Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm going into this as blind as possible so I'm not looking for answers, but I'm super curious about the magic summons/pets. It seems like the most novel combat addition so I plan to focus on it on my first playthrough. I'm looking forward to seeing whether they scale based on stats, how many there are, what utilities they'll cover, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Those requirements have me nervous will a 1040 be ok do you think

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Poland Spring posted:

If you can play DS3 or Sekiro on your PC you'll be able to play this. Due to being open world you may need to lower a few graphics options but should be alright.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Poland Spring posted:

steam store page has removed them again

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Re: system requirements: The 3GB 1060 is substantially worse than the 6GB 1060. If you have a 970 or whatever, it's fine. And I bet they overshot the CPU requirements. If you have a CPU that's a bit older/worse, then it's probably also fine. Though that goon with a first-gen i7 is probably boned, that thing is way too old. Thankfully, Steam has an easy refund policy. Just buy the game and refund it if it doesn't work well.

Canuckistan posted:

Elden Ring on Xbox Series X or PC with a 5 year old AMD RX 480? The Xbox will likely run it better, but I'm wondering if there will be mods for PC in the future that would make it worthwhile.

I'll also have to fight my teenage son for the xbox but the PC is mine.

Edit - Just saw the min spec is a RX 580. Guess that answers that question!

The RX 480 and 580 are mostly the same card. Like almost literally, there is very little difference between those GPUs. I think AMD just tweaked the VF curve a bit and called it a new GPU. If the 580 can run Elden Ring, so can the 480.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

dodgeblan posted:

it's weird that so many people talk about the comparative difficulty of the soul games and say things like 'well when you have perfect knowledge of game x it's actually the easiest game'

I guess the difficulty of the games would be very different if you weren't trying to explore and figure out your own strategies to get through, but isn't that how most people want to play these games? It's not relevant to most people that sekiro is actually the easiest once you have full understanding of the combat system, or that dark souls is actually easy if you know ahead of time which weapons are the best and where to get them

Everyone talks like idiots about these games

"its so easy you can run past every single enemy" like who the gently caress wants to do that in their first run of the game.

The games are hard but they are fun and rewarding who cares if you have some neat trick to go against the whole point of the game.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

enojy posted:

I wouldn't call any From game easy. I think they've just done so little to the core Souls games over the years, that anyone who had cut their teeth on a previous Souls game could go in and wreck a new/unplayed one.

It became less "I can't get used to attacks being on the trigger buttons and I keep spam rolling and wasting stamina I gotta stop panicking like that and why have I been two-handing this sword for the last 20 minutes how do I get my shield out" to "I'll just let this boss swing a few times and then go in"
I dunno about “wreck” but I definitely felt while actually finishing DS3 for the first time recently that bosses didn’t take as many tries for me thanks to my experience with the other games. I thought for sure Nameless King would be a several hour pain but got him in less than a dozen tries, crossing my fingers the same will be true of Elden Ring. But honestly if I get brutalized I’ll still probably enjoy it… From has definitely broken my brain lol

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
This looks interesting.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

idk if this was directed at me but i wasn't talking about "perfect knowledge", i was talking about the distinction between player skill and in-game scaling

a game with RPG scaling by definition is going to have a wider range of difficulty than one with a (relatively) fixed power ratio between the player and the enemies. so it's gonna be harder if you normally hell grind and easier if you normally speed through content underleveled

I wasn't responding directly to you I've just seen a lot of people say that Sekiro isn't that hard once you fully get the combat system.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

punished milkman posted:

do we know how the pokemon work yet? not sure if they’re a spell or an item or what. is there a stat i can focus on to have the strongest pokemon?

they're reusable items, but they cost FP to use. doesn't seem like they scale with stats, instead there's a vendor in the hub who can level them up.

Oenis posted:

We don't know yet, but it's likely going to be a niche stat that's good for some build-around-me weapons and skippable for others. Like Luck in DS3 or Arcane in Bloodborne.

we do know, it's the DS3 Luck equivalent. it mainly affects item discovery and increases resistance against the 'death' status effect which we haven't seen at all but sounds like it's the curse/petrify equivalent (you die instantly if the bar fills up). its description says that some sorceries and incantations scale with it, but we haven't seen any of those yet. we also haven't seen any weapons that scale with Arcane yet, or ways to make them do so, but it's possible that there are some.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

They need an achievement that you get by personally killing each and every living (or undead, whatever) thing in the game. It can (and would probably need to be) done in multiple playthroughs.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I don't know much about cpus, I have an i7 7700 @ 3.6ghz that's probably close enough isnt it? Also I guess I could just install Dark Soul 3 this weekend since I have it and see how it goes. But I ran Cyberpunk just fine before.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvi6Hf7GvaI

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
DS3 and Sekiro are not particularly difficult to run. I have a six-year-old 970 and i7 setup that almost never dips below 60 FPS (engine cap) for them, although I do turn off FSAA in almost every game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

YES

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The jumping attacks look so good. They definitely evolved them from Sekiro's jump attacks which flowed right into ground attacks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't know much about cpus, I have an i7 7700 @ 3.6ghz that's probably close enough isnt it? Also I guess I could just install Dark Soul 3 this weekend since I have it and see how it goes. But I ran Cyberpunk just fine before.

You're fine

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

The min processor requirements are a bit beyond my i5-6600k (yes my build is a bit old) but my 1060 6GB should hold up fine. I play Sekiro and DS3 without issue so I assume ER will be playable.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

bows1 posted:

"its so easy you can run past every single enemy" like who the gently caress wants to do that in their first run of the game.

I mean, everyone, since defeating the 20 enemies in your way on the runback to the boss (or just running back through an area) every single time is tedious. The context is to not worry about having to defeat constantly respawning enemies, not that everyone should avoid all combat on their first playthrough.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a 7700k is better than an 8400 and even an 8600k at most tasks. if you're 'on the line' or even not much below it i would try the game and refund it if you can't run it well enough. this is assuming they don't put up some lower minimum specs here soon which they probably will

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 12, 2022

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I’m going to play a paladin equivalent with heavy shiny armor and no one can stop me

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ichabod Tane posted:

I’m going to play a paladin equivalent with heavy shiny armor and no one can stop me

not very tarnished of you

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Tarnished one ….. hehe ….

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Ugh, I was going to go Deprived but all these other classes look so cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ichabod Tane posted:

I will. I'm going to invade you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looks like someone got my order wrong and sent me multiple copies when i only wanted one. I threw away the extras

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I really want to get a PS5 before launch day just for the extra foliage. Not even joking.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Concerning sysreqs: this is a game with the PS4 as its target platform. If you can run Dark Souls 3 well, there is 0% chance you won't be able to run Elden Ring on at least "p. nice" settings.

My goddamned GTX 970 continuing to be a loving trooper even as it closes in on its eighth birthday.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

wife is now buying her own copy of elden ring on steam(i’m grabbing it for ps5) because she asked me if it was like skyrim and I said yes.

gonna have a frustrated wife but totally worth it so she not playing loving minesweeper on the pc with a 3090 I just built her.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's like Skyrim in that it's good and potentially contains a dragon or two. that's enough

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Looks like someone got my order wrong and sent me multiple copies when i only wanted one. I threw away the extras

console versions, nothing will be missed

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

codo27 posted:

You know what I couldn't beat, was the extra 1v2 battle at the end of Nioh. Only tried a few times because it just seemed impossible

The Oda Nobunaga and Yuki-Onna fight is very hard, but what I did (and what I think you're maybe supposed to do) is wait until you've replayed some of the missions on Way of the Strong, and start getting Divine Gear to give yourself more of an edge in the fight. Maybe that's more of cheese tactic, but the DLC was the same way, where I could not beat the first boss of the DLC until I had gone through Way of the Strong and got some Divine Gear, and I think was designed with NG+ in mind.

Maybe a loaded question, but is there something wrong with FextraLife? I know it's not the best wiki out there for game info, but I'm curious if there's some other issue with the site that I should be aware of.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah all of the DLC in Nioh 1/2 operates on the assumption that you've cleared whatever NG+ level they've included in the DLC, since they all come with another one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe a loaded question, but is there something wrong with FextraLife? I know it's not the best wiki out there for game info, but I'm curious if there's some other issue with the site that I should be aware of.

Fextralife has a bad rep because their wiki is frequently factually wrong and always has obnoxious streams embedded but pushes out other, more useful wikis because of SEO.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Ichabod Tane posted:

Str/Fth, e'ry time.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they took down the minimum requirements so i wouldn't read too much into them yet, and those were weirdly high for a game that runs on a base ps4

also reports are that they've changed how the stats work since the network test a little bit - equip load is tied to endurance now instead of strength.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

I will. I'm going to invade you.

Good thing I enjoy the pvp :darksouls:

I also love the lone pvper who dashed off into the multitude of npc enemies

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Sheldon Ring

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

From what I've seen Elden Ring finally fixes sorceries by making them come out of the top of your wizard stick and not your hand holding it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Do we know what character customization looks like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tarnished as gently caress