Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any part of a computer is basically a wizard box to my parents, particularly my dad. I spent ages yesterday setting up their new cable boxes yesterday when I was over, they finally were forced to upgrade from their ancient SD equipment. They were then completely baffled by the slightly more complex remotes that were provided. Took about an hour to finally get them to a baseline level.

My dad was quite interested in the voice control feature, the thing you hold in and you say a simple choice like "channel 102", or "the perfect storm". Later on in the night I hear him watching TV and then he's talking to the remote going "hello, please put it on some sports, or if there is any cowboy movie on that would be good, thank you", and then muttering to himself that the new thing is a "piece of poo poo" because it doesn't understand him.

Well he's right. Voice control is garbage for that very reason

People want the anthropomorphized computer to be an active participant and fill in the blanks of vague rambling directives like in Star Trek, if voice control is to be used at all. But voice controls are always designed as though people are issuing specific and syntactically correct commands at all times

"Hey Siri, what's traffic like up ahead?"
Siri, ten years old and with all the benefits of maps and traffic data and directional GPS: :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

RareAcumen posted:

Wait are you supposed to call it internet service instead of wifi this whole time? Well, I guess saying that the wifi isn't working because the internet went out does make sense actually...
You're of course free to say whatever the f you like.

I'd equate that with saying "the lights aren't working (because there's a power outage)", or "the Internet isn't working (because my cellular/smart phone lost cellular connection, or because their Internet connection has an issue, often a power outage)", or "my car isn't working (because there's a traffic jam, haha)".

The company a home contracts with is typically an Internet Service Provider, which for many is often a cable television provider. If there's an "Internet outage", friends are usually on their phones asking if it's just them or a provider-independent Internet outage.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RareAcumen posted:

I don't understand Yakuza being on that list though

So you're saying all goons need to do is play Revengence a few hundred times? Does YLLS know about this? How long has Games been keeping this secret?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I would be very bad at all of those games.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

i think yakuza should be further to the left.

My rear end is not that great yet

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Data Graham posted:

Well he's right. Voice control is garbage for that very reason

People want the anthropomorphized computer to be an active participant and fill in the blanks of vague rambling directives like in Star Trek, if voice control is to be used at all. But voice controls are always designed as though people are issuing specific and syntactically correct commands at all times

"Hey Siri, what's traffic like up ahead?"
Siri, ten years old and with all the benefits of maps and traffic data and directional GPS: :confused:

Ok boomer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Voice controls are cringe

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

christmas boots posted:

Voice controls are cringe
But have you asked them "are you cringe?"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Touch controls are also bad.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

gen z says "boomer" to just mean "older than us" dont be silly now.

Kids are just so goddamn stupid. And they don't stop being stupid until they're at least 30. Maybe even 40, who knows? I'm 36.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Feb 13, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mind the walrus posted:

LGBTQ+ kids will bend over backwards to claim literally anything that they like is "a gay/trans icon." It's mostly harmless.

its pretty helpful, since for some reason there is a lack of, at the very least, trans role models.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Everyone is stupid in their own special ways

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

its pretty helpful, since for some reason there is a lack of, at the very least, trans role models.
Like I said-- mostly harmless. Just helps to know if you aren't used to the convention.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's a joke

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No. loving really?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:allears:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You're expecting Ace Attorney to be a lot harder than it actually is.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I know I'm dead inside because I don't really enjoy the ace Attorney games despite their obvious oozing with charm, but I got like 9 Nier automata endings.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Loving this new meme where a swole short king drops truths on some hunchback chick

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

LGBTQ+ kids will bend over backwards to claim literally anything that they like is "a gay/trans icon." It's mostly harmless.

It really sucks that the most famous trans person in the world is a republican killer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

theflyingexecutive posted:

It really sucks that the most famous trans person in the world is a republican killer.

it really really does

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

every game on that list was made during the age of "games are MEANT to be beaten by the player" so no, you would sleepwalk through all of them. dont be afraid, i believe in you.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

every game on that list was made during the age of "games are MEANT to be beaten by the player" so no, you would sleepwalk through all of them. dont be afraid, i believe in you.

Ah, the long-forgotten age of the year 2017.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

theflyingexecutive posted:

Was wondering when Lana Wachowski killed a republican and then I realized what you meant.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Wendy Carlos deserves more respect too.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Loving this new meme where a swole short king drops truths on some hunchback chick

He seems cool with it.
https://twitter.com/SilverNumber1/status/1491807383236005890

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/SilverNumber1/status/1489821974314504194

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

This is positively impolite. They should wait for the official report from the Department of Icons to come out. For all they know, that character they're appropriating might have been scheduled to become a fishing icon, and they'd be depriving those poor workmen on the herring trawlers of a vital role model.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

RareAcumen posted:

Wait are you supposed to call it internet service instead of wifi this whole time? Well, I guess saying that the wifi isn't working because the internet went out does make sense actually...

Wifi works perfectly fine without an internet connection. SMDH at all these kids without multiple local network servers that continue providing access to terabytes of data without a connection to the ISP.

Of course, the important stuff is wired.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

John Silver and Anna Jay from AEW. Silver is drat funny:

https://i.imgur.com/eRGFLA5.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/foSjma2.mp4

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I know I'm dead inside because I don't really enjoy the ace Attorney games despite their obvious oozing with charm, but I got like 9 Nier automata endings.

You made the correct choice

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

fucj you

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

fucj you

it's true though

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beeswax posted:

it's true though

fucj you too

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ijyt posted:

fucj you too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

just saying punching down to kids in 2022 that still don't have LGBT role models in media that aren't jokes or tokens is not a good look and very straight white male of you