Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AlasdairMack66/status/1493521049756913666?s=19

Lmao Labour has nothing but demanding that the Tories be more tory or they'll do it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Realized what a bubble I must be in today. Had a lift in a car today with a friend who knows quite a lot of the Westminster MP crowd, has been in the Labour party for decades, and is generally well-versed in politics.

He didn't know what a gammon was and thought it was a term I had made up, nor an incel. He asked me what 'woke' meant and had never heard the term 'social justice warrior'.
Obviously we hang around in completely different circles!

I guess he is more typical of the average 'politically informed' people than maybe we are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
War on woke update
https://twitter.com/destructo9000/status/1493507536762384384

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Nightmare mate, I was in a similar situation when my partner's dad was our landlord. It was lovely for the (relatively) cheap rent for the area, but of course having someone you have a personal relationship with have absolute control over your housing can lead down some pretty unpleasant roads, especially if like me you had no formal rental contract or any legal protections. In our case he decided he wanted the flat back with a few months notice despite it being our home for six or seven years and there was gently caress all we could do about it. Thankfully we've managed to find another place and it's pretty nice, but especially with the pandemic we were kinda in the poo poo for a good few months and it's sometimes hard not to hold a grudge. Informal renting from family/friends often looks like a really great deal at first, but I'd seriously suggest anyone in that position to very carefully consider whether it's worth it if they have a choice in the matter, because your living arrangements have basically zero security. I hope you get something sorted soon though, even if I can't offer any specific advice.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
lol UK taxpayer money has paid to keep pedo Andrew out of jail.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1493619801834627073

"I'm innocent, but take all my money if you stop this lawsuit. But I'm innocent, like...."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Well there's a lot of reasons you might go for a settlement. One of them is if you're a massive pedo who doesn't like jail

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1493592873262104576

Probably go and get some now.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Free tests scrapped to pay for Andy's settlement

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Christ, I get winding down some restrictions, but scrapping free tests is an insane move.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Covid cases drop to zero :toot:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

covid zero plan babyeeee

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The public health consequences of this, and of scrapping self-isolation, are going to be profound. But we will never know about it, except for the suspiciously high rates of heart disease, strokes, and excess deaths in the months and years and decades (yes, decades) to come

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ, I get winding down some restrictions, but scrapping free tests is an insane move.

Haven't you heard? Covid is over baby

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

The public health consequences of this, and of scrapping self-isolation, are going to be profound. But we will never know about it, except for the suspiciously high rates of heart disease, strokes, and excess deaths in the months and years and decades (yes, decades) to come
itym the reduced costs of care as the entire economy regears to cater to a dozen homeowners.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tfw you've ran out of things to privatise on Earth

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1493627604708036620?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why bother parceling it out by country? That's outdated nation-state thinking for a transglobalized future. Just do it based on residence and making use of.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

quote:

"Property rights play a key role in boosting living standards, innovation and human dignity here on Earth.

Not sure lunar landlords will be better than regular landlords in that regard, somehow

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Why bother parceling it out by country? That's outdated nation-state thinking for a transglobalized future. Just do it based on residence and making use of.

The first squatters possession cases on the moon will be *glorious.*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The problem with capitalism is you eventually run out of other people's assets.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

sebzilla posted:

I mean there's already a golf course on the moon so landlords is par for the course

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

This is when one simply legalises slavery and trades people as a commodity

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

This is when one simply legalises slavery and trades people as a commodity

I'd argue the current economy is actually rather better for capitalists than slavery was - you had to keep slaves fed and clothed even when there wasn't work for them to do, but zero-hours contracts get round that little inconvenience.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
how much is a lateral flow test going to cost?

Like 7 in a box at the price of the ones you had to buy for travel is over £100 a box.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you had to keep slaves fed and clothed even when there wasn't work for them to do

No, you didn't. You could sell them. (Or let them starve for that matter, but selling them more profitable.)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if you sell your slaves you can't ring them up and give them half an hour's notice to get into work or they're getting no more shifts this week

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

No, you didn't. You could sell them. (Or let them starve for that matter, but selling them more profitable.)

Not really, almost all slave labour was in agriculture, and that's pretty rigidly cyclical. Selling all your slaves once harvest was over, when nobody wanted any, and then buying them back in spring, when everyone wants them, isn't really that practical. Same problem with letting them starve - you needed strong backs, and (most) slave owners were sensible enough to realise that having them drop dead in the field half way through the sowing season because you let them starve over winter was a pretty expensive way of doing things.

Obviously slavery as practiced in Rome or Nazi Germany was rather different but even then reliant on a solid, constant stream of new conquests to keep the labour supply up. See also constant chivvying away at the welfare state to ensure there's always lots of desperate people willing to work at not-quite-subsistence wages.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
going back a bit for the corbynista real doll

sort of ballsy (maybe this is the kink) to put your yard on twitter, somebody is going to recognize that yellow brick road

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how much is a lateral flow test going to cost?

Like 7 in a box at the price of the ones you had to buy for travel is over £100 a box.

The current cost to buy them is roughly £4 for a box of 5 lateral flow tests at the moment. PCRs are more expensive.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

mediaphage posted:

going back a bit for the corbynista real doll

sort of ballsy (maybe this is the kink) to put your yard on twitter, somebody is going to recognize that yellow brick road

I don't understand this post at all

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm sure that blockchain will solve this, somehow

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

serious gaylord posted:

The current cost to buy them is roughly £4 for a box of 5 lateral flow tests at the moment. PCRs are more expensive.

There are "express" PCR services near me that look to be private ventures, charging up to £70 per test. It's still 24hrs before you get a result just like going to a free one though, so no idea what makes them express.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Presumably this extra "cost" is for the stamp on the certificate at the end.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now that we've thrown off the shackles of the EU, I think it's time to revisit innovative and disruptive ideas like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWZslOfEjs

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1493652600255926277

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure he'll lose interest as soon as someone explains the difference between campaigning and bidding to him.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

he wants more victims you see

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If anyone is in a position to warn others of the cost of sex trafficking underaged girls it appears to be him.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now that we've thrown off the shackles of the EU, I think it's time to revisit innovative and disruptive ideas like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWZslOfEjs

If you thought fracking was bad. :stonklol:

Can we frack Lord Frost, he's already in favour of it himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Call me crazy but I feel like if privatization schemes were capable on delivering on some vague promise of solving inequality and poverty, it would've done so on Earth already where even the water is privately owned.

In fact I feel like somebody already nailed down what enclosure is, its likely future course, and the implications therein quite a long time ago, I wonder why nobody has tried using the stuff he talked about as the basis for one of these articles :thunk: