Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

Just buy Lego it's always the correct answer

I got my nieces Lego

Just try to resist the temptation to build the Lego for her "because she's too young".

(No, I'm not still bitter about many relatives doing exactly that to me in my childhood. :argh: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Lego is a good idea, there are some classic Steineboxen which are great for creativity. I'd recommend the 1500 parts one + a big baseplate. But ask the parents what she already has.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Inzidenz is going down a teensy bit, and even Lauterbach is hinting at some "modest" reopening soon-ish. Let's see how drastic the Lockerungen will be.

By the way, I don't think anything but the most toothless Impfpflicht is going to make it out of the Bundestag.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
The answer to what should i get a kid is always: books.

nawilo_420 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 13, 2022

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, quality children's books are always welcome in my experience. Kästner is a good start. Das doppelte Lottchen for example. Lindgren's Michel or Kinder von Bullerbü may be a good fit as well.

They are all still Vorleseterritory at that at age though. Which is an added bonus, if you have the option.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Comedy option: drum set

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Hopper posted:

Yeah, quality children's books are always welcome in my experience. Kästner is a good start. Das doppelte Lottchen for example. Lindgren's Michel or Kinder von Bullerbü may be a good fit as well.

They are all still Vorleseterritory at that at age though. Which is an added bonus, if you have the option.

Hey thanks for the tips - it is difficult as a foreigner to get a hold of German children's literature classics. I might get those for my kids.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Inzidenz is going down a teensy bit, and even Lauterbach is hinting at some "modest" reopening soon-ish. Let's see how drastic the Lockerungen will be.

By the way, I don't think anything but the most toothless Impfpflicht is going to make it out of the Bundestag.

Am I reading that right and Germany has a 40% positive rate? Also we in Austria did a toothless Impfpflicht and now there's already a lot of noise about getting rid of it from the parties that did it. Lmao, utter waste of time.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Son of Rodney posted:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Much like adults, kids like getting money

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

I gave my niece one of these big piano mats with a built-in synth that can do both musical instruments but also animal voices for her third (I think?) birthday. The kid loved it, the parents "loved" it :smug:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hopper posted:

Yeah Lego is a good idea, there are some classic Steineboxen which are great for creativity. I'd recommend the 1500 parts one + a big baseplate. But ask the parents what she already has.

I’d actually go for the Minecraft Steineboxen (if they are still available). Both my nieces (9 and 11) are totally into Minecraft (and Animal Crossing, and Pokémon) and imo they provide better bricks than the typical, modern steinebox. No baseplate IIRC, but I’d source that one from a third party like Wange, where it’s easy to separate from “true” Lego once they want to sell it again.

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 13, 2022

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Much like adults, kids like getting money

Nah, they can't even go to the store on their own. I guess they'd like 2€ for the Kaugummi automat but Lego sounds sensible

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Combine music and Lego and get the vidyo stuff that’s on clearance

https://steinehelden.de/search?sSearch=vidyo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Baseplate is stupid. My cars and spaceships and dinosaurs and spaceships don't need no baseplate

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Spice World War II posted:

I gave my niece one of these big piano mats with a built-in synth that can do both musical instruments but also animal voices for her third (I think?) birthday. The kid loved it, the parents "loved" it :smug:

That and a drum set for maximum carnage imo

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Healbot posted:

That and a drum set for maximum carnage imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbWPklDIVFc

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Throw in a pair of Vuvuzelas.

tuo posted:

I’d actually go for the Minecraft Steineboxen (if they are still available). Both my nieces (9 and 11) are totally into Minecraft (and Animal Crossing, and Pokémon) and imo they provide better bricks than the typical, modern steinebox. No baseplate IIRC, but I’d source that one from a third party like Wange, where it’s easy to separate from “true” Lego once they want to sell it again.

I'm willing to bet that they're right on the verge of dropping Minecraft for Roblox, which is concerning.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can definitely get reasonably good synths for less than a Switch costs, if a kid's into making music this is not the worst idea. Although one with a keyboard i.e. a recognizable interface that teaches/builds on transferrable skills will run you a bit more.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm willing to bet that they're right on the verge of dropping Minecraft for Roblox, which is concerning.

While I’d be up with that as I’m planning to sell all of my (mostly OVP) Lego stuff, I’m not sure….as a video game nerd, I’m actually impressed at how much Minecraft seems to be interesting for kids (Man könnte fast meinen, die Menschen bei Microsoft wussten, warum sie dafür so viel Geld ausgegeben haben).

I’d have to check if I have more hours in Stardew Valley or Minecraft (I bet it’s Minecraft) but VR Minecraft was something I actually removed the headset, checked the clock and couldn’t believe that I just basically played for like eight hours in VR…I don’t even do this in racing sims….

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Son of Rodney posted:

if you hate everyone, a violin is much worse. a violin, badly played, is both surprisingly loud and off-key.

that said, drum kit, but unironically.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxfZtxcujk

Just watched this and it is good imo

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
*taps sign*

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've seen this and my first reaction was "do we even still have that many left?"

Ukrainischer Botschafter trinkt einen Vodka zu viel, rastet völlig aus

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Libluini posted:

I've seen this and my first reaction was "do we even still have that many left?"

Let's just give all the working Panzers (yes both of them) to Ukraine and see how much that helps lol

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Libluini posted:

In fairness, can't really blame them for being pissed after "Oh yes, we'll help you with, uh, some helmets".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Word of the day: das All (space)

I like it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

suck my woke dick posted:

Let's just give all the working Panzers (yes both of them) to Ukraine and see how much that helps lol

Imho, it would have been a good idea to just mothball all our old DDR-tanks for cases like this. Maybe even cheaper than just scrapping them, plus now we could have had thousands of "non-lethal" rusted wrecks we could have given Ukraine as Panzerattrappen.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
In fairness, Ukraine actually asked for helmets (I think 100,000) among other tactical equipment. But yeah, Germany sending only sending 5000 was pretty bad optics.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Phlegmish posted:

Word of the day: das All (space)

I like it

Next word of the day:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
W... why are we so super hesitant to clearly position us against Russia? Is there more to it than our reliance on Russian gas?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Tarquinn posted:

W... why are we so super hesitant to clearly position us against Russia? Is there more to it than our reliance on Russian gas?

https://podcasts.apple.com/de/podcast/germany-nato-and-the-ukraine-crisis/id1079958510?i=1000550546680

If you are interested this podcast covers your question fairly well. To sum it up in one sentence, it is nuanced and Germany has 'Special Interests and connections' with Russia.
Also, the guest speaker is Dr. Ulrike Franke who has her own podcast https://sicherheitspod.de/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tarquinn posted:

W..why are you so horny for war?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Dick Ripple posted:

https://podcasts.apple.com/de/podcast/germany-nato-and-the-ukraine-crisis/id1079958510?i=1000550546680

If you are interested this podcast covers your question fairly well. To sum it up in one sentence, it is nuanced and Germany has 'Special Interests and connections' with Russia.
Also, the guest speaker is Dr. Ulrike Franke who has her own podcast https://sicherheitspod.de/

Thanks.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Quite the opposite. In my opinion, a clear position from Germany would help prevent it.

Edit: Of course, I know poo poo all about this topic, and I am open to other opinions. That's pretty much why I asked in the first place.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 14, 2022

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

There was this time roughly 80 years ago where we were very obviously the bad guys and Russia is the successor state of one of the biggest victims of that time.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A bunch of bougie Germans seem to think that the bad stuff Opa did "in Russland" didn't include Ukraine and that you can make up for Nazism by letting the super chuddy current Russian Federation punch around other Eastern Europeans

A bunch of leftist Germans seem to think that imperialism is good as long as it's not NATO doing it

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Shouldn't telling Putin that the invasion is going to be expensive economically make war less likely? If he thinks it's easy and we'll let it slide the war is definitely coming

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's different philosophies at work. Some believe that Russia stomping its neighbours like a bull in a chinastore brings further instability and insecurity to the rest of Europe, so intervening in the form of a threat of sanctions and propping up the underdog would reduce the risk of things going bad.

The opposing view is that it's none of our business or something that can be helped with, better isolate instead of getting our nose deep into people's businesses and possibly escalating things by our presence.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be the usual.Tip-toe around and hand-wring quite a lot, then watch and say "nothing we could have done" and then lament how X product/resource Ukraine had is now more expensive because prices are now dictated by Russia.

But at least we didn't risk our trade relationship with Russia because otherwise we would have had to come up with a solution to being dependent on their gas.

If we were able to get a united strong EU answer to Russia, that might actually have an effect, however "united answers" are not even possible in Inlands Fragen as Covid has shown repeatedly.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 14, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

The opposing view is that it's none of our business or something that can be helped with, better isolate instead of getting our nose deep into people's businesses and possibly escalating things by our presence.

This view is also mindlessly stupid, considering Putin's demands included wanting Poland and the Baltic States to leave NATO again, which in no way sounds suspicious.

I'm certainly sleeping soundly at night, knowing a military dictator is trying to occupy a country just on the other side of Poland. Hell, Kaliningrad is in Poland and probably close enough to Berlin to really gently caress with us if Putin wants too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The thing that escalated this the first two times was Ukrainians getting the idea that they could determine their own government, and what's escalating it now is them getting the idea that there must be an alternative to the either do what Russia wants or be invaded paradigm