Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The robot is in need of maintenance. That's why there's only the one weld that looks like poo poo. The rest of the cars going down that line will have that same lovely weld until they do maintenance on the robot.

It's probably actually because the welder was a minority who was just subjected to a slur, or a white person who had to fire off a quick slur at a passing minority colleague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

HolHorsejob posted:

That's one way to get your cone back.

Also I like your games and play them instead of sleeping

Thanks a lot! :tipshat:

America
Apr 26, 2017

Horrific. These men are all already deaf and they cover their ears only to lessen the pain.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BasicLich posted:

doing bonghits of harbor freight tool magic smoke

Torque up.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Continuing the trend of "is it okay for my employer to lock me inside the building overnight?"

https://twitter.com/ellle_em/status/1492787605636853761

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Should have hung up with the boss and then live-streamed the fire department breaking into a Walmart to liberate them. I’m sure they’d be delighted for the opportunity.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Arson Daily posted:

I thought robots made these welds? Does Elon really have human beings poorly welding his cars together?

When I was a teenager I worked in a factory that made truck and suv frames. Tons of robot welding.

Last station on the line was 4 humans, to fix all the hosed up robot welds. They're like any other tool, maintain them or they gently caress up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iwentdoodie posted:

When I was a teenager I worked in a factory that made truck and suv frames. Tons of robot welding.

Last station on the line was 4 humans, to fix all the hosed up robot welds. They're like any other tool, maintain them or they gently caress up.

And we all know how low-level managers feel about maintenance.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arson Daily posted:

I thought robots made these welds? Does Elon really have human beings poorly welding his cars together?

Heres what the standoffs holding one of the PCBs in an iPhone 4S look like

Definitely robot welded, looks like reworked too. This was one in the wild.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Continuing the trend of "is it okay for my employer to lock me inside the building overnight?"

The poster needs to claim the overtime for the time he spent locked in the restaurant. If they don't pay you it's kidnapping.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Harry_Potato posted:

The poster needs to claim the overtime for the time he spent locked in the restaurant. If they don't pay you it's kidnapping.

It practically already is. You can gently caress off from a job whenever you want.

"We're going to leave you locked up, but at least you get overtime" is still being held against your will.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's false imprisonment and that attaches a criminal and civil cause of action, so it's doubly hosed. "We don't want to pay to open a door that's stuck" is not quite a felony but the manager who said that should be looking for a lawyer.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
assuming that isnt stdh they still seem terminally online saying updates will be coming instead of deleting everything(also asking for advice to be delete) so theres no records.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

assuming that isnt stdh they still seem terminally online saying updates will be coming instead of deleting everything(also asking for advice to be delete) so theres no records.

probably hasn't actually spoken to the lawyer yet, we'll know when he does because that will happen

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CarForumPoster posted:

Heres what the standoffs holding one of the PCBs in an iPhone 4S look like

Definitely robot welded, looks like reworked too. This was one in the wild.

Reminder that Robots have to be trained by a human to do the work, which means somebody (probably with very little welding experienced) trained the robot to weld that badly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CommieGIR posted:

Reminder that Robots have to be trained by a human to do the work, which means somebody (probably with very little welding experienced) trained the robot to weld that badly.

Wait, really? I know basically nothing about production line robots, but I would've guessed they were set up with preprogrammed instructions like a cnc mill or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A mill that’s set up badly will do bad work. The machines are only “doing it all” after humans set up the proper sequence.

Tesla previously had a whistleblower report that robots were puncturing battery packs and other workers were just patching them and putting them in cars. Elon had him swatted with a faked mass shooting threat, tried to have him charged for industrial espionage, and eliminated his position so nobody else would catch it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I also worked in an automotive manufacturing plant and if a machine hosed up, it was our fault.

If we let supervisors know there was a problem, they would let the line limp along as if nothing was wrong, churning out lovely parts and it was still our fault if poo poo got out. They would not allow maintenance to purchase the parts needed to permanently fix a machine.

If someone got hurt, it was our fault. If someone got hurt even after we turned in a safety issue to the health and safety officer, it would never get fixed and it was our fault. We had to bring our own foam pipe wrap in to put on sharp edges of metal because if we didn't, no one would.

If we didn't make quota for parts daily, it was our fault. If we made quota, they expected that every day and if we didn't reach it, it was our fault. If we exceeded quota once, then that was the new quota going forward and if we didn't reach it, it was our fault.

I worked every department in that place (PCB manufacturing, ABS injection molding for the housings of the fuse boxes, and LSR molding for the electrical seals, and inspection) and it was always the loving same experience.

Years of this poo poo grinds you down. You'd have to be a hosed up individual to take pride working in a place like this.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 13, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Lol, "Look, I know what you're thinking - 'he's too weak to use a door', but that's not it man, I use doors all the time!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm a bit of a door user myself.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, really? I know basically nothing about production line robots, but I would've guessed they were set up with preprogrammed instructions like a cnc mill or something.
You let a non-machinist program a CNC mill and let us know how it goes :D

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Going by the front logo, that's a Kereta Api Indonesia train.

Kind of on-brand to have people going about their business under the train as well as above.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PhazonLink posted:

it sounds like its a teenager, since they were afraid to call 911 and say they are pretty young. hopefully they get a good lawyer

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Kids have "only call 911 if it's a REAL EMERGENCY otherwise the police will ARREST YOU" drilled into their heads so hard it makes people wary to call 911 in the event of an actual emergency.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/gi0kX7e.mp4

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Kazy posted:

Kids have "only call 911 if it's a REAL EMERGENCY otherwise the police will ARREST YOU" drilled into their heads so hard it makes people wary to call 911 in the event of an actual emergency.
It's easy to not see that as an emergency, the person is healthy and in no immediate physical harm (though the anxiety will probably make it a physical problem in a few hours). It constitutes an emergency in that if something were to happen they're hosed. Fire codes are written not for the best case scenario but for the worst, the knowledge of which was paid in blood.

And that's on top of the fact that you can't lawfully tell someone to stay trapped in a place who wants out that you'll get around to it whenever it's convenient for you.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Kind of on-brand to have people going about their business under the train as well as above.

That's goddamn brutal.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kw0134 posted:

It's easy to not see that as an emergency, the person is healthy and in no immediate physical harm (though the anxiety will probably make it a physical problem in a few hours). It constitutes an emergency in that if something were to happen they're hosed. Fire codes are written not for the best case scenario but for the worst, the knowledge of which was paid in blood.

And that's on top of the fact that you can't lawfully tell someone to stay trapped in a place who wants out that you'll get around to it whenever it's convenient for you.

It's supposed to be more like the Emergency Room at the hospital which isn't just for people bleeding to death but people who don't have time to wait for an appointment. A lot of people call the police non-emergency line if nobody's life is currently in danger, but if you need to report that you just saw someone steal your car and you'd like someone to pull over the Pontiac Tempest with metallic mint-green paint traveling eastbound on Main, you should call 911.

If something is currently ongoing, call 911. If you need to make a report about something that happened earlier, call some other number.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That's goddamn brutal.

I'm guessing those are to knock people off the top of the train?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cat Hatter posted:

It's supposed to be more like the Emergency Room at the hospital which isn't just for people bleeding to death but people who don't have time to wait for an appointment. A lot of people call the police non-emergency line if nobody's life is currently in danger, but if you need to report that you just saw someone steal your car and you'd like someone to pull over the Pontiac Tempest with metallic mint-green paint traveling eastbound on Main, you should call 911.

If something is currently ongoing, call 911. If you need to make a report about something that happened earlier, call some other number.

where does urgent care fit into your metaphor?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cat Hatter posted:

In a lot of places there *is* no police non-emergency line and the local PD expects you call 911 for literally any reason you'd want to talk to a cop. I mean, of course the building with the cops in it has a phone that you can call, but even when they put out an announcement and say "If you have any information, please call the PD," they say "call the PD at 911."

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Deteriorata posted:

vaporized plastic/glue/gunk

I've seen similar dense, oily smoke come out of capacitors in failed chinesium power supplies, oozing over my workbench like cryo CO2 stage fog. Leaves a bunch of nasty residue behind.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Yup, concrete spheres right at braining height.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

very few things in this thread make me say "what the gently caress" but that's absolutely one of them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMadkJO0Xhg

A lot of the actual movement is programmed by leading the robot, then setting the parameters for start/stop of action. Its very much taught.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMadkJO0Xhg

A lot of the actual movement is programmed by leading the robot, then setting the parameters for start/stop of action. Its very much taught.

but can we teach it to love?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

LifeSunDeath posted:

but can we teach it to love?

you have to order the correct attachments first

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kith posted:

you have to order the correct attachments first

Indeed

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Gonna guess that the spheres are to warn of a tunnel ahead and are not made of concrete (looks like plastic or maybe Al).

The hazard mitigation hierarchy for equipment manufacturers in the US (based mostly on precedence in tort law for commercial applications) goes something like:

Where possible:

1. Design the hazard completely out of the equipment (like add more cars to the train in this case).

2. If not possible, cover the hazard in such a way that the hazard is inaccessible under all foreseeable circumstances (can’t cover the tunnel or lower the tracks).
[Note: Didn’t foresee the injured worker finding a “special” way to access the hazard? Call the lawyers.]

3. If not possible, shield the hazard in such a way that the hazard can’t be foreseeably accessed during “normal” operation (but can for stuff like cleaning) and add suitable warning labels as needed (can’t shield the tunnel).
[Note: Ibid on the lawyers for suitable, as needed, and foreseeable.]

4. If not possible, add suitable warning labels as needed (or floating spheres!?).
[E,g. Some of the equipment I worked on had large augers that would not function as needed if covered, so labels alone had to mitigate the hazard.]

Otteration fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 14, 2022