Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mylan posted:

Was just watching the TNG 2 parter "Gambit." Why does everyone act like the Psionic Resonator is some amazingly powerful weapon? It requires a Vulcan to operate it, and all it does is shoot slow moving projectiles that are only effective if the target has hostile intentions. Meanwhile a standard phaser can fire beams of light that can not only vaporize any target regardless of their emotional state, it can blast holes in solid rock. Picard says the weapon became useless when the Vulcans embraced peace, but then at the end of the episode he says the Vulcans have vowed to destroy its components because it's too dangerous. It's like, oh no, can't let the ridiculously obsolete weapon fall into the wrong hands I guess?

Fanwank is that it scales up with the amount of hostile intent, so its bad on individuals but good on armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

K'Ehleyr was more interesting in her one episode than Alexander ever was.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SlothfulCobra posted:

K'Ehleyr was more interesting in her one episode than Alexander ever was.

Yeah it was a terrible trade.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

edit: whoops actually this one was a Michael Piller decision. but my grudge against ron moore stands

Per Memory Alpha:

Bastard fridged her. :mad:

S3-11: The Hunted
While evaluating a planet looking to join the Federation, the Enterprise crew captures an escaped criminal who turns out to be a former supersoldier. I think this is the first Star Trek thing James Cromwell appeared in. Didn't think the episode was great because despite Troi getting a decently large part in it, she's mostly flustered and disoriented by the handsome soldier's wily mind, which makes her look like an awkward teenager, and the actor playing the soldier chews the role like some kind of stage pirate. It sucks how nearly every time Troi would have an advantage due to her abilities and counselor background, they instead have her out of her depth and bested by opponents. Kind of like Worf really!

S3-14: A Matter of Perspective
You're a dead man, Apgar!! A dead man!!

S3-16: The Offspring
Data makes Lal. Even though I used to think this episode was sappy, the last two times I watched it, it made me tear up. I know much of that is rooted in nostalgia (and part was me watching it a little drunk), but it's not just that. I've been thinking that a more accomplished writer of serious/hard sci-fi could've done a better job at describing the idea of one android creating another as its child; it certainly wouldn't send it to school, nor would it really have to teach it about concepts by showing them and naming them. It would be interesting to see one robot program another, impart the sum of their knowledge and experiences on it and perhaps find it having different experiences to itself. In that respect, this episode is really clumsy and naive. But I realized that treating the concept more seriously and technically would also make it lose all its heart, and it's really good the way it ended up being. “I will feel it for both of us” is probably always gonna gut me like a fish.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Can we talk about how loving amazing some of the scores were in TNG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFdpXa4XpM

That's from Where Silence Has Lease, one of my favourite TNG episodes because of the soundtrack and its incredible atmosphere. I watched this episode as a 7 year old kid back in the day, and it felt so unnerving. There will never again be this kind of Star Trek episode, where weird poo poo just happens - like Time Squared, another Season 2 quality show.

Also, there's this loving masterpiece from The Best of Both Worlds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZ7E2WC3RI

Never again, sadly. I've read that Rick Berman actually directed the score composers to make the music as bland as hell in the Voyager days because he found some of it distracting. What a dipshit, if true.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The early Romulan theme was also incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBZdkEm8g4Q

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQteSPQvVLI

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That one has been slightly ruined for me. I immediately see a horse playing the sax in my head.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

davidspackage posted:

That one has been slightly ruined for me. I immediately see a horse playing the sax in my head.

Canonical.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

davidspackage posted:

That one has been slightly improved for me. I immediately see a horse playing the sax in my head.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Early TNG has such fun music

https://youtu.be/hlthRAFQnjc

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

davidspackage posted:

I've been thinking that a more accomplished writer of serious/hard sci-fi could've done a better job at describing the idea of one android creating another as its child; it certainly wouldn't send it to school,

Data did put being human like as a good thing, and a lot of school is just learning socializing not just academic skills/knowledge so it does make a certain amount of sense. Also if data just downloaded all his knowledge to her, he may worry about her just becoming a direct clone of himself, not her own person. It is a very interesting question though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Data makes Lal. Even though I used to think this episode was sappy, the last two times I watched it, it made me tear up. I know much of that is rooted in nostalgia (and part was me watching it a little drunk), but it's not just that. I've been thinking that a more accomplished writer of serious/hard sci-fi could've done a better job at describing the idea of one android creating another as its child; it certainly wouldn't send it to school, nor would it really have to teach it about concepts by showing them and naming them. It would be interesting to see one robot program another, impart the sum of their knowledge and experiences on it and perhaps find it having different experiences to itself. In that respect, this episode is really clumsy and naive. But I realized that treating the concept more seriously and technically would also make it lose all its heart, and it's really good the way it ended up being. “I will feel it for both of us” is probably always gonna gut me like a fish.

Good point on better application of android making baby. Sadly, they had a major opportunity to re-examine these topics but ultimately they flubbed it even worse, like, so bad Lal doesn't even come up in Picard when dealing with the Soonlings, IIRC Data doesn't even friggin know about her in the end or doesn't care to ask maybe. Ugh, hard to even recall that absolute nadir of all trek. Data fam deserved better writers.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can we talk about how loving amazing some of the scores were in TNG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFdpXa4XpM

That's from Where Silence Has Lease, one of my favourite TNG episodes because of the soundtrack and its incredible atmosphere. I watched this episode as a 7 year old kid back in the day, and it felt so unnerving. There will never again be this kind of Star Trek episode, where weird poo poo just happens - like Time Squared, another Season 2 quality show.

Also, there's this loving masterpiece from The Best of Both Worlds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZ7E2WC3RI

Never again, sadly. I've read that Rick Berman actually directed the score composers to make the music as bland as hell in the Voyager days because he found some of it distracting. What a dipshit, if true.

The unused opening theme that Dennis McCarthy wrote for TNG was pretty hokey, but I love the motifs from it that get used throughout Season 1.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Penitent posted:

The unused opening theme that Dennis McCarthy wrote for TNG was pretty hokey, but I love the motifs from it that get used throughout Season 1.

Whoa, I didn’t realize this was actually out there.

https://youtu.be/jzpeulsbv8o

Sounds like what ought to play when Picard rises up from within the Enterprise in his mecha.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well then

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1493711532957569027?s=21

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Don't toy with me like this.

Does it say anything about Pegg remaining a writer?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well it's an even again so they've got one more shot at making at least one good nu-trek film

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Well it's an even again so they've got one more shot at making at least one good nu-trek film

I thought Beyond was great. Probably my third favorite film.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So we're doing the DC approach of just throwing everything at the wall no matter how it fits together eh?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Stop stop he's already dead

Chekov I mean, he's dead

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
idk why specifically but I saw the first JJ Trek in theatres twice, I really liked it at the time, not as Trek just as a scifi movie. Then I just never saw the other ones, trailer didn't look great and I don't like looking at that one dude, plus never saw the other star trek movie about khan. and since didn't see second didn't see the third. Mostly heard moaning about both so never felt like I missed anything.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Well, they’ve managed to get rid of the production teams I was interested in, so checks out that they’d be able to get things approved.

I wonder what revenge plot the gang will foil this time?

(Seriously, if you want to win me over immediately, open in media res right after they wrap up a revenge plot, have them receive orders to investigate a gaseous anomaly, then go right to titles.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Khanstant posted:

idk why specifically but I saw the first JJ Trek in theatres twice, I really liked it at the time, not as Trek just as a scifi movie. Then I just never saw the other ones, trailer didn't look great and I don't like looking at that one dude, plus never saw the other star trek movie about khan. and since didn't see second didn't see the third. Mostly heard moaning about both so never felt like I missed anything.

Honestly Beyond is worth checking out on it's own. I think it's a great film, the themes were interesting as an examination of Trek staying around, and has some fun action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfiSpBS8yJE

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They’re going to skip an entire show and just remake First Contact this time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Eimi posted:

Honestly Beyond is worth checking out on it's own. I think it's a great film, the themes were interesting as an examination of Trek staying around, and has some fun action.

Captain, I decoded a message that was using the original post as a carrier wave

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CPColin posted:

Captain, I decoded a message that was using the original post as a carrier wave

:golfclap:

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

They have made it a tradition to absolutely ruin the Enterprise in every outing of JJTrek, culminating in the starship equivalent of the body horror vivisection we saw in Beyond.

How will they top themselves in this new film?

It's truly fascinating to me that the people helming these films just [b]love[\b] showing the enterprise get wrecked and all of it's crew horribly killed and sucked out into space. It's weirdly like they don't even like it that much.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 16, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, it wasn't ruined in Trek 09, it was dented a bit on the nacelle to slow them down.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

MikeJF posted:

Eh, it wasn't ruined in Trek 09, it was dented a bit on the nacelle to slow them down.

I guess I need to go back and watch. I thought Nero's ship had thrashed it pretty good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, a single future-missile hits the Enterprise, smashing out the shields and exploding against the neck, but aside from the people in that room it seems like it's pretty minor, the bigger factor is the shields being depleted. Then Nero recognised the Enterprise and held fire. The worse damage was when debris scrapes one of the nacelles on arrival in orbit; they're limited to warp 4 as a result and have to play catch-up.

It seems more dramatic than it is because the camera won't stop shaking and shining lights in your eyes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 16, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

I guess I need to go back and watch. I thought Nero's ship had thrashed it pretty good.

The Enterprise actually kind of kicks the poo poo out of the Narada. It's trying to escape from the black hole created by the Red Matter implosion at the climax that does more to gently caress it up than anything, and even then it just puts a few stress fractures in the hull and cracks the viewscreen, and it's all repaired by the denouement.

That said, the Enterprise-A is probably also gonna get trashed in Trek 4, but not to the point where we'll need another new Enterprise at least.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

That said, the Enterprise-A is probably also gonna get trashed in Trek 4, but not to the point where we'll need another new Enterprise at least.

Well, we know what it's time for then

Kelvin Excelsior

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Star Trek 2009 and Beyond were really fun. I loved Beyond because it felt most like a feature length episode of a non-existent Kelvinverse TV show. Idris Elba was a great antagonist, and the Yorktown space station was one of the best sci-fi movie locales i’ve seen in many years.

Star Trek Into Darkness was just…meh. Even with Admiral Robocop hamming it up.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Imagine how big those swoopy parts on the JJTrek Ent-B would be

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CPColin posted:

Imagine how big those swoopy parts on the JJTrek Ent-B would be

If it's like this I could dig it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eimi posted:

If it's like this I could dig it.

Yeah, I've seen that take on the Kelvinverse Excelsior floating around for a while now and I really like it. I'm not too keen on either the JJprise or the Discovery, but every one of their respective series' non-hero ships designs have been rather spot on, honestly, the Discoprise being my favorite.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
JJ more like Jar Jar amirite

Seriously though the dude is a legend for somehow pushing two beloved nerd franchises through the grinder of his M Y S T E R Y B O X and squeezing all value he can out of them for his rich overlords.

Funny that somehow Star Wars of all things came out worse from his touch than Trek. I would have never thought that in 2009.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I think that Star Trek, both the movie and TV show universes, needs to realize that not every season needs to feature some massive threat to the entire galaxy or universe.

Star Trek IV fuckin’ owned because it was an occasionally humorous humpback whale time heist to stop an alien probe from destroying Earth’s atmosphere.

Beyond was great because it was just a disaffected MACO soldier wanting vengeance on a Federation outpost for unwittingly abandoning him and his crew to a hellish fate on an unsettled world, very much in the same vein as Khan in ST II.

The Final Frontier was about Spock’s half brother wanting everybody to meet God.

The Undiscovered Country was a political Whodunit detective mystery/jailbreak story, and an allegory about the consequences of end of the real world Cold War.

Generations was about an elderly scientist wanting to find his way back to Space Paradise after being violently torn away from it decades earlier.

Let Star Trek tell some personal stories again and cool it with the sweeping Mass Effect-esque story arcs featuring quadrant-wide genocidal anomalies and antagonists.

Admiral Jean-Luc Picard is almost 100 years old in Star Trek canon. The dude doesn’t need to be engaging in elaborate Jason Bourne-esque fight sequences against fearsome bad guys anymore. He was never that guy to begin with when he was in his late 40’s/early 50’s, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

JJ more like Jar Jar amirite

Seriously though the dude is a legend for somehow pushing two beloved nerd franchises through the grinder of his M Y S T E R Y B O X and squeezing all value he can out of them for his rich overlords.

Funny that somehow Star Wars of all things came out worse from his touch than Trek. I would have never thought that in 2009.

The grand irony being he made Trek 09 explicitly as a demo reel to convince LucasFilm to let him make a new Star Wars film.