Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing those are to knock people off the top of the train?

Sure as hell isn't to kindly ask them to please get off the loving train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Otteration posted:

Gonna guess that the spheres are to warn of a tunnel ahead and are not made of concrete (looks like plastic or maybe Al).

The hazard mitigation hierarchy for equipment manufacturers in the US (based mostly on precedence in tort law for commercial applications) goes something like:

Where possible:

1. Design the hazard completely out of the equipment (like add more cars to the train in this case).

2. If not possible, cover the hazard in such a way that the hazard is inaccessible under all foreseeable circumstances (can’t cover the tunnel or lower the tracks).
[Note: Didn’t foresee the injured worker finding a “special” way to access the hazard? Call the lawyers.]

3. If not possible, shield the hazard in such a way that the hazard can’t be foreseeably accessed during “normal” operation (but can for stuff like cleaning) and add suitable warning labels as needed (can’t shield the tunnel).
[Note: Ibid on the lawyers for suitable, as needed, and foreseeable.]

4. If not possible, add suitable warning labels as needed (or floating spheres!?).
[E,g. Some of the equipment I worked on had large augers that would not function as needed if covered, so labels alone had to mitigate the hazard.]

They're not plastic. Read the article.

article posted:

Railway staff in Indonesia have started hanging concrete balls above train tracks to try to prevent commuters from riding on carriage roofs.

The first balls were installed just above carriage-height near a station outside the capital, Jakarta.

More will be put up elsewhere if they are found to keep people off the roofs.

Previous attempts to deter roof riders included spraying roofs with paint, spreading oil on carriages and hiring musicians to perform safety songs.

The balls - which can deliver a severe blow to the head - will be suspended a few inches above the tops of carriages at points where trains enter or pull out of stations, or where they go through crossings.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Oops! Missed the link. Never mind! 😳

Edit: I was gonna suggest pigeon spikes but figured that would be cruel and unusual. So my brain speculated up the kindly tunnel warnings. Never mind again if the barbed wire didn’t work. :(

Otteration fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 14, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMadkJO0Xhg

A lot of the actual movement is programmed by leading the robot, then setting the parameters for start/stop of action. Its very much taught.

Thanks thread, I've learned a lot about robots today :awesomelon:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just can't believe hiring street musicians to play safety songs didn't work

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I didn't know Tesla made diagnostic tools....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kazy posted:

Kids have "only call 911 if it's a REAL EMERGENCY otherwise the police will ARREST YOU" drilled into their heads so hard it makes people wary to call 911 in the event of an actual emergency.

Every kid should be given an opportunity to call emergency services on something that’s a legitimate emergency, but isn’t an immediate threat to anyone’s safety.

Let them get over some of their anxiety when they report that grass fire. Don’t make their first call be for grandma.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cable Guy posted:

I didn't know Tesla made diagnostic tools....

electrochemistry don't care none about whatever's going on outside of the containment

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I once had a music history gen ed in college where the professor held the lecture hall wall phone up to his lav mic and mashed the keys to demonstrate that anything can be music. A minute later the phone rang and it was county 911 asking if everything was ok.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

RFC2324 posted:

I wonder how Lil Mary was brained by the train concrete balls is sung. Is it a polka, bluegrass or a crass yodel?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Platystemon posted:

Every kid should be given an opportunity to call emergency services on something that’s a legitimate emergency, but isn’t an immediate threat to anyone’s safety.

Let them get over some of their anxiety when they report that grass fire. Don’t make their first call be for grandma.

Start a grassfire on a freeway median so your kids have a chance to call 911 :hmmyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kenning posted:

Start a grassfire on a freeway median so your kids have a chance to call 911 :hmmyes:

I take my civic duty very seriously.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 14, 2022

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

No, you have to shame them. Like in Bogota when ticketing people for jaywalking didn't reduce it so they hired mimes and people in zebra suits to make fun of them instead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RFC2324 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

No, you have to shame them. Like in Bogota when ticketing people for jaywalking didn't reduce it so they hired mimes and people in zebra suits to make fun of them instead.

Jaywalking is a victimless crime. Charge cars for not yielding to pedestrians lol.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Jaywalking is a self-victimizing crime

Also you know where I live you cross at the crosswalk and cars stop for you when you do that

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

We need to bring back openly mocking jay driving, going so far as to tar and feather drivers that injure and kill people.

The history of the rich normalizing personal automobiles dominating public roadways and killing anything that gets in their way is very anti OSHA.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mozi posted:

Jaywalking is a self-victimizing crime

Also you know where I live you cross at the crosswalk and cars stop for you when you do that

great yes

but if we're ticketing people for crossing in the middle of a block or something when pedestrian-unfriendly planning means there's not a crosswalk for 5-10 minutes in either direction, the cars should be the ones stopping and the pedestrian shouldn't be paying a fine. you've got the go fast vroom vroom vehicle, you can afford to take a break for 10s to let someone cross.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm not jaywalking, I'm parkouring across the motorway

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
While it's going to make a lot of things suck for a lot of people I'm hoping that the financial hardship brought upon the working classes in the near future ends our hundred year mistake of building our society around personal automobile ownership.

gently caress cars.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Arivia posted:

there's not a crosswalk for 5-10 minutes in either direction

where I used to live it was crossing within 50m of a crosswalk in populated areas and within 100m in unpopulated to be considered jaywalking, otherwise it's just (bubbly) street crossing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

One of my friends got out of a jaywalking ticket because his name is Jay Walker. He told the cop "I just can't help it, it's in my nature," when he handed over his ID.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

McGavin posted:

One of my friends got out of a jaywalking ticket because his name is Jay Walker. He told the cop "I just can't help it, it's in my nature," when he handed over his ID.
The Scorpion and the Hog

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

stopping people from getting hurt riding your train wrong by killing them seems like a weird strategy

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arivia posted:

great yes

but if we're ticketing people for crossing in the middle of a block or something when pedestrian-unfriendly planning means there's not a crosswalk for 5-10 minutes in either direction, the cars should be the ones stopping and the pedestrian shouldn't be paying a fine. you've got the go fast vroom vroom vehicle, you can afford to take a break for 10s to let someone cross.

Where I used to live people chucked random crap with sharp bits on them from the dumpster onto the street from time to time. If you were in too much of a hurry to check the road ahead for pedestrians or two by fours with a bunch of nails sticking out of them well that's on you buddy.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0070030/
Emperor of the north could have learned some from Indonesia

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

jsoh posted:

stopping people from getting hurt riding your train wrong by killing them seems like a weird strategy

I'm sure the more pressing issue is discouraging non-paying passengers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

When people ask you how you're doing and you go "fine, and you?"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm sure the more pressing issue is discouraging non-paying passengers.

Maybe, but it could easily be the razor wire method of security: make something that's only somewhat inherently dangerous so obviously dangerous it's not worth it. Or maybe cleaning mangled bodies out of tunnels is really expensive, idk.

KozmoNaut posted:

When people ask you how you're doing and you go "fine, and you?"

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 14, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Maybe, but it could easily be the razor wire method of security: make something that's only somewhat inherently dangerous so obviously dangerous it's not worth it. Or maybe cleaning mangled bodies out of tunnels is really expensive, idk.

Bueno was never an option

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

We need to bring back openly mocking jay driving, going so far as to tar and feather drivers that injure and kill people.

The history of the rich normalizing personal automobiles dominating public roadways and killing anything that gets in their way is very anti OSHA.
Given the choice, I would rather interact with a mime than a cop, and as a bonus I don't get ticketed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I...have not seen this technique before.

https://twitter.com/haveVglass/status/1493172412120281090?s=20&t=LkdcewdGQvf6BUf1dUwXiA

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I thought they had helper wheels for takeoff, and cars for landing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I assume this is the punishment for the guy who lost the helper wheels

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Just wait until you see what those two can do when it lands! (yes, I know how it actually lands)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bet there was a strong headwind and the ailerons were already effective when it started to roll.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It looks like it's ready to take flight before it even starts moving.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

yeah I thought they had helper wheels for takeoff, and cars for landing

The chase car isn't to support the wings, on landing they just skid on the tips. The chase car is to let the pilot know their exact attitude because to land, the U-2 has to stall at like 2 feet off the ground exactly.

Given how fast that thing was in the air, it must have had a drat good headwind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

It looks like it's ready to take flight before it even starts moving.

It kinda is, being designed to eke out all the lift it can get at extremely high altitudes means it's almost hard to make it not fly in lower, denser air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So that's what they mean by 'wing walking'