Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
Anyone know how soon until I can pay extra for Blood for the Blood God?
How soon is now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

This time around it'd be kind of hard to not relate a new faction's campaign to the main mechanic though, since the rifts apparently pop up all over the map. So even if, say, Chaos Dwarves have a campaign that doesn't care about Ursun, their campaign would still have to deal with the rift issue and its corruption plus army spawns. In Vortex that wasn't an issue, since nothing involved in that race actually effected the main game map (with the exception of spawned Chaos armies getting stuck in your territory, which is just a bug).

I know they didn't do it with the Vortex, but I wonder if there's any chance of them just turning off the main campaign mechanic in the background for factions with different goals. Probably not, but if it ends up being super annoying I'll do it with mods anyway.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sasgrillo posted:

I feel like people are being too pessimistic with regards to the combined map. Mortal Empires came out nearly a month after Warhammer 2 was released. I feel like CA is very aware of how much their community wants it. There's no way they haven't been working on it in tandem with the rest of the game. But we'll know for sure when they put out the roadmap.

Even if it takes a while, I'm hoping some modder goes to work and provides a better experience in the meanwhile. I played a complete Vortex campaign exactly twice in over 1000 hours of WH2 gameplay, and I'm not expecting the game 3 campaign to be any better (in fact it seems a lot worse from what I've read so far).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played as ingle ME campaign lol.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Mordja posted:

I haven't played as ingle ME campaign lol.

I swapped over largely but I don’t remember even being unhappy with the vortex. Annoyed a little maybe.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I got pretty salty the first time I played when the ritual stacks started razing my non-ritual cities everywhere. In retrospect it's pretty funny though.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Maybe it was Kroq Gar? I remember being able to keep a handle on it but I loving love building tall.

e: i’m starting to suspect they made this game for me sorry everybody

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ah fun, another Total Warhammer game I will inevitably buy because I like the idea of it, then get totally overwhelmed and eventually stop playing

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Ah fun, another Total Warhammer game I will inevitably buy because I like the idea of it, then get totally overwhelmed and eventually stop playing

They made a tutorial!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

From what I understand I think the Cathay campaign is a totally reasonable backup for people who think the main campaign sounds overwhelming too. Sucks if your favorite factions are Kislev or Undivided, but otherwise it might be worth a shot.

It's obviously a lot shorter and more constrained, so I'm not saying it's a replacement, just hey if you want to play something you're more confident you can finish it's there.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I now have Total Warhammer on my computer but I cannot play it. This is a crime.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah im tired of all the preview stuff, just want to play it myself at this point

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Besides the ton of potential mortal lords for the Chaos factions, what units are there? I’m seeing the Mutalith Vortex Beast, Chaos Warshrine, Chaos Ogres and the Slaughterbrute on a list of 8th edition WoC units. There are a few god-aligned Nurgle and Khorne models, but they were introduced in the End Times, and I don’t think CA has been clear how they’ll handle that. They could always add specific god-flavored WoC and Norse units to each god’s roster. There have been plenty of dlc units that were relatively boring but filled a role on certain underpopulated rungs of the tech ladder, but they’ll want to add some flashy stuff too.

They could easily add more god-specific Chaos warriors and Marauders. Even if there aren't necessarily any rules for Chaos Warriors of Nurgle, for example, it really isn't a stretch to take inspiration from the Plague Guard, or just what the Mark of Nurgle does for champions and extrapolate it to a unit.

They would be inventing the unit in a very strict sense, but it is probably the shortest "stretch" they could make and they would be an opportunity to make them look cool as hell.

Edit: Actually, you know what would be rad? If you could get "Mark of ____" banners that you could slap onto units and the mark would change the stats and appearance of the unit. So you slap a mark of Khorne on some chaos warriors and they become chaos warriors of Khorne, same deal with the other gods. That could be really fun.
Or it could work a little like the scrap upgrades for Orcs, where each type of unit has some specific marks/gifts you can apply to them for some sort of cost.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 15, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sinteres posted:

From what I understand I think the Cathay campaign is a totally reasonable backup for people who think the main campaign sounds overwhelming too. Sucks if your favorite factions are Kislev or Undivided, but otherwise it might be worth a shot.

It's obviously a lot shorter and more constrained, so I'm not saying it's a replacement, just hey if you want to play something you're more confident you can finish it's there.

So the co op campaigns take place on a smaller map?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I was impressed with Mandalore's review, he was fair in pointing out some of the game's shortcomings.

I didn't hear him use the "Marv getting electrocuted" sound anywhere though, so the whole video must therefore be condemned

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

They could easily add more god-specific Chaos warriors and Marauders. Even if there aren't necessarily any rules for Chaos Warriors of Nurgle, for example, it really isn't a stretch to take inspiration from the Plague Guard, or just what the Mark of Nurgle does for champions and extrapolate it to a unit.

They would be inventing the unit in a very strict sense, but it is probably the shortest "stretch" they could make and they would be an opportunity to make them look cool as hell.

If you look at what mortal units the various mono-God factions currently get you can probably extrapolate that most of them are eventually going to get their own versions of most of those, not the most exciting thing in the world necessarily but would be alright for a free update that brings Warriors of Chaos up to date and helps round out and expand the different rosters.

At the moment (unless I'm missing something) we have

Marauders (Slaanesh)
Chaos Warriors (Khorne)
Mounted Marauders (Slaanesh)
Mounted Chaos Warriors/Knights (Tzeentch and Khorne)
Forsaken (Nurgle and Tzeentch)
Chariot (Khorne and Slaanesh, not quite sure about Slaanesh can't quite remember if all their chariots are driven by Daemons or not)
EDIT: Add in some variants on Beastmen units, as there's already precedent for that with Khorne Minotaurs.

I think it's a pretty good bet that all of the mono-God factions will get at least these units. Many of these currently come with multiple different weapon options, though since Khorne has dual weapons and Tzeentch has whips and weird bone-spears I don't imagine each of the god-variants will have the same (or same number) of variants.

I don't see additional and more unique mortal/non-Daemonic units as unlikely at all really, it's just that as far as I'm concerned this is the baseline I'm pretty sure will be applied to all of them in due time.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 15, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Grumio posted:

I was impressed with Mandalore's review, he was fair in pointing out some of the game's shortcomings.

I didn't hear him use the "Marv getting electrocuted" sound anywhere though, so the whole video must therefore be condemned

*smugly scoffs at post* I see someone doesn't watch the credits

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So the co op campaigns take place on a smaller map?

I haven't seen any comparisons, but I feel like they must since one is only focused on Kislev and its environs while the other is focused on Cathay and doesn't let you play as Kislev.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

i bet a lot of people couldn’t hear it over their brain screaming “did he just say don’t buy it yet?”

Woodywoo01
Jan 15, 2019

Grumio posted:

It appears after the end credits, at 1:09:10.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The mortal chaos followers would be more exciting if they got more model work instead of a tint applied. Like the Tzeentch doom knights should have a different look than standard beyond the blue armor.

Also I just look forward to the mod that puts a 5000 turn timer on rift spawns or whatever. The Vortex map was way better to me than the ME map, so I played way more games on it, but lmao at ever doing the vortex mechanics.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The various Daemonic factions are the one time they'll probably end up pulling stuff directly from End Times/AoS/40k since Chaos is kind of shared throughout the universes, at least to an extent. So I could see Tzaangors being ported, but not named characters like that big fat Slaaneshi guy on a palanquin.

What I'm saying is ya boy, the Sloppity Bilepiper is a shoe-in.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 15, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Eimi posted:

The mortal chaos followers would be more exciting if they got more model work instead of a tint applied. Like the Tzeentch doom knights should have a different look than standard beyond the blue armor.

It seems like that only happened with Tzeentch for whatever reason though. The Slaanesh marauders and Khorne Chaos warriors have pretty distinct look and aren't just a recolor.

Mordja posted:

The various Daemonic factions are the one time they'll probably end up pulling stuff directly from End Times/AoS/40k since Chaos is kind of shared throughout the universes, at least to an extent. So I could see Tzaangors being ported, but not named characters like that big fat Slaaneshi guy on a palanquin.

Oh yeah, marked version of some Beastmen units could also be a thing that happens for them (and the Beastmen). Technically Khorne already has that already actually with their Minotaurs. Also worth keeping in mind that the mono-God factions aren't really Daemon factions, they all have a mix of mortal and Daemon units (with Nurgle having the least mortals I think and Khorne and Slaanesh the most). Currently they only have Daemon cahracters with the exception of their cultists, but I magine this is going to change in the future.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 15, 2022

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
As someone who's pretty lore ignorant, were Chosen always just a WoC only unit? It feels weird that the chosen of the chaos gods don't actually make the roster of any of them, but chaos warriors and marauders are represented.

At least with WoC holding territory now you can theoretically ally with them and build an Outpost if you want Chosen or Hellcannons.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

It seems like that only happened with Tzeentch for whatever reason though. The Slaanesh marauders and Khorne Chaos warriors have pretty distinct look and aren't just a recolor.

Yeah, it makes me think they might have run out of time with a couple of the units. The Slaanesh stuff in general is really well done and extensively changed. The Tzeench stuff outside the blue/pink horrors is mostly just recolors.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

As someone who's pretty lore ignorant, were Chosen always just a WoC only unit? It feels weird that the chosen of the chaos gods don't actually make the roster of any of them, but chaos warriors and marauders are represented.

At least with WoC holding territory now you can theoretically ally with them and build an Outpost if you want Chosen or Hellcannons.

Well the tabletop game didn't actually have mono-God factions, after 6th edition or something it was 3 different army books, Beasts, Warriors and Daemons (and the ability to field allied contingents from the others). I kind of forgot Chosen because they don't feature in any of the rosters at the moment. But I think they were a unit in tabletop as well and could take marks. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if Chosen remain exclusive to the pure Warriors of Chaos faction though (along with Dragon Ogres, Chaos Dragons, Trolls and some other stuff) as one of their unique things over the mono-God factions (who seem like they might end up with a mix of Daemons, mortals and beasts).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 15, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, it makes me think they might have run out of time with a couple of the units. The Slaanesh stuff in general is really well done and extensively changed. The Tzeench stuff outside the blue/pink horrors is mostly just recolors.

To be fair, I don't think there's all that much to pull from in 8th ed. Tzeentch in general has always seemed to me to have the least model representation, with Khorne and Nurgle getting all the love.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

To be fair, I don't think there's all that much to pull from in 8th ed. Tzeentch in general has always seemed to me to have the least model representation, with Khorne and Nurgle getting all the love.

There's nothing stopping them from having the Tzeentch stuff have weird blue crystals or lots of eyes on them. Even something basic like swapping the skulls on the Doom knights for large eyes would have worked.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I think Andy Hall (that's one of CA's lead writers and GW liaisons I tink) confirmed that there had been some issues with not getting all the stuff they wanted into the release due to work from home constraints and such. Specifically I think it was mentioned or hinted at that that's part of the reason all of Kislev's character choices have the same mount options.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Even though he's apparently broken I'll still be enjoying me some Tzeentch I think. The campaign shenanigans looks fun and it's not like I play TW for a soul-crushing challenge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For those who know the Fantasy Rules. How do both incarnations of Nagash here compare to Teclis.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dramicus posted:

There's nothing stopping them from having the Tzeentch stuff have weird blue crystals or lots of eyes on them. Even something basic like swapping the skulls on the Doom knights for large eyes would have worked.

Hell Space Marines are already basically Chaos warriors with guns, just borrow some Thousand Sons aesthetics.

Basically overly ornate golden lining, smooth flowing lines, that sort of stuff. His cultist kind of has that look already.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Tzeentch is all about trickery and plots within plots. It's hard to be sneaky and tricky if you've got a gazillion eyes or crystals growing out of your body. Tzeenntch cults, along with Slaanesh, tend to be the best at subverting and sneaking into human and elf societies, because they tend to be the least mutated.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm the weirdo who is more excited for the diplomacy changes. Actually making it worthwhile to have an ally rather than a faction I choose to not attack while ignoring their pleas for an alliance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Tzeentch is all about trickery and plots within plots. It's hard to be sneaky and tricky if you've got a gazillion eyes or crystals growing out of your body. Tzeenntch cults, along with Slaanesh, tend to be the best at subverting and sneaking into human and elf societies, because they tend to be the least mutated.

That's still not really a good argument for the Tzeentch Knights just being retints essentially, they still look like a Chaos warrior and have lots of fur and skulls on their armor. I think it's probably just something they didn't manage to get around to, but still wanted the unit on the roster. Hopefully they'll add in a more distinctive Tzeentch knights model eventually, if not, while that's disappointing, mods will probably find a way. There were some good custom models and such towards the end of Warhammer 2.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Tzeentch just uses polymorph magic to conceal whatever needs to be hidden. Guy looks totally normal, convinces you to do something you shouldn't then when you realize what you've done, bam, he's got 50 eyes and he's cackling.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

DaysBefore posted:

Woodywoo01 posted:

It appears after the end credits, at 1:09:10.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eimi posted:

Hell Space Marines are already basically Chaos warriors with guns, just borrow some Thousand Sons aesthetics.

Basically overly ornate golden lining, smooth flowing lines, that sort of stuff. His cultist kind of has that look already.

I posted it in the last thread, but I love that Tzeentch Chosen design from the old Warham MMO I never played.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordja posted:

Tzeentch has some good model representation. But it's primarily on the Daemon side instead of the Mortal one. Like even in AoS which has the largest mortal roster for Tzeentch has less then the other chaos gods, and it's primarily just heroes.

Acolytes (Marauder Equivalents. Also should be noted they are not actually buff supermen, they are just using magic to make themselves look like that.)

Tzaangors

Tzaangor Elites on Discs (Come in Melee or Ranged)

Magister (Tzeentch Sorcerer can be put on a Disc)

Tzaangor Shaman

Fatemaster (Tzeentch Chaos Lord)

Curseling (Named character from Fantasy

Ogroid Thaumaturge

All Tzaangors are also Beasts of Chaos units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
112GB download commencing. Those Ogres must be some big beefy boys.