Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

site posted:

was that knull

hell yes i loving hope it's knull he is so god drat stupid it's amazing

one day, we will have a live-action Batman Who Laughs as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Mameluke posted:

hell yes i loving hope it's knull he is so god drat stupid it's amazing

Donny Cates came back to Twitter just to say it wasn’t. So who knows.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Am I getting goon face blindness or is the Defenders Strange Ethan Hawke? I know that some actor cameos leaked but not sure if that was one, and given that he's in Moon Knight I doesn't seem that likely

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Am I getting goon face blindness or is the Defenders Strange Ethan Hawke? I know that some actor cameos leaked but not sure if that was one, and given that he's in Moon Knight I doesn't seem that likely

That's Benedict Cumberbatch lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love a good goon face blindness post!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I saw a different pic that makes it clearer but I mean come on!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

Donny Cates came back to Twitter just to say it wasn’t. So who knows.

He denying it is 100% confirmation that it is in fact Knull, in my mind.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

NWH had a really good balance. Sure, the other Spider-Men turned up, but then it used them to expound on the narrative and themes of the film. It had function, it wasn't just fan service for the sake of fan service. That's sort of the ideal. I hope MOM is clever with it, and remains otherwise focused on Strange/Wanda et al but we'll see. I will say from the trailer, the film's imagery looks incredible, might put to bed many of the complaints about Marvel's visual style.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Karloff posted:

NWH had a really good balance. Sure, the other Spider-Men turned up, but then it used them to expound on the narrative and themes of the film. It had function, it wasn't just fan service for the sake of fan service. That's sort of the ideal. I hope MOM is clever with it, and remains otherwise focused on Strange/Wanda et al but we'll see. I will say from the trailer, the film's imagery looks incredible, might put to bed many of the complaints about Marvel's visual style.

The zooming into Wanda's eye is a very Raimi touch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm watching eternals and if DC comics and Batman exist in the MCU he should definitely show up in MoM

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Opopanax posted:

Oh poo poo that's Batman!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Opopanax posted:

I can’t believe Danny McBride starved himself for this cameo

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Karloff posted:

I think MoM will likely go far more insane with the cameos, and that will be totally fine because it's clearly going for the whole "cross ALL the streams" vibe. Sure, go hog wild, this is the film to do that.

NWH worked only because it was so restrained. They could have gone full live-action Spiderverse and had Italian Spider-Man and Japanese Spider-Man and all that, but what would have been the point? It would have no emotional connection to the story, it would just be niche cameos for the sake of niche cameos. It had focus on Tobey spidey as the older dad of the group, Andrew spidey as fun uncle who is still dealing with unresolved loss issues, both of whom are there to give emotional support and life guidance to Tom spidey. It's all a character piece about those three Peters, giving story development to all three of them in ways that were touching and important.

MoM doesn't really have that requirement. The only person really needing a sense of development is Wanda, who is in a (pun intended) Strange place after Wandavision. Other than that, might as well pull out all the stops and show a ton of fun things from the comics that would otherwise never get put into a live action MCU. They've probably got only a couple of chances to do all these multiverse shenanigans before they have to close it all down as a resolved plotpoint in the same way that we're almost certainly not getting time travel again after Endgame (not without leaving it for a few years at least, just to make sure people aren't always expecting these things to be used as props to resolve any storyline).

It seems like a good NWH companion piece too. You had WV and Loki setting up the idea that things are about to get weird, NWH using it for a character study, now Doctor Strange about to bathe in references and insanity. I wish the other movies on the uncoming schedule weren't all so... BIG, but I guess the smaller scale "aaand breath" MCU stuff is now going to be the D+ series in between. More worried about the scale of the films that come after, but right now I'm so ready for MoM to just have all the cameos.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cythereal posted:

The rumor is that she's been going nuts from the Darkhold and that the driving background force of the movie is Cthon.

I feel like torturing her even more by making her got nuts and be evil is a bit too cruel to her.

site posted:

i feel like no way home is a bit different because we all knew that it was gonna be the previous spider men and villains from those movies, but like, that was it. it's still a movie about Spider-Man. but MoM is dr strange 2, and wandavision 2, and Loki 2, and what if 2, and America 1 (and I'm gonna go ahead and guess at least one or two things we haven't seen yet)

it's just a lot

Yea this is exactly how I feel. Some exposition and a "oh hey its them!" reaction.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Karloff posted:

Also, how long will it be till they start crossing over Star Wars with Marvel? I like both but have no desire to see them combine.

well, there WAS this game called Disney Infinity...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone on Earth lost someone, very few made mindslaves of thousands of people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe Fisto posted:

My brain has some smooth parts so when I see a neat trailer I just get excited to see the movie. Then when the movie is out I watch it and enjoy it. It’s a simple life, but it works for me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone on Earth lost someone, very few made mindslaves of thousands of people.

I mean most people can't make mindlsaves

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m rewatching the big Avengers team up movies right now and I think my takeaway is I’m totally fine with the ones that have a ton of extra poo poo that ultimately serves the main core plot line (Civil War) over the ones that just try and do a dozen different things and become an unfocused mess (Age of Ultron). So as long as MoM has a strong core of Strange, Wanda, and whatever I’m fine with it going a little crazy around it. That stuff can be fun as long as it fits. Even if you force it a little.

Aphrodite posted:

I mean a lot of them probably did lots of destructive and messed up poo poo. That’s kind of the point. Grief fucks you up. But Wanda’s got super powers so the stakes and responsibility get a lot bigger.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Karloff posted:

Also, how long will it be till they start crossing over Star Wars with Marvel? I like both but have no desire to see them combine.

There's a Park and Rec scene that addresses this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Most of them got them back :colbert:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

site posted:

i was thinking about it last night, like, winter soldier is still my favorite mcu film, and it sucks how we'll probably never get a standalone film like that again because every film has to be 10 different tie ins now

nah, I think it'll go back to "solo plus guests" style movies. I think big super crossovers like this are Marvel trying to retain a audience that sat through 20-odd films over a decade, to try and convince them to sit through another 3x movies a year for the next decade too.

so they bring out their box of freshly bought Fox toys, pay all sorts of big actors and ones people are nostalgic for a shitload of money and open this wide story with a million different doorways to other world to sell audiences on the idea that they are willing to spend money, acquire talent and go nuts to keep giving audiences what they want as long as they keep buying tickets

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm willing to spend that money.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The trailer for the new Dr. Strange looks pretty cool plus I like Sam Raimi.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just found out about the scrapped LEGO Batman sequel that would've been written by Dan Harmon and Michael Waldron (who wrote both Loki and Multiverse of Madness):

https://twitter.com/michaelwaldron/status/1404432208681648137

It is a bummer this never happened.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's not as if the first Doc Strange film was particularly good so like, why not kitchen sink dis mofo :cheersdoge:

I'm worried about the soundtrack more than anything else.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

I just found out about the scrapped LEGO Batman sequel that would've been written by Dan Harmon and Michael Waldron (who wrote both Loki and Multiverse of Madness):

https://twitter.com/michaelwaldron/status/1404432208681648137

It is a bummer this never happened.

Any idea why it didn't? Did the Lego Batman movie under-perform or something?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

I'm not sure if it was the only reason but Universal bought Lego from WB in 2020 and that was definitely the final nail in the coffin

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

Universal bought the LEGO rights.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Jamesman posted:

TwoPair posted:

I'm not sure if it was the only reason but Universal bought Lego from WB in 2020 and that was definitely the final nail in the coffin

The Lego Movie 2 significantly underperformed, which might have had something to do with WB oversaturating the market in 2017 by releasing Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago in the same year.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I honestly forget Lego Movie 2 existed.

I also didn't know that Universal bought the Lego rights.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mameluke posted:

It’s a premise so laser-targeted at making money that the only reason I think we might NOT get one is that any WB executive who survived hearing the phrase “Batman VS Edgy Evil Batman…” would probably die instantly of a heart attack and/or priapism upon hearing the words “… except Edgy Evil Batman is also The Joker, somehow.”

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I swear if Joker shows up in The Batman, even as a Begins style tease, I will be so mad

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

I'm worried about the soundtrack more than anything else.

The soundtrack was one of the best things about the first movie, and I know that Elfman has…complicated feelings in regards to using other peoples’ music in his soundtracks. He seemed happy to use Brian Tyler’s and Alan Silvestri’s themes in Age of Ultron and John Williams’ Superman theme in Justice League, but he fell out with Raimi previously over being asked to include themes from Hellraiser in Spider-Man 2, as I recall. I just hope he uses Michael Giacchino’s themes, even if he chooses to iterate on them like he did with Silvestri’s Avengers theme.

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

Phylodox posted:

The soundtrack was one of the best things about the first movie, and I know that Elfman has…complicated feelings in regards to using other peoples’ music in his soundtracks. He seemed happy to use Brian Tyler’s and Alan Silvestri’s themes in Age of Ultron and John Williams’ Superman theme in Justice League, but he fell out with Raimi previously over being asked to include themes from Hellraiser in Spider-Man 2, as I recall. I just hope he uses Michael Giacchino’s themes, even if he chooses to iterate on them like he did with Silvestri’s Avengers theme.

Elfman has said he plans to use the Giacchino theme because he hates it when they throw out character themes in sequels. I imagine his falling out with Raimi was partly due to Raimi being far more particular and overbearing with what he wanted on Spider-Man 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1493405471113457666?s=20&t=opxGQA7sC7a2PYfltbzLlA

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I swear if Joker shows up in The Batman, even as a Begins style tease, I will be so mad

He's literally DC's most popular and profitable character. Like, I absolutely get what you're saying, but... prepare yourself for disappointment.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's gonna be really funny when The Batman has a sequel hook that will go absolutely nowhere.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Opopanax posted:

Surprise Reveal!

Robert Pattinson will have turned out to be playing the Joker the whole time, he's so crazy he just thinks he's Batman. Riddler is trying to get him to wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The role of the Joker in The Batman will be filled by me after I become the Joker (because they put the Joker in the movie)