Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
lol imagine thinking hosting the olympic games is a good idea in TYOOL 2022.

e: gently caress, snype

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I think 2026 is the same Commonwealth Games that Adelaide turned down about a decade ago despite being the only eligible city in the world at the time (they would have got it just by putting in a nomination). I think they asked a bunch of Calgary-tier Canadian cities after that but none of them wanted to take on the debt/spending and now 10 years later it’s ping ponging between Melbourne and Hobart

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Adelaide, it's okay.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I don’t know why Melbourne wants it tbh, they definitely lost a lot of money from the 1950’s olympics they hosted

I know the Commonwealth Games is the off-brand version so maybe it’s cheaper

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vladimir Poutine posted:

and now 10 years later it’s ping ponging between Melbourne and Hobart

Normally I don't want bad things to happen to Hobart, but give it to Hobart! I'd prefer Sydney though. They actually deserve that curse.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're planning to do most of the Commonwealth Games in regional Vic, I guess if you're going to do these things that's better than having it all in Melbourne. Also with the Commonwealth Games there's a lot less absurd IOC bullshit and white elephant projects. If the Olympic Games was more like the Commonwealth Games it would probably be a good thing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Melbourne were still paying off the '56 Olympics when I graduated High School in 1994.

God I'm old.

Also Melbourne has already had a Commonwealth games. We had them in 2006. So they ended up being a damp squib and a miserable half arsed provincial copy of Sydney 2000.

And from what I am hearing, Melbourne isn't even going to get the 2026 games. They are going to spread them round regional areas. Possibly to keep costs down, or possibly as an excuse to pork barrel some country town electorates by building a velodrome in Shepparton or a canoeing course in Benalla etc.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

dr_rat posted:

Normally I don't want bad things to happen to Hobart, but give it to Hobart! I'd prefer Sydney though. They actually deserve that curse.

We put up with enough disruption in the lead up to the 2000 Olympics. I would actually move to avoid living in another Games city.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

EoinCannon posted:

They're planning to do most of the Commonwealth Games in regional Vic,

Nooooooo! That's where I live!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Bill Posters posted:

Nooooooo! That's where I live!

But don't you want to watch the Faroe Islands vs Scotland bronze medal volleyball match?

Right there in YOUR town! Think of the international prestige.

Edit: Although this makes me think what towns/places will be classified as "regional" Will they just chuck everything in Geelong/Bendigo/Ballarat, and give nothing to the actual country towns? Will they send events all the way out to Warnambool, Mildura and/or Lakes Entrance?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 16, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BrigadierSensible posted:

But don't you want to watch the Faroe Islands vs Scotland bronze medal volleyball match?

Right there in YOUR town! Think of the international prestige.

Picking the sport that most of the world are horniest about as the "don't want this here" sport is maybe not the best choice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
He said volleyball not beach volleyball.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Melbourne were still paying off the '56 Olympics when I graduated High School in 1994.

God I'm old.

Also Melbourne has already had a Commonwealth games. We had them in 2006. So they ended up being a damp squib and a miserable half arsed provincial copy of Sydney 2000.

And from what I am hearing, Melbourne isn't even going to get the 2026 games. They are going to spread them round regional areas. Possibly to keep costs down, or possibly as an excuse to pork barrel some country town electorates by building a velodrome in Shepparton or a canoeing course in Benalla etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAjLHc8vh8

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

~Coxy posted:

He said volleyball not beach volleyball.

Why would you have anything other than beach volleyball in Australia? Even the parts of the country without water are still beach.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Commonwealth Games are so small time that having the rowing on lake Wendouree for a few days won't exactly destroy Ballarat, they were expecting traffic chaos on the gold coast and then the businesses were complaining about the lack of punters

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

EoinCannon posted:

The Commonwealth Games are so small time that having the rowing on lake Wendouree for a few days won't exactly destroy Ballarat, they were expecting traffic chaos on the gold coast and then the businesses were complaining about the lack of punters

Well, the held the olympic rowing at lake wendouree so it can obviously do the comm games rowing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LucyThack/status/1494138555127328769

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LucyThack/status/1494138555127328769

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
https://twitter.com/hg_nelson/status/1494093796979609600

Bandulu
Aug 25, 2008
Do Australians like Yahoo Serious? I enjoyed his brand of cinema much more than Crocodile Dundee as a youngster.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Bandulu posted:

Do Australians like Yahoo Serious? I enjoyed his brand of cinema much more than Crocodile Dundee as a youngster.

I've only seen two of his three films, but there was a point where every state school had an av cart with young Einstein and topgear on vhs

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Bandulu posted:

Look I'm not going to attempt to answer on behalf of every oval office in here but we like him a lot more than that Paul Hogan oval office

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DumbparameciuM posted:

Look I'm not going to attempt to answer on behalf of every oval office in here but we like him a lot more than that Paul Hogan oval office

Pretty sure you're allowed to talk for all of us on this one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How much do you like those cunts better than that steve irwin oval office?

Also, which of those cunts would win in a fight? Assuming of course that that oval office steve irwin was still alive.

Paul hogan, as himself, not alligator dundee
Yahoo Serious as himself, I haven't even heard about that oval office in like 30 years
Steve Irwin, also as himself.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

wesleywillis posted:

Also, which of those cunts would win in a fight? Assuming of course that that oval office steve irwin was still alive.

Yahoo Serious as himself, I haven't even heard about that oval office in like 30 years

Please don't use the c-word if you're not from here. It is our culture. Your misuse of it equates to abuse.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

wesleywillis posted:

Steve Irwin is a national treasure and

Inceltown posted:

Please don't use the c-word if you're not from here. It is our culture. Your misuse of it equates to abuse.

Furthermore, none of them would fight each other as they're all tops and Steve's been dead for a few years now.

But it would absolutely be Steve.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Come on, I have a friend from Oz and he calls me one all the time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DumbparameciuM posted:

Steve Irwin is a national treasure and

Furthermore, none of them would fight each other as they're all tops and Steve's been dead for a few years now.

But it would absolutely be Steve.

Steve would never hurt an animal like Yahoo, so it's not a case of anyone winning and more a case of Hogan getting curb stomped by Steve 'Stingman' Irwin.

Yahoo is like 70+ at this point.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Wise pr move changing his name from Greg to Yahoo

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Outrail posted:

Yahoo is like 70+ at this point.

68. Hoges, on the other hand, is 82 and looks every day of it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ooh, dish! Why is Hogan a oval office? I just know him from the movies*.

*lol I saw Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles in the theatre.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Ooh, dish! Why is Hogan a oval office? I just know him from the movies*.

*lol I saw Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles in the theatre.

Paul Hogan is a tax cheat, and whilst I have no concrete instances of it, he is very much an old man "cancel culture is ruining comedy. boohoo it is so hard to be a rich old white man today" etc. kind of bloke. Also he is a plastic surgery nightmare. I always think of an old Roy and HG joke, "Hoges, they stretched your head" when I think of him. His old 70s TV show was cool though, (for the time. It is crazily racist and sexist by todays standards.)

On Yahoo Serious:
I liked Young Einstein as a film. It was clever and funny to little me. The Ned Kelly film he did, not so much. It just seemed like a rehash of all the same jokes. I didn't know he had a 3rd film.

On Steve Irwin:
This opinion puts me in the minority. But I never liked him much. In fact I had never heard of him really. He was initially way more famous in America than he was in Australia. I also really don't like his stage manager wife, and the way they pushed Bindi to do all the cheap cash grab half arsed projects cashing in on her dead dad's name. But Steve, always seemed to me to be a gormless, innocent. Fully enthusiastic and passionate about the wildlife he spent his life trying to protect. He was a good man, I just didn't care that much about him, and I distinctly find the performative idol worship of him to be distasteful. That's all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Definitely got the impression that Steves Wife could see he was a character and exploited that by making him a TV star. I think he was fine with it because he loved what he did and wanted to reach as many people as posible.

I went to school with this guys son: https://thewildlifeman.com.au/

always had him in the school with all sorts of cool animals to learn about.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 19, 2022

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Steve was a top bloke. Loved animals and nature and surfing and rugby league. His seppo missus can get in the fucken bin but. I dunno what it is but every yank I've had the displeasure of knowing is an absolute loving shitstain of a human. Probably the result of being from an absolute shitstain of a country. Should feel sorry for 'em really but on the other hand all those stupid cunts can get fucken hosed hey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Steve was into MMA apparently, he'd wreck the lot of em not even considering the age gap.

I think a lot of people would be either surprised that Yahoo Serious was real and even more surprised that he's still alive.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone post the prime minister

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Someone post the prime minister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICxswXG87lI