Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've posted in an NFL thread since maybe 2009. I've been a Bengals fan since 1987 because I was three and like the helmets on Tecmo Bowl. Anyway, I dug out in this game we had from last time Cincinnati was in the Super Bowl and also the other football board game I have.

I've never tried either, but Armchair Quarterback looks pretty cool. You get points for guessing on a play-by-play basis. You can't guess wrong, but you can leave any of them blank. Someone good at computers could probably whip up a web form to play as a group, but I wish I had looked at it earlier than today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Forrest on Fire posted:

The owner of the Panthers' wife.

Sleeping with her does not mean he owns her that’s an awful thing to say

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

Apparently if any Cincinnati Bengals get brought up during Hall of Fame voter meetings the head of the committee immediately stops the meeting, strikes the comments and every takes a break and is told to forget everything.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i could never play a game where your ideal would be to predict lots of plays in a row. if there was a scorekeeper and i just had to mark on a board, it's still too much pressure. i only want to laugh, eat hot chip, or say yeah.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

Apparently if any off-field issues get brought during Hall of Fame voter meetings the head of the committee immediately stops the meeting, strikes the comments and every takes a break and is told to forget everything. It's strictly football-only discussion for the HOF.

I don't believe this for a moment otherwise Owens would've been first-ballot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think there's perfectly on field reasons to argue against Owens though. Like the dude was so toxic he was jettisoned from multiple teams for being a hot mess, despite being 'yeah, sure we'll cover up your murders' good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I think there's perfectly on field reasons to argue against Owens though. Like the dude was so toxic he was jettisoned from multiple teams for being a hot mess, despite being 'yeah, sure we'll cover up your murders' good.

The old disgusting Peter King quote about Darren Sharper was that they didn't look at criminal issues. Did Owens have off the field criminal issues other than owing a lot of women money and the time he ODed and the Dallas PD took offense to him saying he was fine?

Maybe I just don't remember but it sure seems like most of his stuff was, like you said, alienating every teammate he ever played with and being a pain in the rear end.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Sleeping with her does not mean he owns her that’s an awful thing to say

Still a less controversial owner than Richardson

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol30K4f00EA

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

bows1 posted:

I read an article about them and for the Titans game I think there was a two block line to get in and they talked to neighboring bars for overflow?

But in park slope where I am I went for a quick jaunt to the store and saw three bengals afc champions sweaters and hats which is more bengals gear than I’ve seen in the past 11 years hear.

However it also means they bought this gear in the past two weeks.

yea, that’s weird. i lived in park slope for four-plus years and i don’t remember a single bengals article of clothing. park slope is pretty bad for sports bars in general.

except bonnie’s. i loving love that place.

also, i’m in fullerton, ca and not sure where to watch the game. any suggestions? hopefully someone here is familiar with the area. good food of any cuisine would be very welcome, but not necessary.

now that i think about it, has there ever been a ‘sports bars’ thread? could be a cool idea—we all just list our favorites in our various areas and it acts as a resource for travelers.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 12, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kalli posted:

Isn’t that the definition of off field

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DeimosRising posted:

Isn’t that the definition of off field

If your teammates all hate you and nobody wants to play with you that’s an on the field problem because it prevents you from being on the field.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Anybody else getting a weird vibe from this Super Bowl? More specifically, it feels to me like the NFL is trying to make it more about the league and less about the Rams and Bengals. All week I've been seeing interviews with guys like Travis Kelce, Deeboo Samuel, Marlon Humphrey, Justin Herbert and a bunch of other dudes who are not playing in the Super Bowl. And all these interviews are in LA. It's like the league forgot how to cover a game without Brady, Rodgers, or Mahomes in it. Also draft stuff seems a lot more popular than it was in years past, so the Senior Bowl and prospect talk is eating up some sports reporting bandwidth. That's been the case for a while with total degenerates like the folks on this forum, but it really feels like it hit mainstream the past few seasons.

Gives the whole proceeding the feel of an off brand Super Bowl. Which is weird, because I expect this to be a very good game!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was supposed to be the chiefs and the rams or the bengals and the 49ers. some fanbase to carry the other one. not this

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Anybody else getting a weird vibe from this Super Bowl? More specifically, it feels to me like the NFL is trying to make it more about the league and less about the Rams and Bengals. All week I've been seeing interviews with guys like Travis Kelce, Deeboo Samuel, Marlon Humphrey, Justin Herbert and a bunch of other dudes who are not playing in the Super Bowl. And all these interviews are in LA. It's like the league forgot how to cover a game without Brady, Rodgers, or Mahomes in it. Also draft stuff seems a lot more popular than it was in years past, so the Senior Bowl and prospect talk is eating up some sports reporting bandwidth. That's been the case for a while with total degenerates like the folks on this forum, but it really feels like it hit mainstream the past few seasons.

Gives the whole proceeding the feel of an off brand Super Bowl. Which is weird, because I expect this to be a very good game!

The matchup has no buzz because one of the two teams might as well be some early 90s non officially licensed football video game team.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

They're weird because their normal stars aren't in the game.

I think it's gonna be one of the best Super Bowls of all time. *takes shot of Cincinnati chili* GO RAMS!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There's no bad guy here so the buzz is low is a take I've seen going around, which I agree with as far as the players go.

But both of these franchises for one reason or another are pretty hateable. We need to amplify hate in some fashion to get excited about this. Choose your fighter between Stan Kreonke and Mike Brown.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There would be at least some more buzz if the Rams were still in St Louis

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There would be at least some more buzz if the Rams were still in St Louis

LA is such a dead football town LOL

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It’s because the Bengo fever hasn’t fully affected everyone yet.

There is no cure.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

sean10mm posted:

Football is HUGE here except everyone is a not-Rams, not-Chargers fan already

e: I guarantee you if the Rams win there's gonna be a lot of "I was always a Rams fan" for many moons to come

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

It’s because the Bengo fever hasn’t fully affected everyone yet.

There is no cure.

Can confirm, and much like many elements of Cincinnati and Ohio in general, Bengo fever is terminal.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I agree that I honestly think this has the potential to be a good football game in general. An actual fun contest to watch.
The NFL just doesn't know how to market it to their own fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

e: I guarantee you if the Rams win there's gonna be a lot of "I was always a Rams fan" for many moons to come

This is what it was like in St Louis too back in the day so that's appropriate.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

god made a farmer

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

We already had one in the NFCW thread and obviously saw a similar thing a decade ago.

It’s honestly harder to come up with examples of NFL teams where this wouldn’t happen if they didn’t already have a big fan base. Maybe the Commanders (lol) because the ownership and team identity situations are disastrous.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It's already projected to be the most watched Super Bowl ever so they don't have to put much effort into hyping the run up

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King Hong Kong posted:

We already had one in the NFCW thread and obviously saw a similar thing a decade ago.

It’s honestly harder to come up with examples of NFL teams where this wouldn’t happen if they didn’t already have a big fan base. Maybe the Commanders (lol) because the ownership and team identity situations are disastrous.

It happens with big fan base teams too. The pats are popular anyway, but there were a lot of lifetime pats fans who became lifetime Brady fans or disinterested/casually interested in football a couple years ago. Here in Pittsburgh there are a lot of Steelers fans, but for some reason a whole lot more when they make a playoff run.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sean10mm posted:

No, they just aren’t fans of the LA teams because the LA teams weren’t in LA until a few years ago. If the league moved a team to Portland or whatever everyone wouldn’t just drop being Seahawks fans to turn out for the Lumberjacks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seriously. And it wouldn’t have been close.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abelwingnut posted:

yea, that’s weird. i lived in park slope for four-plus years and i don’t remember a single bengals article of clothing. park slope is pretty bad for sports bars in general.

except bonnie’s. i loving love that place.

also, i’m in fullerton, ca and not sure where to watch the game. any suggestions? hopefully someone here is familiar with the area. good food of any cuisine would be very welcome, but not necessary.

now that i think about it, has there ever been a ‘sports bars’ thread? could be a cool idea—we all just list our favorites in our various areas and it acts as a resource for travelers.

I’m two blocks away from Bonnies! Dram shop is like the only good sports bar around me besides Bonnies.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eric Weddell is apparently going to be the Green Dot guy for the Rams which means he calling plays and has to saty on the field

This sounds actually insane considering he was retired for two years and on the team for a month

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Just realized my bengals jersey is whitworth. Should I not wear it tomorrow ? gently caress

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he deserves it

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

No, they just aren’t fans of the LA teams because the LA teams weren’t in LA until a few years ago. If the league moved a team to Portland or whatever everyone wouldn’t just drop being Seahawks fans to turn out for the Lumberjacks.

Counterpoint: NHL recently came back to Seattle and a lot of folks I know are using this as a chance to abandon their garbage childhood franchises. Lots of now-ex-Canucks fans bought into our season ticket group, bought a fuckton of apparel and whatnot, and celebrated when we opened our season beating Vancouver. Granted, our home games are still 20-60% visitor jerseys, but you don't get a lot of opportunities for a clean slate in fandom.

The bigger problem is that LA used to have the Rams and the Raiders, and most people in LA would really rather that it had been the latter that returned.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Eric Weddell is apparently going to be the Green Dot guy for the Rams which means he calling plays and has to stay on the field

This sounds actually insane considering he was retired for two years and on the team for a month

https://theathletic.com/3116863/2022/02/08/meant-to-be-how-eric-weddle-interrupted-his-retirement-to-help-lead-the-rams-to-the-super-bowl/

The Athletic posted:

Weddle helped set the tone in the Rams’ victory, playing all 51 snaps forcefully and leading the team with nine tackles....

The 49ers game was different from the Cardinals and Bucs games in that Weddle took part in many more violent collisions.

The payback came in the day and a half that followed.

“I don’t know if I had a rougher 36 hours ever in my playing career,” he says. “I slept a total of five hours over two nights. I was in so much pain, my neck, shoulders. I couldn’t move. When you are in it week to week, training for it all year, your body knows how to handle those collisions. My body was in full shock mode. I wanted to crawl in a ball and not wake up.”

By Tuesday, he started to feel better, and by the end of the week, he was back to normal, as much as he could be. And with Super Bowl LVI looming — his first Super Bowl — it was all good.

The whole read is pretty engrossing. Suffice it to say, putting the whole defense on Weddle's back for the Superbowl is a gutsy call.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

No one cares except for Bengals fans because Rams fans abandoned the team when they moved, California is a poo poo state for clowns, and the rare good Bengals fan is less audible than usual because they have a bunch of newfound bandwagon fans.

That being said the biggest losers no matter the outcome is the Browns fanbase. They can inhale copium and say “I love Ohio!!! Go Ohio team!” But their choices are:

1. The team that turned around a cursed Frank he’s in 2 drafts despite your Cleveland doody crew having like 20 of the same drafts and ending up with nothing

2. OBJ going to do insanely rude donuts for being 100% right getting out of Cleveland and the other joke franchise, the Lions, showing that they are a quicksand of bullshit for good players and the MOMENT they escape, greatness lays down on them

Go rams

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the steelers camp has been reduced to the above for 5 minutes. please enjoy

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
https://twitter.com/thedickbutkus/status/1492702739780059141?s=20&t=0k1-aX05hZ4xz3TPqFK_dQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

He’s probably right but I’m hoping for something more fun to watch than the last time the Rams were in the super bowl