Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

bell jar posted:

Pnurtis?! Is that you?!

Whenever I see a rerun of "Pnurtis in Charge" on tv, I'll always watch it even if it's halfway through.

AITA for wanting more for Valentine's Day?

quote:

I (27f) have been married to my husband (28m) for over 3 years now & dated 7 years prior (total of 10 yrs together). I said a few different times all I wanted for Valentine's day was for him to cook steaks & to do a charcuterie board at home. We have a baby, so I was ok with not doing anything grand anyway.

I know my husband isn't typically a big gift giver because he gets stressed out about it. So I typically don't expect much from him, but he's made steak for us in previous Valentine's Day, so I didn't think it'd be a hard ask.

Fast forward to today, he called me on his way home from work & asked me what I wanted from Starbucks. I thought that was very sweet, but then he gets home, hands me the coffee & goes lay down to take a nap. When I asked him about dinner, he obviously had no plans. I felt sad & disappointed, but also felt ungrateful because he did make an extra stop to get me coffee. Well, when I went into the kitchen, I figured he'd at least picked me up some flowers too, but nothing.

When he wakes up from his 2 hr nap, he's being nice, but could tell I was upset. We ended up fighting a bit because he said "after 10 years, (he) didn't think he needed to do anything special" despite me telling him what I wanted & repeatedly saying how even though the holiday can be a scam, it's a good reminder to express your love for others..

He also said he didn't feel like making steak & asked me when he would've had time to get the stuff for a charcuterie board/meat for steaks (even though we just spent the whole weekend at home, lounging around). And apparently he was planning on picking up flowers on the way home, but he was already 30 minutes behind on his typical arrival time home & "figured I would rather have him home" yet he immediately went to take a nap.

I love him so much, & I really appreciate the effort of him getting me Starbucks, but I also feel like he decided he didn't want to make an effort for me, which makes me feel like he doesn't care. I've been having a really difficult time lately with life getting me down & we had a recent fight where he told me I needed to do my house chores because I was behind, but I really would've rather had him ask me if I was ok because I clearly have been struggling lately. I almost feel like him avoiding a sweet guesture is a sign that he doesn't want to be around me anymore.

He did eventually apologize saying he understood & then sat in the living room with me as I watched the bachelor, but I still feel off, but idk I'm just being ungrateful. AITA for expecting/wanting more from him on Valentine's Day?

Edit: I made him a nice breakfast yesterday (Sunday) for his Valentine's gift. I let him sleep in & woke him up with coffee & food on the table.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why I've always been suspicious of that years-long fad of making junk food out of vegetables. Your kids are just going to eat nothing but junk food as soon as they're out of your sight. But I'm one of those people who don't have kids so don't take my word for it.

What do you mean "making junk food out of vegetables?" Like people who will serve their kids broccoli boiled to tasteless mush but then cover it in melted velveeta so it tastes bad and is also super unhealthy? Or something else?

That's avoidable though. If parents model healthy eating habits and give their kids good food that is healthy and that they enjoy, they're pretty likely to keep eating that kind of food once they are making or buying their own meals. It's the same as sex, alcohol and other drugs, media consumption, driving, etc. If parents talk about it and give their kids good ideas about normal behavior, they won't feel the need to overcorrect the instant they get an ounce of freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Mum's get to call their sons whatever embarrassing diminutive they want. For all times.

I shouldn't need to include qualifications but this is reddit

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bell jar posted:

Pnurtis?! Is that you?!

Lol.

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to stop calling my 9 yo son "honey"?

i get called honey by old ladies at the shops on the regular and i would not call all of them my romantic partner

I kept bar briefly in Yorkshire about 20 years ago. Quickly got used to being called 'love' and 'darling' by old dudes who looked like they'd run with the Krays.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

exmachina posted:

Mum's get to call their sons whatever embarrassing diminutive they want. For all times.

I shouldn't need to include qualifications but this is reddit

I'm almost 40 and my Mom still calls me diminutive names. The only thing that's changed is that a few years ago I stopped being embarrassed by them.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to stop calling my 9 yo son "honey"?

Assuming there was any reason to find a real 'solution' to this (there isn't, just dump him). Then I guess I would suggest he ask her to use a different pet name for HIM, and keep using honey for the son.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Rescue Toaster posted:

Assuming there was any reason to find a real 'solution' to this (there isn't, just dump him). Then I guess I would suggest he ask her to use a different pet name for HIM, and keep using honey for the son.

Yeah. She should just call her boyfriend something else. Like “bitch” or “asswipe.”

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why does she need a pet name for the ex boyfriend she no longer interacts with?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

Lol.

I kept bar briefly in Yorkshire about 20 years ago. Quickly got used to being called 'love' and 'darling' by old dudes who looked like they'd run with the Krays.

When I worked in restaurants years ago, it was always cute when some of the staff would call me mija.

This dude could not call me that.

AITA for leaving my wife and our four kids at home to go to the Super Bowl?

quote:

Throwaway account as family members use Reddit.

Ok, so I (38M) have a wife (36F), and four children (ages 8-14). My buddies and I found some great deals on Super Bowl tickets in LA, so we bought the tickets and we flew out on the day before the Super Bowl. Even though neither the Rams nor the Bengals are my favorite team, I was very excited to watch the halftime show with some of my favorite rappers in it. Should also note that this was the first Super Bowl I have attended.

Here's the catch- the day of the Super Bowl was also my wife's birthday, and she was planning on just having a day to herself, going to the mall with friends, and getting a spa treatment. However, because I'm out of town, she had to take care of the kids that day. I offered to pay my eldest 200 bucks to take care of the younger siblings while my wife was out, but he said he wanted to go to the gym to hang out with his buddies. My wife wasn't exactly happy with the fact that she had to take care of the kids on her birthday, but I offered to treat her to a date at her favorite restaurant later, and while still sad, she agreed.

However, when I got back home yesterday, she started screaming at me and calling me an rear end in a top hat. She hasn't spoken to me since and is right now out of the house. AITA for going to the Super Bowl and leaving her with the kids at home?

Edit: Should probably mention I offered a babysitter for the younger children but my wife declined as the kids have had trouble in the past with babysitters.

Edit 2: Seeing the comments down below, I get it, I hosed up. I was being an immature, pathetic rear end in a top hat and I do not deserve such a great person as my wife. But if you could all please tone down the "YTA" on my 14-year old, c'mon guys, he's just a kid. I will apologize to her immediately after she gets home and will tell you guys about the make-up vacation I will plan for her once I ask her about it with her full agreement. Thanks for allowing me to realize my mistakes. Also for those wondering about the amount of money I spent, I have my own business and my wife also has a high-paying job but she is typically not a huge money-spender.

Edit 3: My wife came back home, and we talked a little. She says that she is willing to forgive me as I have admitted and apologized to her for loving up this. To make it up for her, I will buy her and her two best friends tickets to the Maldives (this is my wife's number 1 bucket list place to go), and I talked to the kids about treating their mother with respect and told them that I would try to set a better example for them. The kids listened closely and my fourteen-year-old agreed he should have also been more considerate. The younger ones are currently making cards for their mom about how much they love her and the older one has already promised to make a special breakfast for her.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

When I worked in restaurants years ago, it was always cute when some of the staff would call me mija.

[/spoiler]

At least he (a) actually seems to have realized he hosed up and be on the road to try and make up for it and (b) made sure to defend his kid instead of trying to deflect to him. That's pretty significant for an AITA OP!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for saying "sounds like a you problem" in response to my friend telling me his grandma died

quote:

So I've(23F) known this friend(26M) for about a three years now. We met in college and have only actually hung out a few times in person but we are far away from each other so nowadays our relationship is just texting and occasionally FaceTiming. Sometimes it gets flirty but I've been seeing someone else for a few months now so anything we had kind of fizzled.

Basically for the past month we've been texting almost every day. Its always friendly, mostly witty banter and we have a similar sense of dark humor so its easy to keep a conversation. He's always someone I can confide in when times are tough with guys, family, anything really. So this past weekend I told him that I was going back to my hometown and that we should meet up cause I haven't seen him in almost a year. He agreed and we decided on next Sunday.

Saturday night we were having our normal banter texting session and because it was almost valentines day I sent him one of those annoying chain texts with all the emojis to be funny. Immediately after I sent it he said "Oh never mind I'm busy Sunday". In response I said "Wow really dont want to hang out with me then? Thank god" as a joke and he didn't respond after that. I didn't think anything of it until today when he texted me this morning saying "Honestly I dont think so."

When I asked why he was being weird and he said "idk I got a lot going on". I didn't want to press it so I let him chill for a bit and decided to text him later.

So anyway we have this inside joke where we always say "sounds like a you problem" if something bad happens in our life happens. (ex. my dog died and he said that seems like a you problem) He texted me later that night saying his grandma died and I'm not really good with death and didn't know what to say so I said "Sounds like a you problem :(" which he liked and didn't respond to. Like 15 minutes later I followed up with "I'm so sorry for your loss let me know if there's anything I can do" but the text didn't go through. I realized then he blocked me on snapchat, instagram, even Venmo and blocked my number. In hindsight I know it probably wasn't the best thing to say but I thought it might cheer him up. I considered him one of my good friends and now he's just gone. AITA

quote:

My dog of 10 years was hit by a car and I was devastated. When I told him and the first thing he said was “wow that sounds like you problem.” I at least added an emoji To the end of it so he knew I wasn’t being serious

quote:

Just found out he lied about it to not hang out with me. All good will delete soon

uh

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my mom still calls me sugar tits

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Invisible Clergy posted:

What do you mean "making junk food out of vegetables?" Like people who will serve their kids broccoli boiled to tasteless mush but then cover it in melted velveeta so it tastes bad and is also super unhealthy? Or something else?
I'm talking about making chocolate chip cookies that have zucchini and kale and spinach in them. Just disgusting on multiple levels.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 16, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

kntfkr posted:

my mom still calls me sugar tits

Is your mom Mel Gibson?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

therobit posted:

Is your mom Mel Gibson?

don't doxx my mom

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Imagine having enough money to gently caress up this hard and fix it easily.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Cowslips Warren posted:

[/spoiler]

hope the next plane he gets on crashes

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
His wife's gonna cheat on him in thr maldives, I think theyre even

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Invisible Clergy posted:

broccoli boiled to tasteless mush...

Things that grow above the ground, green stuff like cabbage, broccoli, green beans, etc., are cooked by adding them to boiling water for two minutes - adding salt, pepper, and garlic to the water is optional but recommended. Root vegetables, things that grow underground, like potatoes or carrots, are added to cold water and brought to a boil.

Too many kids get put off of a major component of a healthy diet by parents who didn't learn this simple system. Share the good news ! Broccoli doesn't have to suck !

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the best way to cook carrots is to put them in cold water and then take them out of the cold water

(you can cook them in things but why would you ever just boil carrots :confused:)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

Things that grow above the ground, green stuff like cabbage, broccoli, green beans, etc., are cooked by adding them to boiling water for two minutes - adding salt, pepper, and garlic to the water is optional but recommended. Root vegetables, things that grow underground, like potatoes or carrots, are added to cold water and brought to a boil.

Too many kids get put off of a major component of a healthy diet by parents who didn't learn this simple system. Share the good news ! Broccoli doesn't have to suck !

Boomers grew up with cooking traditions being basically destroyed among white people. Thankfully it's becoming a dying stereotype of awful vegetables and suburban moms serving nondescript mush, but it's rooted in a terrible reality of the only good cooking these kids ever experienced being takeout.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
New story! This is a good kid.

AITA For getting a bully removed from the lacrosse team and potentially eliminating her chances of going to college?

quote:

I (17F) know a girl named Abi through our mutual friend, Marie. Abi and I don’t have enough in common to be best friends but I know she’s a kind person. Abi has dyslexia, which is relevant. Luckily, the school is very accommodating; Abi’s teachers give her audio files of school-required textbooks and novels and she’s also excused from the “Times New Roman only” rule on assignments because it’s hard for her to read.

This girl who Abi has a class with, Julie, noticed Abi’s dyslexia and started bullying her. She was saying ableist stuff like calling Abi an r-word, then started fat-shaming Abi (who isn’t even overweight but even if she were it's still not okay.) Julie came to the lunch table recently to continue harassing Abi, so I and some of our other friends went with Abi to the office to explain the situation.

The next day, Julie got called into the office. I, Marie, and another friend were called in to be witnesses. Cue Julie’s crocodile tears about how her parents were struggling financially because of covid, another infraction would mean her being kicked off the lacrosse team and that a lacrosse scholarship is her only chance to be able to afford college. The vice principal said this one wouldn’t be counted on her record but if she continued to bully Abi then there would be serious consequences.

We hoped that would be the end of it but we were wrong; Neither Abi or I use social media, so we only found out through Marie texting us that Julie made a social media post to bully Abi. It was a drawing depicting Abi as a pig and Julie put that Abi was an “r-word” and “snitch” in the captions.

I immediately screenshotted the post and brought it to the school counselor the next day. I discover through the school gossip train that this got Julie removed from the lacrosse team and placed under academic probation for bad behavior. Luckily, Julie finally stopped bullying Abi but now Julie’s friends are sending me Teams Chats saying that I’m a horrible person, I need to learn to take a joke, and I ruined Julie’s life and gave her depression because now she can’t go to college.

I still think I did the right thing and so does my family and the friend group. Julie’s friends’ messages are making me doubt myself and if I took it too far. Aita?

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 16, 2022

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Please don’t ever boil carrots.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For getting a bully removed from the lacrosse team and potentially eliminating her chances of going to college?

girl already knows snitching works, Julie's friends is playing with fire

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dazerbeams posted:

Please don’t ever boil carrots.

What if I wanna mash 'em together with potatoes and add olive oil and vinegar?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to call my daughter Jinx

quote:

I (45m) have a daughter (21f) who I lost contact with about 7 years ago when me and my wife got divorced and she got custody. We recently got back into contact. We had went out for coffee this last Saturday and she told me she felt uncomfortable with me calling her Lillian and that she would prefer I call her jinx as that’s what she’s gone by for the past 6 ish years. I told her I wouldn’t call her that as it has negative connotation and as her birth name is beautiful and what I’ve known her as her whole life. I also told her I’m her father and get to decide what I call my daughter. She got mad and said then I wouldn’t get to see her if I don’t respect her name. I think she’s being ridiculous and her mom reached out to call me a douchebag.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mx. posted:

This Die Another Day prequel sucks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

When an Bronze Dad tries to ask for critiques from Diamond Parents

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

Gonna have to call fake because a school did something about bullying.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

mllaneza posted:

Oh, I know. I like broccoli because I know how to cook. That is a good mnemonic for people who are learning to cook; I'll definitely remember it.

therobit posted:

Gonna have to call fake because a school did something about bullying.

Yeah, same.

AITA for refusing to talk to my boyfriend after he started debating?

quote:

I was telling my boyfriend about the extracurricular of debate. Basically, I believe the concept of util is broken and you could argue that slavery is morally justified. He then started debating me and inserting his own political opinions into the conversation, whereas i was only trying to tell him about a concept I found interesting.

I ignored him and I was going to let it slide, but he asked me what was wrong and I explained that I didn't appreciate how he was trying to debate when I was obviously not debating. He then told me I was a hypocrite because last night he was talking about how lawyers have a set pathway where they go to law school for a degree, take the bar, etc etc. I said that you can take the bar in California without a law degree.

He didn't mention his upsetness, but he was quiet so I asked what happened and he said everything was fine so I didn't even know I did something wrong.

I agree that I was hypocritical, but I don't think that it's fair for me to guess what he'll be upset at. There are some things he doesn't like that I'm fine with, and vice versa.

e: as per a comment Okay, so just as an elaboration, speech and debate is very different than debate. speech and debate is a college extracurricular, and I was discussing the meta side of debate. I was simply offering up slavery as an example, not actually voicing any opinions on slavery. TLDR: I debated something, bf didn't mention it made him mad, bf did the same thing I did, made me upset, he called me a hypocrite

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for refusing to talk to my boyfriend after he started debating?

They are an rear end in a top hat just because of the way they write. I felt exhausted halfway through reading that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

edgeman83 posted:

They are an rear end in a top hat just because of the way they write. I felt exhausted halfway through reading that.

I'm pretty sure their boyfriend is right, they're a hypocrite, because I wouldn't want to talk to them at all.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for expecting my husband to ask before changing a dish?

quote:

My husband (32M) and I (27F) love cooking. We’re both very good at it. One problem I’ve always had with him is he tends to be very pushy with his suggestions on how to make a dish better, different, more exciting etc. I usually have no problem with this, but there’s two situations I don’t want to change anything in a dish: if it’s my first time cooking the dish from a recipe, or if I’m craving a particular flavour from that dish.

When I say suggestions, I don’t mean if the dish needs more salt. He usually likes to come and taste what I’m cooking and he will sometimes suggest adding spices or other elements that would change the entire flavour of the dish. Which is okay, but sometimes I don’t really feel like changing it up and I say no. In these moments he will push and push, to the point where I’ve simply resorted to just saying “no” each time until he gets the point.

Today I was making a curry from a cookbook for the first time, and in the middle of cooking I needed to tend to my baby so I asked him to take over stirring the pot for me. I guess he tasted it and started adding other things to the dish, even though this dish didn’t call for those things. When I came back he told me what he did and I got upset. He does this to me a lot and all I ask is that if I’m cooking, to please ask if you want to add anything or change anything BEFORE you do it.

I told him to please not do that again, and he said if he asked I would have said no and he wanted to show me how good these additions will make the dish. I told him it’s not about how good it is, it’s about respecting me when I ask him not to do something without asking.

He told me when he was little, to encourage him to take part in cooking his mom would always have him taste whatever she was cooking and ask what he thought it needed. She would always add whatever he suggested, even if it didn’t turn out well. He said by doing that he’s made some 7/10 dishes turn into 10/10 because he’s not afraid to take risks. Which I appreciate, but we split the cooking 50/50- he has his days to experiment, and by all means I welcome suggestions, but that sometimes I’m going to say no and I should be allowed to do so without being bullied into saying yes or having to shut him down in order for him to back off.

We went back a forth a bit, with him saying I’m escalating the situation for no reason and to stop being so mean to him. I told him I’m not trying to, I’m just trying to make him understand. He said “don’t worry, I’ll never make any suggestions again because I’m traumatized from this situation”.

I don’t get it. I just asked him to ask beforehand- the entire situation could have ended with a “sorry dear, no problem, I’ll ask next time”. But I had to keep repeating myself and he said I “reamed him out” by not just letting it go.

Am I really the AH for this?

man

phew

just imagining the life where that is the most traumatic thing that's happened

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Invisible Clergy posted:

a plastic piece of junk novelty you can buy for $20 with none of the profits going to the OP.

So my wife is a tiny little 5'2" 120lb woman, but apparently has poops 7" long with the density of depleted uranium. We own a wide variety of plungers.

Anyway, after mentioning offhandedly that she's really tired of breaking up her poops by hand I found and ordered this thing, and I want you to know that they didn't skimp on the materials. It is a quality product. Solid steel interior with a silicone covering so it won't scratch the bowl.

She is quite happy with it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m closing the thread now. We have reached the zenith. Any other post beyond the poop knife wife trip report is mere chaff.

It has been a pleasure, goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6f7j1E61sM

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

ibntumart posted:

AITA for taking away my wife's car keys because she took away my TV?

How hard can it possibly be to look for a 65 inch TV in a house? It's not like she stuck it in a loving junk drawer.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Beachcomber posted:

So my wife is a tiny little 5'2" 120lb woman, but apparently has poops 7" long with the density of depleted uranium. We own a wide variety of plungers.

Anyway, after mentioning offhandedly that she's really tired of breaking up her poops by hand I found and ordered this thing, and I want you to know that they didn't skimp on the materials. It is a quality product. Solid steel interior with a silicone covering so it won't scratch the bowl.

what a thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Well its been a pleasure thread https://youtu.be/JXEPi7cnJ08

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

How hard can it possibly be to look for a 65 inch TV in a house? It's not like she stuck it in a loving junk drawer.

She probably sold it.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’m out here trying to quietly lurk in this thread, and now the poop knife story is coming from inside the house.

Anyway, here’s chaff tax for posting for the first time.

WIBTA for telling my friend that her the caterer I’m using for my wedding is over budget for hers?

quote:

Already let me apologize for the typo in the title, I didn’t catch it in time 😅

Backstory: I (24F) am getting married in December of this year. One of my closest friends (26F) is also getting married this September.

I was raised by my grandparents that have been saving for major life events for my siblings and I since we came into their care while we were young. They are footing most of the bill for my wedding minus some things that my fiancé and I wanted but did not want to ask them for & to contribute to our own wedding. Total being spent on my wedding including my all of my family’s contribution and mine is about $15k. My fiancés family is also contributing the costs of the rehearsal dinner, florals, and slotting us some funds for our honeymoon.

I’ve been close friends with this girl, we’ll call her L, since we were in high school. Her parents both work for our church, her mom works for a cleaning service also and her dad is a mechanic. She’s asked me to be a bridesmaid and I’m very excited. My bridal party is only family as I wanted to keep it small and only have my sisters & cousin, otherwise L would most definitely be one of my bridesmaids. L is choosing to have her wedding & reception at the church we grew up in for free. I fully support this and am also getting married at our church, but choosing to have my reception at a venue that is special to my fiancé and I. L’s budget is much more limited than mine is, and I have helped her hand make decorations, invitations, and dress shop.

Here is our dilemma: My caterer is expensive, totaling close to $5000 for my buffet, the servers, the bartenders, the silverware and plates, along with some other services. I wanted to go with a cheaper caterer, but my grandparents insisted that they wanted to cover this particular caterer as they loved their food. The caterer is one of the most popular in our area and are often recommended. L has been having a hard time finding a caterer in her budget, and asked me about mine. I’ve been avoiding the question, I don’t talk about my wedding much to her as I don’t want her to compare the two and possibly have her embarrassed at her smaller budget or less lavish plans. I love her and want her to love her day. Her budget for catering is less than half of what mine was. She found out who my caterer was recently when she overheard my grandmother ask me a question about guest numbers so she could send it to caterer. She got excited and said that if they were in my budget, then they probably were in hers too, although her and I have never discussed what exactly my budget was. She set an appointment with them to book. She believes that she can find an option from them that is in her budget, but I know their minimum package is still over her budget.

WIBTA if I told her that the caterer she wants is way too expensive, or do I let her go to the meeting and find out herself? I don’t want her to feel embarrassed or deceived when meeting with them, but don’t want to hurt her feelings if I tell her they are over budget beforehand.

Edit: removed identifying info

INFO: I should have clarified earlier that I work in finance and she came to me and asked me to help her create a budget and stick to it, I sat down with her and we went over all the details on what she’s willing to spend and what her major priorities for her wedding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mx. posted:

AITA for expecting my husband to ask before changing a dish?

man

phew

just imagining the life where that is the most traumatic thing that's happened

It would really piss me off and he is totally the rear end in a top hat for disregarding her.

Also, look at these scrubs boiling not roasting their vegetables.