Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

How to say Backpfeifengesicht without actually saying Backpfeifengesicht. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

sebzilla posted:

Gotta be committed to life in the posting dojo

I'm usually asleep all morning and awake all night but the last time I spent the night posting I was accused of being someone else and given a sixer lmao.

I read it all, though. :)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

a peerage is a pretty big handout

i think you'll find it's a grave responsibility and very hard work and a great burden. you have to go all the way into town to get paid 300 quid for napping

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Prole posted:

I check in here daily, and there's always like 160+ posts to catch up on lol. Guys slow down! Gimme a chance!!

Don't look on it as 160 posts, look on it as 4 pages.
I think the most I had to catch up after a couple of days offline was over 500. So I opened two tabs in the browser, one on the where I got to page and one a refreshing page to keep up. I seem to remember there were about 3-4 pages of crisps chat included in that.
(And I've still never eaten Monster Munch :hotpickle:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 13, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(And I've still never eaten Monster Munch :hotpickle:

hosed up if true

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

i think you'll find it's a grave responsibility and very hard work and a great burden. you have to go all the way into town to get paid 300 quid for napping

and if you want to claim the money back for your taxis you have to fill in a form :argh:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm just curious, what are kind of goals people are trying to meet nowadays? New enough cars, overseas vacations? I'm really not keeping up with what's supposed to be expected of me lately so I lost track. But cars, travel and big houses in expensive places seem timeless brags.
I think most people tend to have inverse goals now, i.e. don't starve, don't get sacked, don't miss a rent payment, don't get the car reposessed. Even the more attainable goals like savings tend to be so that you don't get absolutely hosed if the car breaks down or something happens that the insurance won't cover.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think most people tend to have inverse goals now, i.e. don't starve, don't get sacked, don't miss a rent payment, don't get the car reposessed. Even the more attainable goals like savings tend to be so that you don't get absolutely hosed if the car breaks down or something happens that the insurance won't cover.

Yeah, in the last 12 months I've had to pay out about £2k in unexpected replacements (notably £1600 of that on emergency essential dental work at a private dentist - only one NHS dentist round here and I've been on the waiting list about 3 years now - never mind Aneurin Bevan Health Board (Wales) saying you don't need to register just make an appointment - guess they've never tried).
If I'd been on benefits of any kind with no savings I would have been well and truly hosed. As it is the first 4 months pay from the job I just got last April went on the dentist. (It's part-time - full-time jobs round here are practically non-existent.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We've lost about £500 to dentistry over the last few months. My wife's had to go private and pay about £300, and for the work I need doing I need to find out if it's £65 for the lot or £65 per filling - if it's the latter I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to hit up the emergency fund.

I don't understand how dentistry justifies being exempt from the 'free at the point of service' part of the nhs charter, either morally or historically.

E: supposedly if you're on welfare dental work is covered by the stuff you get free or vouchers for like glasses, but I can't claim, so that's great.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Tooth fairy set an unfortunate economic precedent

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normally on the NHS you can have as much as you want done, as long as it's part of the same course of treatment, which definitely does not create the perverse incentive to let all your teeth get hosed up and then get them fixed all at once and I have definitely not done that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Normally on the NHS you can have as much as you want done, as long as it's part of the same course of treatment, which definitely does not create the perverse incentive to let all your teeth get hosed up and then get them fixed all at once and I have definitely not done that.
It also assumes you can find a dentist is is willing to do nhs work, which none of them round here seem to (i thought all surgeries had to offer some spaces, but even the ones that say they do have no nhs slots left).

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't understand how dentistry justifies being exempt from the 'free at the point of service' part of the nhs charter, either morally or historically.

The Labour Party decided the costs of fixing teeth & glasses was too much, so cut it. Of course once the precedent was set tories took full advantage.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

When I came back to these war torn lands in 2019 after my 6 year European excursion, the vending machine at Manchester Airport had only roast beef monster munch and no other crisps. Disappointment, and then putting up with it anyway after moaning about it. It felt like home.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We've lost about £500 to dentistry over the last few months. My wife's had to go private and pay about £300, and for the work I need doing I need to find out if it's £65 for the lot or £65 per filling - if it's the latter I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to hit up the emergency fund.

As long as it's one course of treatment it's 65 the lot.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angrymog posted:

As long as it's one course of treatment it's 65 the lot.
It's a big hole in the tooth and a filling at the back of the same tooth on one day, a small filling on the opposite side a few days later, and then a scrape & polish a few days after that.

E: it was all on the one piece of paper that I signed if that helps.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 13, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As long as it's all in your one treatment plan (and it's NHS) it should still only be the same price, even if it's on multiple days, but make sure as I also always have anxiety about how much it's going to cost.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Judoon Platoon posted:

Train drivers on cover shifts don’t want to spend 8 hours crammed together in crowded mess rooms during a pandemic! This is extremely Tory behaviour!

They would rather stay at home too far away to be able to effectively cover any trains when needed, or be rang up to come in and explain 'sorry I had a couple of cans while BBQing so can't drive now lol' but they are safe from those drat covid riddled messrooms while on shift, only to spend their time in busy pubs etc tagging themselves on social media with no fear of covid off shift.

I've been working on the railway 15 years now, trust me the majority of train drivers voted tory last election and most think they are middle class now so fully plugged in to the conservative dream. Source: arguing with people in messrooms for over a decade.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bacon Terrorist posted:

They would rather stay at home too far away to be able to effectively cover any trains when needed, or be rang up to come in and explain 'sorry I had a couple of cans while BBQing so can't drive now lol' but they are safe from those drat covid riddled messrooms while on shift, only to spend their time in busy pubs etc tagging themselves on social media with no fear of covid off shift.

I've been working on the railway 15 years now, trust me the majority of train drivers voted tory last election and most think they are middle class now so fully plugged in to the conservative dream. Source: arguing with people in messrooms for over a decade.

Did they give any particular reasons other than 'buying in to the dream'? Was it pro-brexit, anti-Corbyn or 'Labour will tax us too much', something else?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

always side with labour

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
All of them will be over the tax threshold now I think, before accounting for overtime. Also there is a lot of older hands who were traditional Labour voters but have transcended into gammonhood so are pro-Brexit and withdrew their support for Labour when Corbyn came in. Ultimately, as one driver put it to me many moons ago, I think for a lot of them they get driving and the money is a massive boost. Then before they know it they have matched their spending to their earning and don't feel aswell off. Now they're driving leased executive saloons to work from their £350k houses, their priorities have changed.

Most drivers realise they are living far above the average salary thanks to the mess that is privitisation and the main fondness for the BR days is more to do with the benefits that were carried forward for those who joined in time, rather than the actual set up. The lean towards Tory is heavier at depots where train driver is one of the best paid jobs in that particular area. Disappointingly even some really intelligent drivers are too jaded by Labour (again this is pre-Corbyn). That said there are some exceptions, some drivers are in the RMT over ASLEF (a minority position outside TFL) and they tend to be the more principled and left leaning, usually former conductors.

The latest proposed strike by ASLEF is being laughed at by a lot of ASLEF members I have spoken to so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't win the ballot. The RMT has always been far more left leaning and had the measure of ASLEF as very self serving for years. As a supposed sister union ASLEF were happy for their members to come in and earn overtime crossing RMT picket lines during DOO (Driver Only Operation) disputes, despite claiming they are actually opposed to DOO.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Julio Cruz posted:

always side with labour

I know what you're saying but I think there are examples where some unions are too corrupt in their methods and it ultimately gives the whole trade union movement a bad name. I won't side with the ASLEF rep who is on cleaning duties for 'medical reasons' flaunting his pay cheque at the other cleaners paid £35,000 a year less to do the same job, sorry.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bacon Terrorist posted:

All of them will be over the tax threshold now I think, before accounting for overtime. Also there is a lot of older hands who were traditional Labour voters but have transcended into gammonhood so are pro-Brexit and withdrew their support for Labour when Corbyn came in. Ultimately, as one driver put it to me many moons ago, I think for a lot of them they get driving and the money is a massive boost. Then before they know it they have matched their spending to their earning and don't feel aswell off. Now they're driving leased executive saloons to work from their £350k houses, their priorities have changed.

Most drivers realise they are living far above the average salary thanks to the mess that is privitisation and the main fondness for the BR days is more to do with the benefits that were carried forward for those who joined in time, rather than the actual set up. The lean towards Tory is heavier at depots where train driver is one of the best paid jobs in that particular area. Disappointingly even some really intelligent drivers are too jaded by Labour (again this is pre-Corbyn). That said there are some exceptions, some drivers are in the RMT over ASLEF (a minority position outside TFL) and they tend to be the more principled and left leaning, usually former conductors.

The latest proposed strike by ASLEF is being laughed at by a lot of ASLEF members I have spoken to so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't win the ballot. The RMT has always been far more left leaning and had the measure of ASLEF as very self serving for years. As a supposed sister union ASLEF were happy for their members to come in and earn overtime crossing RMT picket lines during DOO (Driver Only Operation) disputes, despite claiming they are actually opposed to DOO.

I'm friends with a couple of what were formerly known as conductors/guards - not sure what they call themselves these days, still the same job! - I've known for 30 years - who are definitely left.
Other rail folk I'm still friends with (I left rail 15 years ago!) including Control, Lineside - are mainly left & 1 card-carrying member of the squirrel-menacing party.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think train conductors ought to be stout and jolly folks who believe in well-funded public services and good schemes for the children and the young people :)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
One of my best friends became a train driver a couple of years ago and the bacon man is dead on the mark. He gets WFH days to study and is a spare driver a lot, weird thing is that due to covid so many services got cancelled which means they've ended up with an overabundance of spare drivers. I'm sure someone may have suggested using the spare drivers to man the services that have had to be cancelled, but probably got told to go play with the traffic.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

i think train conductors ought to be stout and jolly folks who believe in well-funded public services and good schemes for the children and the young people :)
there was a train conductor on the very small, local service where I used to live who could 100% have been Santa Claus keeping busy during his off season. Big round-bellied chap, extremely smiley and jolly, A+

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

The young people showed them a lot more respect when they were never quite sure if they were dealing with a train conductor, a mafia man, or an Oberbootsmann of the Prussian navy.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
ASLEF shouldn't exist and drivers should be in the RMT because there should be one union for all railway workers. Really the idea of a union for one grade alone is about 120 years or more out of date and only really sustainable for drivers because they're in a powerful position compared to other railway staff.

However, as a former driver the idea that they're generally right wing is pretty sketchy. I think you can only think that's the case by ignoring how those lovely opinions you're describing are actually more common in society in general than we would like. ASLEF is generally dominated by cookie cutter leftist views and despite what the right wing press may have you believe that doesn't happen due to a left wing cabal out of control from the members.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1493016664354533376?t=6UWFdWJOHZJtMVdnkIOu8w&s=19

I think it's incredibly funny that in its desperate need to show a strong arm against the pervasive force they claim is responsible for every bad thing to happen in Britain over the last ten years - from Corbyn's rise to Brexit to Indy Ref and beyond - the British establishment is openly allying itself with actual and unabashed Nazis, because "Russia Bad!!!"

As usual, liberalism will be the handmaiden of fascism...

Prole fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 14, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Picard was right

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dabir posted:

Sounds like they're afraid of the consequences of their own actions, then. The military actions. The ones they're doing to their neighbours. The neighbours who are suddenly very keen to join a military defense pact.

Yes and reducing Russia to a poo poo tier power that can't strongarm them into being its henchmen/buffer zone would be loving amazing for many of its neighbours, but that didn't happen in 1991, and now it's obvious Russia disagrees and Russia is the one with the nukes.

When the guy with the nukes starts making demands and commits moderate outrages against international law, the guy with the nukes gets away with it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

suck my woke dick posted:

When the guy with the nukes starts making demands and commits moderate outrages against international law, the guy with the nukes gets away with it.

But enough about Brexit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

Yes and reducing Russia to a poo poo tier power that can't strongarm them into being its henchmen/buffer zone would be loving amazing for many of its neighbours

I mean, the neolib 'economists' the US sent over there in the early 90s sure had a go. But ultimately, Russia had nukes in 1991 too, there's a limit to how far anyone could have done to 'reduce' them.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1493155244951302146

Kind of obsessed with this potential play. Can those (fictional) Momentum thugs stoop any lower than wanting to deselect a noble MP for the minor infraction of *checks notes* murdering a homeless person while drink-driving?!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

wurrance telephene strikes again

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

feedmegin posted:

I mean, the neolib 'economists' the US sent over there in the early 90s sure had a go. But ultimately, Russia had nukes in 1991 too, there's a limit to how far anyone could have done to 'reduce' them.

The main brain behind the dissolution of the USSR was Yegor Gaidar, anyway. He sought help from the West, but he set policy himself.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kind of obsessed with this potential play. Can those (fictional) Momentum thugs stoop any lower than wanting to deselect a noble MP for the minor infraction of *checks notes* murdering a homeless person while drink-driving?!

She wasn't an MP but the point still stands.

Jose posted:

honestly the public really should get to see what complete psychos the labour party MPs are more often

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 14, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

Remember the time the US supported Yeltsin when he overthrew the legisture & constitution of Russia because people were upset at the massive human cost of his liberalisation of the economy, most notably with life expectancy falling dramatically.

Good Times.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Related

https://twitter.com/MuradGazdiev/status/1491860343160721408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

The drunk driving bit doesn't actually appear on the gofundme page, so unless there's an edit, it looks like the actual play will be more tame and boring, without even the bloodsucking momentum leader.