Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Rolo posted:

Wait you can do that without gunking it up?

Yep, it rinses off easily. I've also used it with a shaving soap lather too.
It works very well and I don't get ingrown hairs like I used to anymore with a DE razor or 5-blade Gillettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-f/XC000015359/can-i-use-my-philips-oneblade-wet-or-dry

Seems so.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’ve used the same “oneblade” for about 5 years in a row in the shower (changing the head every 6months or so) without any problems. Highly recommend unless you really need a skin-close shave, but even then I usually use the one blade and then do a final pass with a Mach 3 razor.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Rolo posted:

Wait you can do that without gunking it up?

Yep, wet, dry, with cream or without, whatever. It’s a seriously great device.

It feels pathetic to be the fan of an electric razor, but here we are.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

St_Ides posted:

Yep, wet, dry, with cream or without, whatever. It’s a seriously great device.

It feels pathetic to be the fan of an electric razor, but here we are.

I've reached a point in my life where I'd be okay if my face stopped growing hair

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

signalnoise posted:

I've reached a point in my life where I'd be okay if my face stopped growing hair

Get electrolysis on your face

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Snowy posted:

Get electrolysis on your face

I've reached a point in my life where I'm okay accepting large donations of money

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

signalnoise posted:

I've reached a point in my life where I'm okay accepting large donations of money

Get something else on your face.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

tribbledirigible posted:

Get something else on your face.

People say poo poo like that, and it never goes anywhere. It's like saying "get a job" to someone, ya know? Like, I dunno where the opportunities are to get hella paid, and I'm not lookin to start a new business venture here. Like someone says "do designer drugs" as if I am knee deep in connections to drug dealers. Realistic, practical solutions here people. Unless you got that contract

Warbird
May 23, 2012

P sure they meant their testicles OP.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

and, yet, no testicles are appearing

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

taqueso posted:

and, yet, no testicles are appearing

Yeah what is this bootstraps nonsense

Show me the balls and the money

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody have vacuum recommendations? Is there a vacuum thread? I need a new one in the $100-250 range, preferably something specifically made for low pile carpet. Bagless/cordless would be a nice bonus, but I'm happy to sacrifice features for performance. I don't really care about attachments at all; I just need something that does a very good job vacuuming.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody have vacuum recommendations? Is there a vacuum thread? I need a new one in the $100-250 range, preferably something specifically made for low pile carpet. Bagless/cordless would be a nice bonus, but I'm happy to sacrifice features for performance. I don't really care about attachments at all; I just need something that does a very good job vacuuming.

Adding on to this, are there any budget friendly stick vacuums that are worth getting?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lester Shy posted:

I like the Shark Navigator series with one major caveat (which might not apply to your situation): the rollers cannot be taken out for cleaning. As in, the roller assembly does not come apart, at least that I could figure out.

So if you have long-haired people or pets in your home, eventually you'll have to spend some time with scissors and knives and whatnot trying to untangle the rollers. It's an unpleasant task made worse by being unable to take the rollers out.

But as a vacuum, it works really well.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Trabant posted:

I like the Shark Navigator series with one major caveat (which might not apply to your situation): the rollers cannot be taken out for cleaning. As in, the roller assembly does not come apart, at least that I could figure out.

So if you have long-haired people or pets in your home, eventually you'll have to spend some time with scissors and knives and whatnot trying to untangle the rollers. It's an unpleasant task made worse by being unable to take the rollers out.

But as a vacuum, it works really well.

2nding. I had a bottom-of-the-line NV60 from Walmart that worked like a charm for 10+ years (including 8 cat-hair years), at a net cost including filters and so forth of ~$10 per year. TBH it probably just died to a loose switch wire but I figured the cost of getting a decent soldering iron, learning how to use it, and setting fire to the house because I messed up something with mains voltage meant it was time to drop the $170 on the NV360 on Amazon.

Yes, you will occasionally have to xacto or scissor long hair or long strand rug off the brush, but the no-tangle brush is louder and the models that have it start at $220 or thereabouts which is a bit past my threshold.

Don't get the stick version though, people complain about the exhaust venting onto their torso and arms which is a bit unergonomic.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I have a Dyson I bought refurbished for about $250 and it’s great. Really easy to take apart and clean.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The /vacuumcleaners wiki has more info in it than one might expect.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I'm looking for a monitor arm, and I'm not even sure what I want exists.

Does anyone know of a gas-actuated or otherwise easily adjustable monitor arm with only vertical travel that's ideally also got a clamp, not a desktop stand? I currently have a typical elbow-style arm, but in my set-up I can't move the monitor up and down without also getting sideways movement, which drives me up the wall.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation for a pair of lightweight binoculars that I can take hiking? I'd prefer them to be small and lightweight enough that taking them climbing wouldn't be a problem.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a pair of lightweight binoculars that I can take hiking? I'd prefer them to be small and lightweight enough that taking them climbing wouldn't be a problem.

How much you looking to spend?

Decent low end is $75-200
Mid is $200-700
High is $700+

And what do you value most in them?

Small and light
Durability
Clear picture

For low end, you get one of those options, mid you get 2, high you get all 3.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

St_Ides posted:

How much you looking to spend?

Decent low end is $75-200
Mid is $200-700
High is $700+

And what do you value most in them?

Small and light
Durability
Clear picture

For low end, you get one of those options, mid you get 2, high you get all 3.

Low end prices, and I value weight then clarity.

EDIT: I'm planning to look at birds and rocks not planets or anything

Slimy Hog has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Feb 20, 2022

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Cheap but okish.

Better, smaller, lighter, clearer.

Similar to the above. Better picture, less durable.

Bigger and a bit heavier, but better in every way.

Like the last ones but better picture, less durable.

All of these are from established brands. Given you’ll be hiking, I recommend keeping the magnification to 8x or below, because you’ll be holding it by hand and will have been exerting yourself hiking/climbing. All the ones here are 8x or below.

Any of these will work for you. My personal recommendations for your case are the Vortexes (the second and fourth ones, the fourth over the second), as they’re going to be designed with the most durability in mind. Vortex primarily designs around hunters and their uses.

I would also recommend a hard shell case for them. Something similar to this. Though it’ll likely come with a soft case. I’ve broken several sets by just dropping them on to a padded floor, so I always advocate for more protection.

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Feb 20, 2022

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

St_Ides posted:

Cheap but okish.

Better, smaller, lighter, clearer.

Similar to the above. Better picture, less durable.

Bigger and a bit heavier, but better in every way.

Like the last ones but better picture, less durable.

All of these are from established brands. Given you’ll be hiking, I recommend keeping the magnification to 8x or below, because you’ll be holding it by hand and will have been exerting yourself hiking/climbing. All the ones here are 8x or below.

Any of these will work for you. My personal recommendations for your case are the Vortexes (the second and fourth ones, the fourth over the second), as they’re going to be designed with the most durability in mind. Vortex primarily designs around hunters and their uses.

I would also recommend a hard shell case for them. Something similar to this. Though it’ll likely come with a soft case. I’ve broken several sets by just dropping them on to a padded floor, so I always advocate for more protection.

Thanks so much!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Jeherrin posted:

I'm looking for a monitor arm, and I'm not even sure what I want exists.

Does anyone know of a gas-actuated or otherwise easily adjustable monitor arm with only vertical travel that's ideally also got a clamp, not a desktop stand? I currently have a typical elbow-style arm, but in my set-up I can't move the monitor up and down without also getting sideways movement, which drives me up the wall.

Here's one from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16243

You could also substitute those dual monitor ones with only vertical movement if the one I linked doesn't go high enough.

halokiller has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Feb 21, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

halokiller posted:

Here's one from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16243

You could also substitute those dual monitor ones with only vertical movement if the one I linked doesn't go high enough.

That's pretty much what I'd got to, yeah—looks like no-one does gas actuation. I have a Very Short Wife™ so doing the ol' monitor reach-around (we share the home office) between uses isn't ideal, but I might have to buy her a box make it work somehow.

Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking for an enclosure for reading data from an NVMe SSD (the little thin SSDs, whatever they're called). Is there one particular good one or are they all pretty much the same?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Like one to be used on a permanent/long term basis similar to those enclosures that let you use a 2.5 HDD over usb or something intended for swapping out like a SD card reader? The former exist but I’ve not heard of the latter. Haven’t looked either so eh.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

C-Euro posted:

Looking for an enclosure for reading data from an NVMe SSD (the little thin SSDs, whatever they're called). Is there one particular good one or are they all pretty much the same?

I've used both of these successfully just to get data to and from an NVMe SSD so unless you're looking for something specific one of them should suit whatever purpose you have.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNFH1PX/

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJTVGZM/

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I've got a couple of the internal cards and this Vantec enclosure:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608521/vantec-m2-nvme-ssd-to-usb-31-gen-2-type-c-enclosure-w-usb-type-c-cable-space-gray

It's pretty sweet imaging from an SSD to another SSD and a whole rear end Windows install takes like 5 minutes. Having one of each type helps a lot if you have a desktop nearby.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm starting to go on some job interviews and I need some decent looking work pants. Ideally I'm thinking something that looks reasonably professional but would not be out of place in a warehouse environment. Like somewhere between slacks and Dickies. I know stuff like this exists but I have no idea what brands to look for or avoid for comfort or durability issues. Any suggestions?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm starting to go on some job interviews and I need some decent looking work pants. Ideally I'm thinking something that looks reasonably professional but would not be out of place in a warehouse environment. Like somewhere between slacks and Dickies. I know stuff like this exists but I have no idea what brands to look for or avoid for comfort or durability issues. Any suggestions?

Maybe you want something like this - https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-...ants-work-pants

I haven't tried them myself but your verbal description made me think that Duluth might be a good fit for what you are describing. I do have some of their other products (firehose pants, buck naked boxer briefs, now discontinued alaskan hardwear hoodie) and really like their quality.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I might go with those eventually, just for the durability, but for now I'm looking for something a little cheaper. Maybe I should have mentioned a budget. Stopped by Costco this evening and got a pair of these: https://www.costco.com/weatherproof-vintage-men%27s-tech-pant.product.100774791.html

They're pretty comfy, look better than jeans, and for only $14.99 in store they're much more budget friendly. I won't be doing any actual work in them since they seem pretty flimsy, but they should be good enough for job interviews.

I'm still open to other suggestions though if anybody has a go-to for this category of pants.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I really like Banana Republic's Traveler Pant -- super comfortable, 5-pocket style and cut more like jeans, although they're more like ~$100 (full price, but you shouldn't pay anywhere close to that). I have something like 10 pairs of them, but I also work(ed) exclusively in an office environment.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I went with Duluth for work pants because they still look somewhat professional and they actually are holding up with crouching and what not throughout the day. Bonus most have a leg side pocket on the right side for a phone.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, anyone have recommendations for light and breathable pants? We’re not quite to mosquito season here but I’d love something other than shorts to wear in the summer and not get annihilated by bloodsuckers (or get heatstroke). Bonus points for long sleeves or button downs.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Buy permethrin and spray on your clothing of choice? Careful if you have cats, tho

https://www.sawyer.com/products/permethrin-fabric-treatment

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Linen and seersucker. Lean into your inner movie Colombian drug lord.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Check out REI or similar, lots of hiking/backpacking clothes tick boxes for lightweight, breathable, SPF protection, insect blocking, etc. (e.g. Prana, Patagonia, ExOfficio, Columbia). Unfortunately, they’re also usually both expensive and not especially durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Lawen posted:

Check out REI or similar, lots of hiking/backpacking clothes tick boxes for lightweight, breathable, SPF protection, insect blocking, etc. (e.g. Prana, Patagonia, ExOfficio, Columbia). Unfortunately, they’re also usually both expensive and not especially durable.

I was going to say this. I have a pair of Patagonia lightweight long pants that seem to be holding up well. I wear them while working from home as it gives me a presentable look while being super comfy, but I could just as well go into the office with them (we're pretty casual) with a button down or wear them camping.

Under Armor has some similar pants that are in their golf line that are lightweight and of decent quality. I have a pair or two of these as well.