Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Trevor Hale posted:

Is there any action I can take when I find out a vassal is trying to kill my wife? Apparently it would be tyrannical to imprison him

Finding out a vassal is scheming normally gives you an imprisonment reason against them. You could murder them.

Or if you don't have a reason, you could set your spy master to discover schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

drat, looks like a nerf to all the Baltic/Scandinavian cultures that aren't Norse. Before this patch, any culture that had the Longships innovation was also eligible for the Pillaging dynasty perk. Now it's explicitly Norse only, not even Swedish/Danish/Norwegian.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Bird in a Blender posted:

Since I’m pretty new, I just learned a powerful lesson in having too many allies. These dickheads want to start their own wars. You’re supposed to wait around for MY war! Doesn’t help that some of them like to start wars they have no hope of winning and get pissed when I don’t send reinforcements.
But that's exactly what you, the player would do! Find some powerful chump with a spare kid and marry your kid to theirs, and then immediately start a war with your neighbour with the intent that their 10k troops (when you have 2k) will carry you to victory.

Guess House Arrest allows conjugal visits?

I finally ground my way from a count in Tibet to King/Queen and am enjoying the Royal Court stuff. Had to murder a baby though, my player heir's heir (so, the character i would intend to play in 2 deaths), who was a Genius, got given away as a Concubine and got knocked up. Managed to kill the dude but not before he could inseminate her.
Was funny that the child's mother was the spymaster at the time, assigned to Support Schemes.

Edit: Also Court Jester has some funny stuff. I got a buff that is "Aspiring Flatulist" *toot* - The icon is a turd

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 11, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

binge crotching posted:

drat, looks like a nerf to all the Baltic/Scandinavian cultures that aren't Norse. Before this patch, any culture that had the Longships innovation was also eligible for the Pillaging dynasty perk. Now it's explicitly Norse only, not even Swedish/Danish/Norwegian.

Yeah I noticed this when I diverged from Norse as Haesteinn. I hope it's a bug because those legacy lines are too dope to lose.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

Guess House Arrest allows conjugal visits?

I mean House Arrest is literally 'they can't leave their house', so yes, presumably they would be allowed visitors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah I noticed this when I diverged from Norse as Haesteinn. I hope it's a bug because those legacy lines are too dope to lose.

Well previously if you started as Norse all you had to do was unlock the first one and you kept the line forever, so Haesteinn probably fine.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wish I knew that, sadly. I took the genetics perk first thing, and as it turns out I could've been sending my idiot sons to the Varangian Guard to get badass all this time if I only did so.

On a sidenote, I suppose part of the appeal of hybrid cultures is racking up tradition slots. I thought you could only ever get 5 traditions but turns out combining my hybrid Norse-Breton culture with French will get me a super-hybrid that has the max of 6 slots. Can't wait!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 11, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mahasamatman posted:

Does anyone know how hybrid cultures work with culture specific decisions? For example, can I form the kingdom of Cornwall as Norse-Cornish or a reformed neocornish or is it literally only for Cornish?

Also, are there cultural unions within groups? I would love to make a custom empire of Welsh, Breton, Cornish but it seems like I have to pick one? I tried the new steward interaction on my Breton territory and it said I can’t promote acceptance within the same culture group.

I think it works with hybrid cultures. I have the form baktria decisions with my punjabi afghan hybrid.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How can my son be the founder of my dynasty? Did he discover time travel?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tamba posted:

How can my son be the founder of my dynasty? Did he discover time travel?

There are several bugs related to the norse dynasties right now, I've seen several listed as Confirmed on the official bug report forum.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Hargrimm posted:

Correct, the intelligence trait is the biggest single factor by far*, basically Genius or Intelligent should be preferred over anything else regardless of their actual attributes. Being a genius gives the educational impact of having 37.5 in every attribute, on top of the actual attribute which is gonna be higher because, again, Genius.

* Technically attending a University is actually the biggest single boost to education, practically guaranteeing a four-star trait, but that's obviously a pretty limited opportunity and costs oodles of gold

Assuming my kid is decidedly averagely-witted, what's the best type of teacher?

I feel like I have this question every time I play and I can never get it down. Educating your heir seems like basically one of the most important decisions you make, but there are so many factors that could be relevant and I can never remember if the game considers them. Like aren't there particular traits that make for good / terrible tutors like patient etc? And there's stuff to do with tutor and student sharing the same culture / religion? What about being close family?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

wit posted:

Figured it out for you. copy to text, put in a minus value for the scale, paste it in.

texture="ce_lion_rampant_per_pale.dds"
instance={
position={ 0.510000 0.440000 }
scale={ -0.710000 0.710000 }
}
Thanks, now my lions are watching on the correct side, also if you could give me the code to edit so the game can stop crashing everytime i enter the throne engine part of the game it would be the perfect add-on.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 11, 2022

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
How's the AI this patch? I'm really interested in buying RC and jumping back in, but I'm wary as big patches in Paradox games tend to break the AI and make it behave in incredibly stupid ways until they fix it. Is this the case here as well?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Guildencrantz posted:

How's the AI this patch? I'm really interested in buying RC and jumping back in, but I'm wary as big patches in Paradox games tend to break the AI and make it behave in incredibly stupid ways until they fix it. Is this the case here as well?

People have reported bugs where the AI armies just stand around doing nothing, or even worse, walking away from the area. I have not noticed any of these though. Your allies are very good at sieging and supporting you in battles, 10/10, I am very happy.
There is one issue with the AI though, that is in pretty much all the paradox games, and that is that the AI will never surrender. They will fight to the bitter end no matter the cause, they will go heavily into debt, have their vassals killed/executed in the war and let their own country get completely ruined no matter the wargoal. For example if you declare war on a huge empire for a single county the AI will happily ruin their entire country forever just to stop you. They will happily surrender to some peasants with 50% army strength though when they send an ultimatum.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

fuf posted:

Assuming my kid is decidedly averagely-witted, what's the best type of teacher?

I feel like I have this question every time I play and I can never get it down. Educating your heir seems like basically one of the most important decisions you make, but there are so many factors that could be relevant and I can never remember if the game considers them. Like aren't there particular traits that make for good / terrible tutors like patient etc? And there's stuff to do with tutor and student sharing the same culture / religion? What about being close family?

Geniuses. Intellect trait matters the most, primary stat/learning second

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well gently caress, here I've just been going purely by the stat I want the kid to learn, like having high martial characters educate martial focus kids etc. Guess my own education traits aren't terribly good. :saddowns:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Nordick posted:

Well gently caress, here I've just been going purely by the stat I want the kid to learn, like having high martial characters educate martial focus kids etc. Guess my own education traits aren't terribly good. :saddowns:

It would be more realistic, certainly a great commander would be better suited for teaching my kids to be a great commander than some nerd. But I guess the tutor position is all about book learning (and eugenics).

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Traits are also important, particularly for your primary heir who you'll be playing as. AI guardians get the same events as you do to shape the kid's personality and their own traits determine what outcome they will choose. If you don't want to play as someone with an annoying trait like Shy that can generate stress all over the place, make sure their guardian doesn't have that trait.

Also the intellect trait of the child actually matters slightly more than that of the guardian. So if you kid is a genius they can afford to have a technically worse guardian skill-wise for the tradeoff of good traits, culture/religion conversion, opinion bonus, etc. Doubly so if you have the bonuses from either a good Court Tutor or the second Kin legacy. If you have either one of those and a genius child, the most likely outcome is 4-star even with a mediocre 10-skill guardian with no intellect trait at all.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just want to know how to get Diligent & Gregarious on all my guys. Humble or Brave would also be acceptable, but Diligent and Gregarious are so good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what are the threads thoughts on the dlc? buy now or wait for a sale?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Don't buy it right now, horrible bugs. Most of the fun stuff is in the patch anyway.

E: the bugs are also in the patch I think

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I made Witchcraft accepted for my own religion on a whim and wow, this poo poo is GOOD. I am currently in the process of inducting everyone in my empire to witchcraft using the "convert to witchcraft" scheme.
It gives you -1 diplomacy but +1 to intrigue and learning AND a +20 relationship bonus with other witches.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 11, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
CK2 After the End Fan Fork update; For the first time since... ever, NeoMoor Florida consolidated under the Great Conquerer event and managed to 1) stay stable, and 2) take a huge chunk out of the Holy Columbian Confederacy. It helps that A) The Holy Columbian Confederacy suffered an independence revolt and lost half its territory, and B) it suffered an invasion from the Consumerists that split off a kingdom.

Too bad the Consumerists are limited to two weakish kingdoms that keep launching ineffectual attacks on stronger states and losing. I like having a giant Consumerist blob or two to fight as an end-game unstoppable force.

I really wish the devs for this mod had consolidated holy sites for a lot of religions though. Consumerism has it really bad. If they start in California they do ok, as they get 2 of the 5 sites, same if they start in Chicago. Anywhere else though and their religious authority is super-weak. Maybe that's WAD though, since it's such a wacky religion idea.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I made Witchcraft accepted for my own religion on a whim and wow, this poo poo is GOOD. I am currently in the process of inducting everyone in my empire to witchcraft using the "convert to witchcraft" scheme.
It gives you -1 diplomacy but +1 to intrigue and learning AND a +20 relationship bonus with other witches.

The witch coven is so good, but I wish it was a dynasty modifier and not a house modifier, or maybe have it come with an extra diplo action just for converting people.

Better would be to make it so that if you have the Witch Coven modifier on your house, everyone is automatically born with either the secret or the trait depending upon criminality. I really hate dedicating every single ruler's entire life to adding my family into the coven, at some point I just give up and ignore it, completely defeating the purpose of forming the coven in the first place.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

binge crotching posted:

The witch coven is so good, but I wish it was a dynasty modifier and not a house modifier, or maybe have it come with an extra diplo action just for converting people.

Better would be to make it so that if you have the Witch Coven modifier on your house, everyone is automatically born with either the secret or the trait depending upon criminality. I really hate dedicating every single ruler's entire life to adding my family into the coven, at some point I just give up and ignore it, completely defeating the purpose of forming the coven in the first place.

If you are a witch you will get the option to induct the person you are a ward for (educating) making all your children automatic members. I hope they too induct their children, haven't played long enough with it to see if they do.

Edit: I also added the "Esoterism" tenent to my religion making everyone that has a learning education gain the mystic trait which gives you access to this decision:
Hold Mystical Communion
+300 learning lifestyle experience
+1 martial and learning
-25% stress gain
+25% stress loss

It lasts for 5 years and you can do it every 5 years. The learning lifestyle/education is seriously overpowered coupled with the health bonuses + whole of body you get. None of my rulers have died before the age of 72 now.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 11, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I hope they too induct their children, haven't played long enough with it to see if they do.

After a generation or two, nope. About half your house will be a witch, the other half you spend your entire life bringing into the coven. And then you die, and repeat it all over with the next ruler.

It's a crazy powerful decision and so good to have, but it needs some TLC from Paradox to make it an automatic thing.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

binge crotching posted:

After a generation or two, nope. About half your house will be a witch, the other half you spend your entire life bringing into the coven. And then you die, and repeat it all over with the next ruler.

It's a crazy powerful decision and so good to have, but it needs some TLC from Paradox to make it an automatic thing.

Yes I agree, I am spending like 90% of my time just making sure every single person of my dynasty has the learning education now and adding the witch stuff to it....we'll see how long I can keep this up without getting bored.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

People have reported bugs where the AI armies just stand around doing nothing, or even worse, walking away from the area. I have not noticed any of these though. Your allies are very good at sieging and supporting you in battles, 10/10, I am very happy.
There is one issue with the AI though, that is in pretty much all the paradox games, and that is that the AI will never surrender. They will fight to the bitter end no matter the cause, they will go heavily into debt, have their vassals killed/executed in the war and let their own country get completely ruined no matter the wargoal. For example if you declare war on a huge empire for a single county the AI will happily ruin their entire country forever just to stop you. They will happily surrender to some peasants with 50% army strength though when they send an ultimatum.

So here's an example of what just happened in a game. I was able to replay it from an autosave and examine what was going on. I, as Ireland invade Wales, call France to arms. France comes, lands and two stacks start sieging the hell out of Wales with me. Then one just kind of hovers around while I and another stack are sieging two cities. Then the two stacks just get up and leave Wales.

What's actually happened is France has entirely emptied out just to fight in an ally war and left itself open to attack from Provence. When Provence declared war, I wasn't told about it. France finished its last job in wales - the siege while the other stack waited by so they could both arrive to defend France together rather than in little piddling amounts. I'm playing on a low difficulty so don't know if all of France would be so goddamn stupid as to go on a welsh vacation on hard or not. Either way, those situations could be at least clarified with an "oh poo poo I left Paris' oven on" update from your ally or something.

With the never back down thing, they rarely have anything to gain from backing down, and if they were too easy to negotiate with then the player could just start unwinnable wars to turn unpressed claims to pressed down the line.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
So as a Norse I adventured in Sicily, raided Rome and got out with the pope head garment which looks like a white charismas tree.
Now I got to do all my duels with that amazing helmet which is basically a weapon by itself, 30 prowess and head swing - guaranteed duel win

Overall this new expansion looks very neat, only a few bugs which were kind of expected

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I really wish that gavelkind would let you choose what's distributed to whom, or that it's based on politics instead of the game playing 52 pickup for you. It makes little sense that my oldest child gets some backwater province, while our primary county goes to my fourth. It's cool that everything's split evenly, but there should be a reason that my heir loses out and doesn't get the ancestral homestead.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

pidan posted:

Don't buy it right now, horrible bugs. Most of the fun stuff is in the patch anyway.

I have experienced 0 of the bugs that have been complained about so far in about 15 hours of playing.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There is some bug with Scandinavian Elective where it doesn't count the votes correctly so if you have created an Empire, or are about to, as a Norse character you should probably wait for a patch. The bug doesn't seem to happen right away, it can take a few generations to show up.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I have experienced 0 of the bugs that have been complained about so far in about 15 hours of playing.

There is a huge amount of bugs in the new patch/DLC but personally I have not seen any apart from the fact that vassals create/join factions even while at 100 relationship after a succession. The only way I've found to get them out of factions so far is to give them a title. You can see the bug reports here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forums/crusader-kings-iii-bug-report.1077/

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 11, 2022

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I'm just following my own time-honoured tradition of waiting until the first patch after the expansion to play.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

pidan posted:

I have played every night since launch and haven't seen anything horrible. I am sure there are bugs affecting some mechanics that I might not even notice but the experience is smooth for me so far.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I'm a suni seljuk offshoot, I have the southern coast of asia minor and the entire duchy of anatolia, how the gently caress do I form RUM?

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 11, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011

MikeC posted:

I have played every night since launch and haven't seen anything horrible. I am sure there are bugs affecting some mechanics that I might not even notice but the experience is smooth for me so far.

A few things should have flags checked but dont. Like people petition to be your poet. But aren't poets. So quit. Or factions are formed against you by children. Who can't form factions, so stop. This one seems to repeat over and over. One guy has twice accidentally plotted to murder himself and apparently chaste people can't learn foreign languages because they must have just copy/pasted the checks from seduction scheme.

Eldoop posted:

Managed to gently caress myself real bad on succession just now lmao. I started as the Duke of Toulouse and managed to conquer most of Aquitane and a good chunk of Burgundy, but couldn't form either because of still being a vassal to France, and I couldn't remove myself from France because the king and I were friends. So I figured oh well I'll just have to spend a little while reuniting things after I die and then my heir can take care of that, he's never even met the king so what will he care. But uh oh! Turns out if your heir is your grandkid they don't get those claims! So now I'm back to square one with just Toulouse and a couple random counties. Lesson learned I guess!

e: Oh and of course all my aunts and uncles who inherited those duchies have claims on my poo poo lol, didn't even think about that. I think it may be time to start a new game.

VV: You've been left with nothing Toulouse then?

wit fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 11, 2022

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Managed to gently caress myself real bad on succession just now lmao. I started as the Duke of Toulouse and managed to conquer most of Aquitane and a good chunk of Burgundy, but couldn't form either because of still being a vassal to France, and I couldn't remove myself from France because the king and I were friends. So I figured oh well I'll just have to spend a little while reuniting things after I die and then my heir can take care of that, he's never even met the king so what will he care. But uh oh! Turns out if your heir is your grandkid they don't get those claims! So now I'm back to square one with just Toulouse and a couple random counties. Lesson learned I guess!

e: Oh and of course all my aunts and uncles who inherited those duchies have claims on my poo poo lol, didn't even think about that. I think it may be time to start a new game.

Eldoop fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 11, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm a suni seljuk offshoot, I have the southern coast of asia minor and the entire duchy of anatolia, how the gently caress do I form RUM?

Check the decisions tab. You need the duchies of Anatolia, Cibyrrhaeot, Cappadocia, Charsianon, Paphlagonia, Armeniac, and Chaldia.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The only flagrant bug I've seen is some faction spam thing, where my vassals keep forming factions and immediately disbanding them, several times a month. Annoying in itself, and it also resulted in a surprise civil war when I didn't notice an actual functioning faction that snuck in amidst all the spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

wit posted:

VV: You've been left with nothing Toulouse then?

I unpaused and immediately caught my mother loving an ox in my stables, so. Yes.