Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MF_James posted:

PDQ just bought smartdeploy, which is an imaging and agent based software control tool, so PDQ might finally be getting an agent and able to manage remote devices. I assume at minimum a year out since they have to integrate.

This is cool because when they built an agent in house they kept having problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Since when can't you deploy scheduled tasks with GPO?

They never show up on the machines (the GPO applies to the machine, though)

A lot of these are factory floor machines so we can reboot them at 2am or whatever. The rest are office worker laptops that people never turn off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's gpresult say?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

What's gpresult say?

It shows the GPO like you would expect. But the task is never created.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not sure how they are doing it with Intune and frankly I don’t care, but our desktop team has a large reboot nagger that pops up frequently if your laptop hasn’t been rebooted for more than a couple of weeks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

It shows the GPO like you would expect. But the task is never created.

I wonder if the tasks are being created as the system user

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Not sure how they are doing it with Intune and frankly I don’t care, but our desktop team has a large reboot nagger that pops up frequently if your laptop hasn’t been rebooted for more than a couple of weeks.

Ours aren't in intune yet...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you don't have access to your RMM/MDM tools, fix that first.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

If you don't have access to your RMM/MDM tools, fix that first.

We can't buy anything until we get rid of the MSP (a few months?)

I was hired and so was a helpdesk person. They are just an annoyance at this point. And now my boss keeps buying a mishmash of vulnerability scanning products and antivirus and dlp and patch management instead of trying to buy stuff that makes sense.

We might hire a security person next!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I understand there's a certain CISO in the market right now...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

Vulnerability scanning products!

Nothing better that your director demanding fun stuff like this, demanding reports, then having zero idea what any of it means.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

This is cool because when they built an agent in house they kept having problems with it.

They just didn't have the in-house skills to make a scalable non-connection-stable agent. They tried as all hell, which was interesting to see. These acquisitions are really in the right directions for em: the "windows+domain+LAN" paradigm worked well for a long time but it's definitely a post-ADDC domain world. If they're owned by a equity partner going out and doing M&A for the tools they need to make really good value sense.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Our backup software doesn't appear to be able to restore hyper v machines to azure

Can I just restore the files to some storage and convert them to an azure vm or import them or soemthing? Just thinking about it waiting at a light in the car, I guess I'll play with it tomorrow

MSP wants to do Azure disaster recovery but we don't really need or want to pay for a replicated environment with near instant cutover

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just use Azure Site Recovery if that's the objective. Azure isn't just another Hyper-V host and the work required to migrate a Hyper-V machine to Azure is not insignificant.

Trying to restore Hyper-V backups into Azure while the poo poo is in the fan and people are breathing down your neck to get things up is going to be a waste of the money you spend getting it ready, and it will disappoint. Have a minimal amount of VMs running in Azure all the time for things like AD and DNS, buy them on reserved instances so they're cheap.

Presumably these are a bunch of really niche applications that need babysitting all the time as opposed to things that cluster nicely like Exchange, AD etc.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yeah replication to azure is cheap as hell

actually test your cloud networking at design load sometime, save yourself surprises

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

Just use Azure Site Recovery if that's the objective. Azure isn't just another Hyper-V host and the work required to migrate a Hyper-V machine to Azure is not insignificant.

Trying to restore Hyper-V backups into Azure while the poo poo is in the fan and people are breathing down your neck to get things up is going to be a waste of the money you spend getting it ready, and it will disappoint. Have a minimal amount of VMs running in Azure all the time for things like AD and DNS, buy them on reserved instances so they're cheap.

Presumably these are a bunch of really niche applications that need babysitting all the time as opposed to things that cluster nicely like Exchange, AD etc.

Yea but in fairness you don’t even need an appliance to migrate Hyper-V on prem to Azure, so i would rate it as ‘could do this poo poo in my sleep’ on a scale of that to I want shove all these app owners into a rocket and pilot it to the sun myself.

Edit: also I have literally never seen azure site recovery used for DR because it’s a huge pain in the rear end. It’s mostly a vehicle to convince you to migrate. Would be way shittier than just migrating

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 11, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have 4 servers in Azure now

Our 2 factor server (digital persona)
web application proxy in a DMZ for said 2 factor software
a domain controller
ADFS

We have roughly 25 servers on-prem

pair of domain controllers
pair of file servers (5TB?)
pair of print servers (none of these are redundant pairs, one of each is the 'old' one)
pair of Zscaler connectors
Azure connector
Trend Micro AV server
SmartDeploy server
data collector for SIEM
Cisco wifi controller appliance
Fortianalyzer appliance
LibreNMS
zabbix proxy for MSP
licensing server
some CAD thing
lansweeper
MSP 'tools' server
heat treat server
cnc machine server

Another 2-3 that I can't remember. Our other location is about half the size but similar. They make propellers or springs or some poo poo I don't know.

Half of that poo poo is going to be useless if we go tits up. We're a giant CNC shop, basically. If something like a fire hit the building, we aren't going to get those giant machines replaced or fixed any time soon.

This isn't us but basically we have a bunch of machines that make stuff like this

All of our 'business' stuff is in Microsoft Dynamics 365. Our mail is Exchange 365 as well. In theory we could just spin everything up wherever, and then connect with a VPN and everything would be back to normal. We're moving more and more files into Sharepoint. That 5TB is going to take for-loving-ever to restore.

We're doing a DR plan right now so that's why it came up. In all honesty we'd just find whatever servers we could and take them over to our MSP since they have a 10gb circuit and just start restoring whatever we need.

The MSP is trying to get us to go with some disaster recovery as a service DRaaS outfit. "These guys will bring a trailer over with a generator and a bunch of servers and a satellite dish internet connection so you can be back online!" :haw:

I almost want to just buy two Dell R740's and just get a 1/2 rack at a data center in the other side of the state. Be easy as pie to restore all of our poo poo to that.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Is it possible to get machine-based wifi auth working while using a cert self signed by the NPS server? Just trying to gauge whether I should bite bullet and buy a cert from a CA since I don't really want to stand up a whole new PKI just to auth 50ish computers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sporkstand posted:

I don't really want to stand up a whole new PKI just to auth 50ish computers.

Why not it’s fun

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

To answer your question, I think it will work for computers where you can pre-install the cert in a trusted store

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You can use any cert for that, doesn't need to be trusted by the client at all. Only the auth server should, but not even that is a hard requirement technically.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Thanks. I'm trying to lock down this wifi so that only members of an AD security group can auth to it. In my testing, it works with no issues if the security group contains users, the user just gets prompted for the AD creds and access is granted. However, if I switch to a group that contains computer objects, it no longer works. Same self-signed cert used for both network policies. I've tried manually importing the cert into the computer's Trusted Root CA store and into the Personal store for the computer. I've also tried distributing the same cert via a GPO and run into the same issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This might not overlap completely with what you're trying to do, but it describes certificate auth without a load of PKI infrastructure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mg8p6rOLhA

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sporkstand posted:

Thanks. I'm trying to lock down this wifi so that only members of an AD security group can auth to it. In my testing, it works with no issues if the security group contains users, the user just gets prompted for the AD creds and access is granted. However, if I switch to a group that contains computer objects, it no longer works. Same self-signed cert used for both network policies. I've tried manually importing the cert into the computer's Trusted Root CA store and into the Personal store for the computer. I've also tried distributing the same cert via a GPO and run into the same issue.

You need to set the client to use computer authentication manually or through policy. You can debug by using the computer account instead of certificates.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

SEKCobra posted:

You need to set the client to use computer authentication manually or through policy. You can debug by using the computer account instead of certificates.

That was it! Had the authentication set to 'User'. Rookie mistake on my part, thanks for helping me get it sorted!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm looking for a file copy tool that will sync files in a particular folder with another folder on a network share and it has to keep running when the user logs out. I was looking into Bittorrent clients because I want to saturate the connection (and because I don't think SMB transfers can continue upon logout) but as far as I can tell there's no way to automatically create torrent files to enable point to point transfers such that if a user puts a file into a particular folder it is automatically synched to a remote folder. So I've been searching for other options and I came across ones like Seafile, but it seems like overkill for this particular use case.

Here's the actual scenario:

1. A microsope generates 8TB of data (in roughly 500GB sized files) during an acquisition session. It's saved to a local NVMe drive.
2. The data needs to be transferred to a network share. The computer has a 10GB NIC but the application won't acquire directly to the network share - we think it's the transfer rate but whatever the reason, it becomes unstable and the run dies.
3. The data needs to be transferred in the background so that the next user can login and begin their session on the scope without having to wait hours for the previous user's data to finish copying.

What sort of tools should I be looking at?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Maybe the destination could pull via Rsync out something similar?
Alternately a third host that managed the transfer via some tool (again Rsync comes to mind.).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thanks, I hadn't considered simply sharing the files on the scope computer. Our instrument network is pretty heavily locked down and I know there's a standard policy to not enable endpoint file sharing, but it could still be an option here so I'll look into it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Personally, I'd want to keep poking at that issue with the intermittent network share connection until I was certain there's no way to fix it. It definitely sounds like it would be the most straightforward solution, if it can be made to work.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Powershell can implement a file system watcher using C# libraries to look at a folder and when a file is written there, trigger some automation like creating a torrent or whatever. Can provide sample script if necessary.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, that sounds pretty interesting. Please share!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Not sure which thread it was, but someone within the last month or so threw out a link to an article about setting up patching GPOs, which I thought I had saved, but apparently did not. Might have been Thanks Ants that posted it? I can't for the life of me find it though, if anyone can link again I'd be super greatful.

I have literally never had to deal with patch management as we've always had an RMM system that handled it all and someone else dealt with it, but now I'm getting tossed a client that has no WSUS server and like 100+ PCs that aren't patching correctly via windows update (they also want to try to block the win11 update) so I need to get up to speed quickly I suppose.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Use Windows Update for Business.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-manage-updates-wufb

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This was the link I think you're referring to

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/why-you-shouldn-t-set-these-25-windows-policies/ba-p/3066178

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, everything seems to be in order based on cursory looking but they're still not updating and I'm looking for more real world examples to see if something is wrong somewhere or at least a better explanation of all the possible policies involved.

Sweet thanks.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

This. I turned off WSUS a year ago and it's the best decision I've made in awhile.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cloud Trust seems to have launched to preview with very little noise:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/hello-hybrid-cloud-trust

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have tested Cloud Trust with a small group and it's all good so far. Just bear in mind that the prerequisites for the client OS include patches that are very new (they are February Cumulative Update previews) and unlikely to already be installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Are we ever going to get Azure user writeback? It's been 6 years since they shitcanned it.