Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

no, the "fusion doesn't do anything better than fission" part

no he’s right, fusion is worthless. wunderwaffen will not save us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also we already have fusion weapons and have had them since the beginning of the cold war so that argument makes no sense.

Technically we could also have already had fusion energy too if we did that proposal where we detonate nukes in a giant cavern filled with water :v:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

Also we already have fusion weapons and have had them since the beginning of the cold war so that argument makes no sense.

Please don't be so simple as to equate a cascading fission or fission reaction used in a bomb as the same thing as a controlled fission or fusion chain reaction

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Please don't be so simple as to equate a cascading fission or fission reaction used in a bomb as the same thing as a controlled fission or fusion chain reaction

Maybe I am just shouting into the void but modern fusion energy research has pretty much zero crossover into weapons research is more what I am saying.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we could’ve started switching the worlds power generation over to fission on a much larger scale any time in the last 70 days. we could start today if we gave a gently caress. china is doing an incredible job working on new nuke reactors. fission could power the world today, fusion could maybe do the same thing (maybe, 30-50 years from now). fusion is worthless for anything other than making bigger nukes.

when the problem is, “there’s no political will” (aka the billionaire pedophiles in charge of society refuse to spend the money), there exists no fantasy tech solution. those same billionaire pedophiles aren’t going to spend their fortunes building free fusion reactors for poor countries. capitalism is just gonna keep growing wherever it can, growing like a cancer until it blocks our collective windpipe and kills us all. the West will nuke China to death before it willingly allows them build fusion reactors to save the world from climate change.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Fusion's not "worthless" in that it isn't not worth pursuing since there is cool stuff you can do with space propulsion using fusion, but it's not going to fix climate change yeah. Even the most generous LCOE analysis shows fusion costing as much as fission nuclear plants since they'd be just as complex but in other ways unique to fusion, so why would Regional Energy Company spend the money to build a plant when they can buy MWs of PV capacity from Chinese factories for a quarter of the price?

I sort of casually follow fusion and I've kinda flipped over the last year from being optimistic to being pessimistic, I still think it's going to "happen" but the tritium supply problem and the cost is going to keep it from being practical.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Where are my flying cars and atomic tittyball powerplants

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Maybe I am just shouting into the void but modern fusion energy research has pretty much zero crossover into weapons research is more what I am saying.

honestly i was mainly thinking of the parts of the work being done using supercomputers funded and built to model weapons like all the DOE stuff

https://www.exascaleproject.org/research-project/wdmapp/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

flying cars are called helicopters and you don't get one

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Power is stored in the balls

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

flying cars are called helicopters and you don't get one

You can get a personal helicopter for surprisingly little, but it’s a bad idea for a whole host of reasons.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

honestly i was mainly thinking of the parts of the work being done using supercomputers funded and built to model weapons like all the DOE stuff

https://www.exascaleproject.org/research-project/wdmapp/

Oh yeah for sure, DOE supercomputers are all weapons all the time. It's ironic too because I'm pretty sure anyone with institutional knowledge on how to actually build physical weapons have died or retired (doubly ironic because we had a hard enough time refurbishing the arsenal in the 2000's, can't imagine the situation is any better 20 years later) so all the time spent running sims on these supercomputers will make hypothetical number go up but probably will never be put to use.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I guess fusion finally being invented will just serve to deflate any momentum climate change activists would have built as the situation gets worse.

"Oh, we have a proof of concept of sci fi energy generation that people say is limitless and solves all problems? Okay gently caress it"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Justin Tyme posted:

I sort of casually follow fusion and I've kinda flipped over the last year from being optimistic to being pessimistic, I still think it's going to "happen" but the tritium supply problem and the cost is going to keep it from being practical.

how much tritium do you need anyway? i mean it's something you can produce in a fission reactor, although i'll admit i don't really known what kind of neutron flux you'd need to get kilograms of the stuff reasonably quickly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

how much tritium do you need anyway? i mean it's something you can produce in a fission reactor, although i'll admit i don't really known what kind of neutron flux you'd need to get kilograms of the stuff reasonably quickly

there's enough for ITER to perform its testing and literally thats it

the only way fusion (well, D-T fusion) is successful is if they (beyond maintaining the plasma generation) successfully manage to create a tritium breeder with lithium getting hit from stray neutrons

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Loucks posted:

You can get a personal helicopter for surprisingly little, but it’s a bad idea for a whole host of reasons.

Don't get a helicopter for personal use. Those are for killing rich people.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

How about you fuse a wick to some animal fat for light like a real man technophiles

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'd really like for there to be a crash program to build/rebuild the nuclear infrastructure but gotta burn that coal and oil

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't get a helicopter for personal use. Those are for killing rich people.

If you can get a helicopter you are rich, qed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

when you buy a loot box and it has a rare skin inside. game changer

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

loving 5°c and raining for last few days in Toronto in early Feb

s'all good tho back down to -17° tomorrow

s'all good tho back up to 8° by Wednesday

lol this is was the deepest month of winter

:unsmigghh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mediaphage posted:

there's enough for ITER to perform its testing and literally thats it

the only way fusion (well, D-T fusion) is successful is if they (beyond maintaining the plasma generation) successfully manage to create a tritium breeder with lithium getting hit from stray neutrons

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Justin Tyme posted:

Fusion's not "worthless" in that it isn't not worth pursuing since there is cool stuff you can do with space propulsion using fusion, but it's not going to fix climate change yeah. Even the most generous LCOE analysis shows fusion costing as much as fission nuclear plants since they'd be just as complex but in other ways unique to fusion, so why would Regional Energy Company spend the money to build a plant when they can buy MWs of PV capacity from Chinese factories for a quarter of the price?

even if tritium isn’t a limiting factor, it still has many of the same problems fission has: huge capital investments required to build a plant, production of irradiated waste material (even if it’s low-level stuff), people flipping the gently caress out over the world nuclear.

those same issues with fission could be fixed with investment, education, and government policy. but they wont be. instead, our entire global economy has become a slave to the whims of cybernetic capitalism’s dysfunctional death-drive for infinite profits, and liberalism is fundamentally incapable of implementing any of the necessary reforms. perfect fusion won’t change the reasons why fission is dead everywhere except china.

that’s why fusion is worthless. because we live in this world, and not some other. because our nuclear-armed pedo billionaires want it this way, and not some other way, and they prefer apocalypse over communism. so in every practical sense, fusion is just another masturbatory thought experiment like O’Neill cylinders at the Lagrange points: intriguing but pointless.

if china perfects fusion? good for them. maybe they can carry on the light of human civilization when everywhere else goes dark. but they’ll be facing one hell of an uphill battle to just to survive, given how our extinction event has been playing out so far.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I mean we held hostage their princess because they started making better phone polls?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how does a market based solution lead to this disaster?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Fly Molo posted:

even if tritium isn’t a limiting factor, it still has many of the same problems fission has: huge capital investments required to build a plant, production of irradiated waste material (even if it’s low-level stuff), people flipping the gently caress out over the world nuclear.

those same issues with fission could be fixed with investment, education, and government policy. but they wont be. instead, our entire global economy has become a slave to the whims of cybernetic capitalism’s dysfunctional death-drive for infinite profits, and liberalism is fundamentally incapable of implementing any of the necessary reforms. perfect fusion won’t change the reasons why fission is dead everywhere except china.

that’s why fusion is worthless. because we live in this world, and not some other. because our nuclear-armed pedo billionaires want it this way, and not some other way, and they prefer apocalypse over communism. so in every practical sense, fusion is just another masturbatory thought experiment like O’Neill cylinders at the Lagrange points: intriguing but pointless.

if china perfects fusion? good for them. maybe they can carry on the light of human civilization when everywhere else goes dark. but they’ll be facing one hell of an uphill battle to just to survive, given how our extinction event has been playing out so far.

not an empty quote

e; those tittayballs own tho, would have loved a npp like that, instead we got

a pretty nice pair down at diablo canyon

the death star orb over in ballston:haw: spa

The Protagonist has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Feb 12, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

yay

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Every town should have a nuclear reactor and everyone should work there

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lmao carbon capture rules

https://twitter.com/_david_ho_/status/1492249269046235147?t=7LmTc59Zf9nhnMY1MW1mOw&s=19

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/andre_mihaescu/status/1491934711593287709

Birds dead. Totally normal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

supposedly flocks of birds get spooked and slam into the ground semi regularly

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/Peters_Glen/status/1492420829166063618

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

setting aside the fact that it's a twitter poll, you can't have a mass extinction of a single species, so "mass human extinction" is a nonsensical phrase that people may be interpreting to mean either "mass death" or "human extinction" as they see fit

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Dustcat posted:

setting aside the fact that it's a twitter poll, you can't have a mass extinction of a single species, so "mass human extinction" is a nonsensical phrase that people may be interpreting to mean either "mass death" or "human extinction" as they see fit
It's pretzel cope logic
https://twitter.com/Peters_Glen/status/1492420835847643141

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Egg Moron posted:

Every town should have a nuclear reactor and everyone should work there

unironically agree

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Basic Poster posted:

Thank you for this. I can't tell you how glad I am to have it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

supposedly flocks of birds get spooked and slam into the ground semi regularly

probably fewer would die if they were hitting dirt instead of concrete

I hate cars

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This is, unsarcastically, normal flock behaviour. It is totally normal.

Plenty of poo poo is posted to Twitter by idiots who don't understand it or who want to actively misrepresent it. Hard to tell which this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Those birds illustrate the dangers of doomerism leading to suicidal behavior. Sad to see