Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They’re actually funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'm at the point now where I'm starting to have to dig to find good movies that are new to me. I've been picking through these lists recently, should keep me going for a while.

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

They Shoot Pictures, Don’t They? – The Complete List
They Shoot Zombies, Don’t They? – The 1,000 Greatest Horror Films (2020 Edition)
Japanese Movies All Time Best 200 (Kinema Junpo’s Readers)
Bill Hader’s “200 Essential Movies Every Comedy Writer Should See”
Roger Ebert’s “Great Movies”
Edgar Wright’s 1,000 Favorite Movies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just watched The Majorettes, that movie was a lot of fun, would recommend.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WATCH POSTAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt_tv7t79WY

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sedgr posted:

Action one liners have pauses in between to let you savor them.
They're also, you know, one line, and delivered by some beefcake with charisma, not a tedious back and forth between blandly pretty faces.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The scene in postal where the kids get gunned down legit made me cry laughing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im going to try and find a way to watch Postal. god i dont want to do it on steam -_-

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sedgr posted:

Action one liners have pauses in between to let you savor them.

While Marvel quips have pauses in between for the audience laugh track, followed by a dumb reaction face from another cast member.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ColTim posted:

Hmm. Why do action one-liners feel so different from marvel banter?

I think them being delivered after someone dies adds some zest. No one really dies in action scenes in Marvel movies (or if they do, it's not casual and quick enough for a one liner), so there's no opportunity. It feels lamer delivering a one liner to a guy who you only knocked out.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

WampaLord posted:

I think them being delivered after someone dies adds some zest. No one really dies in action scenes in Marvel movies, so there's no opportunity. It feels lamer delivering a one liner to a guy who you only knocked out.

the joke is funnier because of contrast in a real action movie. in a Marvel movie the action is also a loving joke so who can tell?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Stink Billyums posted:

I'm at the point now where I'm starting to have to dig to find good movies that are new to me. I've been picking through these lists recently, should keep me going for a while.

Hello friend. I'd like to talk to you about our lord and savior, Criterion Channel.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Dutch: "Stick around..."
Mac steps in from off camera: "Knife job, Major."
Blain gets blasted through the wall and lands on the ground in front of them.
Dillon: "Guess they didn't like your nasty attitude either. You're hit!"
Blain gets up dusting himself "I aint got time to..." pulls knife from dead goon "...blade."
They all nod and smile to one another as the group strikes a pose and then moves out.

Marvel Predator reboot coming to Disney+.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I think the hulk line "that's my secret cap, im always angry" was a pretty good line but not really a 1 liner I guess since it was before a fight

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
I didn't realize how bad it was. Forgive me:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/28/marvel-cinematic-universe-best-one-liners-quotes/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

so anyway im watching gundam wing and it feels like as i watch it im beginning to realize that

what

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Look, over there." - Captain Rogers

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Cowcaster posted:

was there anything in particular that set off this "hey remember the 90's" tour

"hey remember the 80's" was so pre pandemic

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jji78uEW14

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The scene in postal where the kids get gunned down legit made me cry laughing

okay Jay

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sedgr posted:

There's no such thing as a good horror film. Inevitably the person that tells you about the latest horror masterpiece they just saw will try and show you their collection of OnlyFans videos of Japanese women in stilettos stomping kittens to death.

Jay :black101::devil::catte::choco::discourse:

jay doesn't like that it's women but he loves the cat death

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hello friend. I'd like to talk to you about our lord and savior, CrunchyRoll

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Also I was baby in the 90s so I haven’t seen any of these

you're a baby now hahahah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

you're a baby now hahahah

I’m glad luchajones got banned

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

hahah

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gripweed posted:

Bird People in China absolutely kicks rear end

it does

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What is Bird People in China please tell me more

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Did Luchajones get banned? I thought he just fled in shame after lusting after underage titties. But it has been a while, and unlike you I'm old.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

What is Bird People in China please tell me more

It's what they call it when you throw a Taiwanese reporter out of a high-rise window.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

Did Luchajones get banned? I thought he just fled in shame after lusting after underage titties. But it has been a while, and unlike you I'm old.

lemme guess, Ciri's actor?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Moola posted:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Moola posted:

That's a weird thing to just guess.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

yyyyyikes

AARD VARKMAN posted:

That's a weird thing to just guess.

lol gently caress off

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

My favorite part of Us is how my barber at the time found out I like horror movies and proceeded to tell me the entire plot to both Us and Suspiria after I told him I hadn't seen either of them

I eventually saw Us. It was kind of wanky. I saw Suspiria too and it was just not my cup of tea

ok but what did you do after you strangled him to death

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:barf:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
do you guys think if the michael richards thing happened today, seinfeld would still get reaired??

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

kalel posted:

ok but what did you do after you strangled him to death

It was one of those sitcom situations where he like kept acknowledging I didn't want to have it spoiled and then would just continue explaining, all the while scissors clipping away

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sweet geek swag posted:

They did not, but last time I checked they literally hadn't posted since.

Moola posted:

Oh hello, Josh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

They did not, but last time I checked they literally hadn't posted since.

Oh hello, Josh

Nah it's this dude

Sunk Dunk posted:

do you guys think if the michael richards thing happened today, seinfeld would still get reaired??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

It was one of those sitcom situations where he like kept acknowledging I didn't want to have it spoiled and then would just continue explaining, all the while scissors clipping away

Respect. That's an absolute power move.