Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
It's hard to describe how great Rau le Creuset is. So I'll just show you instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpN1r-C_CM Just hamming it up 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The HD remake dub of SEED won't be the same without Mark Oliver yelling every line.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 13, 2022

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've only ever watched SEED subbed so more power to whoever gets to be Kira in the new HD dub for all the crying.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The witch from the witch from mercury is actually an alien. The venusian is warning a cold war style earth that's on the verge of nuclear war, and gives the humans Gundam to prevent the war. The enemy is a majestic 12 organization.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Klaatu barada nikto

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Klaatu barada nikto

I got it, I got it! I know your drat words, alright?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

The witch from the witch from mercury is actually an alien. The venusian is warning a cold war style earth that's on the verge of nuclear war, and gives the humans Gundam to prevent the war. The enemy is a majestic 12 organization.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I would watch this show.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RevolverDivider posted:

Seed is incredibly weak until they get to Earth picks up during the desert arc and then gets pretty decent at Orb and stays that way for the rest of the run until destiny

early destiny is like the strongest SEED ever gets, it just uh falls off an extremely steep Quality Cliff

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1493057903573741568?s=20&t=tefXwzCCm8fXL0s_YTgcmQ

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

early destiny is like the strongest SEED ever gets, it just uh falls off an extremely steep Quality Cliff

I'd say the best is Stargazer. It's short, but solid.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say the best is Stargazer. It's short, but solid.

true, I should've specified main-series

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah early Destiny is solid outside of how it handles Cagalli

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The Witch from Mercury will be a Vtuber with a V-fin.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I will always praise Stargazer for depicting how utterly hosed tankers are yet they still never give up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

The Witch from Mercury will be a Vtuber with a V-fin.

The Witch from Mercury is actually MEMcho.

She's still claiming to be a third year high schooler on her spacetube channel, despite the complete collapse of pre-Mobile Suit civilization.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah early Destiny is solid outside of how it handles Cagalli

Early Destiny Cagalli isn't even a bad starting point, IMO.

In basically no time at all she's been forced to change from wandering free agent to nominal leader of an entire nation because of her father's death, and conveniently all of her father's natural political allies self-immolated along with daddy dearest so not only has she had to try to adapt to leading ORB(which looks increasingly under threat from outside forces) in barely a year, but has also had to do so with political knives at her back(in the form of Yuna's faction). Her initially floundering and being completely out of her depth is honestly completely appropriate and fine. I don't even hate the "Kira saves her from a shotgun wedding" scene because it could serve as the shock to break her out of the funk she's in and get her to start adapting to the new status quo.

The problem is that she never grows from that point and mostly just remains a static crybaby nothing who is reliant on Kira and Lacus to do everything for her for functionally the entire series.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Ahab Reactors might not be fully invincible (there are damaged ones in the shoal zone, explaining why it's a cool Star Wars asteroid field instead of a boring realistic one) but you're right that they're Some Bullshit. Apparently, they make use of vacuum collapse to generate energy. Really cool, based on real science... but also something that could potentially destroy the universe if it got out of control. (No wonder they make the things so durable.)

This is also my running theory for what is up with the moon in PD and why dainslaifs are considered forbidden.

A mobile armor running around on the moon gets sniped from orbit by a high spec (maybe battleship grade) dainslaif, cracks its reactor and everyone has a bad time.

Clearly we need a more close up solution to fighting giant robots. Perhaps another giant robot?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
recycling the many otherwise useless orphans into disposable gundam components is very eco-friendly compared to dainslef bombardments.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Y'all overthinking this.

Moon's haunted.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Argas posted:

Y'all overthinking this.

Moon's haunted.

Christ. I thought moon fall was going to suck before.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Yeah, I'll side with Kanos on this too. Destiny has an interesting premise that's not done well at all, even given the lower standards I have for SEED. Like if Destiny had gone hard in on Athrun having to actually deal with his father's ideology and it's consequences as part of the aftermath of the Junius Seven drop would have been a lot more interesting than the whole "oh no, Cagali is getting forced arranged married so I'm gonna rejoin ZAFT" plot line (which was the only kind of appealing Cagalli arc in Destiny). I'll cop to being a big Athrun fan so Destiny is incredibly frustrating because there are the kernels of good ideas that get washed out by dogshit execution.

:same: I like Athrun as a character concept, and his execution vacillates from good to terrible depending on his proximity to Kira's strange Force Wound that sucks all the agency out of everyone. The 'Break The World' terrorist attack is massive in scope, but functions as a way to reignite the CE powder keg without giving the characters in-setting someone they can clearly point to as the belligerent. Durandal mobilizing ZAFT for humanitarian work in the aftermath throws a wet blanket on Djibril's narrative that the Zala Faction represents all coordinators, and swiftly positions ZAFT as the good guys after the Earth Alliance vigorously starts stamping on its own balls in Eurasia. It, like much of Destiny, was a great setup with no or sub-par payoff.

I don't have an issue with Durandal ultimately being a villain. Don't get me wrong. I just think his plan and his timing is batshit. It feels too quick to have ZAFT go from de facto world government by fiat of being the only functioning government left to "and now we go full eugenic dictatorship!"

Eugh, I'm supposed to be working, not thinking about how I'd rewrite Destiny for the 48th time.

Kanos posted:

The "how" is because the wreckage of Junius Seven was just kind of floating there unguarded in a stable orbit because both sides were still in the middle of an incredibly uneasy armistice - Destiny starts barely a year after SEED and the dust hasn't even settled yet. The terrorist group snuck in and began setting up rocket engines stealthily and were only detected by ZAFT at the last moment.

The EA response was nil because the only branch of the EA that found out what was happening in time was Phantom Pain, who are functionally the enforcement arm of Blue Cosmos/LOGOS, who are totally okay with billions of people dying if it gives them an excuse to get the war hot again. Lord Djibril even shares pictures that they took of the ZAFT units setting up the engines with the public to poison general opinion against ZAFT and to justify the nuke response.

As I recall there was also some 'fog of war' going on because the Girty Lue stumbled into the battle not knowing what the hell was going on, and there was some delay in launching because they couldn't figure out why ZAFT was fighting itself. Ironically Phantom Pain was basically in the right place at the right time to give Djibril his red meat for warcrimes.

Argas posted:

I will always praise Stargazer for depicting how utterly hosed tankers are yet they still never give up.

I'd do dirty things for more poor bloody infantry stories. IGLOO was trash but the story about what is essentially an ATGM team setting a trap for a Zaku warmed my fuzzies. Let's get the infantry's perspective on what it is like to have an M1A1's main gun firing at you but at machine gun speed instead of tank autoloader speed.

Argas posted:

Y'all overthinking this.

Moon's haunted.

This but unironically with deactivated yet still functional mobile armors like Hashmal just waiting for someone to wander too close with an Ahab reactor and trigger a reaction.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Warmachine posted:

I'd do dirty things for more poor bloody infantry stories. IGLOO was trash but the story about what is essentially an ATGM team setting a trap for a Zaku warmed my fuzzies. Let's get the infantry's perspective on what it is like to have an M1A1's main gun firing at you but at machine gun speed instead of tank autoloader speed.

IGLOO 2 had its issues but I enjoyed all three episodes.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Do any of you play Gundam Breaker Mobile? I couldn’t find a thread in the mobile gaming forum.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Do any of you play Gundam Breaker Mobile? I couldn’t find a thread in the mobile gaming forum.

I did. Might have lost my save, though, so I might be done.

Better written than I was expecting, overall.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kanos posted:

The problem is that she never grows from that point and mostly just remains a static crybaby nothing who is reliant on Kira and Lacus to do everything for her for functionally the entire series.

As bad as her weakened and crying state for most of the series is, my least favourite part is that her 'redemption' moment is completely contemptible since it's her proxy fighting to stop ZAFT from capturing the closest living thing to Cosmic Era Hitler

I'm rooting for ZAFT to pound Orb into the dirt for sheltering that guy, not cheering on Cagalli repelling their efforts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rau is the best Gundam villian, once you see the CE you'll also want ever man woman and child in it dead.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

Rau is the best Gundam villian, once you see the CE you'll also want ever man woman and child in it dead.

Yeah, it is really notable that Rau was basically completely right about everything. And you'd think someone in the writer's room might ask "is he supposed to be?" Because I'm honestly not sure how intentional that was as CE progressed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/boyfriem/status/1493265002144403458?s=20&t=kIdd1hda3IpsOANVNDXceQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seemlar posted:

As bad as her weakened and crying state for most of the series is, my least favourite part is that her 'redemption' moment is completely contemptible since it's her proxy fighting to stop ZAFT from capturing the closest living thing to Cosmic Era Hitler

I'm rooting for ZAFT to pound Orb into the dirt for sheltering that guy, not cheering on Cagalli repelling their efforts.

That... isn't what happens at all?

Jona is the one sheltering Djibril. Cagalli finds out about this, gets pissed off, gets the Akatsuki, flies to Orb, tricks Jona into acknowledging her as the real Cagalli and then orders him beaten and for everyone to find Djibril. The reason she is fighting back is because ZAFT was going full "raze everything" (it's specifically stated that Jona didn't even bother to deploy any sort of real defenses so ZAFT effectively swooped in and started shooting.) Literally everyone is looking for Djibril and nobody knows where he is. The sequence of his escape is even framed as literally every faction trying to catch his shuttle before it gets away.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The entire emphasis is on rallying the troops to repel ZAFT and finding Djibril for themselves, there's absolutely no attempt at making contact to call a cease fire and mutually find him, no standing down or recognizing the fact that ZAFT were 100% justified in launching that invasion

Orb spent the entire series until then active participants in a campaign of genocide, it's not on ZAFT to play nice and trust that it was just one problematic guy sheltering and defending the worst person on the planet while everyone else just followed orders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seemlar posted:

The entire emphasis is on rallying the troops to repel ZAFT and finding Djibril for themselves, there's absolutely no attempt at making contact to call a cease fire and mutually find him, no standing down or recognizing the fact that ZAFT were 100% justified in launching that invasion

Orb spent the entire series until then active participants in a campaign of genocide, it's not on ZAFT to play nice and trust that it was just one problematic guy sheltering and defending the worst person on the planet while everyone else just followed orders.

The attempt at a ceasefire happened before everything started and it failed miserably because Jona sucks and poisoned the well. Like you even point out exactly why that wouldn't work. ZAFT was razing the place to find Space Hitler which was the issue. Cagalli was trying to find Djibril because if they found him then they could turn him over and stop the fighting because ZAFT wasn't going to stop for anything less. Certainly not because Cagalli asked.

There is a significant difference between being justified in trying to stop Space Hitler and deciding the best way to stop Space Hitler is to destroy everything around him regardless of consequences and causalities. And that is something even ZAFT was divided on as part of them were saying they should minimize causalities and others were saying go full force. Talia was one of the former and even benched Shinn until he pulled FAITH and launched because, and I quote, "if anyone's going to destroy Orb, it's going to be me." Shin wasn't going into Orb to find Djibril. He was going into Orb because he was furious and wanted to kill some Orb. Lunamaria of all people is the one who comes closest to taking down Djibril because unlike Shin and Rey she was actually doing her job. She just has the accuracy of a blind wombat.

Likewise "We are going to invade a country because they are housing The Worst Person In The World and that justifies burning it to the ground regardless of consequences" is not really going to to play the same way in 2004, even in a Japanese production. (And you can't argue that is a nonsequitar because Athrun's loving mecha is named Infinite Justice.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 15, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always thought Durandal was the only likable or smart person in Destiny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's certainly a take

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I always thought Durandal was the only likable or smart person in Destiny.

The dude who decided to enact world-wide forced eugenics because he was state-mandated cuckolded? Fuckin' genius he is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The dude who decided to enact world-wide forced eugenics because he was state-mandated cuckolded? Fuckin' genius he is.

Well he literally accomplished everything he wanted before that point.

So the writers were like "we've made our villain too perfect and successful, how are we gonna have people suddenly revolt against him when they've lapped up everything else he's said and done all series". So we got Destiny's fuckin' lovely ending.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People always confuse competence for likability.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

Which explains a little bit about Char Aznable's enduring popularity.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gundam Wing, episode 32: this OZ dude is the funniest. "I'm going to use the brain altering gundam suit to become more than just an NPC," says the dumb guy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

They are not identical but they're pretty fundamentally linked.

A hero who fails at everything is not going to be a popular hero unless this is "comically the point." People don't wanna identify with or cheer on losers. The reverse is also true, people like to support winners and nobody won in Destiny at any point except Durandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dan Hibiki kicks rear end, you're wrong