Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

leper khan posted:

Now do it without monkey or penguin

Thanks for this post, I won my 9th game ever. Got an early peacock. Briefly had a monkey, penguin and giraffe. Ditched the monkey for an immediate level 2 bison. Kept my stupid mosquito the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't sleep on swans. Economy is super important.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

There's really two games being played there. The fighting and pet order is by far the easier of the two.

Optimizing your economy and coin spending is the harder one.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I feel like food is a trap, and the more important thing to optimize is timing pet upgrades.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

leper khan posted:

Now do it without monkey or penguin

I got my second win a couple games later with pretty much the same comp. Early level 3 into early Buffalo and eventually a penguin + monkey seems a pretty solid strat. You just need to get that Buffalo early on.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Octopath Traveler: Champions Of The Continent is finally getting a NA/EU release! Closed Beta is planned for this spring, so I expect it to relase in the fall, if not winter, of this year.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kheldarn posted:

Octopath Traveler: Champions Of The Continent is finally getting a NA/EU release! Closed Beta is planned for this spring, so I expect it to relase in the fall, if not winter, of this year.

How awful is free-to-play stuff in it?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Paladinus posted:

How awful is free-to-play stuff in it?

I poked around on reddit to answer this; apparently, the gameplay is fun and well made, there's no stamina system, but the gacha systems are abysmal. It sounds like high rarity characters are essential for progress, and pity rate is at 200 pulls meaning you get a pity about once every 10 months. :v:

Of course, there's special banners with a reduced pity of 100 pulls and they'll surely have events that increase the rate at which you gain currency, but it sounds pretty awful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Arzaac posted:

I poked around on reddit to answer this; apparently, the gameplay is fun and well made, there's no stamina system, but the gacha systems are abysmal. It sounds like high rarity characters are essential for progress, and pity rate is at 200 pulls meaning you get a pity about once every 10 months. :v:

Of course, there's special banners with a reduced pity of 100 pulls and they'll surely have events that increase the rate at which you gain currency, but it sounds pretty awful.

Oh well. Gacha is a non-starter for me.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

leper khan posted:

I feel like food is a trap, and the more important thing to optimize is timing pet upgrades.

Nah food is amazing you just need to use it right. Generally I want 5 stats or more per food item. Garlic armor and honey are amazing in the early game and steal you a few wins each. And melon armor is just great in general.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shwqa posted:

Nah food is amazing you just need to use it right. Generally I want 5 stats or more per food item. Garlic armor and honey are amazing in the early game and steal you a few wins each. And melon armor is just great in general.

Garlic honey and melon are good (also shout-out to meat), but early game pears or apples are a total waste.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And sometimes you hardly ever use stat food and get a clean sweep.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

leper khan posted:

Garlic honey and melon are good (also shout-out to meat), but early game pears or apples are a total waste.

Yeah the only i would use an early game pear or apple is if I only have three gold left and there is nothing else in the shop worth buying.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Yeah the only i would use an early game pear or apple is if I only have three gold left and there is nothing else in the shop worth buying.

IMO you're better off rolling 3x looking for matches to freeze.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think I'm on a different wavelength from you guys here. Well, for the pear at least; apples kinda suck and they mostly for when you're running food animals or have 3 gold and don't want to roll.

Pears though, I tend to pick up more often than not. Obviously, because they're double apples, but also because it's tier 4 when they show up. By that point you should have at least one animal you're scaling, and you want to feed him the pear because stats win games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Paladinus posted:

Oh well. Gacha is a non-starter for me.

I love the gacha cycle. A new game drops and immediately there are guides on how to reroll and what to reroll for. Then you get a few months of "it's not bad at all! You don't even need the gacha to progress and it's generous!" Then most people quit and the cycle repeats with the next one

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Len posted:

I love the gacha cycle. A new game drops and immediately there are guides on how to reroll and what to reroll for. Then you get a few months of "it's not bad at all! You don't even need the gacha to progress and it's generous!" Then most people quit and the cycle repeats with the next one

Don't doxx me bro

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Len posted:

Yes, that is the cycle because it gives the most dopamine hits! You get the early generosity, you are rapidly upgrading and progressing, them you hit the wall and quit all while never spending a dime. It's the best way to gacha!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If the game isn't fun when you're not spending money, actually paying up isn't going to suddenly make it fun. Play until it stops being fun then move on.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Len posted:

Ouch, thats me!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
In other pet battle news, Siriliam Ultimate comes out tomorrow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

Just one more reason I stick with DFFOO. They just hit 4 years GL (5 JP), and they're still generous as poo poo.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Arzaac posted:

What did you see in regards to high rarity units being needed? Everything I have seen so far says it’s like Another Eden IE no stamina, horrible gacha rates but strong welfare units and top tier story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Arzaac posted:

I really want countries, Japan especially, to just ban gacha entirety (and I'm sure Japan would be among the last to do so). There has to be some other way to make good games and have them be financially successful without exploiting the various levels of gambling addiction in people.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Fluffy posted:

There has to be some other way to make good games and have them be financially successful without exploiting the various levels of gambling addiction in people.

Oh sure, there is, but it only makes $$$ instead of $$$$$$$$ and thus doesn't happen.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Microtransactions + loot crates are a blight upon society

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Microtransactions + loot crates are a blight upon society

We've come a long way from gamers being mad at Horse Armor

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Len posted:

We've come a long way from gamers being mad at Horse Armor

We shouldn't have. But yeah genie threw that bottle at the sun.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Are there any gatcha games that don't require money or effort? That seems counter-intuitive but something to scratch the itch of opening a bunch of poo poo.

IRL example, one time I found amazon hosed up the pricing algorithm for a dice/card game and my partner and I got a booster box of packs for $7 vs $150 and it was fun to open the packs to see what we got.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 14, 2022

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have been playing Siralim Ulimate for the past few days. It is basically the most updated Siralim experience.

The game seems to start a lot sooner. In previous games the slow trickle of unlocks made the whole story feels like a tutorial. I think you didn't even unlock the ability to buy spells in Siralim 3 until the post game. There is a ton of new monster races and all of the combat art work has updated. The main game is still a butt ugly but at least it looks better in combat now. There are ton of new gods. You can now decorate your castle and move NPCs. There is a ton of new classes and you switch between them with ease.

No longer do you combine monsters to get access to newer monsters. Instead you combine a creature with another can gain both traits. So now you get 2 traits on a monster and a trait on weapon. It is a bit wild. There is just so many team possibilities it can be a bit overwhelming. But you can really just sit down and think of a team each time you unlock a class.

If you enjoy previous Siralim games you will like Ulimate. If you want a monster gather with a heavy focus on synergy than you are in for a good time. You don't need to play the previous games at all, they are all stand alone.

If you want an example of a team here is my current build. I have no idea if it meta or not because I'm trying to go in blind.

I went with the Evoker class. All my monster cast their spells a second time with a 25% chance to cast it a third time and all extra cast don't use gem charges.
I have a monster that has a 20% to have monster cast one their first three damage spell at the start of combat and gave everyone a massive hit AoE spell. That creature also gives another 50% chance to extra cast a spell. Then I got a creature that lets you cast the first spell of combat for free so I don't run out of cast.

Then I got a creature with the traits deal 35% of its intelligence to all enemies each time a spell is cast and a 200% intelligence gain so long at its doesn't receive any stats buff/debuff. This triggers with every cast, including extra cast, of the massive AoE.

Then the rest of the traits are a mixture of damage increase and chance back to life if they die. Most the enemy team dies before the first turn.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Shwqa posted:

You can now decorate your castle and move NPCs.

How do you move NPCs? I didnt see any option in the decoration.

I've literally just hobbled together a team revolving around Hit-All from HellKnight. Ive got a big tanky boy, one massive crit monster, and the rest are filler that either die or do nothing.

I havent touched Spells yet.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kris xK posted:

How do you move NPCs? I didnt see any option in the decoration.

I've literally just hobbled together a team revolving around Hit-All from HellKnight. Ive got a big tanky boy, one massive crit monster, and the rest are filler that either die or do nothing.

I havent touched Spells yet.

In construction mode you talk to the NPCs to move them. I haven't figured out how to move the teleporter yet though.

I tried out a siegemaster just defend and kill stuff build but I didn't quite have it right.

Edit: nevermind you can talk to the teleporter as well to move it. I was standing on it but you need to be facing it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Sean posted:

Are there any gatcha games that don't require money or effort? That seems counter-intuitive but something to scratch the itch of opening a bunch of poo poo.

IRL example, one time I found amazon hosed up the pricing algorithm for a dice/card game and my partner and I got a booster box of packs for $7 vs $150 and it was fun to open the packs to see what we got.

Virtually every gacha will throw free pulls at you initially, they want to get you hooked before they start turning the screws to extract money.

If you go with an old but still-has-a-lot-of-players game, a lot of the stuff you'll be getting in the gacha will make the early game really easy (because it's designed to be powerful enough to appeal to the current whales at the current endgame) and low-effort to speed through.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the trick is to play a gacha until you get bored with it, but don't spend any money. repeat with new gachas until the appeal of high rarity jpgs fades.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Sean posted:

Your best bet is to kind of jump around between different games all the time. Lots of games are pretty generous and give tons of rolls early on for the "new player experience" before petering off.
And then there are others that hand out daily rolls during holidays or anniversaries or whatever.
So you can just play whatever has a promotion going on and don't get too committed to it, then jump ship to the next one.

e: for example this Nier-themed gacha game that I've never heard of or played has an anniversary promo for 220 free pulls right now:

You can install it, do your beginner pulls, tool around for a few days in the gameplay, then if a week if you aren't in love just pitch it and try a new one out.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 15, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I play gacha games until I find one that I enjoy the gameplay of even when the free poo poo runs out. Until then I will leap from gacha to gacha, hoping each time that the next gacha will be the gacha...that will take me home is actually fun.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I've played a whole lot of gachas and the only two to not get discarded by that cycle are Terra Battle and Another Eden. It sucks Terra Battle is gone :(

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
If a gacha is too fun without spending, its game design team failed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There was a gacha I tried not too long ago that gave out tons of stuff and was very free to play friendly and 2 months after launch all the freebies were nerfed to hell and the devs said, "the items were not the intended generosity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Davedave24 posted:

I've played a whole lot of gachas and the only two to not get discarded by that cycle are Terra Battle and Another Eden. It sucks Terra Battle is gone :(

Only Genshin Impact has stood the test of time for me because it's actually enjoyable to play.