Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Its almost like some event happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

infernal machines posted:

i know the 90s were a long time ago now but did everyone just forget about the threat of radical right wing domestic terrorists or something?

Uhh they fixed that problem by hiring them to be the police

Fuckin pay attention people, the police support these people, that's why they look "organized", it's because you can organize literally anything when the police are on your side, it's not hard

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/ConsumerSOS/status/1492187865865990144

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

I've already decided to go out in the climate apocalypse and you won't convince to settle for some 2nd rate pandemic instead :colbert:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 29, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

early to mid 90s you couldn't throw a rock without hitting an incredibly unflattering depiction of right-wing radical militias in the media.

30 years later and no one know what the gently caress even

we're so beset by crises that trying to remember them all is almost impossible.

wasn't this one of Mark Fisher's points in Capitalist Realism? that we just live in a continuous present, unable to make new memories, unable to integrate anything?

quote:

The memory disorder that is the correlative of this
situation is the condition which afflicts Leonard in Memento,
theoretically pure anterograde amnesia. Here, memories prior to
the onset of the condition are left intact, but sufferers are unable
to transfer new memories into long term memory; the new
therefore looms up as hostile, fleeting, un-navigable, and the
sufferer is drawn back to the security of the old. The inability to
make new memories: a succinct formulation of the postmodern
impasse ....
If memory disorder provides a compelling analogy for the
glitches in capitalist realism, the model for its smooth functioning
would be dreamwork. When we are dreaming, we forget, but
immediately forget that we have done so; since the gaps and
lacunae in our memories are Photoshopped out, they do not
trouble or torment us. What dreamwork does is to produce a
confabulated consistency which covers over anomalies and
contradictions...

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Its almost like some event happened?

Waco?

I remember the media dragging Reno over that mess was pretty intense and they seemed a bit gunshy ever since

I'm guessing you meant 9/11

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitch.tv/themayor_mccheese

injunction granted and arrests starting at 7pm? the stream is listening to some shortwave radio also

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

freedom means i get to do whatever i want without limitations at all times and if it impacts anybody else that is not my problem. anything less is tyranny
What sticks in my head is a comparison to drivers licenses and road rules.

Requiring me to prove I can drive safely through highly unreasonable and costly means of driving school and multiple license tests is an abridgement of my personal freedom of movement. The accommodations of "just take the bus" or "walk" are not enough. This requirement for a license impedes my ability to work.

So what if I want to drive on the sidewalk? If you don't feel safe, get off the sidewalk, stay at home! The rest of us just want to *live*!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I've basically resigned myself to never going to a bar, show, event, date, or crowded restaurant ever again. I don't even want to go grocery shopping on the weekend because it's too crowded.

In BC in Oct/Nov with vaccine passports required I started going back to restaurants and movies. It was great. I left 5+ days between seeing people or doing something unmasked so if I saw any symptoms I would know where/who to contact. Then omicron showed up, and I stopped going out again.

We can get back to this place, I think, with a mix of public health measures and boosters/new vaccine development. But not if we keep rolling everything back prematurely. It’s so weird, it feels like business and public health interests should align so I’m surprised we keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/adishsoup/status/1492254372830617611

https://twitter.com/Kees71234/status/1492249025457926150

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Durf posted:

Waco?

I remember the media dragging Reno over that mess was pretty intense and they seemed a bit gunshy ever since

I'm guessing you meant 9/11

the most generous thing i can say is the cops don't want another Oka and definitely not one with white kids and livestreams involved

e: that military guy is in poo poo for his video: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/military-officer-pandemic-video-gagetown-1.6348166

lol

quote:

A Canadian Army officer in New Brunswick is under investigation after calling for other military members and police to rise up over vaccination and pandemic restrictions.

Maj. Stephen Chledowski spoke in uniform in a seven-minute video Thursday, describing government actions during the pandemic as tyranny. He went on to describe vaccination for COVID-19 as "genocide."

Daniel Le Bouthillier, the head of media relations for the Canadian Forces, confirmed in an email that Chledowski is an active member of the military based at 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown.

"We are investigating the incident and will be taking appropriate action," Le Bouthillier said in the statement without specifying what that action may be.

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Feb 11, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

let's goooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cold on a Cob posted:

the most generous thing i can say is the cops don't want another Oka and definitely not one with white kids and livestreams involved

e: that military guy is in poo poo for his video: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/military-officer-pandemic-video-gagetown-1.6348166

lol

oh poo poo it is real. everybody was saying that the patches were fake. I genuinely have no idea either way.

is there something about the air force? I've known one other officer in the air force and he once carefully and calmly explained to me how every race could have its own country to live in.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RCAF is full of dipshits and weren’t humbled/traumatized by Afghanistan.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Karach posted:

oh poo poo it is real. everybody was saying that the patches were fake. I genuinely have no idea either way.

is there something about the air force? I've known one other officer in the air force and he once carefully and calmly explained to me how every race could have its own country to live in.

What about mixed race people? Would you get dual citizenship or more?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

Why censor it like this lol

I'm not going to go into any details but the entire thesis of the post was that everyone reading it should commit suicide immediately. Reading that kind of thing can be very harmful for some people, so I removed it. That's all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I'm not going to go into any details but the entire thesis of the post was that everyone reading it should commit suicide immediately. Reading that kind of thing can be very harmful for some people, so I removed it. That's all.

you did the right thing, it was vile tbh

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Love yourself and everyone around you

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i know the 90s were a long time ago now but did everyone just forget about the threat of radical right wing domestic terrorists or something?

they were sort of a joke then. like Stern would have klansmen on and they were just seen as the last gasp of a bygone age.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fried Watermelon posted:

I tried to go deeper with him on this, but we were drinking a lot of homemade mead at the time, so things got a bit fuzzy. I think he just wanted a very polite genocide.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

oh holy poo poo. I took a break from posting for a while and forgot a lot but you mentioning those initials just brought back a lot of memories lol

How could you forget our favourite ethic Han

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

isn't that straight up sedition? seems like that would be "a big deal" for an active member of the armed force, in uniform or otherwise. that guy has hosed himself real good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

isn't that straight up sedition? seems like that would be "a big deal" for an active member of the armed force, in uniform or otherwise. that guy has hosed himself real good.

it absolutely is lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do we still shoot people for that in CF?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

seems like that would be "a big deal"
yeah man calling the government you serve traitors, on video, in uniform, is a pretty big deal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm going to guess this guy is an idiot but also a dyed in the wool believer because that's a step beyond loving around for the lols

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

QR&O says that should send him to the Detention Barracks in Edmonton and then a tribunal, so his command will either be calling the Redcaps right now, or we’ll see another government institution paralyzed and unable to act.

Also honking has started up again and the rumour is that the protesters want to throw down if anything happens to the guys in Windsor at 1900, so that’ll be interesting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

do we still shoot people for that in CF?

sedition is 14 years max :( treason is life

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the monkey's paw curls

Germany, 1930 posted:

After the September elections, not just Germany but the world outside had to take notice of Hitler. In the immediate aftermath of his electoral triumph, the trial of three young Reichswehr officers from a regiment stationed in Ulm, whose Nazi sympathies saw them accused of ‘Preparing to Commit High Treason’ through working towards a military putsch with the NSDAP and breaching regulations banning members of the Reichswehr from activities aimed at altering the constitution, gave Hitler the chance, now with the eyes of the world’s press on him, of underlining his party’s commitment to legality. The trial of the officers, Hanns Ludin, Richard Scheringer, and Hans Friedrich Wendt, began in Leipzig on 23 September. On the first day, Wendt’s defence counsel, Hans Frank, was given permission to summon Hitler as a witness. Two days later, huge crowds demonstrated outside the court building in favour of Hitler as the leader of the Reichstag’s second largest party went into the witness-box to face the red-robed judges of the highest court in the land.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wait, you guys said it was an Air Force officer?

That’s an Artillery officer and I know him. lol oh gently caress.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

TELL US MORE

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

Wait, you guys said it was an Air Force officer?

people itt keep mixing up CAF and RCAF

but more importantly

CLAM DOWN posted:

TELL US MORE

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CLAM DOWN posted:

TELL US MORE

He’s one of the most senior officers at the School.

I didn’t work under him directly, but… this is uh not great. The school is supposed to be where the most switched on, committed, expert Gunners are, Never Pass a Fault and all that. I mean, it’s also used as a dumping ground for unliked, unwanted and otherwise useless officers from the Shooting Regiments, so I’d have to know more. The pot brownie was under his watch though, I think that made national news so I’m not blowing the lid of anything here, so if he wrote the paperwork that crucified that girl lol.

I’m going to see if he’s mentioned in our trade papers.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Feb 12, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
what a delightful turn of events.

ground control to major chud. take your protein pills and put your MAGA hat on.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Frosted Flake posted:

He’s one of the most senior officers at the School.

why the gently caress is most of the text in english but the caption is in french?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is this dramatic irony?

The good news is he’s not in Advanced Training Cell and wasn’t on the JTAC or Surveillance and Target Acquisition courses. Let’s see what else.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Fried Watermelon posted:

Lol I once saw an academic talk that went into how mixed race handled in Apartheid South Africa. Eventually they ended up throwing the kid into a playground with other kids deemed by the government to be the one race, then into a playground with kids deemed to be the other race. Whichever kids the kid got along better with, they'd decide that was the kids race forever.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
really looking forward to seeing how this judge plans on enforcing his order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Koirhor posted:

really looking forward to seeing how this judge plans on enforcing his order

there's a lot less people around the border gates now but there's also a lot of cops surrounding them waiting

T-minus 45 minutes