Also the teacher who made comments about "waves must submit to their husbands" and how their wasn't a bigger investigation of him. Trying to imply it got ignored because of the Trojan Horse investigation is a bit of a weak answer.

I did finally get to see someone make a very passing reference to the PoEZ.

Edit: So odd.
I downloaded all the episodes of Trojan Horse on Monday.
I listened to episode 5 on Wednesday and deleted it. I went back to register to parts of it, and now it has all these ads for like Zop Recruiter that it hadn't had a few days ago.

And another American Podcast I listen to (My Favourite Murder) has started running Irish ads at the start. So strange.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 11, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The tennis thing sounds more like something that gender criticals would come out with.

Gamete set and match.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Question IRL posted:

Spoiler for part 5
But the schools defense of "brought kids to a tennis lesson. Discovered the instructor was male, so brought all the female students home" as being "we didn't think it was appropriate for a male tennis coach to teach our female students" and this being uncritically accepted by the hosts was a bit :wth:

Also the teacher who made comments about "waves must submit to their husbands" and how their wasn't a bigger investigation of him. Trying to imply it got ignored because of the Trojan Horse investigation is a bit of a weak answer.

I did finally get to see someone make a very passing reference to the PoEZ.

Edit: So odd.
I downloaded all the episodes of Trojan Horse on Monday.
I listened to episode 5 on Wednesday and deleted it. I went back to register to parts of it, and now it has all these ads for like Zop Recruiter that it hadn't had a few days ago.

And another American Podcast I listen to (My Favourite Murder) has started running Irish ads at the start. So strange.

Podcast feeds nowadays can detect the IP you are downloading from and append or even intercut ads into the download, allowing listeners to be served ads local to their area. I guess the first time you downloaded the ad server wasn't working, or wasn't serving ads to your IP, and now it is. Same with the one serving you irish ads, if it's currently set like "european IP > european ads"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was pretty jarring listening to a New York based podcast once and all the ads were for Arnold Clark and The Bed Shed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It also allows them to serve up to date ads - I was catching up on some story podcasts from a few years ago, and was surprised to be getting up-to-date COVID adverts.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Just gathering up my mother's poetry to keep in my desk at work, like a very normal person

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I bet old Mrs Starmer would have done the same (but now Keir would claim he never had a mother)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

kyojin posted:

Just gathering up my mother's poetry to keep in my desk at work, like a very normal person

For anyone who hasn't skimmed the article:

quote:

Veep writer Georgia Pritchett reveals US president’s Irish mother wrote poems calling for God to ‘rain blood’ on the English

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Scotland should immediately declare independence, we'll never get a better deal than with Irish Joe.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Can they make joe biden's mum president instead, she sounds cool

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If there was a god that could rain blood on the English they'd just make sausages out of it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Biden sounds like a twatty old fool.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This guy is gone now

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1492088420700721160?t=fXx9yP96wDG1SzBLrfx6Xw&s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Labour data breach sufferers: was there any more specific "your data is stolen" email than the "Notification of data incident" on the 3rd November last year?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i bet he’ll be on GB news soon enough to rage against woke cancel culture

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ash sarkar posted:

Patel is said to have extended Dick’s term precisely due to the lack of an obvious replacement: Neil Basu, otherwise the most likely successor, is known to have fallen out of favour with Patel due to disagreements about racism.

i assume this is a fight about who can hate immigrants more?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

josh04 posted:

Labour data breach sufferers: was there any more specific "your data is stolen" email than the "Notification of data incident" on the 3rd November last year?

naw, just the email the solicitors asked me to forward

gonna get my subs back one way or the other

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/StevenHowarth12/status/1492057951976177672

Did Boris give her the Foreign Minister job so that he was no longer the worst Foreign Minister this country has ever had?

:gary:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/StevenHowarth12/status/1492057951976177672

Did Boris give her the Foreign Minister job so that he was no longer the worst Foreign Minister this country has ever had?

:gary:
I did think that with Johnson as PM and Truss as Foreign Secretary, by next week the UK will either be at war with Russia or its newest oblast.

(I wonder how much Johnson would love a war on his watch. On the one hand he's an "I just want everyone to adore me" narcissistic coward like Trump, but on the other he's absolutely an imperialist who desperately wants to be compared favourably to Churchill.)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Johnson doesn't have the stomach for war. He may revere Churchill but he isn't a bloodthirsty murderer *side eyes covid figures*.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The Question IRL posted:

Spoiler for part 5

I ended up with very mixed feelings in the end. Overall its a good podcast and there are some serious failings by the Government. But they do also hand wave away some serious concerns. Such as the tennis game and the sex ed class.

The stuff about the humanist society was odd too. They have a line that's something like "they want to end Islamic prayer in schools" framing them as particularly against Islam but they want all religious prayer out. Lots of little things like that where they aren't lying but they withhold certain aspects or frame it in a certain way to bolster their arguments.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Johnson will appease Russia by offering something that isn't his to offer.

kieth will look tough by promising means tested suicide charges against the Russian border.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Private Speech posted:

For anyone who hasn't skimmed the article:

Well... whom amongst us?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Embarrassing that this didn't happen under Corbyn's watch, the man has been a drunken, racist liability for years.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

The problem with useless idiots like Boris & Truss is that previously the tories would have one or two. They'd be relegated to cushy, do-nothing background jobs while the competent but evil people took the front bench.

Now however we've had a few years of Hancock, Gove, Johnson and Truss getting senior enough positions that it feels like the morons are running the show now. They think they're important enough that they should be up front actually doing things.

Johnson appointing Truss is like Cameron appointing Johnson, just moved a lot further down the IQ scale.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2032: The Prime Minister is a slime mold navigating between two pieces of hob nob.
GB News says that we're tired of being talked down to by elitists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Johnson doesn't have the stomach for war. He may revere Churchill but he isn't a bloodthirsty murderer *side eyes covid figures*.

He's also far too lazy and self-indulgent to actually do anything that would earn him a justified comparison with Churchill, be that ordering the RAF to drop gas bombs on Middle Eastern villages or inspiring a national collective effort against an existential threat.

If he genuinely wanted to be Churchillian the pandemic response was the perfect opportunity - tough, society-wide, enforced measures, marshalling the resources of the nation to master the threat beating at our shores, knuckle down, play your part, grin and bear it, Blitz Spirit, Keep Calm And Carry On. All that stuff.

But Johnson just can't be bothered to put in that effort personally and he leads a party (and is backed by an establishment) that is not only entirely opposed to any of that sort of genuine collective effort but can't actually conceive of it. He wants to be Churchill on VE Day, waving to crowds of ecstatic flag-waving citizens as he proclaims final victory but without having to do all the tedious six years of strategising, decision-making and leadership beforehand.

Of course, he might also be remembering what all those cheering crowds did to Churchill eight weeks after VE Day...